Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Grand Massif 2011/2012 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
geoffknight, Not open yet. Saw a couple of cabins moving on it yesterday, presumably testing it. No sign of it being opened at the moment.

rboland93, The run down to Morillon village appeared to be open but I didn't investigate very closely. Temperatures up tp 7 or 8C in the afternoon so it will be quite soft if there is snow cover. No sign of any snow at the moment. Went down Marvel yesterday, in beautiful condition, it really is a lovely run, although lots of ski schools use it. Went into the Gers bowl in the afternoon, snow is very crusty so not for the feint hearted. Temperature 7C at the bottom of the DMC at 4pm. Off piste softens up a bit in the afternoon so not too bad, but no powder at all.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did the Red run down to Morrillon yesterday on a board, was ok to the half way point and then very icy from then on, the last 200yds were pretty scary:)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chris Mason wrote:
geoffknight, Not open yet. Saw a couple of cabins moving on it yesterday, presumably testing it. No sign of it being opened at the moment.

rboland93, The run down to Morillon village appeared to be open but I didn't investigate very closely. Temperatures up tp 7 or 8C in the afternoon so it will be quite soft if there is snow cover. No sign of any snow at the moment. Went down Marvel yesterday, in beautiful condition, it really is a lovely run, although lots of ski schools use it. Went into the Gers bowl in the afternoon, snow is very crusty so not for the feint hearted. Temperature 7C at the bottom of the DMC at 4pm. Off piste softens up a bit in the afternoon so not too bad, but no powder at all.

Thanks for the reply, its our 5th year to the GM and have never been on Marvel, have always skiied Sairon each year and really enjoyed it, so will make sure we try it this year is snow is still OK. SCGB weather report shows snow due in next few days, could be a nice top up in time for the 10th Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry for delay in reporting, wifi went down in apartment. Wednesday was even warmer, 13C at bottom of DMC at 2pm. Thankfully there is sufficient base to cope with this. Mrs M revisited the Gers bowl and reported that much friendlier. Went out of the bottom and went to the restaurant before hitting Cascades. Hadn’t booked so no chance. Off piste softened in the pm and area to the left of Mephisto (off top of the Egg) was OK, although heavily tracked. The snow base means that although the snow gets very heavy in the afternoon there is still plenty of fun to be had. Mrs M also reports that can ski down to Morrillon Village, although there are some bare patches.

So now to Thursday. Skied with SKGB today. Went up Lindars Nord twice and down Agate. Although only about an hour apart conditions were massively different. Lack of the Egg means that access mainly by Desert Blanc/Lapiaz drag. Stupid queues on Aujon drag. As it warmed up hard moguls became soft snow, but still very good fun.| Pistes quite fast in the morning. Went over to Samoens for lunch, Luge de Terroir (sp?) excellent, just below Gouilles chair. Salad d’Ocean for €12 was very good. Very warm again. Back to Flaine for the pm, some bare patches appearing on exposed runs (l’Aventure, a run I’ve never seen before off the bottom of Tourmaline) but 5pm drinks at the top of the DMC followed by a sprint down to the bottom capped a wonderful day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Mason, Sounds great, I'm sorry you missed the fantastic conditions of two weeks ago. But there's so much depth it's bound to last.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It sound very different from the dry powder of 2 weeks ago

Chris Mason, have you been down to les carroz? just wondering whats its like in all this warm weather, top of timalets just after the last restaurant must be a sludge fest. slushy moguls are good fun however.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carroz, It's OK in the morning but gets heavy after midday.

Never has the old cliche 'best conditions at the top' been truer! From Flaine went straight to Samoens this am and then down Velarge to Vercland. Have never skiied that far down before. Parts were icy and towards the bottom there was some tarmac, but was still a good run and an experience that may take a few years to repeat. Sadly, I doubt whether the run will open for much longer. Last night it did not freeze at Foret level so was very warm by 10am. Need to keep as high as possible but run down to Molliets chair was still OK at midday. As carroz, says, slushy moguls can be fun, in my case they flatter my sking ability.

In the afternoon went up Lindars Nord and down Agate. So tracked out that it is difficult to tell the official route from the numerous variations but still good fun. The queues have been horrible the last few days, I guess made worse by the fact that people have been coming over into the bowl in search of firmer conditions. Will be sking tomorrow (Saturday) until about 3pm, then back to GVA and London. Despite the depth of snow the thaw in the last week has been very noticeable and unless temperatures fall to more sensible levels all the good work the Snow Gods did earlier in the season will be undone. More snow is needed to make the off piste worthwhile and lower temperatures are needed to preserve what is already there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris Mason, Thank you, hope your last day was good, saturdays in half term usually are, the queues vanish.........you ski while all the rest queue down the mountain. Hopefully there will be some snow left in 3 weeks time..... Puzzled Unlike last year!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris Mason wrote:
Parts were icy and towards the bottom there was some tarmac, but was still a good run and an experience that may take a few years to repeat. Sadly, I doubt whether the run will open for much longer.

I'm popping out on Monday for a few days - those conditions sound right up my alley (I do love a bit of tarmac here and there - keeps everyone honest) so I'll have a go and report back.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27, better take some ptex then!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's our turn at last. Finished packing. Will be in Geneva at 3.15 tomorrow. Hope the snow holds off until nighttime. Then it can snow every night and bluebird every day... Wishful thinking. Will try to post updates.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from a week on Morillon 1100. We only get the Massif pass. The first part of the week was sunny and cool. Finding sun softened pistes became a priority. Second half was quite warm. Rather nice after all the -10 we were getting at home a couple of weeks previously.

Good snow cover everywhere. We went down to Morillon village a couple of times on the red and it was starting to develop some brown patches near the bottom. Overall the best we have seen it at this time of year.

I like the new fun boardercross in Morillon. More interesting and also safer compared to previous years as there is no longer a parallel piste. People still seem to like stopping in the middle and joining the run without looking though.

Queues not too bad. Can just take the slower chairs instead of standing around. The Bergin chair never has a queue and the corresponding red run is rarely busy.

We didn't go anywhere near Lanche. There was even a long queue warning sign at the top of the run down.

Finally, of the two restaurants by the Pleine Soleil chair, the lower is way more expensive despite being self service and having no other obvious advantage.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nessy, You are right about the boarder cross type area - good fun, but some little idiot cut in on me too... he knew I wasn't happy though Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Back in London now. Skied yesterday until about 2.30. From Flaine at 10am (had to clean apartment before skiing) up Grands Vans and down past Lac de Vernant to Molliets chair. Had frozen over night in Foret so freezing level probably at about 1300m. Was 0C at top of Grands Vans. Pistes hard but softening. Noticeably colder than in previous days, thankfully. Down to Carroz via Timalets, softening but nearly deserted (lots of debutantes up on Plein Soleil) so could fly down. Went down Combe for the first time ever (blue past bottom of Gron chair) - says a lot for the depth of snow that, despite the warm temps, it is still skiing well in the morning. Then down to Morillon for coffee at L'Beu via Bergin and Sairon. Getting softer by now but stlll fairly empty. No queue on Lanche on way back up (is this a first?) and down to Samoens for crepes at Mimy's. Excellent value. Chariande 2, Chariande Express, Sortilege (soft by this time, 1.30), Combe de Veret and back to apartment for packing and GVA.

Great week but it needs to get colder and/or more snow because conditions are going to worsen considerably if weather stays like this for much longer. Snow slips starting (Axinite and Olivine pistes hit by small slips Thursday and Friday) - too small to call avalanches, but leaving bare slopes behind them. Was slightly surprised at how busy GM was but should have looked at half term times for rest of Europe. Lot of Dutch in GM and was still French half term for some of France. Back out in 4 weeks time, just praying for another big dump.

snowmam, keep those posts going and have a good week.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Mason wrote:
carroz, It's OK in the morning but gets heavy after midday.

Never has the old cliche 'best conditions at the top' been truer! From Flaine went straight to Samoens this am and then down Velarge to Vercland. Have never skiied that far down before. Parts were icy and towards the bottom there was some tarmac, but was still a good run and an experience that may take a few years to repeat. Sadly, I doubt whether the run will open for much longer.

On Thursday we did Marmottes for the first couple of hours untill pretty much everything was in the sun and below 2000m got very heavy, then we headed to Verlarge, best midday conditions we had found for days, we did it a couple of times, i think with the fresh snow forcast, it should be skiiable until early next week.
These was a sign for stones on the traverse for the last few hundred metres, but the rest of the run was OK, just a few spots of ice.

i was following a friend down the red to Morillon 700, and he had roostertails of water coming off the back of his skiis! the all important steep section next to the gondola was holding up well though, so should have at least another week of skiing to 700m.
For the last 3 days of our trip, we just got 4h passes as it was very heavy after 1PM.
latest report
nessy wrote:

We didn't go anywhere near Lanche. There was even a long queue warning sign at the top of the run down.

i was there last week, we used Lanche most days and never queued once.
It is a nightmare with a que, two years ago, it stopped working for 15mins, and the queue got to 50m long and people were walking back up out of the valley.
slow lifts definately the way to go when its warm and sunny at half term, particularly the two parallel to the Chariande Express.
snow report
Hi arrived sunday snowed Sunday night and part of Monday prob about 10 cms. Freshened everything up or must have because monday aft sun came out and today too and we've had some of the best skiing in three years in the grand massif. Coverage excellent and great powder yesterday as snow came down after piesteurs had done their work. Been all around morillon and les carroz all piestes skiing brill. Love it!!!
snow report
Beautiful.Bluebird day yesterday. Did all around les carroz Morillon but had to go to village to hire toboggans for descent de luge or downhill toboggan run on Marvel at 5. Great fun costs 6 euro. On each wed eve tickets at lift pass office. Hire of luge 3-5 euro but reserve them in ski shop when you arrive cause they book out quickly. That's why we had to go to village.

Snowing today another ten cm down so far. We sitting in lafionne resteraunt on Timalets at mo drinking van chaud. Staying cold so snow is perfect. Tues aft area below here was getting soft but yest and today firmed up and skiing brill.

Lanche as usual jammed warnings out yest at top about the wait so avoided it. Flaine tomorrow when the sun comes out as determined to try cascades.
snow report
snowmam, Yes, you must do Cascades. Everyone skiing GM should do it at least once.
snow report
Yes I've heard that and have wanted to do it before but not enough snow so hopefully after today there'll be a nice new layer on it so will let you know how we do.
latest report
I think they must have spent some money refurbishing L'Anfionne.

Seemed to have changed radically when we visited in February Smile
ski holidays
elgrego, They were doing all of that in the summer.......won't go near the horrible place....yuk Twisted Evil

snowmam, hope you are good at tucking, just watch the rollers at the top, can be a bit uphill in parts, but its very pretty.

the bottom can be a little icy and stoney

if you do it early the Sixt ski area is ok for a couple of hours, but don't miss the bus!
latest report
Carroz. Agree lanfionne a bit smelly if you sit outside but their panini are gorge. Yum.

Today fab bluebird day but cold enough to keep snow perfect. Went to Flaine all runs we did were fab then did cascades to sixt. As you said its fantastic scenery bit of polling on the uphill bits but worth it for the views. Last 2km were sheer ice with sugar on top very scary lots of people and bare ice in centre with piles of sugar either side. Scary!!!

Last day tomorrow so sad another ski holiday nearly over but we've had a great week. Best yet.
snow conditions
snowmam, excellent its being good, cascades views are very good...shame about the ice........ the frozen waterfalls are pretty spectacular however.

pleased snow is keeping well, as back in 2 weeks ish Very Happy

enjoy tomorrow, saturday skiing is usually v good
snow report
just back from GM via a few days in Samoens with the nice people at skiweekender.com

Highlights;

Good snow all over the area above about 1200m
Tree lined runs above Lex Carroz & Morrilon
Stunning view of the Mont Blanc range from the top of Flaine bowl
Deserted Vercland bubble very easy way up & down to 1600

Lowlights;

Quite a lot of queues (my fault, still skool hols)
Some key GM links are still slow chairs
Flaine skiing not to my taste
very few steep pistes

Had 2 days of sun then a snowy day so a small top up for those out there now.
ski holidays
snowmam, Glad you did Cascades. The bottom is often icy but you're getting pretty low. I've seen some intermediates looking somewhat worried - probably best for some to hold a firm snowplough and take it slow.
snow conditions
Glad I did it too but queues of people snow plowing down last bit was crazy. Ah well we had a great time.
Yesterday was brill quiet slopes no queues at lifts pistes beautifully groomed and skiing a dream. Came down cupoire red in les carroz a bit too fast and came off top of one hill airborne, saw my life flash before me but thankfully landed well although not on my skis. I ache all over. Looking forward to my own bed tonight and not looking forward to work in the morn... But another fab week in the grand massif and roll on next year.

Hope all heading out in next few weeks have a great time.
snow report
red 27, I found a few steep pistes, but would have enjoyed them a lot more if they were bashed!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from week in Flaine 10th to 17th, snow in very good condition at start of the week, however it was a warm week, with not a cloud in sight, so we experienced thaw and freeze conditions as the week went on, resort seemed quieter than same week in previous years, very little ques to deal with apart from the DMC (which I hate and tend to use the chairs and enjoy the fresh air most of the time) Aup de Veron bubble still out of action doubt it will be on until next season now. All in all a great week, counting down the days until next years trip unless my numbers came up while we were away Puzzled Just had quick look at Flaine website reporting snow and lower temps over next couple of days, good for those still to go out and enjoy
snow report
Anyone there to let us know what the conditions are like?
snow report
Have only recently joined Snowheads and have been watching these updates closely!! we are going next Friday- and are hoping the Marvel run and Cascades will remain open 'till then...both were closed when we went this time last year..
snow report
donzy3030, Welcome to SH. Its rather late in the season... but if ever there were a year, this is it. It's been a mega snow season thus far. Have a great time.... I'm Jealous - not been since half term.
ski holidays
I'm leaving friday 23rd to drive out so plan to arrive sat 24th. Also trying to get an idea of what is still available snow wise.
This is the latest (family with 2 kids) we've ever gone so fingers crossed.
Any more info about samoens/morillon/les carroz would be appreciated if anyone is there?
snow report
donzy3030, You will have a great time, were are just back last Saturday. We skiied Cascades for the first time this year having been to Flaine for the last 6 years. Unless you have a very good dump of snow I would not bother with it, it is basically after the first 2-3km a green road, which was very soft for the last 3km when we did it on the 19th March. I came away feeling that I had missed out on a half days skiing in the rest of the GM and having now done it would never bother with it again, I think there a much better slopes to spend our precious skiing time on. I know that some will damm me for saying this, but if you look back at other threads similar opinions are posted. Enjoy your time, wish I could get out again this season.
snow conditions
Thanks for the welcome posts, Yeah late in the season to go -we've already said next year we'll go a lot earlier!! Have been watching the snow depths diminishing and jumping with envy looking at all the webcams!! Geoff the 'green road' sounds about right for half of our group- and I include myself in that half!- will have to give it a go if it's open Smile On a completely different note- how do you highlight users names in bold in a post??
snow report
donzy3030, click their name on the left and in magically appears in the box donzy3030,
snow report
donzy3030, Try Marvel (Green) and Sairon (lovely flattering blue in good conditions) in Morrillon first, if you find them heavy or icy I would avoid Cascades, if you do go the link opens at 10am from the top of the DMC - the gondola, would suggest you do it early rather than late, post once you back would be good to have your thoughts on it, and the GM at that time of year NehNeh
snow report
Marvel is the worlds best green run!.. Was perfect 3 weeks ago, but i realise that's not really very helpful...
ski holidays
geoffknight, Thanks, we are staying literally at the bottom of those 2 runs in Morillon Les Esserts, so will def give them a try first Very Happy !! May send the OH off to try cascades before I head off down it then...One week left at work! - wish we were there 3 weeks ago red 27,it's been a long old month waiting!!
ski holidays
donzy3030, At this time of year cascades will be a stone fest at the base, if you have your own skis then i would avoid it. Its good for the views, the waterfalls may be starting a bit as well, but as a ski run it leaves a little to be desired.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy