Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Nice analogy!

IMO it's up to an individual what they do but I would choose to take an expert's opinion over what is safe (open) or not, much like it is wise to listen to an expert re what off piste is safe. We trust pisteurs in deeming when pistes are safe after a snow fall, why would you not trust a pisteur when they say a piste isn't safe. I also think it is a bit selfish ignoring closed piste signs, as mentioned before there could be many reasons why things are closed and you could be spoiling things for other skiers/boarders in the future. The subject of whether your insurance covers you if a piste is closed is a daft one, it's not much good for you if you are killed in an avalanche or because you've hit an obstacle you couldn't see.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beeryletcher wrote:
Let's suppose we are going to cross a train track at a crossing and the barrier is closed and lights and bells are ringing. Some people might think that they can make their own decision if it is safe or not. After all they could be somewhere where there is no barrier and have to make the decision anyway, so it is clearly all the same thing. NOT ! Someone has been kind enough to tell you there is a train coming !

fair enough, but there you can take it pretty much as a given that a train is coming, and a piste closure sign by itself doesn't necessarily mean that an avalanche or piste basher or other significant hazard is imminent. Part of assessing the risk is thinking about the conditions in the round to take an educated guess about what may be waiting for you on the other side of the barrier. You don't have to think about that if a level crossing is down, because you know it means the train is definitely coming!

Skullie

Whether most people (myself included) have enough knowledge to make that call is a different question, but it's the same as skiing offpiste without a guide (and even the experts can only do so much to mitigate your risk).

Very sad news for all involved in the incident at VdI, anyway. When the snow has been poor and runs not open it's definitely tempting to have at it as soon as the cover seems sufficient.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Johnnyseven, it's certainly not pointless to question whether your insurance covers you on a closed piste. If you fall and twist your knee or bash your head it could cost you a great deal of money.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You're quite right, but I was mostly referring to closed/off piste discussion about risk of avalanche - insurance won't do you much good if you're killed by one. Personally I prefer to minimise the risk of that happening. But as I said, it's up to the individual to decide what risk they're willing to take.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even if you're dead your family might be glad not to be presented with a bill for search and rescue. And what about repatriating your corpse?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dogwatch, I'm not disagreeing with santons, just the statements that saying you should NEVER ski a closed piste.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
....... hmmmmmmm all GREAT chat folks - it is good to talk things through and discuss opinions - but to be honest I am a little lost with the conversation somewhat.

All in all there are so many grey areas but the insurance companies and the pisteurs / French law etc treats the piste as one thing and everything else as another so whether it is closed or 'off piste' it would be treated the same.

However the best way I like to think of avalanche risk and being just off the side of the run is whether where you are could (if it avalanched) affect the piste, buildings, lifts or infrastructure. So yes the insurance company etc would say a mm to the side of the piste is off piste BUT in reality a professional can make the executive decision (for the right or wrong) that being in that place will not slide as the piste etc would not be in danger and as a result the need for packs etc is negated. For example on the Face at the wall section there is a path that is often closed - for fear of avalanche risk from above.... that path is NOT a piste but everyone skis it.

In this day and age however persons are much more likely to stray into danger zones and creep happens across a bowl (for example).... one person skis line x... next person to the left of that track and so on and so forth until suddenly the 400th person is now 100 yards from the piste and that 400th person is in danger.... for that reason a large margin of error is given when the pisteurs open a piste for example. For example:

I am a great believer in the idea that 'knowledge is power' - in relation to avalanche risk etc - step away from the piste and you have to be understanding of the risks you are taking. The professional or most experienced person in the group by defacto (is that the correct word) takes on this role implicitly so calculations are made as to whether it is safe or not.

A closed run could be closed for a number of reasons but it should be considered as to why it is closed before deciding to ski it or not - as the law / insurance only operates in black and white it is deemed wrong but there could be lots of reasons for it so again it comes around to 'knowledge' and training.

The point about asking if anyone has insurance etc before heading off the side of the piste to do a rut line for example - as soon as you pay the professional for their services they are in control of making a safe decision and likewise insurance companies generally have no issues with that. From a professional point of view we do not have a need to see if someone is insured or not to this end as it does not affect us directly that is the clients issue.

On another point I totally agree with what you are saying chocksaway - it is worrying if some of these things are true. It is cool to be the 'bad' boy which is great until something goes wrong. I always think that off piste skiing (as I mentioned yesterday) is like Russian Roulette - that is why so many people 'risk' it - the heuristic factor of the last 5000 people were ok so I will be OK. Like the following (old) photo (not from Val d'Isere):

So your job is to fill the revolver with as MANY empty chambers as possible.... but there is always a risk. You are quite likely to get away with it but that does not mean it is safe on a slope. Being the 'bad boy' and getting away with it fuels the unfounded belief that it is OK and when something does happen the natural response as in this video is that is a 'risk' rather than adding that he could have minimised the risk by doing more to put empty chambers in his gun - e.g. as you say a less aggressive entry.... BUT we dont know what happens 'behind the camera' he could have dug a pit or cut the slope a bit higher up for all we know!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
.... OK back to todays update now.......
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Well folks it has been an interesting day.

The weather was initially a little grey - there had been some snow overnight but nothing too much - as soon as I finished writing last night it obviously stopped snowing. However by action time it was starting to snow pretty heavily - no wind and lovely light fluffy snow - perfect. Everything was open and the vis was not too bad!

I headed to Madelaine with the same person as I have been teaching most mornings this week - he tells me that a year or so back the thought of heading there in todays weather would have horrified him a year ago so I must be doing something right as he was smiling by the time I finished with him up there today!

Anyway we lapped around about a half dozen times.

It seems to be very quiet up there this morning - certainly initially. I think many people would have opened their curtains this morning and assumed that either it was horrendous up there or things would not be open in great quantities.

So we had the place to ourselves more or less - yay!

Bit by bit the weather closed in more and the snow intensity increased. By lunchtime we had about 30cm's of fresh snow up there (when coupled with the little fresh we had yesterday afternoon). There was little wind.

After lunch in town I headed up the Olympic as I was meeting my pm lesson at the Fruitiere... when I got out the top of the Olympique I realised that in the last hour the weather had worsened. It was now snowing VERY hard and there was bit of a gale brewing.... it was a blizzard and the snow was pilling up so quickly.

I attempted to do my periscope from near the hut where I broadcast from a couple of weeks back on the flat section of the OK Orange run before the Folie....

https://t.co/hFdwRENhm1 and for non Periscope followers (get the app its fun and you can join in live!): https://ktch.tv/5Q65

However I managed about 30 secs before the battery on my phone died - I had realised there was a chance of that happening as I had not charged my charger case last night and my main battery was only 90% at 9am.... but there you go... however in this 30s you get a flavour for the conditions up there - and this was mid afternoon before it got really bad!

The afternoon was spent lapping around down to La Daille with young Henry and the amount of snow got greater and greater and greater. The wind however also got up and so did the temps so the snow got pretty heavy and sticky by the end of the day. This will mean it is good for 'pisting' but not so great for 'champagne' powder off piste.... but hey I'm just being picky there as there was lots of whoops and ahh's in the trees (from people skiing them) all around the pistes as we skied down to La Daille!

By the time I got home I was rather damp it has to be said. Clare had not been working this afternoon so had a very 'messy' time doing art with Olivia which was nice to come home to. A quick shower to warm up and change before I managed my second attempt at my scope today... it was quick one and I had been rather thrown by the earlier technical glitch so not up to my standards I like to set myself - short and brief here it is:

https://t.co/e9F2Pdm66D and the Katch versions open to all: https://ktch.tv/5Qsd

Clare is now out babysitting for someone and I have control of the tv remote for once!!!!!

- if it wasn't for the car door being opened you would struggle to tell which mound is that of a car wouldn't you!

Weather wise it is seriously howling up there - the PIDA avalanche control starts at 7am tomorrow (there will be lots to clear). I have no idea what they they will be able to open or do tomorrow as it could be very spicy up there. I think the winds and snow could ease off overnight but we shall see.

TTFN
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
....woops forgot... not that I am in any way that interested but know that some readers here may be.... look who was at Le Folie Douce yesterday afternoon:

Photo courtesy of Le Folie Douce

Louis Tomlinson (on the right as we look) (apparently) from One Direction!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We watched your struggles today on Periscope and I think Clare had the best option this afternoon!
Our daughter is now asking why did we go to Val d'Isere 3 weeks ago and not this week,because she could have meet Louis

rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Steveee, ha, he didn't mention that. Hopefully this snow continues and we'll have a powder day or two!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dogwatch wrote:

Santons would always be open if skiable and safe because it's one of the major runs down to the centre of the town. It follows a steep gully under obvious potential avalanche risk from the slopes on either side, which is why it's normally closed after snowfall. Sorry but anyone with a bit of mountain sense who has skied it or seen it could tell that.

I think the avalanche risk above Santons is obvious as well, however I have been surprised on a number of occasions when skiing with various people who have considerable experience of skiing off piste with guides, some of those people have questioned why it was closed.

Simply skiing off piste with guides in itself does not usually include any teaching of mountain craft, nor is it intended to and I do wonder however if that can create a problem. People can spend time off piste with a guide and not appreciate why the guide is making the choices that he or she does. They then go off on their own and look at something like the terrain to the side of Santons and think well, that looks just like the slope we skied with the guide yesterday/ this morning etc. not realising how different it can be.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
An interesting point. Such mountain sense as I hope I have got has come more from winter climbing and hillwalking than from skiing. I'm frequently gob-smacked by the sight of ski tracks under overhanging cornices that climbers would keep well away from.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The forecast looks incredible, we are ready to drop everything and fly out for a sneaky 4 days ... but when ?? !!! - the long range forecast predicts snow all next week until at least Sunday 17th. When it stops snowing, the clouds clear and the sun comes out there is going to be some incredible skiing !! - what has happened to La Perdrix Blanche ? - when we over last March we were told it was closing ??
latest report
A little bit of this...

and lots of this...

resulted in plenty of these today...

Well it was not the best nights sleep last night due to lots of noise from students in the blocks around us.... Clare also got back from babysitting at 1am and I woke up so my eyes were heavy first thing in the morning but as soon as I opened the curtains and saw that there had been some more fresh snow and the weather was not quite as bad as I feared it was going to be I perked up somewhat.

There was blasting going on from 7am (it would continue all day) as there had been a lot of snow moving around and falling from the skies over the last few days!

Overnight we only had a few cm's of fresh but by breakfast time it was once again really starting to close back in!

I decided to do my Periscope first thing this morning before my first lesson as a change in scenery for people and a different perspective on things. Check it out as follows

https://t.co/Ku3KQhAEdd or the perma-link:
https://t.co/uYexSPKmec

In the morning I had the same person as the rest of the week and we battled through the conditions up top to end up having a very successful morning of skiing - he certainly came on a lot this week. So much so as at lunchtime I joined them all for a very nice lunch at the Grand Ourse - THANK YOU. Being asked for lunch by clients is not ever expected of course but things such as this really are nice treats once in a while. All my 'regular' clients and people that I ski / snowboarding with on a one of basis or occasional basis are always lovely but it is the friendships etc which you can develop with people over time that makes this job so satisfying.... just one of the nice things about this job actually. Sometimes you end up skiing with a particular person or family many many times over and over again, year after year; others are one off sessions... you get a whole mix of things in this job.

Anyway this particular group I have skied with an awful lot over the last 7 years or so... the elder kids I taught to ski and now I have almost got the youngest to the stage where he is 'off' so to speak on most colours of slope with great technical ability and skill - mighty satisfying. They took the opportunity at lunchtime to confirm all their lesson requirements for New Year next year... so that is me almost fully booked for New Year next year. Peak season lesson bookings always come in mighty early like this.

So a yummy lunch and then it was Henry for his last lesson of the year with me. It was pretty relaxed last lesson of the week pottering around with him.

Weatherise the snow grew in intensity for most of the day.... the freezing level rose and fell as the day went on but it was never far of being freeing rain in town - I would not say it was ever rain in town but got close at times. On the mountain it was just heavy snow all day long. You could hear the blasting going on pretty much all day long up high and the winds did get up a little. That coupled with the avalanche risk meant they kept quite a lot closed.

So another dump of snow then for Val d'Isere today.... and it STILL continues out there now.

I suspect that although there is not too many cars on the road tomorrow the roads could get snarled up due to the snow and perhaps freezing of the roads overnight - eek!

At days end I popped to Blue Note for a drink as Clare took Olivia to meet a friend in there before coming home for dinner and a chilled evening.

Tomorrow I shall have to go shopping in Bourg and do some other duties as I am not skiing tomorrow - back on it Sunday!

I managed to edit the top tips video relating to avalanche safety etc from my Periscope the other day.... it was not my 'best top tips' ever and I shall probably have to redo it at some point - mainly due to the signal dropping out near the end... but that can wait until much later in the year or next!

https://ktch.tv/5N85?s=03m29s&e=11m15s

And I think that all brings things up to date.

scorchio - La Pedrix Blanche and that whole building was redeveloped over the Summer and is now the 'Fondue Factory' - you'll have to come and see the new development to believe it - looks rather plush I think.

TTFN folks!
snow report
Tried the Fondue factory for a late lunch today. Won't be returning. Service terrible. Total case of style over substance. After 45 minutes from arrival we were still waiting for food, the beer the boys chose was not available as they had to change the barrel. The alternative they chose as also then reported as unavailable cos the barrel needed changing.
No apology volunteered for late arrival of food. Apparently there was just one chef on duty. No offer of a free drink. Couldn't rustle up 2 salads and a tartiflette in the time I was there. After I walked out, leaving my 2 companions (Mr P and,his mate J), their salads and my tartiflette did appear. The declined to pay for mine given the delay (granted I was not in the best of moods as I have a head full of cold). The waitress was overheard discussing our apparent unreasonableness with other diners as Mr P and J left.
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, I agree it's plush, but I think that's where the good starts and stops.

Are they extending the Savoie above the FF?

@Perty, I'm with you, I had a very similar experience (twice, I was stupid enough to go back), can't bothered to repeat it all, but frankly how they've spent so much on a great fit out and then failed to hire decent (and enough) staff astounds me.

I for one will miss the Perdix Blanche.

More snow here today though, so it's not all bad, although the vis looked awful this afternoon (didn't go up)

As an aside, I've noticed less Russians in their Bognor gear this year, but a lot more Aussies and South Africans.
snow report
Was that a day off?

Well folks what a day that was - a little bit of this a little bit of that!

After a relaxed start to the day... lie in til 7.30 and family scrambled eggs on toast (I do make good eggs on toast I must say!) we decided to make the most of time off altogether and so took a trip up to the farm.

After the heavy weather overnight and above average temperatures it was damp shall we say on top of a slippy base. The train rouge had to be suspended past the top roundabout by the Gendarmerie as the road was rather too slippy (it only lasted an hour). Anyway we walked to the farm and bumped into some friends and their kids by coincidence up there which was nice. On the walk back to town the snowploughs and diggers etc were all VERY hard at work clearing the roads.

We decided to have a nice family lunch at the new Arctic Cafe in town. It turned out to be a nice, albeit slightly pricy lunch with a grizzle Olivia who was just about ready for her lunchtime nap as we actually started lunch but you live and learn. As I say the food is really nice and healthy and yummy but we did feel that the prices were a tiny bit on the steep side! Also I could have done with a little more food for the money and I do admit to eating a couple of yoghurts when I got home to 'complete' my lunch. HOWEVER it is very nice food and a welcome change from the masses out there. The cafe is dead opposite the main bus station and is English owned by a brother and sister who are working jolly hard to make a success of it - so good luck to them!

By lunchtime the news started filtering through of the insane amounts of snow up high and in particular up on the Val glacier. Reports suggested that there had been (already by that time of the day) - 70cm of fresh snow

I took an afternoon trip to Bourg to do a large food shop as it could be several weeks before we get back there... mainly as the car could take several weeks to be fixed in which time we obviously will not have use of it. It was LASHING it down with rain down there (the snow / rain limit by late afternoon had fallen to about 1000m)

I have noted a few interesting things about Super U in Bourg (and it is almost certainly the same in most supermarkets across France unlike UK supermarkets... 2 of the 3 things anyway). Firstly bar small changes they dont really rearrange all the isles in the supermarket... so I know pretty much to the spot on the shelf where 99% of our shop is located... in the UK they re-arrange everything every so often so as to increase sales - over here the cost of employing staff to do such a thing would not be financially worthwhile. Secondly even at the BUSIEST time of the week (Saturday afternoon) they insist on shelf restocking which means every other isle has a massive forklift pump parked up with boxes... this means the isle is more or less blocked to allow people by - in the UK shelf restocking of this scale is done at night in most cases - it is rather annoying here as you get massive bottlenecks. Final observation which is mainly attributed to this Bourg is that when people go shopping they shop as a family / group of friends.... so one trolley and 5 people hanging around it..... as a result the isles get SOOOO busy.

However despite these things I managed to do a huge shop and got back up into town through ever increasing amounts of snow falling!

In local news the Solaise Express has developed some sort of technical error and it will be shut at least tomorrow and perhaps for a few days - at least it is not peak season otherwise that would cause MAJOR chaos. As it is the Solaise mountain will be a lot more of a faff to get up. You will have to use the cable car or bus it further up the valley and go in that way!

Perty and trainee snowboard jedi - interesting to hear not so great reviews about the Fondue Factory - pity it showed potential apart from the poor name choice!?!. The extension above the FF is going to be apartments I do believe! Less Russians and more antipodeans you reckon - perhaps I am not sure!

As soon as I had gotten back up the valley and unloaded the car it was straight back to Les Boisses in Tignes for our annual SAF helicopter training. This is the annual requirement so that we can be authorised as individual instructors to offer heliskiing. An hour or so of our time spent relearning the loading procedures etc etc. All quite exciting really (although the heli is grounded when we do it).

I did my scope from there as well and had hoped to be able to show you the wonderful views across the dammed lake from there but alas it was not to be... however what you will see is the blizzard like conditions. We had a chat about what to do in Val when the weather is poor (like it was today!).

https://t.co/g9xNYfVkch and the perma-link...
https://t.co/xVONWhQLhC

If you are on Facebook and Twitter then please feel free to share the video links... if you so like to show the crazy snow we are getting!

So it was home to see Olivia just before she went to bed... get the last of the food in the cupboards, have dinner and start the evenings jobs. On the weather front we still have another 2m of snow to come if everything is to be believed.

Back to work tomorrow for a full day and a whole week of full days actually.
ski holidays
Grizzle Olivia, Lol. It's nice to know we're not the only ones, we're having the terrible two's at nineteen months. You cracked me up with the start the 'evening jobs', routine to the extreme, it's exactly like that here. The snow just sounds epic. After a two year gap can't wait to get out. Lucky Val starts 1850. Looked at other resorts and places like Flaine and Morzine are fine on the upper slopes but at village level they're at 10 and 20 cm. Really enjoying the periscopes.
snow report
Steve , Pam or any other knowledgeable snowheads what is the benefit of Carte Neige or avec assurance , i've never really known . Like most people I have my own winter sports insurance inc offpiste , but every time i buy a ski pass I am confused by what extra benefits i would get with carte neige , some times i buy it some times i dont , i had assumed that by showing the CN the medical team dont need any payment but last year in Vallandry one of our lads broke his leg and got stretchered off the piste and then in an ambulance to the medical centre his Dad showed them the Carte Neige but he still had to pay everything on his card and claim back in the UK . So what benefits did he get from CN

Also if an accident happens on the slopes how do you know who to phone , where do you find the emergency number .
I suppose after 30 years of 2-3 trips each year i should know but hey im just a tourist
latest report
@gwatts10, have a look here:

http://www.natives.co.uk/holiday/the-lowdown-on-carte-neige-insurance/3994

Basically it's an add on insurance. Pasted below is summary of what they say.

Quote:
What it covers:
Carte Neige covers you for transport off the mountain, either on or off piste. If you show your card to the pisteurs they will take the policy number and their costs will be met by the insurance – you have no further involvement.

They then drop you off at the doctor’s surgery in resort. At this point, your Carte Neige is of no help to you at all. Carte Neige is not a full insurance policy – it’s a top-up cover designed to act in tandem with your state or private health insurance. It will reimburse only those costs not covered by your main insurance.

There are requirements to complete and send the forms in quickly though. But let's hope you don't need it.

When a friend was rescued to Val d'Isere they impounded his hire skis until rescue fee was paid, i.e. no Carte Neige. As we were based in Tigne this was a real pain. Also he was taken off the mountain by helicopter, very costly

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 10-01-16 13:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hi, re Carte Niege, from experience, my brother in law tore his calf muscle on a red run, I skied down to the pisteur station to get help, leaving him with sister in law, he was taken off the mountain by pisteur by sledge to first aid station, as he didn't have the Carte Niege, they kept his skis till one of us returned with the rescue fee, which was around 300 euro, plus another 200 euro for ambulance to medical station. As above the very nice lady pisteur who towed the sledge to get him off the mountain explained that if his lift pass had the Carte Niege on it, they would have scanned it and we would not have paid a penny, think it works out at just over 2 euro per day. Since then we always add it to our lift pass. We do have travel insurance that covers skiing, but usually you end up paying out and claiming later, think what we would have had to pay if a helicopter was needed.
snow report
Do all resorts offer this? And as for buying a ski pass through your tour op - how can one get Carte Niege on this?
snow report
@Minion1980, Yes, all French resorts do, not sure about other countries. You can get it from where you buy ski passes in the resort.
snow conditions
@Minion1980, Take your passes to the ticket office and buy it as an add-on. Keep the receipt with your pass.
ski holidays
Just remembered @SteveAngus posted Val d'Isere recovery costs on page 84 of this thread.
snow report
@Minion1980, 16.80 euro in the EK last week, well worth it.

Tip. Take a small plastic bag to keep your receipt in, they shred pretty quick when wet and put it in the pocket with your lift pass.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thecramps wrote:
@Minion1980, 16.80 euro in the EK last week, well worth it.

Tip. Take a small plastic bag to keep your receipt in, they shred pretty quick when wet and put it in the pocket with your lift pass.

Is it not linked to your lift pass? I (stupidly by the sounds of it) thought it was. Never kept a reciept that's for sure.
snow report
Quote:
What it covers:
Carte Neige covers you for transport off the mountain, either on or off piste. If you show your card to the pisteurs they will take the policy number and their costs will be met by the insurance – you have no further involvement.

They then drop you off at the doctor’s surgery in resort. At this point, your Carte Neige is of no help to you at all. Carte Neige is not a full insurance policy – it’s a top-up cover designed to act in tandem with your state or private health insurance. It will reimburse only those costs not covered by your main insurance.

That's not strictly accurate. There are different kinds of policy. The policy you buy on a daily basis with your lift pass is Carre Neige, and (I think) acts like a top up policy for piste/off-piste rescue. Carte Neige is a separate annual policy, and can be bought at different levels of cover (basic, medium and competitor IIRC) and can include medical cover and repatriation to your home address if necessary.
latest report
@trainee snowboard jedi, yeah it's on the lift pass, but it's not easy for pisteurs to check that when they are debating whether to get the heli out or pop your broken body on a sledge. They do tell you to keep the receipt when you buy it though, and others on SH have said before you should keep the receipt, so probably for the best.
snow conditions
Thanks for the answers everybody that's really useful, my next trip is to Les Arcs and I have already paid for the pass through my tour operator so I will need to pay a visit to the lift pass office and get that added, it is indeed very worth it from the sounds of things.
snow report
A word of warning - keeping the little piece of paper is crucial.
Two years ago while while with his private lessons my 10 year old was stretchered off the slopes near Val Claret, taken to the medics in Le Lac and then brought back in an ambulance to the helipad in VC and then helicoptered with his mum and two doctors to the Olympic hospital in Albertville ( brilliant place/ people) where he spent the next few days.

He was fine - just some bad bruising and even got back on his skis 4 days later, but they had been worried about internal injuries.

Once I had got back from Albertville, having made sure he was ok, I went to the pisteurs to collect his skis only to be presented with a bill for several thousand euros to be settled before I go the skis back. I confidently proffered the ski pass which we had bought avec assurance, foolishly thinking they would swipe it and be able to see that the insurance cover was on there.... No chance. Does Monsieur have the little (tiny little square) piece of paper that comes out of the the machine after the pass? Errmmm, not on me no. Then please be so kind as to settle the bill in full please....

I went back to the Apartment for a good search (without much hope) as I usually just instantly bin all receipts and random bits of paper that I find in my pockets.
Fortunately, Mrs Jiggs (being a lawyer) had snatched all the receipts and kept them safe.
I could swear the pisteur's faces fell when I sashayed back in and triumphantly presented the little (teeny weeny) square receipt, but they then grumpily handed over the skis and announced everything was immediately settled. Do not lose the receipt is the bottom line.
This form of insurance is the only one that will instantly settle the pisteur's stretcher/ambulance/ helicopter/ accompanying doctor's costs - everything else involves you getting in touch with your insurance company who will sometimes do it quickly and in other cases take some time to settle which can present you with issues re the hired or own ski gear. I will always use it (and keep the minuscule bit of paper...).
In addition the E111 or whatever it is also needs to be checked - I had assumed that once you had one then it was a bit like a National Insurance number - it was yours for life. Nope, they have an expiry date - this cost me circa eur 1000 at the hospital as ours was out of date (bloody lawyers- you give them one job to do ... wink ). I did get it back later via the eurotunnel winter insurance (which was very easy to claim) but I had to pay on the spot.
snow report
brilliant answers everyone i wil know buy each year and keep the receipt .
what about the emergency numbers does anyone have an answer for that , who do you call when there are just 2 of you , you dont want to leave your partner and ski down so who do you call
snow conditions
gwatts10 wrote:
what about the emergency numbers does anyone have an answer for that , who do you call when there are just 2 of you , you dont want to leave your partner and ski down so who do you call

Emergency numbers are on the EK piste map.
ski holidays
nelly0168 wrote:
gwatts10 wrote:

Emergency numbers are on the EK piste map.

And on the lift pass.
snow report
Arrived at chalet at 2 and on funival at 2.30 ..... Not bad we thought.
Ripped off on half day pass 40euros for 2.5 hours skiing ..... But worth it as had great afternoon.
Down to la daille on OK, up to marmottes, few Fontaine froides and couple of faces ....snow mixed but pretty good overall. Viz generally poor and continuous light snow ..... Still going.
snow report
Chris ski H - great - glad there is another and glad you are looking forward to getting out here again! Should be good!
gwatts10
Quote:
Also if an accident happens on the slopes how do you know who to phone , where do you find the emergency number .
I suppose after 30 years of 2-3 trips each year i should know but hey im just a tourist

- On piste maps there is (well certainly around here and should be in most resorts that I have seen) the phone number for the pisteurs printed up. Whack it in your phone at the start of the week! You could also flag an instructor down and ask them to call or failing that send someone in your party to the base of the nearest lift and the lifties can call for you. Here in the EK you need the details printed in the round disks at the side of the piste - this is the number in hundreds of metres to the bottom of the current run (approx). Whether you are in Val or Tignes and the name of the piste. Based on this info the pisteurs will be able to find you! Also printed on the lift passes themselves too.

Minion1980
Quote:
Do all resorts offer this? And as for buying a ski pass through your tour op - how can one get Carte Niege on this?

- French ones yes... your tour operator should (emphasis on should) offer you the option when you buy it from them.

BUT FOLKS KEEP THE LITTLE RECEIPT BIT OF PAPER FOR GOODNESS SAKES... not only can you NOT under any circumstances get a lift pass reissued if for some reason you lose it but it shows you have paid for the Carte Neige... archaic system yes, french yes, but the way it is - yes!
snow report
@Minion1980,
Quote:

my next trip is to Les Arcs and I have already paid for the pass through my tour operator

I used to pay in advance for a weekly area pass through my tour operator. Then, late 90s, late January, so much snow was falling in Tignes that only one chair lift, the Palafour, was open for 4 days out of the 6. Only about 20% of the lifts were open the other 2 days, as the avalanche risk was so high, with mini slides even blocking the road up to Tignes le Lac. We were stuck in the hotel for most of the time. Largely wasted money on pre-purchased pass!

Now I always wait until arrival, having sussed out conditions and weather forecast. It's not much trouble to buy a pass from the nearest office. I also add Carre Neige insurance, which some TOs seem to have difficulty coping with. Sometimes I seem to get a better exchange rate buying direct, which saves a few euros.

In Les Arcs pre-Christmas week 2015, we committed only to 3 days full area pass. So glad we did, as conditions and increasingly crowded pistes made it less enjoyable IMO after that. Instead we had next 2 days in Espace Killy, which was lift pass money very well spent.

Convenience is nice...but sometimes flexibility and choice is better.
ski holidays
@trainee snowboard jedi,
Quote:

I for one will miss the Perdix Blanche.

I'll miss it too. Does anyone know if any Val D restaurants offer a similar standard at similar price level as the Perdrix Blanche used to?

Quote:

As an aside, I've noticed less Russians in their Bognor gear this year

Bognor gear? Stripy swimsuit with arms, flip flops to stop the rocks hurting your feet and Potseloy Mehnya Quick hat by any chance? Should be even easier to spot than Japanese group!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy