Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Vasta - no problems - I know you weren't implying anything. But I may get a blow out on the ankle part of the boots - possibly. They were fine all of last season so I am going to let it fully heal for a week or so more and then try my boots on again and see how it feels then.

Maireadoconnor - sounds like a nice outing!

stevew - yes indeed but hopefully not for long now if this snow comes as it should!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Changes galore!

Well as you can see in the photo above folks it looks nice and wintery up high still... indeed it is but hopefully all these weather fronts will come through as promised and bring us a good deal of snow. As I had half predicted the first wave tomorrow night into Friday is not looking like it will bring us much... the fronts after that are too far away really to give a really good insight as to how much we get but we will almost certainly get something worth writing about but after looking at the 4 main sources of the weather forecast I use (snow forecast.com, meteoblue, meteox and meteo france) and of course my experience from my geography degree / school teacher knowledge on weather, I am yet to be convinced it will be a huge amount but I am growing in confidence daily so fingers crossed!

So this morning I had a lesson plan all set in my head but things changed somewhat when I learnt from the parents of the girl I am teaching where they were headed for lunch - the other end of town from the mental plan and lesson I had put together. Anyhow with some planning I was still able to just about carry out the whole lesson as planned and miss the traffic and catch some great snow. So we headed to the Fornet and found some nice snow... Immi loved doing 360 spins on the snow too - that is what she really wants to learn - freestyle and tricks etc... but at the same time we need to work on general technique so we balanced the two up.

I fitted in an on mountain Periscope today too.... whilst downloading on the Solaise. The problem I am finding sometimes (well often actually) is that you need a solid, continuous 2/3 bar strength 3G or above phone signal to make it happen otherwise it won't let you broadcast.... so it does limit somewhat where I can broadcast and when... however I am continually trying out locations so hopefully you'll get lots of good on mountain shots over time. Anyway it was a rather quick scope today giving some general updates and here is the link:

https://t.co/9P6Q3TESyJ

Whilst I am talking about Periscope etc.... a gentle reminder. If you want to film yourself (or Periscope yourself skiing / snowboarding) and upload it and then @SteveAngusSnow my twitter / Periscope handle into the title so it shows up on my stream then I will gladly give you some free feedback and tips on how to improve. Just let me know and get filming and ill try my best to help you out.

The next change of the day took place at lunchtime when I was asked (a regular client) if I could actually teach their kids snowboarding in the afternoon rather than skiing. I have taught them before on the board and it was nice to have a change of scenery... however with my board stuff at home / board locked in the car it was a frantic hour turn around.... and then the clients were an hour late anyway..... however it was an enjoyable afternoon non the less and a nice chance to give my new snowboard a try out!

The final change was in the weather forecast as social media in particular are talking more and more about the dumps to come... on that note remember folks that the snow that is out there (off piste) is now very old, has transformed so much etc that with a lot of fresh on top it could be pretty lethal out there if we get a lot of snow so go easy when the snow comes!

In local news there were some 4500 (estimated) people that came to the snow front to watch our torchlite descent last night...

Im in there somewhere! Photo courtesy of Radio Val d'Isere

The number of skier days this season to date is UP 1% on last year.... this is incredible - I am gobsmacked but I bet it is due to the hundreds and hundreds of people being shipped in / driving in... in order to ski here rather than in their resort (so to speak). I heard today of people leaving Megeva at 5am this morning to drive to Val to get a days skiing in here... again incredible!

The lifts are working overtime... the Marmottes lift took some 16000 passengers in a day the other day alone! It was also good to hear that the new magic carpets are taking more people than the old chair did - 9000 on a 'mega' day last year.... 12000 yesterday on the new Pim and Pam magic carpets!

Anyway folks I think that is all for now! For those that do not watch my videos on Periscope or would like to follow me on Twitter than you can find me @SteveAngusSnow. Take care folks.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Happy New Year

Well folks the final update for 2015. I really hope everyone has enjoyed the updates again this year and you will continue to join me in 2016!

Anyway it has been a nice day with the arrival of snow at last - yay!

First thing it was clouding right over.... within a couple of hours it was closing in all over town - so much so that right down to resort level in both Tignes and Val it was snowing.... not hard and certainly on and off all day but a start and very welcome.

It has continued all day and into the evening although down in town there has been very little accumulation - with the freezing level dropping overnight and the front moving slowly over us it could be a nice surprise in the morning - who knows! However the good news is that the fronts should still roll in so over the next few days it could be a good turnaround in the snow fortunes!

I had young Imi again today but this time it was all day... we did a couple of laps through the Val Park... covered lots of ground and had a nice day all in all. One of the nice things about having all day privates is that there is no time pressure at all! We took lunch at Aspen burger in Tignes Val Claret which is always a winner - solid food and good prices!

The snow coverage on the pistes over in Tignes was not quite as good as I was hoping it would be but it was not too bad!

My Periscope update today can be found here....

https://t.co/Yjwj5Vkysn

I will edit it down for the 'top tips' section in the next few days. But essentially I am saying that look carefully at the actual turn shape friends and family make - carefully look.... an 'S' shape (that is well proportioned - not too elongated across the slope or squished so it is just a 'wiggle') turn no matter what the terrain / steepness etc shows you that the skier / boarder is effectively using his equipment. When it is lost it could be because the performer is being lazy (we all do it), the terrain is too challenging for them or simply that they have not developed appropriate skills. Of course the cliche is always of ski school 'snakes' across the slopes but the plain and simple reason it is done is to develop performance in the ability of the student to actually use their equipment to its full potential.

No real local news today I'm afraid.... the traffic forecast for this Saturday is for 18000 cars coming up (which is surprisingly low I thought but who knows). Going down will be a different story so leave plenty of time folks!

I have included the photo above as I saw the most amazing sight at lunchtime today.... just about got the camera out in time to get a shot before they shot off. So look RIGHT at the centre of the photo... just behind the lady in the pink helmet... the guy in the orange jacket... he has a very young baby strapped to his front... off to jump on the lift and off for a ski. All I can say is absolute madness. They werent brits but I was horrified. Not only could he fall / be crashed into, there is also the wind chill on the baby as he skis down. There was a case a few years ago of a baby dieing from hypothermia whilst strapped to his parents back and skiing for a couple of hours!

In fact I sometimes wonder what goes through peoples mind. We got on the Olympique lift this morning. It was BUSY and they were trying to get lots of people in each cabin which is fair enough. Anyway a French speaking family got on a cabin and the lady took the seat right by the door.... this makes it so much harder to get inside for the rest so ultimately not all the spaces are filled (grrr number 1). Then the husband takes a seat next to her... places his skis next to him AND then puts his rucksack on the seat on the other side of him.... so the family of four (the two teenage kids seemed to keep things tighter) used enough space for about 7 people. Sorry for whinging but things like this give skiing in Europe a bad name!

Finally a little bit of 'Wheres Walley' and for added bones points .... name the piste from which I took this photo. There IS a person in this picture - can you spot them - might (or might not) be obvious!

And that is that for another night folks. Just cooked Clare a steak and chips dinner and now I'm off to bed.... nearly the weekend and the gear change down from 6th gear of New Year week to 5th gear of the 1st week in January before things ease off even more later in January!

HAPPY NEW YEAR
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Happy New Year, Steve, and thank you for your wonderful posts!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bonus

Well folks welcome to 2016.... first time I've written that. Hurtle - thanks for your kind words!

Ill start with a nice video showing some of the early evening entertainment laid on by the resort in the town centre last night.

http://www.webtvvaldisere.com/upload_vids/Airstar%20night%20light%20-%2031-12-2015.mp4

After a small smattering of snow overnight (and less than we were hoping for (but this is the first of several fronts sweeping in so plenty more chances)) it was lovely and clear this morning!

Clare was looking after a friends baby today so was house bound. I was on duty for 9am! As I think I mentioned this time last year, New Years day is such a mental milestone as finally the crazy busy period is coming to an end and we start looking forward to the quieter January months. However for me January is looking mega full up as well (not that I am complaining) but still with the resort a little quieter it is such a good time to come skiing!

New Years eve had been a nice quiet affair so I was ready for work this morning (unlike the drunken teen brits we met on the Olympique this morning first thing - must have been some sort of a bet to go through the night and catch first lifts!)

Anyway I met my client for her 9am lesson. The slopes were deserted! It was lovely. The sun was quite warm and the sky cloudless.

This was taken at 10.30 - not a soul in sight hardly atop of the Bellevarde.

On New Years day the slopes are often quieter for obvious reasons but lots of people dont bother travelling up from the valley either!

By late morning it was a little busier but nothing too serious! With only 5cm or so of fresh up there (max) it was not the biggest incentive ever for everyone.

Lunchtime was spent with a sandwich in the sun - it was rather pleasant although there was signs of some high clouds and the next front starting to roll in.

My afternoon lesson was a no show - I hung around for well over an hour. Later in the day the office admitted that a text had come through at lunchtime but for some reason they had not spotted it. The text had said that the teenage daughters were too hungover from last night to make the lesson today.... some people have more ...................................................................

Anyway I was able to get in a Periscope atop the Bellevarde today with some great views over the ski and surrounding area.

https://t.co/YfwYtLm3QB

Whilst I was waiting for my no show this afternoon I noticed the price list for this years on mountain rescues that Val d'Isere are charging. These are typical prices that any resort would charge in France before anyone complains that Val is a rip off! Anyway the point is that it is well worth getting insurance otherwise you'll end up paying these amounts!

So I had a longer afternoon at home than planned and spent some time with Olivia and her friend (who is very cute). I managed to go and collect my new Planks hat and do a couple of odd jobs in town. Whilst I was in town I picked up the latest copy of the printed version of http://www.guide2valdisere.com/ - NOTHING to do with the tourist office this is a brilliant and independent guide to all things Val d'Isere and is produced by the people behind Snowberry (Jock and Susan). It is an excellent guide and directory!

I have also edited my 'top tip' from yesterdays video now. Relating to one very simple and quick way you can analyse how proficient people you are skiing / snowboarding with are.

https://ktch.tv/5zQz?s=04m05s&e=06m05s

And that is about all for today folks. Another full day tomorrow teaching before Sunday morning off.

Lets hope this snow comes in over this weekend!

TTFN
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sunday morning off???? No wonder we couldnt get a lesson with you Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve , we are thinking of having a lunchtime meal in Bellevarde restaurant we have quite a few non skiers who can get the funicular or olympique lifts up , but is the walk down that short slope going to be ok for walkers , because they don't ski they are a little unsure on the snow and they will have some young ones with them , maybe the use of a couple of ski poles will help but from memory the slopes should be ok .......your thoughts please
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SNOW at last

Yes it happened finally - the white stuff fell from the sky. Overnight it was fairly mellow the snowfall and we got perhaps 10cm in town and a tad more up top. However it was hardly snowing at breakfast time much to everyones dismay.

However it was a weird sort of weather day as the snow came (and generally stayed) as the day progressed. There were bands of clouds and at times the wind got up. Certainly are lunchtime and into early afternoon it was rather intense up there!

Certainly by the end of the day there was about 15cm fresh snow up top.

I had the same all day booking as I had had the other day and Imi did rather well in the tough conditions and especially considering she was knackered after her weeks skiing. We did a few laps up the Bellevarde on the classic runs such as Genepy etc. We skied to La Daille in order to get the better of the visibility as well. Lunch was taken at the Marmottes restaurant (more on that in a moment).

The crowds left the resort and it was totally deserted up there for the most part (the heavy weather (most definitely in the afternoon) did not help matters for those wanting to ski - so it was deserted. The road to and from Bourg was heavy with traffic after the holidays going down in the morning but by the afternoon the snow was causing some problems for those coming up. However I dont think it got too bad all things considered and there was only a chain / snow tyre advisory - I dont think it was totally enforced (the need to put chains on - perhaps I am wrong!).

Photo courtesy of the Marie of Val d'Isere

Anyway my Periscopes seem to be gaining in popularity - now over 100 people regularly catch them which is cool and over a 100 following. I had to do my broadcast from down near the Sun Bar today as the weather just was not going to make it a very easy (recording or viewing) good experience up the mountain.

https://t.co/PFSaYDj4ll

The forecast as I talk about on the Periscope broadcast is for front after front to keep rolling in so who knows what this week will bring!

One of the things I wanted to talk about today and address was the issue of food prices. OK so Val (and Tignes (but to a lesser extent)) are not known for being particularly cheap places to come skiing. However I am a big advocate of trying to dispel the myth that everything is VERY VERY expensive or only for the super rich here. Of course there are those options too.

So I had lunch with Imi at the Marmottes restaurant today and it really is such a good value place to eat... OK the queues can be big, difficult to get a table (especially when sitting outside is not really an option like today) and the food is pretty limited / standard.

With an exchange rate of say 1.3.... that means you could get a huge dinner plate salad stacked up for £6.50, a spaghetti bolognaise for just over £7 or vegetable soup and a roll for £4... I really think those sorts of prices are damn good really...

I am sure there was something else I had to write about this evening but I cant remember now.

Philip1972 - yes Clare is teaching in the am and I'm in the afternoon so we both have to have the other halves of the day of each in order to look after Olivia. Sorry couldn't get a lesson - I am sure one of my other able colleagues at www.tdcski.com could help!

gwatts10 - hmm interesting. Why not look at the Tete du Solaise, Signal or Peau du Vache (or even Folie Douce - Fruitiere!) as alternate options with no walking required down slopes! If you definitely want the Bellevarde then getting down that slope can be really tough!!!!! Also walking down the middle of a crowded piste and especially with little ones is probably an accident waiting to happen and against the skiers code of conduct (FIS SkiWay code!)... however there is some steps down the side of the Olypique lift (out door of lift and hard left and down the 50 or so steps - that takes the worse of it out and it is a scamper across to the restaurant after that. Reverse to come back! So taking that option it is doable for sure but take care and YES ski poles would help... in fact the grip crampon things for shoes you can buy in shops here would probably help too! ENJOY

TTFN everyone. Back tomorrow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Steve Angus, Only jokng Steve, the wife has a lesson with one of your colleagues in the morning!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Steve,
Great news about the snow, I haven't managed to catch your periscope live but always try to watch it afterwards (do you broadcast at the same time each day?). On the budgeting for lunch a couple of places I'd recommend especially if the weathers nice Tignes Cuisine or the Loop bar next door to each other and both cheap. I know they're not strictly up the mountain but if your staying in val and heading towards or through le lac they're pretty convenient. I've also had reasonable priced pasta at the restaurant on the right hand side corner if you walk through the shopping precinct, opposite the lift ticket office. I call it the Front de neige square? May be Steve you could start a web site listing the cheapest restaurants, cheapest bars etc etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Steve

Loving the perisocope updates. Not sure if this is an option, but does periscope give the option to give a 5 min warning that you are about to go live? I always seem to only manage to join half way through.

Cheers
Steve
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Steve, always good to highlight some cheaper places to go to, shame the new Fondue Fanctory doesn't fit that bill (and their service is pants too). Do have any vouchers for food at the Folie this year?

Anyway, onto more positive things, love that pic of the top of Belvarde, very jealous of the people skiing that day. Let's hope that the sun does come out today as promised and after yesterdays dump, we have some good snow conditions out there.

Travelling up yesterday was interesting, we got up early due to the snow forecast and had no issues at all, but there was a massive jam coming out of town, and heavy traffic all the way to Lyon. I overheard someone yesterday afternoon saying they'd shut the road for an hour but not sure how true that is.

Have a nice morning off and rest that foot!

Lots of snow forecast over the next 10 days!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ssshhhh don't tell everyone about the Marmottes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dogwatch wrote:
Ssshhhh don't tell everyone about the Marmottes.

indeed, and same for La Cascade....I believe under same ownership Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Steve Angus,

Hi Steve, just watched yesterday's vlog on periscope, looks great and really enjoyed it. Do you have any spaces for two intermediates between 10th - 15th Jan? Ideally earlier in the week.
snow report
@Steve Angus, might be easier to email me directly if you can please.... nizkit@gmail.com
snow conditions
Philip1972 - I trust you had a good session and have plenty of food for thought to be getting on with!

Chris ski H - Hey Chris - not long to go now until you are out here! Bet you are excited! Anyway re Periscope. No I dont always broadcast at the same time - it varies a lot depending on a whole host of factors! Sorry! Tignes Cuisine and Loop over in Tignes Le Lac are indeed excellent choices. I think the place you are describing (assuming here in Val!) is the Cafe du Sport... not got much info on that place so ill take your word on it! AS FAR AS WEBSITE WITH TOP EATING TIPS ETC ARE CONCERNED... have it on the to do list... a general personal website that would have pages of top tips as well as perhaps a WordPress blog for listing things too!

smagsmith - thank you for your enthusiastic following of the Periscopes - always asking questions etc where you can and getting involved - much appreciated! Anyway the 5 min warning etc... no there is no automatic way of sending a notification out that I am going live in 'x' mins time. I have tried (when I can remember) and it is possible and I know I will be about to go live... to do a general post on Twitter announcing I am about to go live.... few issues. a) when on the mountain finding strong enough signal to broadcast - even to put something on twitter sometimes... b) remembering c) sometimes like today the opportunity suddenly arises.... other times I plan it quite carefully in advance! Now I am back teaching full time and the fact people like to see on mountain shots etc finding a 'slot' when I can just chat for a few mins with good internet etc is limited. There is also the fact that someone is paying for my time so even on a lift somewhere with good internet signal - whacking the camera out and filming is not that possible appropriate..... I am hoping that when I teach a SH / Periscope viewer or whomever I can sneak in filming for a few mins mid lesson in exchange for adding a few mins at the end - perhaps!

trainee snowboard jedi - Fondue Factory not good then - noted thanks. Good to have you back in town.... perhaps I will be the last of the family / TDC to catch up with you this week! Hope you had a fun first day today and the kids enjoyed! Good feedback this end! Vouchers - no sorry! Traffic down the hill yesterday - yes totally expected that was. Road closed - highly doubt it - snow was not that heavy.... just heavy traffic - I could be wrong though!

snowornever - yea Cascade up at the Val glacier - same owners and ideas yes!

nishnu - will email you but perhaps putting your personal email on here direct with PM me with it could leave you open to the email address being harvested for spamming in the future (not by me of course!)
latest report
A TRUE bluebird day

The true meaning of a bluebird day is blue sky and sun after a powder dump and that is what we had today!

Thank to my colleague Terry for this photo!

Clare was out teaching this morning so I was on Olivia duty and we had a pretty relaxed morning. Went out for a walk about.... she is still not totally sure about all this walking in snow business!

Anyway I was a little jealous of everyone up there getting the 20 odd cm of freshies. Down here in town it had snowed most of the night and we had about 10-15cm. With that amount of snow the pistes were fresh without being too lumpy and bumpy by the afternoon. In fact the pistes were in awesome condition. Most of the stones etc are slowly disappearing and it is getting pretty sweet out there but there is STILL some thing spots and I reckon after one more dump we will not only have almost total coverage on the pistes but virtually all the runs open as there have still been some closures! Off piste the snow snakes are still lurking but they are slowly getting buried so rocks etc are slowly becoming a smaller problem. On a day like this with only a small top up of snow the avalanche risk remains minimal BUT it is when we get the 30cm plus forecast overnight that it could be spicy.... the buried sugar will be dangerous so in fact areas that were previsouly bare of snow / rocky areas will be generally safer! There is also the fact that skier compaction on the classic off pistes routes has not happened this year so extra caution on Espace Killys 'well known' off piste routes should be exercised!

Anyway as Clare came in the door I was out for my afternoon lesson. Back with little Henry (who is now not so little anymore). Have been teaching him for a few years now and he is going from strength to strength. We had a relaxed first day as he was still tired from all the travelling yesterday but he did ever so well. The light crapped out on us a little and the snow cannons that were firing all over Solaise added to the problems so I did not push him to much! However the good news is that the weather really closed in and I am excited to see what the snow / weather does tomorrow.

I have a poll going on over at Twitter about how much we will get.... taking those things into consideration along with the official forecast I reckon we could have 20+ down here in town by the morning and 30+ up high BUT the wind could lead to localised loading... and then on top of that we have the days snow tomorrow on top so it could all add up to a lot.

On that front Henry from HAT Avalanche did a very good 'Hangout' chat this evening so check out his site for a link to watch it back!

Some apparent good news! - I was walking past the Cabane at the bottom of the Savonnette nursery slope in Val this morning... for those that dont know this is a snack cafe at the bottom of the beginner poma / button lift on the far side of the base area in town... there was legal issues (shall we say) about a local resident wanting it shut down for the smells that came from it - this case had been ongoing for ages and as far as I knew late last year the case went against the Cabane and it was told to shut. It is a great place for stopping for snack burger and chips lunch and is a very important stopping point for beginners to refuel / parents to watch etc etc... as instructors with groups etc it is about the only natural stopping place you have. I do not know what has happened but it is so great to see it still open!

Also I have not had any 'entries' into my 'Wheres Walley' competition above... see photo near page top on New Years eve!

Finally my Periscope from today - short and sweet.

https://t.co/8mfe9pphV7

TTFN
snow report
Great updates as always Steve, thanks!

Here is my attempt, not sure if I am right:

latest report
hmmmm - one entry and one winner - well done - next questions then is which piste is this Im on... that could be harder!
ski holidays
Grattalu piste is my guess. I'm assuming that's the Tignes race piste?
latest report
Could it be Merles???
snow conditions
Jehu wrote:
Could it be Merles???

Another winner.... I knew the SH community would get it right... Must make it harder next time.
ski holidays
Wish I was there!
snow conditions
Jehu wrote:
Wish I was there!

Ditto!
latest report
Well just jumping back into this thread to keep an eye on progress

2 trips planned for me in the upcoming months so its all important, plus i love Steve's insight into life in Val .

I must look back and get my head round these periscope broadcasts in addition to emailing the tdc office to see who is free for a few mornings coaching in March.

I wont gloat over the 3 week trip we have just arrived back from over the pond but i will say it was a wise choice this christmas as we had 6ft in the first week there Very Happy (and then lots of little night time snow of 3 to 6 inches every few days )

Looking foward to getting back to Val in not too many weeks time.

Harv
latest report
harvsurrey - welcome back.

Its still going

Well after 29cm of snow in town and lots more up high (coupled with high winds it was a lot deeper) there was lots of blasting etc to get done this morning. However the pisteurs were pretty good at getting the Olympique side opened quickly but the high winds (nearly 100kmph overnight) meant that Solaise side could not be opened up.

Thanks to Steph Ede for this photo - a lovely snowy shot about town this evening as yet more snow arrives.

So I was teaching (day 1) a new client this morning and with the heavy winds and snow etc we stayed low down. In fact it was rather busy as not much was open. Anyway we made the most of the morning and had fun.

At lunchtime I managed to do a Periscope and I was blown away at the numbers tuning in today. Some 300 people viewing over 5 hours of broadcast time in the 10 mins or so I was live on air.

You can catch todays Periscope, and as always I will edit the 'tips' section down in due course, here:

https://t.co/R4YnOYnktL

Lapping around down to La Daille = weather and vis better but got rather lump and bumpy - roll on the piste bashing of it tonight and it should be in fine condition tomorrow.

I was back with little Henry this afternoon and we mainly spent time lapping down at La Daille as it was rather windy and nasty still up high but it did get better and they managed to open rather a lot later in the afternoon.

The other day I showed pictures of the prices at the Marmottes restaurant.... opposite end of the price spectrum at the Folie Douce now..... is this why Val gets a bad name for prices perhaps!

Nice food but some eye watering prices some would say...

Anyway folks a rather short update today as I am pretty tired this evening and would like a relatively early night.

It is once again snowing heavily this evening and we should get a decent break in the weather tomorrow before it all moves back in again tomorrow night and then it could be on and off heavy snow again for a few days.

With the avalanche risk at 4/5 out there it could lead to wide natural avalanches but most likely skier triggered. So stay safe people.!
snow conditions
@Steve Angus,
Hi Steve. Do you know if you guys at tdc are busy next week. Might need to get the wife a couple of hours private lessons as she has never had to deal with fresh snow before. In the 8 years since I introduced her to skiing she has been lucky enough to have blue skies and perfect pistes Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Steve, sorry we didn't bump into you last week - had a great week based in Val Claret. We had Tignes local area passes but were persuaded to upgrade to full EK passes on arrival - a very good move, even for the two relative beginners with us (who loved the runs off the Borsat Express). New Year's Day we had lunch in Val D'Isere after downloading on the Olympique (and looking with horror at the Face below! - at that time the only access from Tignes side direct to Val D) - I went on to ski over to Col d'Iseran and back to Tignes before close, well pleased with myself.
Yes the snow was a bit firm in places (and the blue ice showing in patches off the top of Grande Mottes terrified me) but we had a great week and will have to come back.
Posting all this here because your posts made me feel ready and prepared for the week, as well as psyched up for skiing here - well done, keep up the good work.
latest report
Steve, thanks for the updates, what a day today was. As you say, another true bluebird day. We did the Fontaine Froide as our first run and we were the only 2 on it, plenty of untracked powder, although it looked like they'd pisted one side of it.

Amazing morning up the Olympic side, got a bit excited as the Borsat started to run as we went past, we had visions of being the first down genepy but it didn't happen as the lifty said it would be at least 1 to 2 hours before they let people on. So we did another lap and ended up going down Face at 11am which was starting to get a big bumpy, albeit soft so wasn't too bad, but we wished we'd gone down a hour earlier.

Then went up Solaise and ended up at the Sun bar, wow, it felt like March, it was only minus one. 2 years ago, this week was minus 25! Whilst we experience warmer winters, Val will continue to have rising house prices. Met Chris Hawthorne tonight who gave us a few pointers.

Clare is an amazing teacher, she is doing very well William, many thanks.
snow report
Just heard the news about the Avalanche today, frightening and our thoughts go out to the families.

Not a time to take any risks right now, be careful out there.

http://pistehors.com/one-dead-and-two-seriously-injuried-in-val-disere-avalanches-24200227.htm
ski holidays
Timg60 - thanks for the message. Yes indeed there are a few gaps next week (at the moment and filling up bit by bit). The mornings are especially busy but the afternoons have more slots available. It is best to book in advance of the start of the actual week as the last few slots (especially earlier in the week) will go before the weekend arrivals. If you would like further information then please private message (PM) me and I will give you further details. Thanks. Steve

MSG101 - Well I am so glad you enjoyed yourself and it sounds like it was a very successful trip. Yes sorry did not see you - there are is rather a lot of people here in a very large area! Also glad I was able to be part of your trip in the build up phase - always here to please!

trainee snowboard jedi - Yes indeed I will report on the avalanche death in a moment when do daily posting. You mean the Tete du Solaise as in 'Sun Bar' as opposed to the one at the bottom of the Solaise do you. Yes the Borsat remained shut all day - pisteurs had too many others things going on and there was positive movements avalanche wise right around the top of the lift when they blasted this morning so they decided to hold back on an opening today! Yes it was warm today for sure and totally unseasonable in general... has been all season! You did the Face - must have been rather bumpy! Chris Hawthorne - who the heck is that? Do you mean Chris Howarth!
snow report
Folie Douce - you are right Steve, the prices are VERY high but I actually think the food is pretty good. Usual story, you are in a premium restaurant in a premium resort -- you makes your choice ! You are paying for the brand of course ! ... steer clear of the merchandise shop if you think the food is expensive !
snow report
@trainee snowboard jedi, tragic news indeed about the avalanches. If the report is accurate, with skiers going down the Santons piste when it was closed, given an avalanche risk rating of 4, that is clearly very risky. The valley obviously looks to be a big avalanche risk from the entry point. Similarly I think Piste L, from the side of the Solaise down to Le Laisinant, just looks like trouble after heavy snow.
ski holidays
2 hours, 2 avalanche, 3 burials, 1 death, 20+ pisteurs, 4 helicopters, 2 avalanche dogs.....

You get the picture.... more on that in a moment.

So we awoke to the sound of tractor clearance of the roads and car park outside our flat this morning - always a sign of more fresh. Indeed there was another 20cm or so - that makes about 50cm in town in the last 48 hours and more up high AND on top of that with the wind effect there was about a metre or so in some places!

The sun soon took hold and popped through the clouds - although it was a chilly morning (about -10 and got warmer as the day went on - aided by the effect of the sun).

I was teaching the same two lesson participants (am and pm) today and it was nice to be able to get up the mountain and enjoy the weather, snow and scenery!

It was a very successful morning although there was an air of powder hound hunger in the air. With the fresh snow the pistes certainly got a little lumpy and bumpy as the day went on but they are now in excellent condition. The off piste is also now hotting up and there was some lovely turns to be had out there but you had to be very careful.

Photo courtesy of Alpine Experience

By lunchtime the clouds really had parted and it was a lovely day.... however at the same time news started filtering through of the first avalanche over on Bellevarde. [WHAT FOLLOWS BELOW IS THE BEST INFORMATION OF WHAT HAPPENED OBTAINED FROM VARIOUS SOURCES FROM PISTEURS TO NEWS REPORTS TO AN EYE WITNESS ACCOUNT - apologies if I am slightly incorrect in what I have written]

For those that know the off piste areas up the Bellevarde it happened on the high traverse into the Kern (french spelling of what the Brits call the Cairn) - this is a CLASSIC route. It would seem as if 3 English seasonnaires (I am yet to find out whom they work for / where or anything) put the first tracks into the bowl from just below the top pillon of the Olympique lift (so the accident was right under the lift almost). They traversed in clumped together (first rule of off piste ignored there) and the slide took 2 of the three. The slide was some 80 meters wide with a crown 80cm deep. The first person was recovered quickly and the third not buried at all. The second guy was buried for some five minutes under 150cm of snow was found in a state of cardioid-vascular arrest by pisteurs. Following reanimation at the scene he was helicoptered to the main Grenoble hospital in serious condition. Luckily these guys were wearing transceivers otherwise the outcome could have been much worse!

So the photo above was taken as the rescue heli was coming into land - in fact the picture was taken from the chopper. You can see the traverse line coming in from the left where they entered the slope from.

I actually came over the scene of the accident about an hour after this photo was taken after the clear up had taken away and included it in my periscope today. You can catch it as follows:

https://t.co/NcUa8m3zqK

ALSO FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE NOT TECHNICALLY SAVY OR DO NOT HAVE THE APP ON YOUR PHONE THEN YOU CAN WATCH ALL MY DAILY PERISCOPE VIDEOS USING THE ' KTCH' (KATCH.ME website) LINKS THAT I SHALL ALSO POST DAILY NOW ASWELL

https://ktch.tv/5Lht

Anyway thankfully it would seem as this person will make a full recovery. However the risk out there today is 4/5 so it is high - a general and widespread risk of avalanche occurrence and it was interesting to note that slides were being triggered from a distance which is always a sure fire sign of general risk and prudence to be applied.

The SAMU ambulance chopper comes in to take the injured away

An interesting selfie of some of the pisteur 'hero' rescuers from today. Sylvain at the front is the head honcho in these parts and on the Bellevarde mountain!

The most puzzling aspect of these slides is that the warnings signs were all over the place. On the Olympique lift you can clearly see lower down (same snow, same aspect , virtually same altitude, virtually the same angle of slope) the mountain there is avalanche activity as this photo shows:

...yet for whatever reason the warning signs were ignored and the consequences could have been much more in this particular case!

In fact all over the mountain today there were the warning signs:

In this photo - there is clearly avalanche activity (rh side of the photo) however someone on their own (second run of off piste broken there - never go on your own - in fact that rule applies to general skiing / snowboarding) has skied moniteurs couloir - there is a track coming down on its own just to the left of the where the chair is in the pic)

In this photo taken from the Fontaine Froide lift these category 1 / 2 sized avalanches have all been triggered by skiers / snowboarders - some from a few metres away. But still people take risks! Ok these small ones are not likely to do more than shake you up or possibly twist your knee or something but it is a sign of general risk taking!

Anyway folks not long after the pisteurs had finished their work on the first avalanche but news of a second slide came in. This time people had skied down above and to the side of the Santons piste which is very much closed and set a slide off. Of the group of 4 Spanish skiers one unfortunately was buried. This Santons group were not so lucky. The skiers did not have avalanche beacons and rescue had to await the piste patrol and their avalanche dogs who arrived at the scene 15 minutes after the slide. Too late for one of the victims despite a long resuscitation attempt after being found under 150cm of snow. The incident was probably made worse as the piste, running through a gulley where the slide occurred, is a natural terrain trap. The slide was 30 meters wide with a crown of 100cm. The risk was 4 at the time and the slope showed evidence of cross-loaded snow. So that was the death in town today! RIP

The afternoon was back with Henry and we had a lovely time zipping about and he really learnt to master the bumps and lumps and we also worked on getting his stance width a little narrower as it is hindering his ability at the moment at the age of 7 to allow his skis to come into parallel. He was pretty tired by the end of the afternoon but as always he gave it his all!

I got back home and both Clare and I Skyped Olivias grandparents back home which I hope both sides enjoyed... I then had the task which I hate every year of taking all the Xmas decorations down. After dinner I have just popped to Fall Line bar for another of our (and final one for this year) TDC Seasonnaires sign up evening for our seasonnaires programs... as it turned out virtually all of TDC were there so it was more of a social than anything really but the seasonnaires were signing up in their droves which is cool!

Clare was busy with trainee snowboard jedi son William this morning and he is really coming on well and just LOVES skiing. Thanks for the kind words above - I shall pass on to Clare. In the afternoon Clare was over in Tignes teaching another snowhead thecramps and it sounds like a good lesson was had over there.

So the forecast is for a little more snow coming in tomorrow and then Thursday it could get a lot heavier again.

Stand by for more updates! Remember I will be actively posting info and pics etc relevant to Val d'Isere on my Twitter account so please follow me @SteveAngusSnow
latest report
HI steve. Like the katch me option as thevideo quality is much better than when watching it on periscope.
snow report
smagsmith wrote:
HI steve. Like the katch me option as thevideo quality is much better than when watching it on periscope.

hmmm - thought it was mainly due to the internet connection either way when I record it but will post both... problem with Katch option is that no option to 'tap' screen / share / follow but that is most certainly NOT the be all and end all and not the motivation for the clips so if I reaches a wider audience then that is cool! Thanks for your support on the Periscoping!
snow report
@Steve Angus, like someone mentioned before - some sort of 1 minute notice or something before you go live would be good, not sure if thats possible though.

Really enjoy your updates and its cool to see people from allover the world watching. (ps i'm Mark who more than often says hi, comments or asks questions!)

Not be long before you have over 1000 viewers i think.
latest report
Thanks Steve for taking the time to write that in depth post on the tragic avalanches today. The photos and analysis of the warning signs especially informative.
snow report
Such sad news but I really can't understand the mentality of some pie people. Not only putting themselves at Rick but also others. There is surely enough warning signs and common sense around to avoid a lot of these tragedies. Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy