Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Steve Angus wrote:
The wound is MUCH smaller than in that picture now and painless more or less!
So glad! Made me feel faint just looking at it!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha ha ha
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Steve Angus, thanks for the updates. We had Lindasy Vonn within 100 yards today;)
Currently staying in an apartment next to the stage in the main street so a side view of everything from 5 pm including the back of the ice sculpture and the eagle this evening.

We are leaving on Sunday morning and have a small artificial Christmas tree with lights and decorations, if anybody wants it from tomorrow night for there apartment over Christmas week let me know and I can arrange drop off/collection. Hate to see it go in the bin.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm enjoying your reports and videos no imminent plans for skiing France but have been to val DIsere
Love watching and especially as we are gearing up to40 c here in Melbourne Australia today 😀❄️🎿
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steve Angus, unlucky with the attempt to interview The Vonn. lol. Nice try but Olivia was having none of it.

Loving the periscopes and although I don't often get chance to watch it live as I work in an open plan office and I may get a few odd looks, I always watch them when I get home. Will be great when you get back up on the pistes.

Next challenge is to periscope whilst skiing the Face, or even better if you can do it whilst doing some cool off piste. How cool would it be to scope from the top of Pisteurs Couloir (or similar)? Of course, only do this if it is safe and won't get you in trouble. Don't want to damage your reputation in the resort as a respectable instructor.

Anyway, keep them coming. Great work.

Cheers
Smag
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
muppet - 100 yards from Vonn - damn it you should be the reporter! Pity re your tree - hope you found a home for it - we have one of our own otherwise I would claim it! Talking of the ice sculpture - forgot to post this picture I took yesterday!

Sperks - wow these posts and videos spam the globe they really do! Melbourne - nice place - I lived in Sydney for a year and taught skiing to Ozzies in Thredbo (NSW) many moons ago! Hope you can make it back to Val at some point in the future!

smagsmith - my main man on the Periscope front - it seems as if you manage to tune in often to them... always appreciated when people say hi - I have to say doing the Periscopes (like today) is a little tricky - thinking, talking, reading the comments and then in a situation like today you get people looking at you all weird like as you are talking to yourself it would seem! Trying to make them seem a tiny winy bit professional without too many 'umm's' and 'ahh's' is tricky but I am getting better I like to think.

But yea no chance of getting anywhere near the Vonn today - getting the timing right of arriving with Olivia in a patient mood in a good location etc - all conspired against me today! Yea I am looking forward to getting back on the slopes.

GREAT SUGGESTION for Periscope locations etc..... I think the only line I would draw is actually skiing and filming - even more multi-tasking to be done as well as being rather more dangerous. However I would happily video people I am skiing / teaching with (with their permission of course) and do it that way. But CERTAINLY planning to do 'on location' stuff for sure when I am back on the hill. MAIN THING TO REMEMBER THOUGH is that I need a pretty good internet signal in order to broadcast and also somewhere without a hurricane blowing... but just another couple of considerations I need to think about.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE I DO TODAYS UPDATE I JUST WANTED TO PUT THE FOLLOWING OUT THERE AS IT REALLY HAS BEEN A WONDERFUL SURPRISE.... Our office called me to tell me a parcel had arrived for me this morning at our office..... so I was puzzled as to whom was sending something to our office. Anyway essentially a kind Snowhead (and the key thing here is that I have nothing to know whom it is) has sent me a 'get well soon' style parcel. The card inside was signed off by 'a Snowhead' and the person reads this regularly - they knew I am into my cricket (cricket Ashes DVD inside) and obvisouly about my dodgy ankle. However there is nothing for me to guess as to who it is - no postmark on it or anything. SO WHOMEVER THOUGHT TO SEND ME SOME COMEDY DvD's TO CHEER ME UP WITH MY DODGY ANKLE ETC - THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH A truly lovely thought. I shall be watching those DVD's - yes we have a DVD player! I think only on Snowheads would you get someone go to such lengths to cheer a fellow SH up - sending DVD's overseas! I have no idea whom it was but again thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A nice day

The day started early as Clare had to be up the top of the Bellevarde for 7am to start course slipping (well as it turned out they decided to do minimal slipping as the course was holding up very well from training days and as the days sun shone down it meant the course was a little too soft for much slipping to be done!)

I had a semi lie in as Olivia did not wake up until 7.45!

The usual morning routine but all by myself before heading to La Daille to try and catch some of the Womens Downhill World Cup race.... to be honest I did not see too much of it for various reasons but my attempt at todays Periscope from down there can be seen here: https://t.co/4ZkqR17faA. It is not the best effort ever but you get a flavour for the racing!

In terms of getting back on the snow I have decided that although I could probably ski on it I would be stuffed if I damaged the healing process on my ankle again! Since we are heading back to the UK as a family on Wednesday 23rd and back again on Sunday 27th I will not ski or work until Monday 28th December.... so not skiing for me for another 10 days... wound should be 100% fully healed by then and raring to go I trust. So apologies there will not an an ON SNOW Periscope until then but of course 'normal' Periscopes before then.

After coming home and giving Olivia lunch she took a 2.5 hour sleep so I made the most of the time to catch up with a few things. When she awoke we went for a walk around town... I popped into the new Artic Cafe to see how they are getting on - the had hoped to open today but it looks like it has been put back to tomorrow - but it should be good!

The winner of the race today, Lara Gut received a cow (amongst other things) as their prize...

Last night there was a serious car crash in Tignes Val Claret... I dont know the details but I know it involved drink driving and I believe the 2 persons may have slipped over (perhaps in front of the car or something - I dont know). But anyway the two people were seriously injured - be safe folks!

Anyway think that is about it for tonight - just demolished a takeaway (oh meant to say I took Olivia to Blue Note - I knew it would be quiet, earlier on our 'walk' too - she loved nibbles in there and the next thing I new she was taking a sip of my beer - cheeky monkey) and now settling in to watch the final of Strictly!

TTFN
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steve Angus, met Paul from Mountain Rooms this evening and some of the staff have a home for the tree (as well as the left over beer/chocolate etc) Enjoy your Christmas parcel and break back in the UK, hope Olivia enjoys the holidays with the family.
Back out March/April and probably end of Jan so let us know if you need more Yorkshire tea bags Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@muppet, great you found a home for it - I was actually in Mountain Rooms today and heard them chatting about a nice customer who had sorted them out a tree! Yea looking forward to my first Xmas back in the UK for about 12 years I think it is with the family! Yorkshire tea bags - THANKS for the offer.... have about a million coming out our ears here to be honest but I do go through a lot of tea so you never know.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Steve Angus, I've really enjoyed your Periscope videos, just looking forward to when you start doing them on the pistes.

As I said on your last one, have a good trip back to the UK and I'm looking forward to my skiing lesson next month! Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Sunday temptations.... in the photo above!

Have had a lovely day.... a leisurely start - Olivia was not awake too early... family scrambled eggs on toast. Clare took Olivia off swimming (New Year and hopefully my ankle will allow me back in the water!). I went and had my dressing changed and did a couple of other chores. The rest of the day was pretty chilled watching some Xmas films etc.

Popped into town to do a couple of chores and walked past Chevallot and the window display made my mouth water BUT I knew that we had a lovely Sunday roast this evening. Indeed we have just polished off a roast then mince pies and custard - yummy!

It was another unseasonably warm day but we are really hopeful that there could be a little snow coming in next few days... fingers crossed.

My ankle is getting better and better and now no longer have a bandage wrapped around it. Yay.

In local news the local boy Muffet-Jeandet got another 3rd place in GS in Alta Badia. The new Maison de Val where the cinema is hosted gets better as they have opened a library in there amongst other things and the town council have decided to re-instate the Yellow Bus which will go from the town centre in a loop up to the Maison de Val next to the leisure centre every 9 mins and then back via Snowberry and the Rond post des Pistes to the centre of town!

My Periscope today I talked about the in's and out's of La Daille skiing area part of town... https://t.co/vZpUmW1h2v

Finally I am looking forward to this tomorrow evening in town:

Quite a short one this evening but it has been a rather quiet day.

TTFN
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@RichardB, Smile Smile Smile Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Feeling more Christmassy now

Good evening everyone. It has been a nice day in town... the resort feels pretty festive.... Santa will be handing out presents for the kids in the centre of town in a couple of days town, hot chocolates abound for holidaymakers and all in all it really feels like Christmas. I suppose my build up to Xmas has felt much longer this year due to the ankle issues but I am now excited as in a couple of days time we'll be back for Xmas in the UK with family.

The weather today was rather strange - overcast for most of the day with a few sprinkles of snow but it was too humid to come to much! In fact there was even some rain for a short while BUT that will have meant snow on the mountain - yay!

I waited in for our new washing machine to arrive (which it did dead on time) and then I headed to Bonne Sante Physio in town where I am helping our friend Lou out with some paperwork as she is a little behind at the moment. In fact my Periscope was from there today and I talked to Lou about here business (well makes a change from hearing me drone on and on every day doesnt it!)

https://t.co/wdL2KZ6bR2

By lunchtime I was outta there (a little more tomorrow).... back home I spent a couple hours getting our integrated washing machine (broken one) out and the new one plumbed in... no sooner was it in and it was set to work as we have LOTS to do!

I also popped into the Artic Cafe as it finally opened today for a cuppa and a sticky bun - yummy!

Suddenly this evening it was a mad rush as we headed to the carol service in the church. It was lovely - a blend (mostly English orientated) of French and English songs and there was plenty of kids there. I wouldn't say Olivia was on her best behaviour and certainly had ants in her pants but it was nice. Hope it can happen again next year.

Not a huge amount of local news I'm afraid.

However I have now managed to extract from my Periscopes my 'tips sections' - this first one talking about Bourg Saint Maurice (tricky editing it but hope I got the correct bit):

https://ktch.tv/5b4n?s=01s&e=04m33s

...and the second one on La Daille skiing:

https://ktch.tv/5fTb?s=04m04s&e=11m49s

Picked up some nice pics today:

Moody weather in town

Nice nativity scene (still to be completed) outside the church this evening carved into the snow

Last update tomorrow before back to the UK.

TTFN
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steve Angus, and others, thanks for all the tips for my trip to the EK last week. Adding my tuppence worth on top 3 runs having now been there I'd plump for Face (nice long black with added sense of achievement for a relative novice doing it first thing in the morning - Steve, I noted one of your colleagues from TDC trying to gee up a group on the start of the steepest pitch), Cretes/Combe Folle/Trolles (daunting at the start of the week but by the time I'd done Face later in the week I really enjoyed my last run on it, nice and varied with narrow bits and wide steep bits) and Corniche/Bleuets (lovely cruisy blue/red, again with varied terrain to enjoy).

Honourable mentions to Grand Pre (nice cruisy green that I wish I could have got the wife to but the top of Creux was too much) and Edelweiss when it was closed (nice virgin snow but a nightmare when it was open and I was trying to get my 6 year old daughter to ski down it with hundreds of people whizzing by).

It's fair to say I'm gutted more runs weren't open as would have loved to give Arcelle, Sache, Silene, OK, Orange, Rhone Alpes, Germain Mattis and others a go. But it's just an excuse to come back again although I might have to give it a year or two as it wasn't ideal for Mrs Fox especially after she was skied into twice in the first two days, knocking her, already fragile, confidence. I reckon a couple of trips to more beginner friendly resorts and then a couple of days with @Steve Angus will do the job.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 22-12-15 21:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
White Fox - thanks for a nice trip report there. Sounds like you achieved lots of what you set out to do but pity about the Mrs.... next time as they say! Thanks for your thoughts on the various runs!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Slippy!

After the rain come humid snow last night in town (a dusting on the hill) there was a heavy freeze and so this morning and much of today it was lethal walking anywhere. In fact I was doing some work again at Bonne Sante and there seemed to be plenty of phone calls asking to be seen from people who had slipped on the ice..... get yourself crampons for shoes people - that should help a little.

My Periscope (last one of them until next Monday) talks about it and the reasons why they do not clear the pavements and roads (which incidentally is almost universally frowned upon!)

https://t.co/tPmLcykcnk

It was another lovely sunny day in town and I was up working in Bonne Sante as I said in the morning. I had a meeting at lunchtime and then did a few jobs at home like pack bags this afternoon and evening.

The freezing level is set to drop overnight so they should be able to make some artificial snow to freshen things up which will be nice.

For the next few days (as I am back in the UK - leave early tomorrow to drive to Geneva Airport) I will attempt to do update on here but they will be skeleton updates as obviously I won't be here to take pics etc. So I will be relying purely on friends and Radio Val pics etc. So if anyone is in town and wants to contribute then you'd be most welcome. I will be back on it on Monday (get back late Sunday night). Needless to say the roads this Saturday will be EXTREMELY busy so plan your journey carefully if you have to travel on Saturday.

All in all folks enjoy the next few days, Christmas and all the celebrations. This will be my first time home for Xmas in 12 years and the first time I have not been in resort at this special time of year. It will be a hectic few days but well worth it.

TTFN
ski holidays
Good to see you've had a dusting. Water was streaming off the mountains (south-facing at least) in Tignes when I left on Sunday.

I forgot to add my most disappointing run - Plan/Piste M although more to do with me than the piste. It was the first run after lunch at Ouilette (excellent and good value) and I don't know if I was not warmed up or if it was the pint of Stella but I felt nervy all the way down when it should have been a nice run. I was back on it for Trolles into Tignes le Lac but still a shame.

Have a great trip back to the UK, Steve.
latest report
Ouilette, I like that place. Nice food.
ski holidays
Home

Well we made it back. Super tired now so most mega quick update ever. I'm also on my phone so can't seem to work out a way of posting a picture here and now.

Anyway it seems like it was wall to wall sunshine across the Espace Killy today. Temperatures were a fair bit colder too so the snow cannons were on in key places across the resort such as the 'home' runs but they are obviously going to be in conservation made as with more mild temperatures forecast and the reservoirs only of finite resource they don't want to go for broke.

Local news is rather flat with everyone still focused on Xmas day and all that.

That's your lot for today folks... Told ya they'd be quick updates whilst I'm back in Blighty.

Ankle feels good btw.
ski holidays
Skiing above Val D'Isere generally good today. The snow managers and groomers are doing a brilliant job. A few much loved runs are closed, eg Arcelle, Epaule de Charvet, Laisinant home run and Santons(!). Face de Bellevarde open, Solaise in good condition, Toviere OK but watch out for rocks. Full sun and temperatures between +2 and -6 made for a very enjoyable day. Looking forward to Tignes tomorrow. snowHead
snow conditions
Hi Angus, can I ask a question? My wife needs/wants new skis. We were thinking that we may hire some this year with a view to buying. So is there anywhere you know of that lets you swap out and has a large enough selection to let us try a variety?
snow report
henzerani wrote:
Hi Angus, can I ask a question? My wife needs/wants new skis. We were thinking that we may hire some this year with a view to buying. So is there anywhere you know of that lets you swap out and has a large enough selection to let us try a variety?

It's Steve Angus, but I'm sure you're not the first to get that mixed up
latest report
@ henzerani
my guess is that Steve is busy with his family having a well deserved rest from the blog. He recommended Snowberry to us. We have reserved skis from them via the web and they have provided excellent customer service so far. Haven't arrived in EK yet but we anticipate great skis which are this years models. Check out their website and I'm sure if you e-mailed your questions about swapping skis I'm sure they will respond. In my experience ski rental shops are more than happy to swap skis for you. Snowberry is, I believe, very convenient to the slopes in Val D'Isere so it would be easy to swap at the beginning or end of the day. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
intermediate wrote:
Skiing above Val D'Isere generally good today. The snow managers and groomers are doing a brilliant job. A few much loved runs are closed, eg Arcelle, Epaule de Charvet, Laisinant home run and Santons(!). Face de Bellevarde open, Solaise in good condition, Toviere OK but watch out for rocks. Full sun and temperatures between +2 and -6 made for a very enjoyable day. Looking forward to Tignes tomorrow. snowHead

I thought Solaise had some nasty icy bits.... and pebbles rolling about amoungst the snow made from the snow cannons...
snow report
Return to the norm

It seems as if it was a return to the norm in Val today with the unusually high temps. No real changes to the openings on the slopes etc. However being Xmas eve the French were celebrating to the max this eve... Lots of huge family meals that is for sure. Like last night no photo today I'll be back with the full updates with pics etc from Monday.

Yes in deed I have been confused with being called Angus rather than Steve on many an occasion so no problems on that front.

To answer your query I would always recommend Snowberry as they have a good selection of THIS years skis etc and you can swap around etc loads. Good location too. So for giving you the opportunity to try a few different models then this would be a good option for sure.

Anyway folks hope ur having a great Xmas eve and enjoy the celebrations tomorrow wherever and whatever you're doing.

From a wet and windy (not as bad as most in the UK I know) Bournemouth MERRY CHRISTMAS.
snow report
More than enough good skiing in Tignes today to keep our discerning party happy. Even better than Val D yesterday. 'Fear not said he, for mighty dread had seized their troubled minds'. Merry Christmas to all snowHeads.
snow report
East facing Tignes slopes all very good. Double M so good we had to do it thrice. Grande Motte - red good, black icy. Combe Folles looked forbidding so missed. Trolles polished but not bad. Blue to Les Brev awful, should have health warning. Surprisingly quiet and no queues. Sunny, 0 to -6, breeze picking up. Memorable Christmas Eve!
ski holidays
@HeidiAmsterdam, I agree, especially middle section of Solaise run into Val D is skiddy with a few small loose rocks. Not too intimidating I thought. Snow on top of Solaise was excellent. New covered magic carpets very comfortable but slow. Wish draglift alternative had been retained.
For a real icy rocky thrill, Les Arcs and La Plagne is a short drive away. That makes the Solaise and Espace Killy generally look like snow heaven!
latest report
Dejavu

Well firstly a massive MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone. I trust that everyone has had an enjoyable one whatever you have been up to.

It was our second Xmas day in a row here... Up, some pressie opening then drive up to Hungerford where I am now. Massive 16 person including 6 kids under 6 Xmas extravaganza. Lots of eating and drinking and kids (especially) pressie opening. A nice day.

Totally STUFFED now though!

Back in Val it sounds like it was business as normal. Lots of skiing done. Obviously with the poor start to the season we have had the strain on the snow that exists is massive... In fact some resorts (NOT Espace Killy) are stopping locals and seasonaires from using the slopes by temporarily blocking lift passes... Instead keeping the snow for the holidaymakers. Val and Tignes are fairing well snow wise so luckily no restrictions but desperate times in some resorts.

Those that are travelling tomorrow.... Expect major travel headaches.... 35000 vehicles are expected into the tarentaise valley.... That's lots so as usual arrive early or very late and you'll be thanking yourself. Of course if you have the choice that is.

And that is about all for today folks. 24 hours more here and then we too shall be planning our departure again on Sunday.

Enjoy the rest of the festivities.

TTFN
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doesn't look too bad in Val d'Isere at the mo

ski holidays
Indeed the snow is still great out there if u r happy to hike for it!! Plenty of pistes too in not too bad nick as the groomers work double time to keep it nice!

Back to reality

Well folks that is another Xmas totally over. Not much to say apart from I trust that those who travelled to resort today made it ok. Those still in the country.... I hope you haven't been affected by the rain too much!

Back in Val the tourist office are confirming that season to date they are running at 90% of last year which considering the snow being far from ideal is not too bad.

And finally for those interested in seeing a snippet of how Val celebrates Xmas then please check out the following video.

https://www.facebook.com/1130303713650017/videos/1448035805210138/

Probably no update tomorrow as will arrive too late and have too much to sort before work on Monday am. HOWEVER MONDAY the Periscopes start again and more detailed updates here.

Cheers one and all.
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Happy Christmas to you all. Looking forward to our lesson with Clare in January.

Meanwhile thanks for the blog.

Go steady guys

thecramps and mrsthecramps
snow report
snow conditions
Hi Steve,
Glad you had a lovely Christmas back with family, as an ex-pat myself I know how precious family time is.
I was worried to hear of the pain in your ankle with getting your boot on again. I wonder if that is why you had a problem in the first place. Do you have a pressure point on the ankle bone from your boot? The fact that you had pain even though everything has healed suggests this may have all stemmed from the fit of your boot. (I am a surgeon so have a little background to speak from!) Was this a new boot this season? Glad you didn't soldier on all day in your original boot - you could have ended up back at square one!!
I am anxious to see you fit so you may enjoy the season and also (somewhat selfishly) as I have lessons booked with you for the second week in January!
Once again - thanks for your great blogs and periscopes - so useful and a fantastic service for all of us coming to EK to ski.
ski holidays
Yesterday was the busiest I've ever seen - and I've skied at Hemel on a winter Saturday! It was pretty unpleasant and we gave up on skiing to have a nice lunch instead. It didn't feel safe on the slopes, and the lift queues were awful. I noticed several uniforms of ski instructors bringing groups over from other resorts, and I'm guessing a lot of people have bussed in from elsewhere. Not sure if we're going to bother putting our skis on today Sad
snow report
Vasta - thanks for this.... it was a very precious time at home indeed! Boots - well yes I was wondering if the boots had created the problem in the first place.... HOWEVER the boots have not changed at all since last season - same liners - everything is the same. I wore them on and off in the UK in the Summer when I was teaching... so not quite sure why suddenly they would be problematic! The boots are a very snug fit and the liners are foamed by one of the top experts in the UK - Colin Martin in Bicester and he really knows his stuff so dont think it can be that. Weird. The boots as I said are snug but thats the way it goes - most ski instructors will be in something similar (set up) to me! Yea there was no way I could soldier on all day and I was worried mid morning that I was damaging it but alas all seems to be well! I should be absolutely fine for when your lessons start fear not!

Maireadoconnor - sorry to hear your experiences but I hear what you are saying that is for sure. There are some instructors coming in from elsewhere with their clients yes but also some ski schools draft in instructors from other resorts as there is such demand on their services here.... they often dont get a 'local' uniform. So its a bit of both really. On a week like this there are dozens of instructors I dont recognise all about town it has to be said. Whatever the morals of it etc it is leading to some pretty long queues but more chat on that in a moment!
ski holidays
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Yesterday was the busiest I've ever seen - and I've skied at Hemel on a winter Saturday! It was pretty unpleasant and we gave up on skiing to have a nice lunch instead. It didn't feel safe on the slopes, and the lift queues were awful. I noticed several uniforms of ski instructors bringing groups over from other resorts, and I'm guessing a lot of people have bussed in from elsewhere. Not sure if we're going to bother putting our skis on today Sad

I had a feeling it was going to be like that this week.... I was booked in Italy, but no snow there, so spent the first 2 of the 3 week skiing in Tignes. I thought it was pretty busy Christmas week, and NY week was going to be busier.... driving down the mountain last Saturday afternoon, it was car after car coming up the mountain. I thought, mmmm good time to leave.

In Norway, after a torturing 18 hour drive, and 3,5 hour bumpy ferry ride, recovering from it all at the moment, but intend to start chasing snow tomorrow... and hopefully snow on a mountain with a chair lift!

Want to come back to Tignes after the snow has come, and the crowds have gone.
latest report
Torchlight Tuesday!

Well folks like work backwards today and ill start with the torchlite descent this evening I did down the Face. I actually videoed it for Periscope too. It was rather tricky, skiing, looking ahead, talking, pointing the camera etc all at the same time so it was hardly my best effort but hopefully it will give you a flavour for what it is like actually doing the torchlit descent down the Face in the darkness whilst carrying a flair! So the 24 hour only link and the 'forever available' links below.

https://t.co/w16CeDYuEf
Replay version after 24 hours of the broadcast time / date has elapsed: https://t.co/U0nQKd01CS

So yes it was a rather different torchlite tonight as we started lower down at the Peau du Vache restaurant and went down into town from there. The rather thin snow cover higher up and the danger of stones etc that posed led them to lower the start. Starting their had the problem that the restaurant is not really big enough to host some 400 instructors in search of a quick beer before the ski down so it was rather hectic. Anyway it was a nice descent in the end and not too bad to be honest - I have done it in much worse conditions! The fireworks were nice at the bottom of course but they had the public lined up across the slope and netted back which was a first. Oh and they were new and inferior flairs this time too - hope we go back to better old ones next time!

As I mentioned above the lift queues are pretty horrendous up there at the moment. I think some of the major problems are that runs like Santons are not open so everyone draining down to town from the Bellevarde and NOT wanting to ski to La Daille essentially has to download on the Olympique or ski Le Face so Santons is ruled out so lifts like the Fontaine Froid are extra busy. I am so glad snow is forecast as I have to say that the piste conditions are some of the worst I have seen in a long time and the lift queues are problematic this week - it is just panning out to be one of those weeks it really is but HEY we have a descent amount open so we cant complain too much!

HOWEVER play your cards right and there are ways in which to minimise queuing on a week like this or anytime in peak season so here are a couple of tips.

1) Get up early. When the ESF (amongst others) start their group lessons at 9.30 the queues are huge. So the photo below shows that at 9.02am you can get small and almost non-existent queues - once your at the door to the Olympique it is generally only a 3 min queue time inside....

2) Think smart. Where would people (the hordes be heading at certain times of the day) for example at 11.30/12 people are starting to think about lunch - consider stopping for an early or late lunch! 4pm everyone is trying to get back to Val / Tignes so lifts like Tommeuse will be busier. Consider going against your instincts and getting the bus to Fornet for example and getting to the glacier early and lapping a few times before everyone arrives by ski

3) Smaller groups: Travel quicker around the resort. On lifts by splitting up you will both get there quicker as spaces on chairs can be filled - ok a minute here or there but it may mean one whole extra run by the end of the day perhaps!

Horrible queues of 10 mins approx for Fontaine Froide mid morning - note Santons etc all shut off!

I mentioned before the resort having other people come to it for skiing as their resorts were lacking in snow.... well the neighbouring resort of Bonneval at the head of the Maurienne Valley have been busing people up from their side of the Col d'Iseran to drop groups off for a ski in Val.... here is the bus right up near the Col.

The lift queues however were well managed on the Pim and Pam magic carpets today I was happy to see... multi people to manage the lift lines - hope that continues! Near the top you can see where the new gondola top station will come in along with pictures to help the imagination.

The thousands of people watching the fireworks at the end of the torchlite descent down Le Face.

Finally in some local news... a meeting of the Association of Local Residents it would seem had long chats with the STVI today about the possibility of the next big lift project in town being the redevelopment of the La Daille gondola and replacing that with a 10 person gondola at some point.... that will happen but the question is exactly where the lift will start from and end at.... that could be a 10 year battle to sort that out.

Lesson wise today I was back in the slightly bigger more comfy ski boots with a 'donut' padding around the remnants of my wound - caused me no problems at all - so that is good news.... shall try my performance boots back on in a few days time and see how I go. These ones are fine though so happy chappy here.

I taught the same teen this morning and she did really well - hoping to get a red run under our belt tomorrow hopefully. In the afternoon I had a nice lady GP from London and we worked on confidence and getting here more confident on red runs but she hates Plan M down the Solaise so with the limited openings we have available it was up to Moraine on the Val glacier which she skied very well on.

Think that is all for now.

TTFN
ski holidays
Hi Steve,
Loved your periscope today - really gave a feel for the descent and the festive atmosphere in town - Bravo! It must have been hard.

Please know I was not casting aspersions on the quality or fitment of your ski boots. I can only imagine the time, effort and cost a snowsports professional must have to invest in their equipment. But it is a puzzle to me what could have caused the problem with your ankle? I guess I knew it would have been too easy a solution to blame it on a new boot! I wonder if it would be possible to modify the boot slightly to give your ankle bone a bit of extra room and avoid the pressure? Anyway it sounds like you are back in the groove and enjoying the teaching and the skiing. I am thankful to see snow is on it's way to improve the conditions.

Please keep up your excellent bulletins - they are so useful and adding to our excitement for our upcoming trip.

Cheers, Vicky
snow report
We went hiking yesterday instead, and had a fabulous day. Went from Les Brevs and up the opposite face to an abandoned village called Nazonde. Beautiful weather, spectacular scenery and not a soul to be seen. There's more to do in the Alps than ski Smile
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, scary that the coach can get up so close to the col Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy