Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead

Well hi folks and sorry for not posting... the last couple of days have been crazy with the ankle problem. In the morning I seem to feel OK but as the day goes on feel worse and worse. I passed out twice in the night after coming back from the loo... anyway anyway without going on I was sent to A&E in Bourg and spent about 3.5 hours there - blood tests, x-rays etc - you name it. So we were late collecting Olivia last night and this was all on top of me feeling dodgy again - I managed to give her a bath but the pills meant I am feeling sick as heck; as soon as she was in bed I was too.

However this morning I seem to be feeling much better again - am I cursing myself as it is only midday!

Anyway nemesys glad you enjoyed.

Anyway snowlamb and holidayloverxx and White Fox - what about little old me - I'm feeling left out here.... hehe ! Im hoping I'm lovely too????

Clare is just back from her lesson and we now have to head back to Bourg for the results of the blood tests and all the other tests they did down there. So that will be another afternoon waiting and driving.... thanks to Clare my wife for putting up with me at the moment and driving me around too (heck I've put it out there - not that she reads the drivel I put on here!).

In local news - still no new snow but there could be a smattering tonight. The World Cup races look like they have been confirmed as going ahead too which is great news.

And that is the shortest update ever... bearing in mind that I missed a whole day out.... promise I will get myself sorted out and start posting daily again! Thanks for bearing with me folks.

Steve
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Steve Angus, of course you are lovely too! Hope your ankle gets sorted quickly
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ ^ ^ This!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steve Angus wrote:

Anyway snowlamb and holidayloverxx and White Fox - what about little old me - I'm feeling left out here.... hehe ! Im hoping I'm lovely too????

Steve

Well Steve we've never met - but I can tell from all your lovely posts that you are Laughing

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 5-12-15 1:35; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Steve Angus, hope your ankle's fully recovered very soon. Just in case you wanted any independent advice about (prescription) drugs, treatment, etc, once you have diagnosis, you could pm me. Obviously constraints from 800 miles away but new technology can facilitate I'm sure. Also we'll be in BSM from 19 December but hopefully you'll be zooming down Face de B with your 'periscope' up again by then! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Steve! Hope your ankle gets sorted asap.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well thanks everyone - I love you too!

Basically no sooner had I promised I would be back doing regular updates etc than I was thrown another curve ball. Essentially seem to feel rather crappy anytime from about later afternoon onwards. Last night was much better though.

The results of the tests.... well good in some ways - not so good in others. Went down for a supposed 2pm meeting with the doctor (they do love their pointless paperwork and admin in this country they really do).... anyway we ended up seeing someone for a ultrasound after about an hour - the lady said it was nothing internal but more a skin condition.... anyway another hour later - Clare was fuming by this stage, we finally got taken in to see the doctor. No word of a lie we waited in his room for 10 mins while he obviously was taking a coffee break next door - we could hear his chat with colleagues.... OK a man deserves a break but then when he came in he spent about 2 mins with us and in that time took 2 personal calls on his mobile phone and gestured various things like - lift leg / lower leg etc. When we got our 30 seconds uninterrupted with him he said they have no idea what it is - I'm guessing, as no one seems to tell us anything that my blood tests were OK, the X-ray was obviously clear and the ultrasound lady was not worried.... all he was ADAMANT about was that I should have my leg up high all weekend and ice it a fair bit.... Monday am I have a rendezvous to have it looked at again but unless it drains right off in the mean time.... on Monday am if it doesnt look right then I have to have it opened up and drained. If I am being cynical I think they are just saying this as they need to be seen to be doing something. There was no further talk of Gout but other words thrown around are Cellulitious etc. THE WEIRD THING IS.... that the swelling is right down and it hurts much more to be not using it and resting it up - at one point yesterday afternoon there was no pain really at all and I could more or less walk on it just fine!

So GRRRRR I am laid up rather frustrated.

I will have to make a decision this afternoon as to whether I can ski on Monday or not. Things for TDC at the start of this season are not going well as my colleage Lena dislocated her knee on a warm up day / ski around in Tignes last week. So she is out until at least Xmas! I am plenty of lessons booked in this week so we may be getting our colleague Jamie over from Meribel (he used to teach in Val so knows the area) for Monday and Tuesday but he HAS to be back to the UK on Wednesday for a family funeral - arghhhhhh!

So anyway enough it enough folks - gonna draw a line under this bit and start the objective daily write-ups and news reporting property! But thanks for your kind words folks - made me chuckle! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another mild day; a trickle of snow; plenty of World Cup activity and Spanish students

So folks we have had a tiny flurry of snow overnight in town.... things are looking better up towards the front direction as the Foehn wind pulls some moist Med air up and as it rises from the Italian direction and passes over the higher peaks etc around the Grand Paradiso NP and French / Italian border it dumps localised snow. So I should think there is (and continues to fall) a good amount of snow up the Fornet area. However about a cm here in town overnight!

Temperatures as they have been the last few days are above the seasonal norm and a few above zero. That is down here in town and it does not affect things too much as the sun is not too intense and the actual ground temps have fallen in November enough to make the snow 'stick'. However on the slopes it makes snow making a little trickier and off piste enjoyment more tricky (if not more stable at the moment - in general!). This blocking front / ridge if I'm being honest is likely to stick for a another few days so I dont think there will be any significant change in the weather coming! My suspicion is that they will be focus ALL their snow making abilities onto the Face and runs down to La Daille for the time being.... this is partly the short game - to make sure the World Cup races (Jean Baptiste Grange et al have been training on the Le Face the last couple of days) but also the longer game in that if they use all the water from the reservoirs to make snow at night etc it not only costs more to generate snow at higher temps but also could melt... if we end up having a poor season then getting a solid base is the priority and could be expensive and counterproductive now with the warmer daytime temps! Give it a week and they could re-evaluate as we move closer to the holiday season!

The main thing that seems to be happening today and yesterday after the confirmation of the World Cup is that the helicopter has been going crazy moving equipment etc etc into position on Le Face - non stop for about 2 hours this morning.

There also continues to be a steady stream of tour operators continuing their staff training whilst other staff that have had their generic training here have now all been shipped out to their respective resorts. For example the whole of Crystal seem to have been here last week and a couple of coaches took most of them away on Friday. Other tour ops that have had training elsewhere now have their staff arriving in town for those that will work in Val.

On top of that the first week of students are in town... namely Spaniards everywhere - should be Brits next week. It means it is rather noisy around the place HOWEVER I should not complain as I started as one of those students (well my real love affair with Val started then) back in the 90's!

I shall finish for todays update folks with this video (as I cant take photos that are terribly exciting at the moment!) with my colleague Giles video update from the hill filmed yesterday afternoon!

https://www.facebook.com/tdcski/videos/10153713834848607/

P.S. Forgot to mention there is the annual French fundraising shenanigans this weekend - the Telethon going on - fire trucks being pulled by hand etc - all for charity... so if you are in town this weekend then you will know what all the strange happenings are about!

TTFN
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loving the update as I read it on the coach fron Geneva (apart from the ankle of course). Will be coming down from le Fornet this afternoon for skis and to say hello to you tdc folk.

Any idea what the score is with world cup access/tickets next week?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Steve Angus, if it is cellulitious be careful - I had a cellulitious arm infection 15 yrs ago that nearly killed me! 2 weeks in hospital and several gallons of antibiotics Smile Easily treated with tablets if caught early enough. Mine wasn't due to a Dr that was lazy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
acute_angina - replied on my Periscope today on this one - https://t.co/7QgSrWItqF - but basically you cant get tickets as far as I know as a member of the public. Just watch in the finish area for free OR take the Olympic lift above the race for a great view too!

martinm - thanks for the heads up on this... I'm on strong amoxocilline stuff and pain killers and if the swelling has not gone down on monday then they will operate to drain - a small cut and drain - I'm guessing!

Anyway folks the news here today is that the snowpark opened today for the first time... 6 features were open too. It was another glorious day in town... the sun shone all day and to be fair the conditions are still good although we could do with a little fresh snow - it really is lovely on the whole though. One thing I have come to learn from my 20+ seasons teaching and being in the mountains is that you ALWAYS (well literally 99.99% of the time) want more snow.

Final thing to mention is my latest Periscope today - a little longer today covering a variety of topics. Keep firing in the questions but most importantly please share the scopes if you can - much appreciated.

https://t.co/7QgSrWItqF

I have also edited the first of my top tips that I record when I do my daily Periscope video's - this first one is regarding setting up your ski gear at the start of the season after it has been in storage for the Summer.
https://ktch.tv/4ymV?s=2m29s&e=05m41s

And this one relates to tips about the Fornet / Pissaillas sectors in terms of pistes and runs etc! On and off piste advice too. Just my opinion folks... and bearing in mind I only get one chance to record it as it goes out live - I can always try again I suppose another time.
https://ktch.tv/4FmH?s=02m18s&e=05m25s

Happy viewing!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steve Angus, Wishing you a speedy resolution of your ankle problem.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still laid up - ankle ever so slightly better - Bourg hospital tomorrow again

Today periscope can be found here.

https://t.co/lgkkiFKhS8

A REMINDER THAT THE PERISCOPE LINK ONLY STAYS LIVE FOR 24 HOURS - after that time a service from https://katch.me/SteveAngusSnow allows you to watch all the updates for eternity! Of course SteveAngusSnow is also my Twitter handle too.

Anyway today has been a rather long day - getting a little bored, tired and frustrated waiting for this ankle to get better but Bourg hospital tomorrow am should sort me right out I hope!

The weather is 'same as, same as' and there was no fresh snowfall at the Fornet end of town at all (as far as I know). So the pistes remain in good condition and there is about 41 lifts and 79 runs open - which when you think that is most of the major lift and the little lifts in the nursery areas still closed bodes well for those coming skiing soon!

There was a death overnight of long term resident Jacques Machet which was sad news to wake up to. However the Telethon in town raised over €3700 for charity which was excellent.

In other local news the 1st round of the regional French elections took place. The Front National across France are expected to put in a good showing and there was a turnout of nearly 35% (I was not one of them!) of voters in town!

Finally for ski racing enthusiasts Val d'Isere own Victor Muffat Jeandet is in 4th place after the 1st round of the Mens GS over in Beaver Creek and the second run gets underway in less than an hour. So very exciting news all round and good luck to him. Tune in should be some great racing!

Think that is all for now folks. If there is no update tomorrow it is because I am stuck in Bourg hospital for the night! Eeeek - hope not!

Thanks to a colleague Terry Walker who went on a hike over in Tignes today with the Grapillon off piste route as their target - photo courtesy of Ben Proudlove! Snow was 'not too bad' but the hike was 'energetic.'

TTFN
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

there is about 41 lifts and 79 runs open -

Is that the current record for the Alps as a whole?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey all, does anyone know if it's possible to ski between val and tignes at the mo is the link open. Out next week and hoping to get the full E K pass.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey all, does anyone know if it's possible to ski between val and tignes at the mo is the link open. Out next week and hoping to get the full E K pass.
snow report
jakemanc wrote:

Links are open. I skied from Tignes to Fornet & back today.
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, Hope all goes well tomorrow.

We've been in Barbados for the past 5 days but still watching and enjoying your periscope updates, all be it with a rum punch Wink
Only 9 days until we are back out in Val d'Isere.
snow report
@muppet, sounds like a very tough life you have!!!

Fingers crossed for the ankle Steve, the video updates are great Very Happy
ski holidays
Hope it goes well tomorrow. Loving the periscope updates but I keep missing watching them live so can't ask any questions. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, I hope the hospital trip goes well today and, like @holidayloverxx and @snowlamb, agree that you're lovely but in a, erm, blokeish way. I'm also enjoying and appreciating the periscopes although also not live. Do you mind doing a snow dance for the coming weekend when the ankle is sorted, hopefully today.
latest report
Skied a clinic with Joe of tdc this morning and had a great session. Claire stopped to chat with him on the way down Solaise.
@Steve Angus, best of luck and hope they identify the source of the infection so you can get back to what you enjoy. In Val for a couple of weeks.
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, hope you're feeling better and a bit closer to a diagnosis; I'm arriving in Tignes on Saturday, so am grateful for your updates here Very Happy
ski holidays
Well super massive thanks folks. Support much appreciated. Super quick update this eve - mainly as I'm using iPhone and it's fiddly.

So the news is the ankle bone is infected. Have been down here all day in Bourg and just come out of surgery. So no news yet a while. However as I'm feeling ok thought I would update ASAP. Will let you know outcome tomorrow I guess.

TTFN

PS Did a periscope so catch me on Twitter (@SteveAngusSnow) for the link or on Katch.me with my handle.
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, oh, nasty. hope they got it all cleared out and can bomb it with antibiotics. I wonder what caused it?
latest report
@Steve Angus, hope this heals soon.

ouch.
snow report
@Steve Angus, best wishes for a speedy recovery Steve.
ski holidays
Yes,, get well soon. I hope it isn't as nasty as it sounds
snow report
@Steve Angus, oh no! Hope you're fighting fit again very soon. At least you know what it is now..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to hear that Steve sounds real nasty. Get Well Soon.
snow report
As always everyone thanks for the wishes. Well I'm home.... Released mid afternoon. Ankle was HELLISH when anaesthetic wore off circa 10pm but nurses gave me a couple pain killers that both knocked me out and I'm the am felt pretty good. Changing the dressing (as its open still) was sore though (have a photo I might share tomorrow on Periscope for those who aren't squirmish). Anyway pile of drugs etc and I'm ready to go. Should be a while till can ski again but promise I'll do updates on here and Twitter and Periscope as best I can.

Only real news around here is the second place for the local boy in the GS in the USA yesterday and the possibility of a little snow tomorrow.

Otherwise back to proper updates tomorrow.

TTFN
snow conditions
Oh jesus that sounds awful, any idea what caused it? I really hope you get well soon Steve.
snow report
To add to the old wrecks currently in Val. Knee stopped play. Too swollen to continue. Joint is stable is just an extreme flare up of an old injury or injuries. Exercises, icing and compression for me for a few days. Maybe be some skiing at weekend.
5 day morning ski clinic organised this week with tdc. Managed Monday but that is going to be it. Very disappointing.
Sad
snow conditions
Mark1863 - ah now not another falling of the radar!!!!!! Really hope that sorts itself out soon. Nothing like an old injury coming back and haunting you - so frustrating! Get well soon.
snow conditions
Back in town

Yes folks back home, had a good night and settled back into family life today. Ankle seems fine. No sorry Minion1980 - they have no idea what caused it!!!!!

So after a few days without much happy news I thought id start with some pics:

A snowy Val d'Isere today

Val d'Isere by night last night when I got back from the hospital!

Bourg in the early morning light!

...AND FINAL PHOTO from a friend JP who went for a skin and a ski today - see there is some lovely snow up high - here in the Pay Dessert and when the clouds parted for a short while today!

The good news is that it has snowed on an off all day - not hard it has to be admitted but there was something in the air and then on the ground first thing (about 3-4cm) and another little flutter later in the day!

The locals are already up in arms with the British seasonnaires - one was outside in Les Richardes area of town all last night (Monday night) and almost froze to death - but all was well in the end. This is before the annual tour operator / town councillors get together when they discuss things like this and reiterate the dangers of being in the mountains at this time of the year!

The number of skier visits in Val d'Isere for the first week of the season this year was up 30% on the opening week of last year - just shows (naturally) how good snow attracts people!

So I was at home all day part from heading to Medival to get my bandaging changed for my ankle - it is rather painful (but necessary) it has to be said! If you really want to see my injury - best way of describing it is as a third 'eye' on my ankle where they have cut right into the ankle and all the way to the bone, then you can watch todays Periscope ALL THE WAY TO THE END - dont worry I give loads of warning I am about to show the picture off it so you can tune out before you get there!

Anyway the link to todays Periscope is below - not the most exciting updates at the moment until I am back on the hill - which will hopefully be in the next week to ten days - depends really on how quickly the wound heals! However I will aim to show some interesting Periscopes whilst I am 'off' the hill so to speak.

Todays Scope: https://t.co/4s3w6bSJ5M

Think that is all for now folks.

TTFN
snow conditions
Just watched this on Periscope whilst eating lunch. Damn why didn't I look away when you warned people to. I just threw up a little in my mouth!
snow report
cyberil - oh dear!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays

A WONDERFUL sunrise at the top of the Bellevarde - courtesy of the Val d'Isere webcams!...

.... at the other end of the day the happy homes all warm and cosy (get your blooming curtains closed asap to keep the heat in) as the sun sets!

So today seems to have flown by. The usual ankle bandage change in the morning and then I went to Kim's (the owner of Simply Val d'Isere the travel agent for Val).... anyway she has a couple of odd jobs she asked me to do. I also did some grocery shopping that needed doing. Caught up on some bits and bobs at home and before I knew it it was Periscope time and collect Olivia time!

In local news the Tignes funicular does now seem to be out of action for the next wee while as they do some work on it - as it had a few problems the other day and has had to be put out of order whilst they investigate. I have to say it always seem to be that part of the Tignes lift system that has issues! The cable car one year / t-bars the next and now this! Anyway hopefully that will be up and running again soon!

A big thanks to Adam Hemms the owner of Europe Transfer who took our van down to Bourg this evening to get a quote for the repair (the current repair quote company we have heard bad things about so are looking to get a quote from another company). Anyway he needed a way of getting down there as he had a van to collect that had been damaged previously so it suited everyone perfectly! Cheers Adam.

I have also my latest ski tips link taken from my daily Periscope video blogs I do.... this relates to my tips re runs etc in the Solaise area of the Espace Killy.... happy viewing

https://ktch.tv/4Pcp?s=02m42s&e=09m24s

The long range weather forecast is calling for the possibility of some snow later in the weekend or early next week but the simple fact of the matter is that as high pressure system persists over mainland Europe the jet stream is bringing front (of rain) after front of rain to the (north) UK! If that was being allowed to come further south we would probably be up to our necks in it by now!

Todays Periscope I answer some readers questions - keep them coming in - via Twitter (@SteveAngusSnow), on Periscope (follow me by downloading the app on your phone and searching for me by name or of course you can ask questions on here (PM is fine too) and I shall gladly reply!

https://t.co/JT3q4wVToD - remember the videos are only live for 24 hours - that's how Periscope works - not my rules!
snow conditions
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

The long range weather forecast is calling for the possibility of some snow later in the weekend or early next week but the simple fact of the matter is that as high pressure system persists over mainland Europe the jet stream is bringing front (of rain) after front of rain to the (north) UK! If that was being allowed to come further south we would probably be up to our necks in it by now!

I wish it was further south too! I'm a native Cumbrian though exiled at present, and heading out to Tignes next month so really wish you were getting the lows and we were getting the highs!
snow conditions

Answers on a postcard please - what the HELL happened here.

All I know is that there was some sort of an 'accident' down at the roundabout in La Daille (one by the Funicular) - no one hurt but this was the aftermath this morning!

Friday feeling

Well it was a strange day for me.... Didn't get my bandage swapped on my ankle until 10am as they were busy before that doing a voluntary blood donor collection morning. Anyway as soon as I finished that I was off to Kim's to finish the odd jobs she wanted doing.

A quick lunch stop at home before meeting my friend Trevor whom I did my 'car' season with some 15 years ago here. Cant believe how time flies. Anyway after a coffee at Chevallot I had to see Paul Niwano at 4Property to thrash out an invoice outstanding. Then it was time to collect Olivia. No sooner had I done that but I was thinking of heading into town to see some of the bib allocation for the Mean WC GS tomorrow.... have not been for a couple of years now so it was exciting seeing it happening live. In fact I did my Periscope from it... check it out here.... https://t.co/NuZnSAGXKJ - a little longer than normal.

Ill give the reminder once again (for those that dont read this daily) - this season I will be happy to give free feedback on your skiing and snowboarding (if you want it). Even if you are not in Val d'Isere or Tignes! All you have to do is record it - on Periscope is a cool way of doing it - tagging me on Twitter as you do it - so it shows up on my feed (@SteveAngusSnow) and then I will give feedback - probably doing a private post back to you as that is probably the best way of doing it!

Thanks to the top ranked Tina Maze for this photo - she is commentating for Eurosport Europe this weekend here in Val! The Face sure does look ready!

Everything is set for the Mens race tomorrow and I shall do a live broadcast during the first run (it starts at 9.30 local time) tomorrow morning for those that have downloaded the Periscope app onto their smartphone and are following me on there - it will pop up as soon as I start broadcasting!

In other news the promised snowfall looks like it has failed to develop and I still dont think there is any fresh snowfall forecast - boo!

Finally my colleague (James Stewart-Hunter)over in Tignes has had the pleasure of teaching British Snowboarding Olympian and Bronze medalist Jenny Jones how to improve her skiing as she works towards her 'second discipline' of her BASI examination qualifications... check it out.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153725906888607

Tomorrow we have the TDC launch day for the season which is an 'in-house' day where we chat about policy and standards, promotions etc etc etc for the coming season. I obviously cannot take part in the skiing part of things on the hill (Clare will be doing the morning when all that will happen). Lots of stuff will be chatted about so it should be a good opportunity for everyone to get together and chat about the upcoming season!

Take care folks - if you are travelling tomorrow then the roads and airports should be just fine!
ski holidays
Super updates Steve - keep "up" the periscopes.

Totally agree about the self-service up on solaise - a fantastic place. My favourite run there is Combe Matin (Martin?) back into town but perhaps it's not to everyone's taste
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy