Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@White Fox, sorry if I doubted you, but Paquerettes sounded overly ambitious IMO. I think Leisse is a reasonable black run to start with. Perhaps after a thigh warmer down the exceptionally enjoyable long red, Double M. Both in broadly the same area above Val Claret, accessed from the top of the Funiculaire Grande Motte or chairlifts that run to the same peak.
Other blacks I do in decent conditions are Sache and Silene, from Aiguille Percee down towards Les Brevieres. Also Epaule de Charvet towards Val D. I'm a wimp, so they can't be too bad, but I enjoy doing a red well, rather than struggling down a black. Many great red runs in EK, with Double M, Arcelle and OK amongst my faves. They'd be graded black in 80% of resorts in the Alps I'd say.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lots of vids of the epic snowfall please. So great to have the blog back.

@White Fox, I echo everyone else. Most of the blacks in the EK are BLACK. There are many I've never tried, and a few I wouldn't do again. The ones I would start off with are the two on the Tignes glacier (Leisse and Descent), Trolles into Le Lac and Rhone-Aps in Val. Please do be careful!! For many of them, once you start, you're committed...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 18-11-15 23:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Steve Angus, Good to see the updates back.
Promise we are not stalkers but ... Debbie at Mountain Rooms has just managed to sort out a short break pre Christmas for us kindly accommodating unusual dates and we are back in resort staying at the Aquila March/April.
If you want anything brought out to resort let me know ( 55' TV's are pushing it !! )
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@HoneyBunny,
Quote:

and a few I wouldn't do again.

Can I ask which ones and why you wouldn't do them again?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Silene in Tignes, when I did it the moguls were freaking ENORMOUS! It was exhausting, and I'm just not good enough to tackle them comfortably. I didn't enjoy Campanules either, it was a lot steeper than it looked from the lift and the moguls were really icy. I love Face, Sache, Rhone Alps, Leisse, Descent and Trolles, and they are the blacks I will happily ski (basically the easiest ones!!). There are loads I haven't tried because I'm a big wuss Embarassed . I might give Epaule du Charvet a go sometime, and maybe Guerlain Chicherit and the one near it. The ones I will definitely never do are Piste S, Grizzly and Paquerettes.

I prefer to ski runs rather than survive them, I need a lesson with Steve lol!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@swiftoid, I'd add Foret at La Fornet as a black I may not do again. I remember wondering why I was the only one doing it on a sunny day. After exhausting myself down steep big moguls I had the 'pleasure' of tight turns through menacing looking rocks. Maybe I took a wrong turn? Definitely my bête noire in EK.
Good list of blacks from HoneyBunny. Conditions and time of day critical, eg Face de Bellevarde great late morning with decent snow, nightmare late afternoon if cover thin and hard.

To end on a positive, I'd add that piste accessed from Cugnai chairlift as a brilliant run, I think it's a challenging red but not sure.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also hoping for a video of a massive dumping of snow.

Thanks @intermediate, @HoneyBunny, from what I've seen on videos and other comments that was the way I was thinking. I will be responsible - I guess what I meant by me being confident is that once I start a run I won't just melt down and stand around blocking it and don't mind a bit of steep if that's the only reason it's black. I will see how I progress technically through the week and only try runs that look within my capabilities and depending on conditions.

Arcelle, Cugnai and OK all look good to try before moving up and I had indeed lined up Leisse, Descente, Rhone Alpes, Face, Trolles and (if there's fresh-ish snow) Sache as potential starter blacks. I am conscious though that the only blacks I've done before were in Livigno and although I coped with the gradient and moguls I figured the ones I've been looking at in EK are likely a lot blacker.

Guerlain Chicherit and Pramecou look like a step up from those then Aiguille Percee and, if I'm coping with them Silene, Piste S, Foret and Epaule du Charvet with Grizzly and Paquerettes as the worst looking.

I'd be interested to hear views on Golf, Epilobe, Oeillet, Raye, Aster and Envers de Campanules as I haven't been able to scope them out.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 19-11-15 17:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@White Fox, 3 weeks skiing and no skiing for 14 years? Blacks in EK? Good Luck. You are going to need it!

In all seriousness I'd make sure you find your feet with some EK blues before anything else. Even some of these are a serious challenge. Santons at the end of the day for example! Criterium back to La Daille.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@FastCarver74, it's how I roll. I went with school once to some tiny resort in Italy (Kurzras) and then 11 years later when I next went my mate said the ladies are going in ski school and you're coming with me. After a blast down a nursery slope to make sure I could still point in the right direction he took me off round blues and reds. A similar thing is happening this time with both the guys I'm going with being fairly experienced. As I say, although I like a challenge, I wouldn't try anything without being extremely sure I was proficient enough to do it - hence I've been checking out the runs very carefully.

I will report back in just over 4 weeks. I'm bursting with excitement and EK looks amazing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
White Fox wrote:
@FastCarver74, it's how I roll. I went with school once to some tiny resort in Italy (Kurzras) and then 11 years later when I next went my mate said the ladies are going in ski school and you're coming with me. After a blast down a nursery slope to make sure I could still point in the right direction he took me off round blues and reds. A similar thing is happening this time with both the guys I'm going with being fairly experienced. As I say, although I like a challenge, I wouldn't try anything without being extremely sure I was proficient enough to do it - hence I've been checking out the runs very carefully.

I will report back in just over 4 weeks. I'm bursting with excitement and EK looks amazing.

Am I the only person on here who thinks that this is going to end in disaster ?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@White Fox - despite how proficient you may think you are, a fall on a steep black is may well result in a high speed slide during which you will likely lose you skis and poles and wont stop again until it levels out or some obstruction stops you. Best case your ego may be bruised and some kind person will bring your lost kit down to you. Worst case your skis and poles are wrenched off at speed resulting in injury or you crack your head on the way down (wear a helmet) and/or you take out some innocent bystander on the way and/or you go over the edge of something and/or hit something immovable like a rock, tree or pylon.

For the safety of yourself and others around you, please stick to pistes and speeds matching your abilities.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@melandnick,
Quote:

For the safety of yourself and others around you, please stick to pistes and speeds matching your abilities.

I am sounding blase but honestly I will which is why I was asking about the relative difficulty levels of the blacks. You've all been very helpful but now I feel like I'm hijacking the blog Embarassed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@White Fox, Couple of things for you... firstly all pistes are (more or less) the same colour -- white ! Secondly any piste can change from very easy to impossible depending on the conditions. Leisse for example can be really mellow just after pisteing on a sunny windless day --- however it can also be a icy horror show after the wind has taken the snow away ! Given when you are travelling you'd be much better advised to look for good snow -- regardless of piste colour. Enjoy your trip -- I'll be there at the same time Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @ski, that's good advice as I'm much less sure that I'd be able to cope with steep and very icy at the same time so will make sure I keep a close eye on the conditions.

Have a great trip too!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@White Fox, have a great trip. Main thing I've learnt from 40+ weeks skiing EK is to respect those mountains, all day every day. Oh and I always add Carre Neige insurance cover to my ski pass, about 17 Euros per week supplement. Look forward to hearing how it goes. Mr. Green
snow conditions
White Fox wrote:
I will see how I progress technically through the week and only try runs that look within my capabilities and depending on conditions.

Arcelle, Cugnai and OK all look good to try before moving up and I had indeed lined up Leisse, Descente, Rhone Alpes, Face, Trolles and (if there's fresh-ish snow) Sache as potential starter blacks. I am conscious though that the only blacks I've done before were in Livigno and although I coped with the gradient and moguls I figured the ones I've been looking at in EK are likely a lot blacker.

Guerlain Chicherit and Pramecou look like a step up from those then Aiguille Percee and, if I'm coping with them Silene, Piste S, Foret and Epaule du Campanule with Grizzly and Paquerettes as the worst looking.

I'd be interested to hear views on Golf, Epilobe, Oeillet, Raye, Aster and Envers de Campanules as I haven't been able to scope them out.

With respect, I really wouldn't even contemplate the likes of Piste S, Grizzly and Paquerettes with just three weeks of skiing under your belt, you really would be putting yourself and others at serious risk. They are blacks for advanced skiers only. They are extremely steep and never pisted with huge moguls. Piste S is also very narrow, I think Foret is quite narrow as well. Even Epaule du Charvet is quite daunting. If you ski Arcelle (a wonderful red), you can get a good look at the face of Epaule, which is on the hill diagonally opposite.

Campanules is steeper than it looks and the moguls are very icy. It looks benign from the chairlift, but it's not! Raye down to La Daille no longer exists (I think?), it's a red now with a steep corner, but it's not difficult.

I realise we're hijacking Steve's blog (sorry Steve!) so may I suggest we carry on the discussion here? If you want to!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2118425&highlight=black+runs+val+disere#2118425
snow conditions
Yes, sorry Steve.

Done @HoneyBunny.
snow conditions
Don't worry folks about 'hijacking' the thread.... it is all good chat about skiing and Val in particular and that is good in my book. In fact if I'm being honest having a read through that other thread re blacks in the EK I really should read about the forum more and contribute in other places..... I just never seem to have the time and TODAY IS NOT THE DAY FOR IT

The less said about today that better..... so it started OK and I posted the video.... think I could get the hang off this Periscope lark but I need to pause when swapping the camera around otherwise you lose a word or two which makes it sounds weird!

https://t.co/gq7UcTFhmM

However about 30 mins after this it went badly wrong.... so driving along near the creche (of all places) (bearing in mind I am in a UK RH drive car and French cars are LH drive) and suddenly I hear this crunch and it transpires that the passenger of a parked car has opened her car door JUST as I am passing.... it strikes just before the front mirror and the combination of scratching and scrapping and denting goes down 4 panels along the full length of the car.... pretty much ever part of the car on the passenger side has some damage to it. I was doing about 15 mph but in the second it took to realise what was going on and stop the whole car got damaged. Her car - well the BF was driving.... the door would not shut and window was falling away. It also transpires that the couple are the parents of a child in Olivia's creche class whom I see pretty much daily. The paperwork was exchanged calmly but it took AGES to sort. Calls to the UK insurance company etc followed so I did not actually get any work done for Mountain Rooms until about 11am!

By lunchtime I had had a call saying that the way the insurance company want to deal with it is for me to make a trip to the nearest repair Garage (Bourg) to get a quote for repair.... so bang goes about 3 hours this pm getting down there, waiting and then getting the quote (which was some €4k btw!).

So just hoping there is no insurance funny business... just a plain and simple 3rd party pay out - they were stationery parked up and passenger door opened striking into side of my car - pretty simply to me but I know they like to try and get their way out of things!

Anyway apart from that and about 2 hours varnishing a window frame and resealing a bath and fixing a loo seat there is nothing else to report.... in fact the vblog is the best part of the day!

Sorry for being a bit down this evening and not full of anything interesting but I am turning in early this evening. Tomorrow is a new day.

TTFN
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, How frustrating! Mad I really hope the insurance company plays fair and sorts things out quickly for you.
ski holidays
+1
snow report
+2 what a pain Sad
ski holidays
Hi Steve, we're spending a week in Tignes les Brevieres 12th - 19th December and I'm looking for a private snowboard instructor for my 18 year old son (who has done a little bit of snowboarding before, but definitely a beginner). Ideally would like him to have private instruction all day Sunday 13th December and morning of Monday 14th December, then we'd take it from there - any recommendations would be gratefully received! Many thanks
snow conditions
Quote:

private instruction all day Sunday 13th December

he'll be knackered....
latest report
@pam w, +1.

@Joanna1304, a 2-3 hour AM lesson so that he can practice at his own pace on the nursery slopes in the PM would be much more beneficial (but I'm no @Steve Angus ...).

Learning to board can be physically taxing in the first week : falls, up and down constantly etc. What I would also recommend is a few gym sessions (if he is so inclined) beforehand where he works on his leg strength but, more importantly, his core muscles.
ski holidays
@Joanna1304, Steve is also a snowboard instructor. . Modesty will prevent him from recommending himself
snow report
Joanna1304 wrote:
Hi Steve, we're spending a week in Tignes les Brevieres 12th - 19th December and I'm looking for a private snowboard instructor for my 18 year old son (who has done a little bit of snowboarding before, but definitely a beginner). Ideally would like him to have private instruction all day Sunday 13th December and morning of Monday 14th December, then we'd take it from there - any recommendations would be gratefully received! Many thanks

We used one of Steve's colleagues from the Tignes office of TDC, Rab Bickerstaff, for our 15 year old son last year - very similar experience level to your son - Charlie had 2 x 3 hour private lessons and the progress was phenomenal. Rab's a great guy and was very quickly able to get on Charlie'd wave length, think they had a blast.
latest report
Unlucky on the motor, Steve!

Quote:

Quote:

private instruction all day Sunday 13th December

he'll be knackered....

I suspect that's the idea.
snow conditions
Definitely the idea! He's wanting to get up to speed quickly so that he can snowboard with his older brother who spent last season washing up and boarding in Tignes les Brevieres... Thanks for the recommendation for Rab, I'll get in touch with TDC - expect you're already booked for those dates Steve? Would love to hear from you if not. Forgot to say in my haste to post this morning that I really enjoyed reading your blog last season, gave me a bit of an insight into what was going on in Tignes and helped me cope with the radio silence from my seasonnaire son! Many thanks all for your help.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Joanna1304 - indeed he will be tired but I understand what you are saying about getting him up and running... thanks for the recommendation holidayloverxx but I am already busy on both the Sunday and Monday I am afraid. Best thing is to continue with your enquiries with TDC and if Rab can do the sessions then that sounds great... I am sure one of the team in Tignes can help out. Good luck and have fun! Glad you enjoy the 'blog'..... talking of which....
latest report
Friday 20th November - posting late!!!!

Sorry folks had a very long catch up day painting the stair well in Aquila etc yesterday so started very early and finished very late and totally forgot to get around to posting yesterdays report.

So basically it was a grey and miserable day in town and snowing high up.... it was raining and then sleeting for much of the day down in town... however by the evening it had turned to snow down in town..... here is my periscope video of yesterday.... FYI the videos on Periscope only stay 'live' for 24 hours.... I will from time to time in the season do videos including ski / snowboard tips and put them on YouTube to last a lifetime but these daily updates only stay live for a day which means there is until mid morning today (UK time) to see yesterdays report. Whilst you are at it you could peek a look at this mornings video I did to.... both links below. However the overwhelming message is GREAT news - SNOW and lots of it and it continues unabated!

https://t.co/xc3PpFC5x4
https://t.co/zS9jMVZWTn

Also a great photo taken from the top of the Bellevarde - YESTERDAY MORNING - there will be loads more snow up there by now!

Todays update later on this evening...
snow report
@Steve Angus, thanks for that photo. You've made many snowHeads happy with that!
Maybe one of Olivia playing in that fresh powder next? No pressure.
snow report
@Steve Angus : let me be the first to say how much I am enjoying your periscope videos - absolutely brilliant. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. Heading out for 3 weeks Jan 9th - 30th - nice to see the snow. Will hopefully have chance to book another lesson with you!
snow conditions
What a contrast to last year. Roll on Friday
latest report
Loving the video updates. really helps feel closer to the mountains. If a picture tells a 1000 words, what does a video tell. Great work.....
ski holidays
I have downloaded persicope just for these updates. Not got the hang of the app yet, but I think you can do a live video that we can chat to you whilst you talk. I think that is possible????????????????
ski holidays
intermediate - good!!!!!! Olivia in the fresh powder snow... well to be honest Clare and I have decided not to put pics up of her since this is a public forum (forever) - I posted a couple before but in general (unless I forget) I am afraid there won't be pics of her. However I will say that today was the first time she walked in snow and it was also the first time she put on her new snow suit and other Winter paraphernalia like proper gloves etc. She was NOT impressed with the faff factor.... she better get used to it!

Vasta - glad you enjoy them... yup would be good to have a slide in January when your out!

holidayloverxx - Indeed a difference - however we did have about a foot or two of snow down to the town in mid November last year but it had all melted away by the time you came out for opening weekend - dont think the same danger exists this year. This year you are staying at the Nanouk - yea! They are just finishing some major work on the place - have put a dormer in upstairs and all sorts - I was chatting with Naomi the other day and she was saying it will make the place so much better / different.

smagsmith - again thanks... shall be doing at least one a day.... Periscope is pretty cool. So if anyone has not got it - get it - its like DIY personal broadcasting to the world - well you (the viewer) has to select to watch it when I am live OR chose to watch it later via the link.

....on that point
Quote:
"you can do a live video that we can chat to you whilst you talk. I think that is possible????????????????"
.... indeed if you are watching / joined the broadcast live you can 'like' it via giving hearts (a little weird I know) BUT, and it is a MAJOR BUT, you can also ask questions. So I can be chatting away and you can ask a question, who will be the first, and I will be able to answer them as they pop up on my phone screen. The only thing I want to avoid is the broadcasts getting far too long winded and diluted... a couple of mins / perhaps 2.30 at a push. I suppose I could always do a special dedicated one off broadcast. Anyway I think you can also give like 'hearts' when watching the videos back later.... but remember the videos on Periscope only remain live for 24 hours!. So i'll make sure from time to time I do updates / tips videos on YouTube so they stay forever!

Whilst we are talking about social media.... if you are not following me then a quick plug that my Twitter is @SteveAngusSnow - I'm not the most prolific experienced Twitter user but I'm getting there.

Anyway back to todays update.

So yes apart from the video.... here is the link again (https://t.co/zS9jMVZWTn) the photo above sums the day up.

I headed out (Clare is doing her 1st aid certificate this weekend so I'm on Olivia duty) for a walk this morning... it took a while getting all the layers on Olivia but she enjoyed being in the snow.... from time to time it was blowing a hoolie but she did well. We tried to get to Rize but it was not open yet - darn it.... so carried on walking / pulling her along in the sledge for a trip around in the snow. The snow was deep and she quite liked the excitement of the lumps and bumps in the snow. Although she did get a little cold so we headed home. The rest of the day was spent trying to find activities to entertain indoors as the wind got up and the temps dropped outside. As I type the temps are -10 and we have had at least 30cm of snow here in town.... and it continues!

We ordered a takeaway pizza and are settling into a night of Strightly. Not much else to report this evening apart from the forecast that this snow will continue on and off for several days by the looks of things!

TTFN
snow report
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

Olivia in the fresh powder snow... well to be honest Clare and I have decided not to put pics up of her since this is a public forum (forever)

Fully understand Steve. Will wait to see Olivia doing freestyle stunts on Ski Sunday in due course then. But will it be skiing, boarding, or a completely new discipline by then, eg a mid air tweet or Visagelivre posting, before landing a flailing 360?
snow report
@Steve Angus, Is the blue sculpture at the top Bellevarde next to the piste map one that you transported to resort earlier this month?

As someone that avoids and is very wary about posting info on social media about the family I think your decision is for the best.
snow report
Just watched the latest video live. Steve was walking through the streets. Looks like lots of snow
snow report
If it no too data hungry on Steves mobile we could do an anika rice style treasure hunt and ask him to go to certain places live whilst he is videoing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy