Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
You seem to have coped brilliantly with your first winter in the mountains with Olivia. Have a good summer. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks again everyone - Sperks - Australia - wow the word spreads far and wide!

Anyway today has been a bit of a blur - totally engrossed with my accounts - boring! I find working late at night the most useful way to get it done - less distractions then!

So I will post another video from Periscope again. I am hoping that through it and Twitter that I will be able to do (and broadcast (and people can find out immediately its happening through following me on Twitter) daily reports from the mountain and top tips as I say. Essentially the way it can work is that as soon as I am about to go 'on air' the 'followers' will get immediate notification so it will all be in real time and those who cannot watch there and then have 24 hours to tune in. I will continue OF COURSE to do daily updates and photos on here and ALL THAT but the Periscope and Twitter options are a new thing I am going to add onto the side.

Perhaps 'following' me on Twitter will be a start - who knows. My Twitter name / handle at the bottom (SteveAngusSnow).

https://t.co/3kFxM4K0sU

Anyway away from the blatant advertising

It started nice but the weather soon deteriorated today...

to...

Olivia was better so she was back at creche and Clare was out working so I cracked on with the accounts. This afternoon was much of the same.... and this evening! The only bit of local news is that after the rockfall near Moutiers the other week the SNCF have today just finally announced that trains will be able to start coming through from the 30th April once again - such was the damage to the track!

Tomorrow is more of the same accounts wise!

Sorry rather boring updates for a few days now!

Tomorrow is the LAST of the daily updates for this season... but as reported earlier I will be doing monthly ones over the Summer!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve Angus wrote:
Anyway I decided to take one last ride on the Solaise Express for old times sake as that will be the last time I ride it as it is due to be dismantled this Summer as the new gondola goes in.

I thought Solaise Express looked quite new but having looked elsewhere I can see it was completed in 1991. However, that isn't very old and it always seemed quite fast. Are they reusing it elsewhere or has it been sold on?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Thanks to Radio Val d'Isere for this photo form up the Val glacier.

The Finale

https://t.co/NLhLzQy8rm - another little video from this morning - in this one I talk about some new properties that have been built in Val and some of the reasons why there are not many more places to build in town!

Anyway today has not been very exciting but this is the last daily post this season so id better talk about something.... ahh yes the weather.... it was grey and damp - just like a mid winters day in the UK - around about 4-8 degrees most of the time - but just dull and drizzle all day long. Sometimes it was quite heavy rain and other times it stopped but it was never going to be a day for sunbathing that is for sure!

I had the flat to myself as Olivia was at creche and Clare had the last day of her clinic.... sounds like she had a lovely week with the 2 ladies and 1 guy..... they all had lunch together and they even got her a little present too - so when she got home about 2pm she was a happy bunny!

I ploughed my way through my accounts all day - it takes SO BLOOMING LONG but I know when it is done (each year) then that really is the end of the end and the start of Summer for real - bring it on!

I decided even in the rain to head out for a walk this evening as my head was hurting and it was still raining but whilst it was actually snowing up high most of the day - should be good when the sun comes out... lower down here it was not very pleasant and in between a huge bank of thick cloud!

So tomorrow I head to Val Thorens for the EoSB and then when I get back here later in the week it will be tieing up the last few things of the season and then Clare and then Olivia birthdays before heading home. I thought I would leave you for this season with this wonderful video I cam across today... inspirational and perhaps this time in a year I will be taking Olivia out for her first slide on a pair of skis.... we shall see!

http://www.zapiks.fr/auguste-3-ans-saison-2-.html

TTFN

P.S. Come on England (cricketers) and well done Jimmy Anderson on taking Sir Ian's record... I have seen you play plenty of times and watched thousands of your overs on TV - probably the best bowler I have seen for England ever.... the stats now prove that.

P.P.S. Gaza - I would have thought it will be sold to someone to use in another resort somewhere else in the world - half the lifts that are 'old' by European standards go to Australia, NZ, Japan, African resorts - those sorts of places even though they may only be 20 years old - yes 1991 means the lift is only middle aged!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

this wonderful video I cam across today... inspirational and perhaps this time in a year I will be taking Olivia out for her first slide on a pair of skis.... we shall see!

http://www.zapiks.fr/auguste-3-ans-saison-2-.html
Fabulous!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That little kid is amazing!! LOVED the bit where he was helping his little sister. Hate the little sod for being better than me already, but wow, he will probably be a future world champion.

Did like the falls compilation at the end!

Steve - Olivia will be just as good, lucky girl!

Oh and thanks for another season of my favourite blog from my favourite resort. Have an amazing summer and enjoy the EOSB!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Angus wrote:

P.P.S. Gaza - I would have thought it will be sold to someone to use in another resort somewhere else in the world - half the lifts that are 'old' by European standards go to Australia, NZ, Japan, African resorts - those sorts of places even though they may only be 20 years old - yes 1991 means the lift is only middle aged!

Any idea why Espace Killy don't have chairs with covers, recently in Soelden all chairs had the weather shields.. seems to be common in France to be on lifts without them?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Espace Killy employs Rule 5 Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HoneyBunny wrote:
Espace Killy employs Rule 5 Wink

Not from the people i saw HoneyBunny Wink The people is one of the main reasons to avoid it! Skiing superb, too many English louts!! snowHead excepted of course Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Belated thanks to Steve for another great season of snowHeads posts and brilliant photos. The first year for over a decade since I didn't get to the Espace Killy. 3V was a good 2nd best but doesn't quite cut it for me. Hoping to return to EK next season. Enjoy your summer everyone.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
April 24. Today we went to Val d'Isere. The bad weather did not arrive and we had blue sky all day!

Set off early and were in Val when the lifts opened. Parked at Fornet and headed straight to the Solaise Chair. Up top on Madeleine Chair for a warm up and to see what the snow was like then as it was already becoming soft where the sun had reached the slopes we went to the Cugnai valley.

The start was refrozen crud, but it quickly became soft as we went lower and into the sunny side. Down through the valley to the refuge. No coffee ready so continued to the Manchet Chair.

Time to head for the Col Pers. After a fast ski across the pistes we reached the Col on the skiers right of the Glacier.

Met an ESF group just heading off piste on the same route as us. 12 clients, almost no back packs and not any sign of avalanche gear. Considering all the trouble caused by the ESF this winter re. Ski Hosts etc. They really do not set much of an example. I thought it was now illegal for ESF Instrutors to take people off piste without the correct safety equipment. I wonder what would have happened to the Instructor if there had been a problem.

We quickly passed this group and headed down the skiers left of the Col Pers route to stay in the spring snow. A most enjoyable ski with spring snow top to bottom. Thanks Alan (IS Guide) if you are reading for the advice about timing for starting this route. You were spot on!

After a fun ski down (I did not like the skate out at the bottom much) it was back up the Fornet Cable car and this time the Grand Vallon route. More spring snow and good conditions in the steeper section all the way to the bottom.

Time for lunch! After a nice lunch back up top and a forth tour. This time on the Glacier de Pissaillas down to the tow and chair. More spring snow although getting a little soft.

Finally a long ski down the left side of the valley to the top of the Fornet Cable car. One more route to go. Far right of the blue and red piste down some steeper gullys to the valley below and time for beer.

Take a look at the photos for today in the Espace Killy 2015 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone know are the Tignes lifts running until May 10th?
If so, does that mean up from Brev?
Can ya still ski down to Brev?
Cheers
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That would be very unlikely @franzClammer, virtually all the snow has melted below 2000m.
Are you desperate for another fix?
The Grand Motte will probably still be open from Val Claret, check the Tignes.net website. Val Thorens is scheduled to have its last day on Sunday 10th May.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy1234, Thanks. Yeh my season ended a bit abruptly, so looking to round it off properly. Maybe VT
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
what about Austria FC? some good snow at Hintertux with more forecast next week
latest report
@franzClammer, check the report to see what's open at http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=val-thorens&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=en
Had a look today and almost 100% was open. But the freezing level is very high and the forecast is not great going forward.
Pity cos my birthday is 10th May and I have long fancied celebrating it on the piste.
snow report
andy1234 wrote:
@franzClammer,
Pity cos my birthday is 10th May and I have long fancied celebrating it on the piste.

Happy birthday for the 10th snowHead
That was my plan this year. I'm 50 this week and had planned to spend it in VT but sisters ACL cut my season back. So I could probly justify any last minute trip Toofy Grin however can't leave until Tues, so wondering if it's worth the drive
ski holidays
@franzClammer, thank you. as I got to my 50th a friend who was about to celebrate his 60th remarked that he was going to make sure he had a good year by doing various things and taking in some great places. I took that on board and had a great year as well, in part because there was less emphasis on a particular day and always something else to look forward to. If you are set on skiing there will be opportunities after next week in Europe and elsewhere so no need to chase bad snow!
Hope this is helpful and you enjoy your birthday, wherever you spend it.
snow report
@geeo, Not ski'ed Austria yet. Although I see Snoworks have an All Terrain course in Tux on May 2nd, tempting
@andy1234, Many thanks. I am debating saving my £ and putting toward a trip later in the year.
latest report
Summer - monthly (well rather late I have just realised) update!

Well everyone it is good to be putting pen to paper once again but I have just realised that it has been 2.5 months since I last updated everyone and as you all know I like to do a monthly update in the off season. TOTALLY forgot - apologies!

So I shall very briefly summarise what has been happening since the snow melted! (Im actually in Val and despite it being 30+ degrees there are STILL patches of snow about 2700m in altitude and above that are not on the glacier!)

Anyway so I had a wonderful time at the EoSB in Val Thorens and met many fine SH's! The weather was great and the teaching was fun.... it was nice to ski a different patch too! So after a few days there it was back to Val and party time as it was Clares birthday and then Olivias first birthday pretty much straight after that! Suddenly we were into May and with the tax return behind me (yay) it was time to pack the car and get back to the UK for a holiday to see friends and family! So we spent a couple of weeks dashing around the country seeing everyone. Then Clares mum had very kindly offered to look after Olivia for a week so that Clare and I could take our first holiday since before we go married (just the two of us)... we have had a couple of short breaks since then but it has been with other members of her family so not a total switch off!

So off we went to Agadir in Morocco. We were rather naughty as we just booked an all inclusive (really nice) hotel for the week and were totally spoilt! Apart from a day trip to Marrakesh (which is a bonkers place) and I played a round of golf it gave Clare and I a total chance to switch off. We both ate and drank too much for the week but it was lovely. The weather was just to our liking in the high 20's and into the early 30's and not too humid so just perfect!

No sooner had we come back from that than we were continuing to rush around the country visiting people. I signed up to do an intensive course on how to plaster as it will be part of my new artillery of skills for the Summer out in Val... so that was about a week up in Bedfordshire staying with some friends. Suddenly it was early June which meant that we packed the car up and headed back to Val. Clare started her new Summer job at the Toviere hotel in La Daille - sort of doing a little bit of everything really - helping at reception, lunch service, re-do the website into English etc. At the same time as that Olivia started in creche for the Summer. For some strange reason the creche is relocated in the Summer months up to the Jardin des Enfant building near the Rond pont des Pistes. Anyway I was there that week as she settled into creche and it all went according to plan!

So 13th June I headed back to the UK. A day taking my dad to the One Day International cricket match between England and New Zealand was followed by a few days at home doing some odd jobs for them. I then did some of my usual cricket work (each Summer for the past few years I have worked for a company that does the branding at televised cricket matches) down in Bristol before heading to Milton Keynes to put into practice some of the plastering skills I learnt on the new build of friends' parents new house. I was pretty impressed with the results and there should be some more plastering work to be done there at some point as the new build develops!

As soon as I had finished that I was away again on the cricket work - this time to Nottingham for a few days......

AND NOW (it has been a hectic couple of months as you can see and it will be like this for another couple of months to come at least!)..... I headed back to Val.... as I will be doing a lot of backwards and forwards this Summer and in an attempt to try and save some money I took the overnight coach from London (no ferry strikes affected me (luckily (and long may that continue as I head back through Calais on the tunnel this Saturday)) to Paris before taking the train and then finally getting a pick up from Clare (oh and there was even a bus replacement service on part of the journey too (so it really was a labour of love getting here) back to Val... phew made it. So that all happened on Monday and I have been back in Val since then.

Clare has been working and I have had Olivia out of creche as much as possible. Luckily Clare does not work on Wednesday so we had an awesome family day altogether today. We headed up the Solaise and walked to the Ouillette for a drink (you can see the work they are doing up top towards the new magic carpets / lift station etc - more on that in a moment)... then came back down again (it was Olivias first ride on a chairlift (not 100% sure she enjoyed the experience (at first anyway!)). We had a lovely lunch at the Casserole (all the restaurants etc do very good offers at this time of the year - so we had a set menu lunch of salad followed by steak and green beans followed by a chocolate mouse thing all for €15 per person!) and then a walk to the park - they build a new park in the Summer - this one aimed at the little ones has a sand floor to it... next to the bottom of the Village lift... finally we had a paddle in the little river eddy by the Solaise ticket pass office and then a walk to and from Clochetons - it was a lovely day!

So I head back to the UK this weekend and I am installing a kitchen for a friend.... that will be followed by a stint on the cricket again.... then another trip back here to Val before one really long stint again on the cricket in August.... suddenly the Summer will be over won't it!

Anyway to finish with today folks here are some pictures from today - out an about around Val d'Isere which was into the 30's today - so pretty darn hot - but (CRUCIALLY) not humid!

Took Olivia to the beach in Bournemouth with my father - she loved the beach!

Another day with grandad - at the England international versus New Zealand at Southampton!

Val d'Isere looking beautiful today - this little stream flows down outside the piste map board at the bottom of the mountain as you can see in the Summer

A little out of focus but Olivia rides her first chairlift strapped to daddy today!

Stunning panorama at the top of the mountain! (Solaise)

Some of the massive ground works started at the top of Solaise... phase two next Summer. However at the moment it is to get the terrain and then the magic carpets in place up there so the rope lift, poma (Terrasse) and Lac chairlift have all been dismantled.

The reservoir behind the pisteurs hut up there you don't normally see in the Winter (its covered in snow for starters!)

The Madelaine lift and run with the Ouillette lake

Even a huge crane has been assembled up there... and in the fore ground this is where the Lac Chair used to start!

Nice family selfie

Olivia takes a little paddle

Over 30 degrees C!

Well that is all for this time - I shall try and do another update at the end of this month (if I dont forget!)
snow conditions
Superb. Thanks for sharing
snow report
Nice report Steve, beautiful pictures of your family and mountains!

Heading for a week to AT mountains with my family, hope it keeps nice for the next week too
snow conditions

Floats in the Val fayre

Daddy and daughter trip up the Bellevarde yesterday.

A busy month

Well the month has been busy with work and rushing back and forth so I dont know where to start this month.

Clare has been holding the fort back here in Val and Olivia has been coming on leaps and bounds. The main news is that she took her first steps a week or so back.... there had been a few weeks when she would reluctantly walk whilst holding hands and then took a couple of steps by herself and then virtually overnight decided to walk and there has been no looking back - walks everywhere and occasionally resorts to crawling. AMAZING.

I have managed to spend about 10 days in total in July back in Val but most of the time has been spent back in the UK. I have installed a kitchen for a friend back home which took a good 10 days.... managed to fit in several days work on the cricket again - about a week or so so far but lots more to come. I am mainly following the Womens Ashes matches and boy are those women good at cricket - its awesome to watch. Even better news (well most of the time) has been England men so far in the Ashes - long may it continue.

Unfortunately my Father had another stroke (a serious one this time) a couple days after I last posted.... he was in hospital for about 10 days and initially it was touch and go but he did well and has now been out of hospital for about two weeks and getting better all the time. So lots of visiting and helping make arrangements for my mother on that front.

Wow - where has the month gone really..... all go, go, go.

My travels back and forth between the UK and France has seen me go via Calais / Dover on several occasions and it really is getting worse and worse there it really is. To be fair I have been incredibly lucky and only delayed once on the Eurotunnel for about 3 hours but that had big knock-on effects for me but there you go.... next crossing this Monday in the early hours - wish me luck!

So back here in Val there has been the usual influx of Summer tourists and to be honest it is quite busy at the moment. The town has been holding its usual array of Summer activities - there is a food market style thing tomorrow which I am looking forward to. There was a few fayres and Clare and Olivia enjoyed watching the floats when they came through town last weekend. The weather has also been behaving which helps. Clare and I managed a trip over to Tignes for a family lunch on Wednesday which was lovely too.

Apart from that that sums up the past month. Sorry not the most interesting update but I am a little braindead this evening and lacking in inspiration.

Anyway more updates next month.
snow report
Sorry to see that your father has been unwell, but it's good that he seems to be making a good recovery. Great news about Olivia starting to walk! Very Happy
snow conditions
Fantastic reports and photos, thank you! Very Happy Hope your father continues to improve.
ski holidays
Steve Angus wrote:

Anyway I decided to take one last ride on the Solaise Express for old times sake as that will be the last time I ride it as it is due to be dismantled this Summer as the new gondola goes in.

Looking at the webcams it seems Solaise Express is still in place. The animation for the new Gondola says opening in 2016 so I assume it means for season 2016/17. Or have I got it completely wrong. Blush Blush
ski holidays
http://www.ernalow.co.uk/blog/ambitious-new-development-breaks-ground-in-val-disere

from a couple od days ago
snow report
@Gaza, There is an official comment (as far as I can tell its official!) on the you tube vid that says the gondola will open Nov 16. Hopefully they will complete the magic carpets for this season as Steve has reported the Terrasse drag and the Lac Chair have gone - that would be quite a skin for beginners! Given that next season is generally referred to as 16 - they have, perhaps, been a bit cheeky with the title on the animation or they have recently discovered some more of the 'Silene Suede' (Swedish Campion IIRC) that has resulted in a whole lot of environmental mitigation.

http://youtube.com/v/YI0R9WePf64

Edit: Through the mystical powers of admin the vid has embedded you will have to go to YT direct to get at the comments!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If he gondola isn't going to be in for the start of the new season then I assume the Solaise chair is still in place and will be operational. It certainly looks like it is still there on the webcam.
snow conditions
Looks like Dopplemayer have offered the best price again. Should be good.
snow conditions
@Peter S, Yip, Doppelmayer do seem to be the preferred provider in EK. Every lift sine 2000 in Tignes has been by them (perhaps with the exception of the tram thing in Brev and the Magic Carpets). They do seem to have it nailed re delivery on time and they work - unlike the Marmottes and Fontaine Froide debacles. Now Val are in Compagnie des Alpes may have something to do with it.
snow report

The new magic carpet up top of Solaise is coming along nicely; so too is the new top lift station and on the other side (town facing side) the magic carpet there is developing nicely too.

One of many Summer events in Val d'Isere - the regional market and town Summer Fayre weekend.

A circus in town!

What a month of too'ing and fro'ing

I cant believe it has been a whole month since my last update.... and what a month it has been.

I think I have been back and forth between Val d'Isere and the UK about 3 times..... when back in this country I have been working cricket match after cricket match and in the most part it has been the Womens Ashes I have worked although I did do the Mens (and Womens) T20 in Cardiff yesterday too. Pretty much all the time I have been in the UK I have been on the cricket work so there is not too much to report on that front apart from to say that my Father continues to make good progress!

Back in Val Clare has been busy working in the Toviere hotel in La Daille with Olivia going from strength to strength and now totally walking unaided! Now we have gone into a new academic year in France (like the UK) she has moved up to the 'moyenne' group of little ones.

When I was back in Val I have done several things - a couple of weeks back there was the town Summer Fayre which was brilliant.... so much entertainment as well as fresh regional produce from the whole Savoie region of France. The next time I was back there was a full circus in town (minus wild animals as the French dont like that sort of stuff). I took Olivia along and she loved every second of it - that's her with the back to the camera in the photo above. She was mesmerised by the trapeze artist, the clowns and pretty much bounced up and down in her pram like a loon for the 90 minutes it was on and happily tucked into my popcorn - bless! To prove there really was a circus in town the camel in the photo was real!

Luckily I have not been too badly affected by any Calais problems thank goodness. Talking of UK-France transport links then I encourage people to consider the Eurostar option to getting to Val.... not the classic to Paris and change OR the direct service to Bourg Saint Maurice but the new routings to Geneva or South of France which go through Lille. I have generally taken the train to Lille then changed onto the Eurostar there. I know it is not Winter and I have not been carrying ski bags but it is simple route and Lille Europe station is basically a long distance / international only station so you dont have to walk many platforms to get where you need to go and is purpose built so well laid out etc!

So the days are getting shorter and cooler and now the kids have gone back to school Val really goes into shut down for several weeks / months until the Winter builds up again. So I dont think there will be too much interesting things happening in Val in my next report but who knows! Talking of the near future I will basically be back in Val for the next month (from next week (have a few social engagements to do the next week and some more teaching at The Snow Centre too) and shall be doing some DIY for a friend and then doing a small refurb at a friends flat too. Lots of family time beckons !

TTFN folks - enjoy the early Autumn as Winter is not far away!
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Thanks for the summer updates. Glad your Father is gaining strength and Clare is enjoying working in La Toviere, we have had some lovely stays there with Florence and the family. Does she know if David is coming back over the winter season?
Don't know if its the camera angle but the magic carpet looks steep for beginners !!
ski holidays
Steve, what train do you take to get from Bourg St Maurice to Lille? I've often wondered about that route but never found a good connection. The new Eurostar direct to Lyon looks interesting, though again needs a good connection from Lyon to Bourg St Maurice to make it tempting. Like Lille changing at Lyon is easy compared to Paris.
ski holidays
Winter is approaching

muppet - she hasn't mentioned David no so not sure sorry! The magic carpet on that side is not designed for first or even third day beginners - I generally take people on that slope towards the end of their first week so they should have reasonable skills. Its not as steep as it looks no - but does look steep in that picture yes! The main learner area up there is going to be on the other side of that hill down towards the Solaise restaurant anyway.
kieranm - BSM to Lille - either via Lyon or Chambery are good options. If you get a train to Chambery then can change their quite easily. However from London there is always going to be at LEAST 2 changes unfortunately - another option is sleeper service direct from Bourg to Paris - but then have to change in Paris to get Eurostar which makes it pain in the back bottom again! - changing at Lyon is easy as you say like Lille Europe. Personally anything to avoid Paris for me.

Anyway back to the monthly write-up. It has been another busy month at this end. The money has been split into three bits really...

Beginning of September I was finishing up the cricket work and then I was lucky enough so spend a day watching England lose versus Australia at Southampton..... I fitted in a round of golf and some catch up with friends before heading back to Val. I have to say it was good to get somewhere (home) and not have to move at all for several weeks! When I got back the weather was still lovely and somedays touching 20 degrees still.

So yes most of September was spent in Val and day by day the noises of Winter could be heard as the animals were taken off the mountain and back down to the valley whereas the occurrences of snow atop the mountains was more prevelent as the days went by. In fact there was a couple of days when we woke to a TINY bit of snow down in the village but it had all melted by about 8am!

Work wise I did a few odd jobs at home and spent some quality time with the family. When Olivia was at creche and Clare at work I was busy doing a small project at Bonne Sante physio. Lou (the owner and close friend of ours) asked me to knock a wall down and reposition it.... had a lot of wiring inside the wall so it actually was quite a lot of work in the end. I got about 80% the way there and have almost replastered all affected surfaces and ready to repaint before ran out of time. So will have to finish it in a few weeks time.

So the end of the September came and Clare finished her job up (hoping to be back there again next Summer) and we packed up. Olivia finished in creche for the time being and we all de-camped back to the UK. We did the same thing as last time and left Val in the late afternoon and drove through the night getting an early morning ferry and back to Berkshire (base for October and where I am typing from now) for breakfast time. Olivia once again slept most of the way so it was fairly painless.

October so far is a mix of seeing friends and family, sorting bits and bobs out before the Winter (Winter tyres on that sort of thing) and have some down time / family time before Winter really starts gearing up again!

With my birthday in a couple of weeks and then the Listex ski trade event as well as a couple of trips to see family etc it will be a busy few weeks. I am also fitting in some ski lessons at The Hemel Snow Centre tomorrow too! Might see some of you there as there is a SH's ski test on!

Back in Val it has been very quiet as the Summer season is of course behind us. The schools have gone back but apart from that not too much. Earlier in September there was a lot of activity as a local walker went missing in the mountains and as far as I know they have not found him - whatever that means!!!!! The pisteurs have been very busy doing some work on the hill... they have completed the new CATEX system for the Spatule / Super-Spatule area above La Daille and the slopes above Piste L too - logs put into the ground to resist snow creep which blights the opening of the piste below for long periods of the season!

Talking of pisteurs work a SAF chopper crashed over in Tignes as they were doing some pre-season work - luckily no serious injury or death thank goodness!

New expansion plans have been announced for the Jardins des Enfants at the Rond Pont des Pistes. They would like to double it in size and have it a combination of municipal / private users. It will mean the current creche Olivia attends near the school will be absorbed into it - its all about economies of scale and makes sense.

The Tignes glacier opened on the 1st October too (although after a warm Summer not as much has been able to be opened as they hoped for).

Val d'Isere are also announcing plans to bid to host the French Alpine Ski Championships for 2023 too - looks like they will be up against Chamonix and Meribel!

And if all that was not enough the building works are cracking on at full pace in Val. The Cygnaski / Clarines building will be finished for this Winter. Phase A (of 2 parts) of the new Residence Canadienne should be finished. At the other of town near the UCPA the apartment blocks and hotel should be finished in there. However on the down side I really cant imagine what will be complete and what won't on the new "Fondu Factory" site in the centre where the Pedrix Blanche used to be!

In fact lots of interesting updates on the resort here: http://www.heavenpublicity.co.uk/whats-new-in-val-disere-winter-201516/

OK thats all for now.... a few pictures to follow..... rest of October in this country (UK) and then back to Val beginning of November... another update then BEFORE THE DAILY BLOG STARTS AGAIN LATE NOVEMBER!

TTFN

UCPA looking for the missing man earlier in September

Logs being put in to stop snow creep above Piste L

Luckily no serious injuries to crew or Pisteurs over in Tignes when this SAF chopper crashed during high winds during pre-season slope preparation work.

Magic carpet in place of the Lac lift almost finished - coupled with the first snows of Winter!

Forgot to say they are cracking on well with the work for the new restaurant near the base of the (soon to be defunct) Solaise Cable Car. Not sure it will be ready for this Winter though!

Mummy and Olivia feeding the ducks!

Going for a walk with Daddy!
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Hi, Would it be ok to pm you with regards a couple of private lessons this season?
snow report
thecramps - use of course - lots of people do. Thanks. Ill keep a look out for it.
ski holidays
thecramps - use of course - lots of people do. Thanks. Ill keep a look out for it.
ski holidays
Notice of a competition I thought my 'blog' followers might be interested in hearing about!

So a break from the tradition but I thought I would give a quick mention of a competition my ski school are running this pre-season period would interest people. So www.tdcski.com are running a competition on our Facebook page. All you have to do to win this prize is to post a photo and a story, or a heartfelt recollection, of what it is that you love about skiing the most on our Facebook Page – www.facebook.com/tdcski. The best one will win either a Free Private Lesson or 5 day Early Season Clinic with us in Val d'Isere / Tignes.

TO MAKE THINGS EASIER AND TO KEEP PEOPLE ON THIS WONDERFUL SNOWHEADS SITE if you post something below (just the story / photo with the title "competition entry") then I will copy and paste it into the Facebook page myself and shall make sure you are credited if you put your name at the bottom! So minimal faffing needed. Of course we'd love it if you also visited our Facebook page and submitted and "liked" that way!

Happy story telling.

Ill be back at the end of this month for my regular blog piece but will keep an eye on this page in the meantime!

Steve
latest report
I'm not on Facebook, so will have to think of something and post it here. Great to read all the latest updates, and I must say the Grand Motte was looking absolutely beautiful this morning with the sunshine and fresh snow, and the cloud covering the valley below. Lucky skiers up there this morning.

What's the closing date for the competition?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy