Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for all the advice Steve, having a great week. Lesson with Claire today was excellent (although she didn't know the inside out scales Wink )

If you guys are about for a swift beer at any point be good to catch up with a fellow snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisrawles - Late April... Well you'll be unlucky to have issues with grass etc on piste above about 2500m - so the top of mountains in Val and Tignes but the lower slopes (down into the various parts of the resort) will be a little hit and miss (but skiable) more unless until the end of the season. Of piste could be more problematic!

Levi215 - Glad you enjoyed - yea Clare mentioned that she taught a Snowhead this pm... Might be around one evening in the Blue Note for a beer at some point.... although with Olivia and after a long days teaching don't very often get the chance. Yes Clare mentioned that you had asked about the Inside Out levels... I did not know that you were keen to know what level you are at... ill see if Clare can look at the levels to match you up when she gets a second!

Anyway back to today...

Very warm Spring day

It was lovely and clear and sunny early doors and little did I know that it would stay that way all day - in fact it was supposed to cloud over but never did.

Clare and I were on the same booking (are each morning this week) so we met the various kids from several different families all staying with different chalet companies but all know each other at the Savonnettes. In total we had 7 kids varying in age between 6 and 10 and some had skied before, others hadn't (well the ones that had skied before had only done a day but it ALL counts at that level!). Anyway after some huffing and puffing and sweating we got them going and they did well. The snow initially was rather firm but as it softened up the kids were able to get better purchase on the snow and by the end of the session they were starting to make small deflections in direction down the lower part of the Savonnettes - well done kids. Clare and I did a team teach which allowed the kids to get more skiing in, coupled with better class activity levels and they were able to lap around as I caught them off the lift and set them off and Clare 'picked' them up and got them back in the direction of the lift to repeat! Anyway a successful first morning for the kids and 4 more days to go... I am hopeful that by the middle of the week if the weather allows we will be up the mountain.... with a little bit of luck.... but there is plenty of work to be done before that!

It was glorious sitting in the sun at lunchtime before meeting my afternoon lesson. A nice couple out here with plenty of friends for a massive 50th birthday party. They had both skied 12 years ago for a week but not since then..... we started at the very beginning as a recap and worked our way up. Despite the need for a couple of cool down stops they did really well although fatigue did set in.... by the end he was on the Village lift and when she has fresh legs tomorrow she should make it on there too!

This evening has revolved around clearing up my desk and I am about to sort through loads of receipts from the last couple of months - ah the joys of being self employed!

The photos today comes from a friend as she was out walking her dog today! Rather cute pic!

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Steve Angus, glorious day yesterday Steve - please apologise to Claire ... I approached her on the slope and thought it was Gavin P ! ... Don't think she was too offended !!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Like yesterday, but not as warm or sunny (although plenty of glimpses) and with improving skiers!

Well it was nicer weather than it could have been.... yes there was a blanket of cloud for most of the day and a breeze built up later in the afternoon but I had the same people am and pm as yesterday.

The kids in the morning did very well.... despite one of them not skiing because she was ill (apparently - I am not so sure IMO!) the other 6 did well. We had not had a freeze overnight which really helped conditions as it was soft right from the start and therefore grippy and slow for the kids. By the end of the session we had all 6 kids do a lap on the Village lift. I suspect that if conditions are different tomorrow then we could have a very different outcome..... weather and / or snow could halt plans to get them up / or nearly ready to go up the mountain!

The afternoon was back on the Savonnettes to start with and little by little we worked our way through the technical aspects so that we were able to head up the mountain half way through the lesson... A few laps on the Lac and Terrase lift and the guys did very well. Although they were somewhat tired when we got back down to the bottom of the Solaise Express!

I popped into town to collect some supplies as Clare did dinner time and as usual now that Olivia is in bed I am catching up with a few things.

Tomorrow should see a change in the weather although I don't think it will be as bad people think and / or was supposed to be looking at the forecast a few days back! I have the kids in the morning - if the 7th kid comes back then Clare and I are going to have to do some juggling around - parents seem to forget that when you have several kids you can't push them on as quick as you don't have multiple sets of arms and legs and also for safety we have to work at the pace / ability of the weakest members of the group.... since some of the kids are lesser co-ordinated than others and at the other end of the spectrum some of the kids (like their fathers) are a little pushier compromises have to be made! Anyway we will work it out! If the 7th kid does not come back then the others will have pushed a lot further on by the time Thursday rolls around!

I know I have mentioned it before but sometimes I really wonder why people have lessons - I really do. This is not in relation to anyone I have taught today or recently but just observations you see around the place. People seem intent on ignoring what they learn in lessons and trying to copy really poor ski technique from people they perceive around them as being better... You see people who have good technique after a lesson put it all up the spout by blasting onto tougher slopes / faster speeds etc and throwing away all the good stuff they have learnt..... The desire - especially amongst groups of men to out do each results in some pretty shocking skills (or lack of) on the slopes. When they come to have a lesson again you just know you are saying stuff that they have been told before they just have not spent time committing it to memory. Anyway it is one of those things I will never completely grasp I don't think.

The sad news around town from today was that the court ruling was finally made and the Cabane at the bottom of the Savonette nursery slopes was told to close within 2 months. It is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard..... all revolving around a complaint of the smell from the place..... it was in the UK press a few weeks back. Anyway there is no smell, it is only open during the daylight hours and therefore does not impact on the apartments around it (especially at night and everyone should be out skiing during the day) and finally it is a GODSEND having the place there so you can stop with groups of kids / adults and take a break.... I would go as far as to say it is perhaps the MOST IMPORTANT stop point ANYWHERE on the mountain for instructors and beginners and is a VITAL service. So it will only have a detrimental effect on Val d'Isere.... I hope Valerie appeals and wins as I know every instructor is right behind her!

Finally thoughts go out to the people, friends and family as well as rescuers etc in the air crash in the southern French Alps - no impact around here although I was surprised to see the Courcheval SAF chopper and not the Val one flying around here.... I know many choppers were called in from other places to help in the operation so maybe that had something to do with it!

scorchio - no problems - yes she did mention that to me and have giggle about it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I know I have mentioned it before but sometimes I really wonder why people have lessons - I really do.

This is always a complete mystery to me too Steve
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

We had not had a freeze overnight

When Val d'Isere has no overnight freeze the outlook for those of us at lower altitude is not great....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"everyone should be out skiing during the day"

Funny the way we assume everyone is just like us and if they are not, they ought to be.

Not everyone goes to Val d'Isere to ski and plenty who do don't want to ski every day. Some who like to ski every day don't or can't ski all day. I think the proportion skiing all day every day is reasonably small. It's pretty obvious that is so if you consider the lift queues on a nice day versus a nasty one.

"The desire - especially amongst groups of men to out do each results in some pretty shocking skills (or lack of) on the slopes. When they come to have a lesson again you just know you are saying stuff that they have been told before they just have not spent time committing it to memory."

Possibly. Personally I find myself reverting to previous habits when I'm tired or when I'm concentrating on not being hit by other skiers on crowded pistes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking forward to coming out on the 4th. Will make a change from the fridges of Hemel and Mk.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OH MY GOD Steve Angus!! That nice picture of a dog appears to confirm that there is virtually no snow at all left in Espace Killy Skullie.

Guess I'm just fortunate that I'll be having to make do with Scotland/Lakes/(and hopefully) Pennines skiing for the rest of winter 2014/15 Toofy Grin.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Back to Winter - well sort of....

The weather was very much like Winter again this morning with heavily overcast skies and a few flurries of snow around. You could see the top of Solaise and Bellevarde pretty clearly from town so it was not too bad and the temperature was just hovering around zero so again hardly cod. Anyway Clare and I met the kids and did a couple of warm up runs on the Savonettes before hitting the Village before finally making the commitment to head up the Solaise. In fact the weather up there was not too bad at all. There was about 5cm of fresh wintery powder up there already but if it goes on all afternoon and night then there could be a nice (small) powder day tomorrow!

Anyway considering the conditions the kids did very well although the wind was a little punchy at times so the kids got a little cold. All in all it was a fun session before taking the cable car back down to the bottom and dropping the happy kids back with excited parents!

Anyway with the weather closing in (and it continues to close in now this afternoon) I decided that even attempting the heli ski trip this afternoon would be a non starter and I have things to do at home so with the blessing of the seasonnaires I made the decision to postpone the afternoon session. Normally as an instructor moving sessions is totally impossible (we cant do it) but as the session specifically revolved around the helicopter it all added up to a natural decision. In all other cases you can always develop someones skiing so it is not relevant!

Anyway I am trying to focus on getting some things done at home before picking Olivia up later on and generally Clare and I are having a relaxing afternoon!

I may even go to the cinema later on to see American Sniper - not sure!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict - That mountain in the background is of the south facing slopes that border Val d'Isere on the NON skiing side of the resort..... even in the depths of winter there is usually hardly any snow on that face. I can assure you there is tonnes of snow left on the slopes and off piste - Val has so much north and east facing slopes that we will last well into May before the lifts close - I can assure you of that!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Val has so much north and east facing slopes that we will last well into May before the lifts close - I can assure you of that!

That is good to know @Steve Angus, So booking a a trip 3rd week April should be OK then.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisrawles - yea there will still be snow but don't expect many powder days and the lower slopes could be iffy / open or closed but higher up there will be plenty to keep you occupied. Plan to ski hard in the morning before it softens up!

Don't you just love a temperature inversion in the mountains!

At the top of the Solaise there was temptation out there as the sun teased first thing...

Come on...

Yes through the top...

Not that I was off piste but apparently the powder was awesome today!

It was a gloomy start to the day in town but the word on the street was that higher up there was a temperature inversion which could mean we would poke through the clouds higher up if we were lucky.

We met the kids at the bottom of the Village lift and did a warm up run before heading up the Solaise. It was only when we got half way up the Madelaine that we poked through the cloud and it was glorious up there - simply beautiful looking down the on the 'sea' of cloud below!

The kids did really well and we ended up doing a fair few laps on the Madelaine. By lunchtime the clouds were really drawing back down the valley and it was looking like it was going to be a wonderful afternoon.

Those that were off piste and higher up on the Pissaillas were treated to some 30-40cm of fresh snow thanks to the Foehn wind effect over the last few days but even near the top of Solaise there was about 10-15cm and it looked lovely!

When we dropped the kids off I was once again reminded of how out of tune some people can be in turns of expectations. I was asked whether some of the kids would be able to ski down the red 'Plan M' piste (as an example) at the end of the afternoon having skied around the top of the mountain in the afternoon..... the kids have been skiing 4 days and are around about 6-9 years old and only learnt to snowplough turn about 48 hours ago!!!!!! Of course the answer was no but in a case like that if they were taken down a piste like that then would probably get down (with quite a lot of falls) but then the precedent is set in the kids eye that they are red run skiers and the vicious circle of 'death' wedges starts and it takes longer to get them into a parallel position as a result. They will actually make better skiers in the longer term by keeping them on gentler pistes! Anyway I hope they were not taken anywhere near a blue run this pm, let alone a red run - we shall see tomorrow (last day with them).

It was a quick turn around at lunchtime and I headed up the Bellevarde to meet Mark and Julie for their last lesson with me this season. We mainly worked on the OK Orange working on their short turns before aiming to have a run in the Stade but the cloud rolled back in and put a spanner in the works so we headed even higher to get some carving work in. There are some really got things going on with their short turns and we need to keep exaggerating the things learnt and drumming it into the subconscious!

The weather did something strange this pm and the clouds in effect acted like a tide - in the am the 'tide' went out - leaving a low tide down the valley (of clouds) but as the afternoon went on the tide came back in and by the end of the afternoon it was just the tops of the Bellevarde etc that were sticking through the cloud.

It was coming back up the valley by the afternoon!

So hopefully the weather will stay good tomorrow afternoon as I am running another heli trip - fingers crossed for that.

OH and Easyjet finally released Xmas and New Year flights this morning so we got some of the trip for Xmas 2015 home in the UK (just a few days) all booked in at 6am this morning... still need to get the flights to the UK booked (probably Wednesday 23rd December but 27th December back is sorted!).

TTFN
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lovely pictures of the clouds there, @Steve Angus. What a shame that after the great work you've been putting in with the kids the parents are so daft. rolling eyes It makes me really angry when I see parents (who are often poor skiers themselves) taking struggling kids down red runs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^

You see a lot of that in Val d'Isere, where all the home runs get steeper, narrower and more congested as you descend. "Parent" is always dad and dad is always a Brit.
ski holidays
Loving those pics. Really looking forward to the 4th.
latest report
My opinion...it's good to come home from a ski holiday and say "I skied this run" and feel that you've achieved something, improved, whatever - but getting down it and getting down it properly are poles apart.

I don't think like that. I have a rather dodgy knee, and a successful ski holiday is getting out every day, having fun, trying some different runs and surviving the week unscathed!! Okay, I may stick to the blue runs and not push myself into doing reds - I can and have done in the past but 2 knee injuries since and I just don't feel that confident - but I still have a cracking week and can go home feeling I have achieved something.

The après beer mentality of "I skied down a black run and it's only my first week on skis" drives me mad...!!
snow conditions
^ agreed sentiments there folks!

It got better and better today

It was one of those days where I had everything crossed in the morning but as it turned out it was not necessary as it turned out lovely.

There was a slight mix up in meet point with the kids this morning as in the parents had obviously not passed the message around each other so most of the kids ended up at the bottom of the Village lift when they should have been at the bottom of the Solaise! Anyway we got there in the end and got going just after 9am.... brilliant.

The weather for the first few hours (from getting up at 6am) of the day was dodgy to say the least. Initially it was a little snowy and very cloudy but by 9 it was reasonable but the clouds were moving overhead jolly fast and the clouds were generally at about 2700m and above which meant the tops of the mountains were in cloud - annoying. Anyway the kids were not 100% prepared for how chilly and windy and tricky the conditions were up Bellevarde so the first descent down the Verte towards the Marmots was slow to say the least with lots of stopping to warming hands and faces etc. Anyway we ended up taking a very early hot choc break at Marmottes before coming out to see the clouds had lifted a bit and the winds a little less which was welcome. So we went back up the Marmots so we could do a lap down the Petit Cross which the kids loved.... although the wind was obviously very altitude dependant... so going up a couple hundred metres had a huge effect.

Anyway we decided to take the kids down Verte to La Daille which ended up taking rather a long time and the kids were knackered by the time we got to La Daille although the heavy slushy snow lower down that had not re-frozen overnight did not help.

A quick lunch and it was time to start focusing my attention on the afternoons planned heli trip to Chevril - only about my 6th this season - its been GREAT. Anyway I spoke to the pilot as I did not think the weather was going to play ball and the group I was taking had already been cancelled on once a couple of weeks back. The pilot was hopeful but not certain as the wind was just OK but could not lower in altitude otherwise it would be problematic. However the thick clouds could be very problematic as they could mean we could not land at the top of Solaise which would then mean we had to land at La Daille which is boring to say the least.

Anyway I headed up with the team hopeful with everything crossed and initially it did not look promising. However just about as we got to the end of the hike I could see Solaise in the distance which must mean that visibility wise it was OK over there. The wind was OK as soon as you dropped down a couple hundred meters from the peaks which was good too. Anyway we FINALLY got the OK from the pilot and set off... the snow was lovely.... amazingly perfect to be honest - not that deep but it was locely. Lower down it got heavy as usual but all in all the best snow down there this season.

We called the chopper in it was apparent that conditions had got even better as the pilot said Solaise was on.... it got even better as the pilot was a happy man as he could actually fly today (and I think we were his only customers).... so cutting a story short he took us the long way around to get to Solaise and was 'throwing' the chopper around... which pleased us all..... it was a great flight.

After all the excitement it was a quick ski down Solaise and to Blue Note for a beer.... a great end to the day.

I have just done bath time for Olivia and Clare has now popped out for a drink with friends so I have the TV to myself!

Nice family day tomorrow coming up.

PS - Hi to whomever it was on a snowboard this morning down in La Daille who said 'hi' from this blog. Hi back!
PPS - Meant to say that 9 people were heli'ed out of the Gorges du Malpasset yesterday up at Le Fornet - as all the signs say up there - it is NOT passable at the moment.
snow report
Hey Steve, that was me passing you this morning on the way down to La Daille. Sorry but didn't want to stop you in the middle of a lesson. Hope you had a good day.
snow report
A really pleasant day

We awoke to beautiful sunshine streaming in through the window and it was such a pleasant start to the day off.... tea in bed and then a family breakfast - perfect.

I took a trip up to the Cash 2000, cash and carry and stocked up on some things that we needed. Even though the sun was out and the temperature was going to rise I was a little under dressed and chilly walking up there but not to worry.

As I was leaving home I noticed that the end of student week had resulted in a barrier to the car park over the way being bent, Olivias pram base had been attempted to be stolen overnight (luckily it is padlocked to the balcony in the public hallway outside) and finally some black and yellow pisteurs safety poles being stacked up as the students were stockpiling their bags etc to load onto the coach which was due sometime soon. Anyway for once it was not British students this week - mainly French.... Also the pram was fine, the barrier will have to be dealt with by someone else but the pisteurs poles I picked up and returned them to their office at the Rond Pont des Pistes - good dead for the day done.

Anyway by the time I got back from Cash the plans for the day had already changed - we had planned to go to Gav and Lou's for lunch but they were stuck up at the Fornet at the Signal restaurant as the cable car had broken down and they were up there as foot passengers with Mea so were stuck for the time being.... so we moved plans to the evening.... however an hour later they called to say the problem was averted and they were now back home. So we headed up there en famille to have a LOVELY lunch and played with the kids..... we opened a bottle of champagne - just because!

By 5pm we were home for some more quality family time and have just ordered a nice noodle takeaway.

The weather closed in a little this afternoon and I think there could be some weather on the way but we shall see..... back to work tomorrow and now the school holidays have started again it will be a busy couple of weeks!

Backcountryboarder - good to say hi.... yea was just taking the kids Clare and I have been teaching this week down the last little bit to La Daille - they were tired!
latest report
Should've booked more lessons!

I hate blooming clock changes as I am always worried that I am going to wake up too early or oversleep and as usual woke up early as I was worried I would wake up late (you get me?). Anyway there was a veil of clouds hanging over Val but glimpses here and there of blue sky and sun. A quiet breakfast to myself as Clare and Olivia slept suited me just perfect as I watched NZ cock up their chances of winning the cricket World Cup.

Anyway by show time I was ready for skiing but wondered if my and other TDC colleagues clients' would remember the clock changes. Bex our illustrious office girl superstar revealed at the meeting point that there was little chance of that happening as she had texted ALL coaches and clients that were supposed to be having 9am lessons this morning so everyone should be on time.

Anyway as it transpired my lady was about 10 mins late but she was a delightful lady..... having had a couple of ski lessons on the Brentwood (oh that slopes brings back memories from some 15 years ago) dry ski slope before coming out with her family (who all skied) on her first ski holiday. Anyway we got going over to the Savonnettes and conditions could not have been better - good visibility, great snow (forgiving, soft and slow) and not too hot. She did exceptionally well for her first taste of real snow but got tired by the end. I was about to take her over to the Village lift but I sensed that she was overly tired and mentally a bit anxious so we held back. However she was kicking herself when she enquired about booking more lessons this week for me to tell her that I was fully booked and apart from the odd slot here and there as a ski school we are fully booked too. Alas she is going to talk options through with her husband. I hope she manages to get some more lessons as she will need it for her confidence!

I got home at lunchtime and have had a nice family lunch but am about to have an old university mate around with his girlfriend for a cuppa and Clare is whipping up a lemon drizzle cake - yummy. Weather wise the early promise gave way to pretty horrible conditions about an hour ago and now it is raining in town - so that will mean snow higher up. I am pretty sure it will be like this non stop now for the next 24 hours so it will be lower slopes only tomorrow and the hope of powder higher up later in the week when it clears. However I am back on the nursery slopes tomorrow morning before having a teen academy group starting in the afternoon - should be fun.

This photo was courtesy of the pisteurs first thing this morning high above the clouds before the weather moved in. I forgot to take a photo of my own this morning.

TTFN

ski holidays
POWDER AND DUMP ALERT

It's been snowing hard even down here in town since last evening and is still going strong. No sign of let up all day. Avalanche risk potentially going all the way back up to 4. A good 15cm here in town (minimum) from what I can see before 1st light out the window and likely to be loads more higher up.
snow report

Make that more like 20+cm here in town and more up top.... lots of blasting going on. Set to to continue (snowing) all day!

1st day beginner kids + Savonnettes today = lots of knocking snow off the bottom of ski boots and VERY tired legs and falling over from them!
snow report
Woooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ski holidays
We are back in resort tuesday night so glad to hear more snow has arrived Very Happy
ski holidays
@harvsurrey, good luck with your transfer!
ski holidays
Hire car from geneva , will keep an eye on the roads
latest report

One of the harder days of the season

Well the kids this morning were delightful. They had had a couple of one hour private lessons at The Snow Centre so had a sneak preview of what it was going to be about. However the parents were very relaxed and entrusting of the learning process to me which makes for a nice learning environment as far as I am concerned. The 4 kids are 6,6,6 and 7 years old and its a couple of siblings and they all seem to get on pretty well.

Anyway for their first morning they made great progress - despite most things working against us. Weatherise it was grey and sort of miserable in town but no wind. However the snow was very humid which makes for lots of sticking to ski boots but it is too manipulable for its own good so ridges, moguls.... you name it form. So as a beginner run goes the Savonnettes was tricky.

There was plenty of falling off the lift and with the weather, the first day of school holidays it was BUSY on there.... the lifties that work there are so good at helping with the kids but boy did they have their work cut out today.

However the kids are sort of just about holding a snowplough well on their own now so onwards and upwards I say.

Whilst all this was happening down on the nursery slopes the pisteurs were having a tough time up high. It took them a good 2 hours (as they can only start at first light and with the clock change at the weekend that is now later than normal) to get things safe to open the few lifts that could open due to the wind. There was up to 1m of accumulations in places but the wind was fierce up there. They were getting a lot of positive movements from the PIDA so they had to work hard. The avalanche risk was a high 3 and heading towards 4 (well it is) tomorrow. So until about mid morning there was lots of blasting going on and lots of people crammed down on the lower slopes!

After a quick 20 minute turn around for lunch it was time to meet the two boys in my 'Academy' group - 2 x 14 year old boys from Edinburgh. They enjoyed being the only 2 in the group and it should be a fun week with them although they are not your typical teens. So we headed up Bellevarde and it was windy (and that putting it mildly) and the vis was poor to say the least. There was not much open (piste wise) and all you could really do by the afternoon as the winds got even stronger was head down to La Daille. Lift wise there was just the funi. All in all it was one of the toughest days of the season up there. Check out the pics above which never do it justice - although my colleagues (Ben) jazz hands are funky!

Finally after I mentioned the avalanche over towards the Carro refuge towards Bonneval yesterday it transpires that the PGHM got the body and the other survivors out in a mega rush as the weather was closing in.... in doing so most of the equipment and 'evidence' was abandoned so they are asking anyone over that way (yea likely - not) over the next few days / weeks - to leave it alone until they manage to do a full investigation.

The heavy snow (at altitude) / rain lower down below 1800m, continues non stop with heavy wind up high. It is supposed to carry on for at least another 24 hours give or take so I think we are in for another tricky day tomorrow.... perhaps by Wednesday things will have improved.

TTFN
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Looking nice for a while - but did not stay that way

Much to my surprise this morning it was clearing up at breakfast time and there were glimpses of blue sky. However as the following photo shows it was evident that there was strong winds at altitude still.

Check out the wind blowing the snow off higher up.

Anyway after I dropped Olivia off at creche it was up to the Savonnettes to meet the kids. They were a little late but that was probably a good thing as they were very tired after their walk from the chalet and had been pretty tired last night after their ski lesson yesterday. Anyway off we set.... the aim to get them at least able to stop consistently and perhaps making small deflections across the slope from about half way up the savonnettes by the end of the lesson. The snow was smoother and would stay that way compared to yesterday... snow like this is a double edged sword..... slower and easier to get purchase for the kids which is good but on the flip side gets bumpier and stickier so more tiring - you cant have it all ways!

The main problem this morning was that the nursery area was even busier than yesterday - it was chaos out there and the lift queues were horrendous - ohh well!

The kids did really well and got handy at using the lift and made great progress for day two and mission accomplished. Day there (of 6) target for tomorrow will be making rounded controlled speed turns.... perhaps from the top of the Savonnettes and there is an outside chance that it may even happen on the Village but I doubt it - more like Thursday.

Lunchtime was another rushed affair and by the time I was heading back to the meeting point for the afternoons session the weather was really moving in. The wind at altitude had meant that things were up and down up the top of the mountain in the morning but things were obviously getting trickier.... by 1pm both the Olympic and Solaise Express lifts were shut due to high winds. The teenagers showed up fashionably late and I greeted them with the bad news re openings so we planned to ski the lower part of the Face a few times. They had skied hard in the morning but seemed fresh still. The Face was of course very bumpy but that was to work in our favour as the boys wanted to work on bumps at some point during the week.... so today was that day. We got in a couple of great laps on soft, sticky moguls and were about to head up for a third when they had to close the Bellevarde Express chair that we had been using for the past hour as the winds were gusting pretty strongly.... by now the only lift up high in the whole resort was the Funival and like the morning they were only allowing people over the age of 16 on it and with that the recommendation was for advanced skiers only - this will be due to the winds and weather but also the tricky snow (accumulations mainly) that were up there.

So we were left with the Rogoney lift, Village and Savonnettes of course. So we did a run on the Rogoney and headed for hot chocolate.

After the break we did a lap back on the Rogoney and we decided to learn some freestyle trick which the boys were excited about. Anyway everyone under the sun wanted to get up the Rogoney so the lift queues were pretty big.... however we did manage to get a couple of laps in and the boys really loved learning some funky things.

However the winds really were getting up and when a gust came through it was intense to say the least.... in fact there was a strong gust about 3.45 that pushed the cable on the Rogoney out of its housing so the lift was broken down for 20 minutes or so whilst they relocated the cable and got everyone off before deciding that enough was enough.

My colleague just happened to be in the wrong place (well right to get this photo I suppose) at the wrong time.

Alas all fixed and working again.

I popped home, changed and then popped out for a beer with an old university mate of mine and his girlfriend at Bananas Bar... that was jolly nice for an hour or two.

The weather is finally supposed to calm down a little more tomorrow but there could still be some wind and clouds / snow around but I think the worst of it is behind us now - phew!

Talking of winds the pisteurs reported 240km/h winds on the Grand Motte (gusts) today.

We were once again reminded of the amazing work pisteurs do today.... there was lots of blasting going on from breakfast time once again and there was control PIDA work going on all morning all over the resort. I don't know if the video link will work but they are from the official Val Pisteurs Facebook site. This first video shows accumulations above the GASEX system overhanging the Santons piste - this is why pistes are closed on days like this as even after blasting there could still be dangers. Besides after blasting all the snow ends up in Santons which makes the normally tricky run even harder / impossible to ski... so closed runs are closed for a reasons on days like this. The second video shows the there can be small accumulations in places like here at the Val SnowPark - the problem is being right next to the piste that people can venture off the piste and get caught in small slides like this that end up in terrain traps that can actually bury you under several metres of snow if you are not careful!

Hopefully these links work:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=812949765446205
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=813014988773016

In fact even before the pisteurs got to do their work this morning they had to dig out one of the control huts from snow this morning:

AND FINALLY - seems to be a lot this evening....

I have finally managed to finish the edit of the Bonneval heli trip that I organised and led down there a few weeks back.... I am pretty pleased with the result actually - hope you enjoy:

http://youtube.com/v/1gkwC3FRNq0
snow report
Even more interesting report than usual, Steve - and amazing pictures of those huts. You seem to be doing miracles with those little kids in such difficult conditions. snowHead
latest report
I am still reading the reports Steve and enjoying the resort vicariously I guess. No skiing for me until next year. Thanks again for my lesson. I look forward to putting the techniques into practice next year.

Anyway. Time to think of sunshine and beaches with the family while I quietly plan next years ski holiday with the lads.

Have fun when you get back to Blighty following the cricket team around.

ATB, Mike.
snow conditions
Great video sequence Steve - thanks for posting!
snow report
Getting our resort back from the wind gods

Well it was a bit of dejavu this morning when I opened the curtains.... wind and grey skies. However it was not as bad as it had been the last few days (well at least it didn't look that way.

I met as normal at the Savonnettes and the snow was a lot firmer than it had been as the temperature plummeted overnight (for this time of the year) to about -5 here in town and much colder up higher. Anyway the humidity of the snow meant that with the freeze it was a little bit of a skid pan on the roads and pavements etc. Also being in the shade there was no way the Savonnettes was going to soften up anytime this side of late afternoon at best. I was a little apprehensive that the kids would have a nightmare but to their credit they coped pretty well. Being day three with this age group I was confident that today would be breakthrough day and indeed by the end they were just about following me down from the top making linked and rounded turns BUT with the added benefit that if any of them fall over they can not get themselves up and if they loose control they can stop before killing anyone! So the parents were jolly happy when they came at the end to see the kids snaking down behind me from the top.... tomorrow it will be the Village lift for the first time and then perhaps (if the weather allows) up the mountain on Friday (if not then then in the final lesson on Saturday hopefully!).

I could see that there was limited opening of the lifts from the Savonnettes so I new there was strong winds up high once again - indeed 100km/h winds were recorded up the Solaise overnight. It looked as if the whole of the Fornet around to Solaise side was closed.... it could be a tough afternoon again. However I have to say that compared to some colleagues I have the advantage that I only need the Savonnettes for half the day. There are mountain guides out there really having to think outside the box to make it all happen.

So by the afternoon lesson I was happy to see that Solaise had opened. And just to prove it I made the trip straight up that way in the afternoon as soon as I met the client..... and got a photo!

The afternoon session was always going to be an interesting one as only one of the boys turned up (a bug is rife in their chalet apparently). So we headed up Solaise and were just discussing at the top what he wanted to get out of the session when his mate turned up (the boys are 14 but the parents seems to let them just get on with their whole day by themselves in terms of where they ski, eat and meet me etc). Apparently he was feeling a little better after all (but I could tell he was not 100% with it). We went for a cruise and I was happy to be actually be able to show them some of the resort for once.... however Paul was feeling worse again after about an hour so he peeled of.

They are staying in Laisenant so with Piste L closed (avalanche risk (surprise surprise)) we skied the Mattis.

Anyway later on we skied up at the Fornet and the snow was as good as it gets on the pistes up there. It was like a mid Winters day up there it really was and bodes well for the rest of the season!

It looks like conditions will improve over the next day or two so finally we can get skiing properly again - I hope anyway. It has been a tough few days.

I got a call from Admin this evening asking if I can teach on the EoSB in Val Thorens in a few weeks time.... so looks like I may be meeting more SH's then!

pam w and Mike-H (no worries re the lesson and good luck with the planning for next years trip) and lynnecha - glad you like the posting and videos etc!

TTFN
snow conditions
@Steve Angus, much the same in tignes. Not much open all this week until today but the wind has been horrendous but the links to val opened for a few hours this afternoon as did the funival to tbe grand motte.
We made the mistake of trying to avoid the wind first thing hoping he overnight freeze hadn't hit les brev but we were wrong. The red down was sheet ice and carnage all over the place with groups who were not prepared for ice.
Still me and my daughter enjoyed the challenge and enjoyed a nice hot chocolate on the bridge whilst watching one of the TDC instructors doing a beginners lesson.
Lets hope the weather forecast is correct for the remainder of the week as I want my wife and daughters to get a good tour of val rather than the few runs they have had a chance to ski here forn Tignes.
ski holidays
Loved the helicopter video @Steve Angus, .
Would be great to meet you at the EoSB! snowHead
snow report
Iski wrote:
Loved the helicopter video @Steve Angus, .
Would be great to meet you at the EoSB! snowHead
+1
ski holidays

A mixed day

I was shattered right from the offset this morning (must get an early night tonight) BUT it was obviously much better weather out there than it has been the last few days... in fact the sun was out, the chairs were on the Solaise and it was looking like a nice morning.

The kids were very excited as I had told them that I would take them on the Village lift if all things were going well and they behaved so they turned up on time. They did very well and had a whale of a time. In fact they hardly wanted to stop for a break.

Cutting a long story short they loved it.... skied and listened well and lets just hope for good weather tomorrow so that I can get them up the Solaise.

The mums were a little late picking up so I literally had 10 mins for lunch but not to worry. It had been a nice sunny and warm morning but unfortunately as forecast the weather was moving in and it looked like it would go the way of the last few days - shut down of many lifts! Hmm!

I arrived at the meeting point to the news that indeed one of the boys was still down ill but the attendee was super keen as the links over to Tignes was open and having not skied the EK before he asked for a 'tour' so off we set. The weather was not too bad in all fairness but it was certainly not as nice as it normally is at this time of the year.

About a quarter of the way through (lets call him Bob) I was informed that his stomach was a little all over the place suddenly - a dodgy lunch he thought. Anyway the next couple of hours were a mix of cruising around Tignes (as he still wanted to go on) with several loo stops. Anyway I think he was glad to get back to Val.

I was on pick up, tea, play, bath and bed duty this evening (the full monty) for Olivia as Clare was having a quick drink with one of our colleagues who is out here on holiday (as he is mainly based in the UK these days due to family commitments) and then was having a 'chat' with a hotel in La Daille about working there in the Summer.

Don't think there is anything else on the 'list' to chat about tonight so will make it a short one this evening!
ski holidays
Woops fell asleep!

So finally we awoke to conditions that resembled Spring time. It was a nice start to the day as I met the kids at the bottom of the Village lift. Already before the kids arrived there was a long line of little'uns queuing to be loaded with an adult on the Village lift - that is the problem during school holidays - it can take a while to get the kids up chairlifts etc.

Anyway we did a couple of warm up runs on the Village before the big moment of going up the Solaise.... there was lots of excitement and momentarily lapses of concentration so there was lots of reminding them to concentrate getting on the big lift etc and reminding of how to load on the lift etc. Anyway its always the case. But by pure coincidence they ended up loading (some of them) with their parents which they loved!

We had a great morning up Solaise and they even managed a couple of runs down Madelaine by the end - it was perfect conditions all round for their first trip up the hill and they performed well. The parents were suitably impressed and proud watching them ski down the Madelaine so it was good all round. We finished (a few minutes early so that I could get down the bottom for my next lesson) at the Ouillette as there was going to be a family lunch there.

At lunch I was peckish so I popped to the Sun Bar with some colleagues and we ordered a punnet of chips to go with our sarnies etc we had just eaten outside but the service in their is TERRIBLE and it took 20 minutes for a simple punnet of chips to come out the kitchen which is ridiculous - we ended up eating the chips quickly to say the least!

In the afternoon only one of the two boys arrived as the other was now ill (sounds like about 70% of their chalet has been affected this week at various times!). Anyway with the nice weather and a pent up demand for 'travel' I decided to blast it over to Tignes and down to Brevieires which would be my last trip down there this season - surely. We also did the Sache which he enjoyed but by the time we got to the bottom he had tired (understandably) legs and the slushy snow at lower altitudes did not help.

We came back via the Face and that topped off a fun week for him on the snow.

I was going to have a drink with a friend / client but he texted me mid afternoon to say he was feeling dodgy so I ended up having a drink at Blue Note with Mark from university days like the other day. That went on for a couple of hours and by the time I got home, had dinner (thanks Clare for a yummy Mexican feast last night!) I was already started to doze off..... and the rest is history until about an hour ago!

Looks snowy out there this am!

Recent sign of avalanche activity right next to the pistes - here on the Sache!
snow conditions

ROLL ON THE END TO THIS BLOOMING WEATHER - I've had enough of it

Yes once again it was looking pretty gloomy out there first thing... Clare and Olivia had a relaxing am / day whilst I headed out into the void! Anyway by action time it was slightly better and had stopped snowing but either way at least the high winds seem to have abated! The clouds were quite thin and multi-layered so there was lots of glimpses of the sun and either way it was not as if we were heading up the mountain into a white out.

Anyway the kids were excited to head up to another mountain and so we were off. They had a great time and we had a fun 3 laps on the Petit Cross up there which went down very well. Hot chocolate break at the Marmottes was nice but the kids ended up bickering about who had how many mini bars compared to the other which was tiresome but typical of kids I suppose sometimes!

By lunchtime it was starting to close in again but so be it. I had three nice people including someone who is BASI Level 2 and used to teach in Leysin in Switzerland - they wanted to work on their off piste. The cloud was at exactly the wrong altitude and the wind was a little swift but it was the fact that the snow was starting to fall again that was annoying... Anyway we had a great time and skiing Lievre Blanc amongst other places we found some good snow.

In local news: The town council met and discussed (many of these things have been on and off the agenda for a long time)
-A new proposal for a link up into the Maurienna Valley and the Bonneval-sur-Arc link - this has been talked about for a LONG time.
-A decision of what to do with the ugly concrete shell of building between La Daille and town - turn it into a 'chalet' / HQ for the ice driving and 'other' adventure sports down there is one possibility.
-Of particular interest and worrying from an instructors point of view is that it is being discussed to SCRAP alltogether the Terrase, Lac and Transcorde lifts from the top of Solaise as they work to put in the new magic carpet and then after that the new Solaise Gondola lift - which construction should start in the Summer for the 2016/17 season! The Solaise Cable car will be decommissioned!
-Interestingly a proposal is being tabled for a hotel to be built at the TOP of the solaise with a new restaurant - I have no details of where this will be BUT I am guessing it will be about 30 years until a decision is made which will be 'no' anyway!.
-The Snow Park on the Bellevarde - they are trying to outsource the running and maintenance of it as it is costing some €250k a year at the moment to run - so if they outsource it that will save loads of money but the question will be who will pay this bill now?
-Local taxes are NOT increasing - Yay!

Finally for today... I was sent this photo by one of my seasonnaires I took held-skiing - I have the power!

ski holidays
@Steve Angus, Love the photo! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy