Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
STILL SNOWING .... another 10-15cm here in town overnight! No sign of it stopping just yet a while.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve Angus wrote:
STILL SNOWING .... another 10-15cm here in town overnight! No sign of it stopping just yet a while.

And STILL it comes down. About 40cm since last night? Awesome day's skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JUST INCREDIBLE

This amazing start to the season continues apace!

So there had been about 10-15cm overnight in town and I swear it must have snowed the same amount again this morning and then the same amount again this afternoon - so another 30-40cm in the last 24 hours for sure..... looks like it is FINALLY clearing up out there.

The av risk went up to 4 today.

I had a lovely group of four adults this morning and they coped really well in some pretty awful weather it has to be said.... we rode the new Fontaine Froid lift a few times - it is SO quick and efficient and since it drops right by the top of the Olympic it will be very useful for teaching!

After lunch I took the 6 children of the two couples I had had in the morning out...... the kids ages ranged from 15 - 21 (mostly 18/19) and as you can imagine at that age there was little hanging around and they certainly did not want to hear me 'teach' to them....... alternative 'games' and competitions gets the message across as to how they need to improve their skiing. They did well and loved some of the tricks I taught them...... I definitely have them onside now as they are booked to spend a whole 7 hours day with me on Friday when I shall take them off piste and do things like the Vallee Perdue with them!

The weather really moved in this pm even though down at valley level it seemed nice and gentle the winds at the top were brutal.... so much so that when we got to the top of the Funi for our last run down Le Face into town we quite literally got blown back down the tunnel and just at that moment I saw Fab (the friendly pisteur) indicating that they had just closed the top of the mountain and ALL the lifts one by one had gone shut down...... when we got back to the bottom of the funi there were HUNDREDS of people queuing for buses back to Tignes and also back into town....... CRAZY!

This wind will not be good for the snow and stability up there! In fact there was a small slide across the road to Fornet this evening and pedestrians are not allowed to walk to Le Fornet! The road into Tignes is shut at the moment for avalanche clearance for a couple of hours and they are planning to heli bomb the slopes above the road into Val from the damn tomorrow morning at 9.30am which will require a 1 hour closure.

The view from the front of bus back into town this morning from La Daille - it only got worse after this. (NB Hope they sort the legal dispute over that ugly building on the left out this Summer and finally either knock it down or complete it).

I may (or may not) be late with my update tomorrow as tomorrow is Clares Eurotest day...... fingers crossed for it!!!!!!! I could be out celebrating from a very early hour - who knows!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steve Angus, looks very dramatic but it'll make for some awesome skiing when it calms down Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Angus, Good luck to Clare. Thanks for the great reports.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steve Angus, very best of luck to Clare!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Steve Angus, Wishing Clare the best of luck!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

when we got to the top of the Funi for our last run down Le Face into town we quite literally got blown back down the tunnel and just at that moment I saw Fab (the friendly pisteur) indicating that they had just closed the top of the mountain and ALL the lifts one by one had gone shut down...... when we got back to the bottom of the funi there were HUNDREDS of people queuing for buses back to Tignes and also back into town....... CRAZY!

who says there's no such thing as too much snow? Very good luck to Clare. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SHE PASSED..... off to celebrate double quick time...... she killed it by over 2 seconds I think - don't know exact times! Don't suppose will be posting my daily until tomorrow.....sorry!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steve Angus, Great result - well done Clare.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve Angus wrote:
SHE PASSED..... off to celebrate double quick time...... she killed it by over 2 seconds I think - don't know exact times! Don't suppose will be posting my daily until tomorrow.....sorry!

Congratulations to Clare. Enjoy your celebrations. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What great news. snowHead Made my day - and she didn't just scrape it, did she? Enjoy the celebrations; richly deserved.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Memo to Self - Never ski with Clare!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley . great news steve.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steve Angus, Well done her Very Happy
ski holidays
Steve Angus, Congratulations to Clare! snowHead
latest report
Well done Clare! Lets hope Steve has a few demi's and posts an update later tonight Smile
snow report
Congratulations to Clare - fab news snowHead Cool
snow conditions
Steve Angus, brilliant news! Many congratulations to her! Have a great evening. Very Happy
snow report
Well done!
snow conditions
Brilliant news Steve.... well done Claire!!!

Right. Now get pished Very Happy
snow conditions
Steve Angus, brilliant news , not a bad year, tv star and married on top of eurotest wow, what comes next year Smile
latest report
Congrats to Clare!

I've been looking out for that uniform Steve but haven't spotted you yet haha

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 20-12-12 16:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Congrats to Clare Very Happy
snow conditions
THANKS EVERYONE for your congrats towards Clare - she is CHUFFED as you can imagine. Thanks also for bearing with me as it has been a roller-coaster ride of 24 hours!

So yea quite an amazing 24 hours and year in total as Curtains said..... engaged, married, tv, Level 4 tech and Eurotest for Clare, the Olympics, finishing the school teacher stuff....... etc etc.!!!!!!!!

So yea about 11.30 yesterday morning I got the message through that she had passed. 2.7 seconds she got it by... almost got the boys time.... and it was not the cleanest run she tells me. It was a busy day as Tuesdays test had been cancelled because of bad weather so they had to run two tests yesterday.

Word spreads pretty quickly around a ski resort when one of its own gets the test! Lunchtime was a buzz as text messages and phone calls bounced around from person to person and between the UK and France, family and friends etc.

All those MONTHS AND MONTHS of work in the gym, eating very healthily and 5 weeks of race training (this Autumn alone), no alcohol since the wedding as well as all the other training / experience from previous years and tests was all worth it.

My afternoon lesson I could hardly contain my excitement (I new Clare would not be back til at least 5 as it would take 3 hours from Alpe d'Huez back to Val) and I could not wait to go out and party! Anyway the afternoon lesson was great fun.

The sun had been shining all day yesterday which made it just a perfect day all round....

- one happy camper

- Sian (Clares training partner who also got it) and Clare celebrate!

- after the heavy snow and the first bluebird day in a while the anticipation to get skiing in Val yesterday morning was massive for people....... it was BUSY to get up the Solaise / Bellevarde first thing.

So last night was a lot of drinking, celebrating and congratulating all round..... champagne anyone! Not really sure what happened apart from a very empty wallet this morning - ha ha!

So this morning it was back to grey skies and MORE SNOW.

I was teaching the same people as I had a couple of days ago this morning and we battled with the elements and they definitely made some great improvements....we gave up trying to work on carving as the light was just not good enough! Anyway the Arcelle was in fine form for working on short turns and we looped around and around!

After a carb filled lunch I (I won't lie) was quite happy to find out that my afternoon lesson had cancelled (injury) so I have been back home nursing Clares hangover and chilling out.

I had the greatest surprise of my life (well in a way) when there was a knock on the door this afternoon and (bearing in mind we are in a ski resort, its snowing outside) a couple of Jehovahs witnesses were outside................ well I never!!!!

So I should think it will be a nice and early night tonight and then tomorrow I am spending the day off piste with the 6 teenagers / guys in their early 20's group that I had the other day which should be a lot of fun. We shall have to see what the weather does etc but I have the Vallee Perdue, Tour de Charvet, Col Pers, Kern, Tongue of the (Tignes) Glacier in the planning.................... could be a fun day!

OK FOLKS ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS AND SUPPORT
latest report
Steve Angus wrote:
... there was a knock on the door this afternoon and (bearing in mind we are in a ski resort, its snowing outside) a couple of Jehovahs witnesses were outside

Laughing PMSL!
snow conditions
rob@rar, Steve Angus, The JW's are out in force all over the place.

What with the end of the world being tomorrow an'all it's a good time to get folk to buy their ticket to Heaven's equivalent of the Euro-Millions
snow report
What a very happy looking lady! Very Happy Fantastic news, congratulations to Clare! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Steve Angus wrote:
... there was a knock on the door this afternoon and (bearing in mind we are in a ski resort, its snowing outside) a couple of Jehovahs witnesses were outside

Laughing PMSL!

Likewise.

Were they wearing sandals..? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
FANTASTIC DAY but the resort is sad once again this evening

A lovely sunny day greeted Val d'Isere this morning and after the snow fall of the past few days it was going to be a great day. The teens I had today were very excited to have an adventure with me.

We had the safety talk and OP gear all handed out at the bottom of the Olympic and then we were ready to head off. I basically new that the kids wanted an 'adventure' and to ski 'properly' (i.e. not how they have to ski when around their parents!) so I had the day all planned out.

So by 9.30 when the safety talk was over we headed up Olympique and dropped off the side of the Verte for a warm up. This was followed by some GREAT tracks in the Jardins des Borsat (lovely snow).... we looped around on the Grand Pre for a lap before taking the plunge (well it was me taking the plunge really as I knew they would have to work VERY hard AND the discipline of the off piste was going to come into its own) and dropping off the back into the Tour du Charvet. Being teenagers they were always going to be happy pushing themselves and if needs be their slight lack in technique for the conditions (albeit they were skiing safely enough) would be made up by using brute strength. Anyway the Charvet was in perfect condition..... some great turns were made and even the steeper sections skied well. The snow was up to our thighs in places.

There were a few falls here and their but they managed well all in all. By 1 everyone was knackered and ready for some food so we took in a few turns under the Datcha lift and then had some grub.

The sun was still shining bright after lunch so a few turns from the side of the Glacier Express followed by secret glade and then into Super L and the guys were really getting into the swing of things!

Half way down the Super L we were 'joined' by a couple of Brits whom I overheard saying 'lets follow them.' It was obvious that they did not really know where they were going. So a quick word from yours truly along the lines of 'if you don't know where you are going then don't follow me as its dangerous and rude' and they skied off to find their own way down!

We just about had enough time to head back up the Olympique and do the Vallee Perdue which I must say was in the best condition I have seen.... plenty of snow and reasonably well filled in but hardly anyone on it..... perfect!

5pm and I handed them back looking tired and hungry - mission accomplished!

Got back home and had a quick change before heading out for a drink with Clare and catching up with the sad news of the death in the Grand Vallon. Apparently a fellow instructor (not TDC) had a client taken in a slide (very large 150m wide and 1.8m deep slide) in the Grand Vallon (about half way down in one of those funnells). 3 were taken (all wearing transceivers etc) and a 71 year old German died despite several people coming to help out at the scene of the accident, 6 pisteurs and sniffer dogs and a helicopter! He was 1.5m under the snow! So Val is this evening in shock....... this is on top of the guy over in Tignes still in intensive care after last weeks slide!!!!!!!! Avalanche risk 3/5 means CONSIDERABLE so please be careful out there.

The brand new TDC Ski 'How to Ski App' for the iphone has just been launched in time for Christmas so if you are looking for a last minute stocking filler then check it out:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/how-to-ski/id586536928?mt=8

Perfectly fronted by Giles and Paul.... more video's and apps will follow in the series!

Could be a busy transfer day tomorrow especially since more snow is forecast into the evening!
ski holidays
PHEW THATS THAT OVER....

This transfer is always the first shock to the system being the first mega-transfer day of the Winter season!

It was nice and clear on the roads (both the surface and the amount of traffic) as expected, all the way pretty much to Geneva. The queue to get across the border was quite long as they were doing random car drug checks etc but it all went smoothly really. I gave the car a massive clean in Bourg but as is always the case by the time I get to the airport it looks like it has not been cleaned for months - grrrrrrr!

Lovely sunrise and driving conditions.

By the time I got to Geneva it was CHAOS. The main outdoor car park (as I mentioned the other week) being closed meant that P26 and P31 parking were heaving and the queue to get in took about 30 minutes.... it did not help that there was a function on at the Arena so there were loads of people there for that!

Anyway I finally got in and found a slot.

Inside the terminal it was BUSY!!!!!

The incoming flight was delayed by 30 minutes but we hooked up finally............... when we got to the car I found that for some strange reason I could not open the box..... it was stuck shut....... the guests we have in this week are here for 2 weeks so it was tight squeeze, 3 of them and their luggage and skis for 2 weeks inside the car..... but we got there in the end - JUST!

The traffic on the way back was heavy so I took the back roads from just outside Moutiers.

All the time the weather was clouding over more and more and then the rain started and by the time we got to Bourg to do a short and smaller than normal food shop, it was snowing heavily!

When we emerged it was dark and chucking it down with snow..... it was going to be a hard climb up the hill.

As anticipated with lots of people who do not know the road, with it snowing heavily etc etc etc it took a long time to get up. Of course with our 4x4 and snow tyres the actual driving was easy but people with chains and driving at 2 miles and hour etc - it took a while.

Anyway we got there in the end.

It was straight back home and a quick change before our friends arrived for 'Strictly Finals evening!.' Clare had made fajitas for dinner so a few Christmassy glassed of champagne and good food with friends was a fitting end to the day.

It stopped snowing late last night and it is quite warm out there this morning but the sun is supposed to shine. I am due to be taking our chalet guests off piste this morning so better get going!
latest report
Steve Angus, sounds like a busy day. I'm off to Gva in a couple of hours - hope sunday is a little quieter, but am not hugely optimistic! Enjoy your Christmas week; Clare can have a few more drinks now! My niece, who arrived on Friday night at 2330 (when the airport was apparently heaving) has a friend who just passed the eurotest last week on her fifth attempt. It's a huge achievement.
snow report
Steve Angus wrote:
PHEW THATS THAT OVER....

This transfer is always the first shock to the system being the first mega-transfer day of the Winter season!

It was nice and clear on the roads (both the surface and the amount of traffic) as expected, all the way pretty much to Geneva. The queue to get across the border was quite long as they were doing random car drug checks etc but it all went smoothly really. I gave the car a massive clean in Bourg but as is always the case by the time I get to the airport it looks like it has not been cleaned for months - grrrrrrr!

Lovely sunrise and driving conditions.

By the time I got to Geneva it was CHAOS. The main outdoor car park (as I mentioned the other week) being closed meant that P26 and P31 parking were heaving and the queue to get in took about 30 minutes.... it did not help that there was a function on at the Arena so there were loads of people there for that!

Anyway I finally got in and found a slot.

Inside the terminal it was BUSY!!!!!

The incoming flight was delayed by 30 minutes but we hooked up finally............... when we got to the car I found that for some strange reason I could not open the box..... it was stuck shut....... the guests we have in this week are here for 2 weeks so it was tight squeeze, 3 of them and their luggage and skis for 2 weeks inside the car..... but we got there in the end - JUST!

The traffic on the way back was heavy so I took the back roads from just outside Moutiers.

All the time the weather was clouding over more and more and then the rain started and by the time we got to Bourg to do a short and smaller than normal food shop, it was snowing heavily!
Steve Angus,

When we emerged it was dark and chucking it down with snow..... it was going to be a hard climb up the hill.

As anticipated with lots of people who do not know the road, with it snowing heavily etc etc etc it took a long time to get up. Of course with our 4x4 and snow tyres the actual driving was easy but people with chains and driving at 2 miles and hour etc - it took a while.

Anyway we got there in the end.

It was straight back home and a quick change before our friends arrived for 'Strictly Finals evening!.' Clare had made fajitas for dinner so a few Christmassy glassed of champagne and good food with friends was a fitting end to the day.

It stopped snowing late last night and it is quite warm out there this morning but the sun is supposed to shine. I am due to be taking our chalet guests off piste this morning so better get going!

Steve Anugs thanks for all the information sharing. I will be picking up my brother in Geneva and driving to Tignes on 12 Jan, so that I could hand him to the TDC instructor. I was first worried about my brother starting skiing, but now it is Geneva airport and road to Tignes that worries me most. Finding parking will be a disaster - can I park further from the airport and direct my brother by foot? Aslo, what would be the best road to take on a busy transfer day from Geneva to Tignes. I will be relying on my TomTom, but if there is a better way, I will introduce intermediate destinations so to follow the best possible route. Cheers.
ski holidays
Is the savonnette drag lift in Val a good way to go to ski down to the main lifts, or is it better just to hoof it along the road? Thanks
ski holidays
mooney058 - don't know who
Quote:
Steve Anugs ...
is - ha ha. 'Hand him to the TDC instructor?' - who? 12th Jan is not too busy a day for travel since it is not peak season but the road will non-the-less be busy! You'll get parking easily if you come off at the airport slipway and head for 'P26' parking - it is by the 'Arena' centre and is easy to find as there are loads of signs.... just follow the signs - it is about 500 yards in a straight line from the terminal so not too far. From Geneva to Tignes..... route I take is NON motorway all the way.... so from Geneva Airport to Perly, over border, follow green signs (NOT blue signs (that is toll road) to Annecy) - ditto sam idea following signs to Alberville. When you get to Albertville giving 'back road' directions here on SH's will take hours so I am not gonna bother - just join the main dual carriageway - should not be too heavy that day! Good luck! PS It is 112 miles the route I just described - so you can see on SatNav the route!

Glenogle - coming from where? If there is a queue then it can take a few mins in which time you could have poled it over..... the Savonette drag lift is a novice lift so a) goes very slow with first timers and b) the queues can be quite big - everyone under the sun hates when people try and jump on half way if there are hangers free so don't do it. But it is quite a good way of gaining 50 yards in height to get to the Solaise Express etc. Personally i just pole it over below the ESF pen and up over the mound and down into the area at bottom Olympic.
snow conditions
Thanks for the quick response. Our chalet is supposedly 80m from said lift, so was just passing the day by looking at the pistemap combined with google earth
latest report
WARM!

It has been unseasonably warm today...... I don't think it got below zero (it still isn't now the sun has set) down in town at all and the snow that fell yesterday in the most part in town has turned to slush. Clearing the path this morning was easy though!

So I took the nice 20 year old son of our chalet guests up for a ski this morning and we had a real adventure. It was a strange day what with the temperature - a few clouds and at higher altitudes strong winds.

By about 10am it was really starting to brighten up and we made the most of some good snow off the side of the Glacier and Datcha Express and I had planned to head high up to the Pays Desert but the wind put a stop to that!

We did a couple of laps down the side of the Pyramids Express and into Sunny Bowl.... I did not fancy dropping into the Grand Vallon (party failing light as the clouds were rolling back in) and partly as a result of what happened in there the other day!

We tried secret glade and the Super L and to be honest it was a surreal experience - the first hundred yards was awesome snow. I had only skied in there a couple of days ago. Anyway by the time we got to the tree line (photo below taken as we came back up to give you an idea) the snow changed virtually instantly into frozen pellets or slush crust! - It was horrible VERY VERY suddenly:

...but that was not the worst of it - the heavy snow and warming meant that RIGHT under the lift, creep (full depth) was apparent. We moved VERY carefully and from point of safety to point of safety through the trees - the creep was widespread and there was several of them...... anyway we got back to the piste thankfully without any dramas but boy how 48 hours can change a snow pack at relatively shallow altitude and slope angle!

This was the view from the Laisenant Express on the way back up!

This afternoon I have done a few odd-jobs but to be honest the next 10 days is going to be so busy I have rested up!
latest report
Scary! Skullie
latest report
[quote="Steve Angus"]mooney058 - don't know who
Quote:
Steve Anugs ...
is - ha ha. 'Hand him to the TDC instructor?' - who?

Appologies for this - tried (unintentionally) to make your name more scandinavian Smile. Gavin will be the man to teach my brother (who never skied before) so I hope it will be OK, as during my brother's lessons I am planing to ski arround EK with some more advanced guys. My first visit to Tignes was 6 years ago and it was also my 'virgin' season. And now I consider myself a good skier and we even contemplate a trip to Chamonix to do the Vallee Blanche.

Thanks for the tips Steve Angus!
snow report
MERRY CHRISTMAS

Sorry the Christmas eve celebrations got my times all wrong!!!!!! So Xmas morning update will cover Xmas eve (and Xmas day!)

It was WARM yesterday.......... very warm..... too warm (indeed this am it is 5 deg c here in town) and that is at 8.30 in the morning!

Anyway I had a delightful 10 year old girl and her father yesterday morning - the emphasis is definitely on 'fun' with them as I have them every day this week apart from Xmas day.

In the afternoon I had his other daughter - a lovely little girl called 'cc' and she has skied a couple of times before (she is 'nearly' 5) and can just about hold a snowplough......anyway she was sooooooooooo excited about Christmas coming today.

In the evening it was a case of a few drinks at Blue Note followed by a movie back home.... just the two of us - first time in 6 years we have not had family here for Xmas, are not working on Xmas day and could both just take the time off.

So this morning Clare is busy prepping Xmas dinner (currently doing bacon and eggs), then we are off for a ski for a couple of hours, then xmas nibbles at Blue Note followed by dinner back here and present opening and then calling home.... all washed down the champagne.

On the snow front out there it is looking a little grey, warm as I said but the temperature is supposed to drop and we should see a little snow later this evening............ in general the temperatures are supposed to revert back to normal seasonal minus 5 / minus 10 over the next few days.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE..... more updates tomorrow
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy