Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To buy or not to buy

Poster: A snowHead
I did get my bindings fitted by qualified personnel in Belfast. What I meant was that I bought my skis before my boots so filarinski did not MOUNT the Bindings. However I am aware that once mounted the bindings need to be ADJUSTED with the boot skier in question present. Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edmundh009, OK, that's better! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Glad that make you happy rolling eyes . Cheers for the advice on going to macski. Muh better than topping leisure. I got some Diablo flame (softer flex than fire) boots for £189 (not a bad price). The guy did all those things important to getting a correct fit. ie:using ski socks, doing a shell fit, measuring feet etc. Got some Conformable custom insoles aswell. Would have been nice to stretch to the Hottronics ones though, but not really a neccesity . Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Renry....

Perhaps dont buy skis (well like said already, dont even dream about it!)..... but if you are dead keen you can always get your fix on the wide range of other 'toys' available Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Buns has a good point. I got a new ski jacket (sessions-very nice built in recco transponder) from Summits.co.uk . Some nice Goretex nice acg pants from Snowandrock. Some Goretex dakine gloves and some Wrist guards (also Dakine) from Ebay. The money soon adds up. REally Like my sessions jacket. You may find buying all this stuff woudl make you unable to buy a pair of skis anyway. Oh yeah got some nice Smith anthem regulator goggles. Well, I hope, Cos haven't got delivery yet. It becomes an addiction very quickly especially if your a gear junkie.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, No. I'm fed up of the Austrian ski instructors taking the p*ss. I think I must be the only person in the world to have pea soup coloured skis. Sad Still, I've learnt to ski with them Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just went on Filarinskis.com > Have no fear Line is coming out with a most hideous range of skies in all shades of green including the new shadow and Prophet http://www.lineskis.com/products/fat_prophet.php?navid=4
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, fun and stylish, is it? Perhaps something in the Elan Spice Series? Shocked wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, Shocked truly awful. How can they have those and the Black pearl in the same range Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex, Laughing At least you would be able to find them easily
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, have you seen the horror of the Blizzard X-Spit Passion? Epileptics beware!

I've heard that ski designers are basing these on men's ties, but I would've hoped not ones from the Salvation Army store.

srobbo, apres ski at the gipsy camp, then?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, Ooh wish I had'nt clicked on that link, put me off my breakfast Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As a huge generalisation, I would have thought that graphics on a ski were more important to female skiiers than male skiiers - so why are they so crap?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, Exactly!

What put Deb off many of the girlie specific skis was the so-called girlie specific graphics. She was really pleased that after all the ski testing that her new 'uns don't have pink graphics - calling them Burnin' Luv is bad enough.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I really don't like the pink stars on my Volkls - but they soon get a nice covering of snow on them Very Happy
snow conditions
comprex, They're a bit scary Shocked
latest report
marc gledhill, spyderjon, I quite like the Fischer Maunga(sp?). If you'll pardon the Americanism, it's just a question of covering all their bases, no?
ski holidays
comprex, covering their top sheet too looking at this site. snowHead

I know what you mean, but it seems that, again in general terms, most women skiiers don't like the graphics on most womens skis.
snow report
comprex, covering their top sheet too looking at this site. snowHead

I know what you mean, but it seems that, again in general terms, most women skiiers don't like the graphics on most womens skis.
snow report
Renry, First thing to note is that the skis you are/were looking at (Salomon Streetracer 6) are part of the budget lines of Salomon skis that are not regularly availbe in the UK. They are designed primarily for the cheaper eastern European markets. For example:
Compare the UK page: (no mention of Streetracer 6)
http://www.salomonski.com/uk/products/product_line.asp?n_typprod=Ski&idtp=3292
With the Russian page: (handily still in English) (lots of mentions of lower end products
http://www.salomonski.com/ru/products/product_line.asp?n_typprod=Ski&idtp=3292
Several UK online retailiers have been importing these cheaper models and selling them based upon the Salomon brand.

That said, that doesn't mean they're crap skis. Ski equipment is always 50% (or more) pure marketing. And as per cars many international resellers believe they can get more money from gullible British buyers. And at the level you're at, you probably wont notice the difference between a reasonable pair of skis and a brilliant one. I purchased a pair of Scrambler 33s (similarly a non UK model) from Oggie.co.uk (£150) as a present for a friend who'd only done 1 week of skiing, and they're great for him. I'd consider these in preference to the Streeetracers as they're a more all-round ski.

In terms of the buy versus rent. You're likely to spend about £60 a week in Austria hiring skis. So the £130 you're looking at spending, would pay for itself in almost 2 weeks - although you'll prob end up paying some servicing/transit costs + accessories (poles/bags). After 3-4 weeks if you're still keen and improving rapidly you'd prob want to upgrade, but you could prob sell them for £70+ at that point (given comments about Salomon and eBay).

In terms of what you should do, I wouldn't govern it by the financial. I personally think its more about preference. The sensible thing is probably to hire a few sets of different skis. Try things out, develop a bit more, and learn what kind of skis you like.

However, on an emotional level, there is something to be said for owning your own skis. Personally I bought my first pair of skis after one week. It means that you always know what you're going to get. If you go to xscape a lot, then any pair you buy will be considerably better than what you hire, and it will help you improve more. Some people (me included) also get a sense of utility from owning your own skis (having a known entity with you on the mountains, hugging them inthe summer snowHead)

I don't think you could go that far wrong either hiring skis or buying a pair of skis as per you're looking at.

p.s. in terms of DIN settings, there's nothing macho/good about having them set high. There was a major study done that showed setting DIN settings lower than normally advised helped reduce injuries.
ski holidays
kamikaze, thanks m8, a very interesting and informative post. I think what I will do is go for the hire route for now. When waying up all the costs involve (carriage, hassle taking them, carry bags, maintanance etc etc) im going to stick with hiring. If in the next four or five years time we have been on 4 or more ski holidays and I know what I realy want from a ski, then I may reconsider. But what I have read thus far suggest unless your a "hardcore, go skiing loads" type of person Its worth just hiring.

Ive got my boots, and I think I can starve off the cravings of having my very own skis, for now anyway.

thanks again for all the advice.

PS as for my ski setup. @ excape they set mine to 6 on a 150 ski. Im 5 feet 6 inch tall and weight 12stone 4. Am I running the correct equipment or should I use a longer ski etc

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 29-08-05 16:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Beginners tend to ski shorter skis. Bear in mind at xscape there is less variety in the conditions so you don't need an all-mountain ski. 150 is a little short for your size and weight but probably about right with ability. Still it is nice to have your own skis. You will probably be skiing around a 160 or more when in Austria. Din setting is right, even a din of 5 may be ok if my memory of the scale serves me right.
latest report
Renry,

I think you will love this sport so good luck with your trip. Sure to the first of many. Its all downhill then...!!!
snow report
kamikaze, (forgive me for following up to my own post Happy )
On further investigation it would apper that my comment about Eastern european skis isn't quite correct, as Salomon's French, German and Austrian websites also list the cheaper models.
Seems that Salomon either thinks British people will only buy the more expensive models (or that if they only offer us the more expensive models then we'll spend more money!). There is another argument that says UK ski sales are not big enough to justify importing the full range, however, UK ski sales must be larger in volume than say the Netherlands where the the cheaper models are also offered. Going through over half the countries, it would appear the UK is the only country listed where the cheaper skis are not availble!
ski holidays
kamikaze,

Well, we are known as treasure island in the motoring trade and we pay through the nose for everything else so why not skis..!!
snow report
Renry,

I think you're right to rent for a time. If your instructor's analysis of your skiing is accurate, then you're on a rapid learning curve, but it's probably a bit early to buy your own skis.

Renting gives you the oportunity to try a load of different boards, and try them out in a lot of different situations. You'll certainly meet challenges in Austria that you won't find in Castleford ( wink.

Play around until you find a pair that you fall in love with, and that suit the type of skiing you like most. Then buy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy