Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
especially those who have recently moved to the mountains eh paulio ? wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To my untrained eye it looks "about right" for this time of year, snow high up, not low down...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, it has been unseasonably warm in Austria. Freezing level still approaching 3000m in Ischgl for example (taking a keen interest as due there on 3rd Dec). Has greeny browny slopes where they are usually much whiter and snowier (I have a sad history of webcam watching throughout November). Surrounding glaciers look OK though and not a million miles away should the snow not arrive in the next 3 weeks. And of course the Weiss is available in all weathers Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timberwolf wrote:

The opposite is true I would have thought. Anyone living in the mountains is likely to be able to pick and choose when they go skiing, and thus even during a poor season would be able to eke out quite a few enjoyable days.

Whereas people who only have a normal week booked as a visiting tourist, especially those who have chosen to visit relatively early in the season, might be more inclined to experience anxiety.

Perhaps we should find some people who fit that description, and ask them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
an email alert reminded me that Mammoth opens its doors today... and they've got snow too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm in Les Arcs on 10th December and although I'm keeping a keen eye on the webcams I won't get worried about a lack of snow until the last week of November. Having observed early snowfalls for the past 5 years it is unusual for their to be a good base until the last week of November.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
smithski, best stay in Cas Vegas if it doesn't improve Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In Schladming on the 16th December. Web-cam currently displaying verdant green meadows. Locals are all saying it's nothing to worry about, so I won't worry about it (just yet).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Taken from a post in the weather thread...

Boredsurfing wrote:
Worth repeating my post here of the dates of the first lasting snowfall of the season in La Plagne Montalbert

Here are the dates of the first natural snowfall of each season for the last 6 years.

2005/2006 28th November
2006/2007 22nd November
2007/2008 7th November
2008/2009 29th October
2009/2010 11th November (Not 100% sure of this date)
2010/2011 16th November
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think we should repost that to every thread.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smithski, interesting chart here

http://www.igluski.com/austria/ischgl-snow-history_3688

09/10 and 10/11 follow a very similiar track....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Soon be plenty ..
http://hiver.isola2000.com/webcam

Temperatures dropping now ( you could still swim in 20+ degrees two weeks ago) ..... two-three weeks and well be ready to slide.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
for info, there is over 4 meters (400cm) of snow at altitude in the Serre Chevalier area at the moment.

Does that cover La Grave?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH wrote:
davidof wrote:
for info, there is over 4 meters (400cm) of snow at altitude in the Serre Chevalier area at the moment.

Does that cover La Grave?

No but they had 120cm at altitude. The big snow is on the border with Italy and the South side of the Swiss Alps, but really above 2500 m. It was 0C on the les Deux Alpes glacier today, 20C where I am in the valley. Very nice, got to do some painting.

You can easily go to the end of November with no snow. A couple of years ago I was BBQing on the 20th Nov. I never put the snow tires on until the 2nd half of November (obviously if it snowed earlier I would, but it doesn't).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are some heavy looking dark clouds out of my window this morning.

I wonder if there's any snow in them, or just rain. How can you tell whether a cloud has snow or rain in it?
snow conditions
Getting colder here in Champery and looking like there maybe the start of something falling middle if next week according to meteosuisse.ch Madeye-Smiley
snow report
paulio wrote:
How can you tell whether a cloud has snow or rain in it?

Stand underneath it Razz
snow conditions
paulio wrote:
Timberwolf wrote:

The opposite is true I would have thought. Anyone living in the mountains is likely to be able to pick and choose when they go skiing, and thus even during a poor season would be able to eke out quite a few enjoyable days.

Whereas people who only have a normal week booked as a visiting tourist, especially those who have chosen to visit relatively early in the season, might be more inclined to experience anxiety.

Perhaps we should find some people who fit that description, and ask them.

I have a week skiing booked in Chamonix 17th Dec... I'm not worried by the fact all the webcams are showing no snow.... It takes 1 night of snow to cover the mountain in white, if that doesn't happen, there's plenty of snow cannon's in the area and in 1 months time the temp will be right for them to be used... Therefore, nothing to worry about!

Think about the weather here in the UK last year.... Warm then "suddenly" in Dec, there was plenty of snow, hardly worth me getting worried with 5 weeks to go.
ski holidays
La plagne grande-rochette webcam now

http://laplagne.livecam360.com/grande-rochette/flash/main.php

and check out the historic images for this time last year....

time to pack shorts and tshirts?
ski holidays
Quote:

"Worrying" (of the hand-wringing kind) achieves nothing

Well, not quite. Worrying is a perfectly natural thing to do and plays an important part in human evolution; it heightens awareness and prepares one, mentally, in anticipation of something bad happening. The very ability to worry mirrors the very human ability to anticipate and plan.
snow conditions
junglist_matty wrote:

Think about the weather here in the UK last year.... Warm then "suddenly" in Dec, there was plenty of snow, hardly worth me getting worried with 5 weeks to go.

great for skiing on the South Downs
snow report
the snow was well early here last year, i was sking Zugspitze in October..and we had a foot of snow on the patio on the 26th november..but then nothing much more came all season..so happy if its late and comes during the season.

off this afternoon to go snow hunting in Austria for the weekend, so will see whats what.
snow conditions
For God's sake Dr John will you PLEASE stop worrying!
ski holidays
Will someone with access to YouTube (Damn this web proxy!!!) PLEASE post a link to the Panic attack scene in Airplane.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
Well, not quite. Worrying is a perfectly natural thing to do and plays an important part in human evolution; it heightens awareness and prepares one, mentally, in anticipation of something bad happening. The very ability to worry mirrors the very human ability to anticipate and plan.

Ey? Hows being worried about it not snowing going to heighten your awareness? ....You're a strange character indeed!
snow conditions
paulio, I CAN'T, I WAS BORN THIS WAY.
latest report
Relax the snow will arrive.

I'll be in Val D'Isere in 4 weeks, I'm relaxed. This is normal.
ski holidays
In order to avoid worry you can just book yourself a weeks holiday in Tamworth in a hotel 100m from the Snowdome.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They were hanging out the flags today in St. Johann...

...and that must mean that the snow's coming.

I'm so convinced that I went and bought new skis Very Happy
ski holidays
I have officially upped the Snow Concern Alarm from Green to Amber. No new snow forecast in Val Thorens for the next 7 days...

I was all bravado and pretending not to be worried, but there is only so much drinking a person can do in a week. Still, I guess there is always poker. And more drinking. And charades. And drinking. And a swimming pool. And drinking.

So it is basically snow or I'm going to need a dialysis machine for Xmas. Those are the choices. I AM THE WEATHER MONKEY AND YOU WILL SNOW DAMN YOU! SNOW YOU PESKY CLOUDS!
snow report
espri, snow... bottom left... gotta be at least 1mm Wink
snow report
espri, is that a little patch of frosted grass in the bottom left hand corner that looks as though it might still be in shade?

Is it.... just... a.... sign... of... winter?

I'll take anything rolling eyes Puzzled wink snowHead
snow report
MoodyFFS, beat me to it!
snow conditions
robboj, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
robboj wrote:
espri, is that a little patch of frosted grass in the bottom left hand corner that looks as though it might still be in shade?

Oops, I shouldn't have let that show - I wanted to keep all the snow for myself Laughing

Actually, I was up at about 1400 metres this afternoon and on the shady side it is cold enough (streams freezing in places). But the car thermometer read 7°C on the way up the hill and not a flake of snow to be seen. What we need is precipitation but that isn't forecast for here in the next days either.
snow conditions
Monium,
Quote:

or I'm going to need a dialysis machine for Xmas.

hum why dialysis that is the kidneys nothing to do with drinking, its your liver your should worry about on that score, cheers another red wine for me then wink
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
Monium,
Quote:

or I'm going to need a dialysis machine for Xmas.

hum why dialysis that is the kidneys nothing to do with drinking, its your liver your should worry about on that score, cheers another red wine for me then wink

Well there's £5K wasted on ebay - anyone know whether a liver transplant is available on the NHS? I'd like the liver from a veal calf - I reckon they'll be big enough to cope with the workload over the next few years.
latest report
I'm thinking of changing my ID to Corporal Jones. Those who are familiar with Dad's Army will know exactly where I'm coming from
snow report
dsoutar wrote:
I'm thinking of changing my ID to Corporal Jones. Those who are familiar with Dad's Army will know exactly where I'm coming from

What has "they don't like it up 'em" got to do with snow wink
snow report
Don't tell him, Pike!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy