Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
In the French Alps near Chambery.

FL went back up to 2000m overnight. Possibly 10-15cm total @2000m and I can only see snow on the ground from 1800m.

Sunday/Monday's weather front looks much less active now. So I don't think we're looking at a game changing snowfall by Monday night. Enough to whiten up the high altitude resorts like Tignes and make the runs where they've laid down man made stuff a bit nicer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OMG there's no snow, unless you're in England. Weardale ski club apparently opened yesterday (for a couple of hours).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes Le Lac 2100m
Amount of fresh snow 5 cm
Amount of total snow 10 cm
Wind speed 20 km/h
Wind direction NW
Visibility 25 %

Grande Motte 3300m
Amount of fresh snow 10 cm
Amount of total snow 40 cm
Wind speed 70 km/h
Wind direction NW
Visibility 25 %

Quality of the snow Soft
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be honest 5cm at 2100m doesn't sound like its a season changer just yet - dust on granite?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, If I knew how to post a picture on here I'd show you a pic of our Terrace in Tignes Les Boisses this morning ... a bit more than 5cm I think you'll find!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
fatbob, If I knew how to post a picture on here I'd show you a pic of our Terrace in Tignes Les Boisses this morning ... a bit more than 5cm I think you'll find!!

which is great because Boisses is down near the dam isnt it?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow falls have reached 30cm across many resorts with up to another 50cm predficted for the next 48 hours. Certainly more than 5cm in Tignes more like 15 in Le Lac at 2100m.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
James the Last wrote:
there's no snow, unless you're in England.

I know that you lot in England are enjoying deep fresh powder this morning but for some of us, that journey south to your snowy mountains was just too far unfortunately, so we just had to make do with poor alternatives in Scotland .

Glencoe yesterday ...

[/b]
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross, wow, that looks proper gnarly
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross, awesome snowHead snowHead Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Morrissey wrote:
Snow falls have reached 30cm across many resorts with up to another 50cm predficted for the next 48 hours. Certainly more than 5cm in Tignes more like 15 in Le Lac at 2100m.

that's what Tignes are claiming, maybe the first time the tourist office is underestimating its snowfall figures ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowing around (but in lol) Innsbruck today.

This is the middle station at Nordkette - yesterday the entire mountain, even the top was completely bare (not even patches of snow):
http://www.nordkette.com/en/cable-railways/webcam.html

Patscherkoffel on the other side of the city looks to be doing pretty well too, well Axamer Lizum certainly looks to be getting the goods:
http://webtv.feratel.com/webtv/?bgcolor=3DB3DD&cam=5510&lg=de
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This thread can be put to rest and die a horrible death. The snow came so screw you haters snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
surfstar, well said snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh theres life in this old dog yet, i mean, it hasn't snowed EVERYWHERE yet has it. Plus there is the enough to last until <insert> gets away. Will it last? Will it rain? Will it compact into a good base. This thread could run and run! Twisted Evil
snow report
All this fearmongering has driven down prices enough that I have just this minute booked 2 into a Verbier catered chalet in 10 days time with flights from Glasgow & our ski carriages for (actually it's rude to say) each. wink

It's snowing there now but it's just about to seriously dump in SW Switzerland.

So thanks everybody & remember to do it all again next year. Laughing Little Angel
latest report
surfstar wrote:
This thread can be put to rest and die a horrible death. The snow came so screw you haters snowHead

In Lancing?
snow report
went to school there... Cool
snow conditions
The Glencoe photo above is still better than anything else I've seen posted from Europe yet this season. Bar raised.
snow report
moffatross, enjoy!!!

who did you book with?
snow report
surfstar wrote:

Oh I'm sure the marsh dwelling troll will be along soon to tell us that it's still a right of this season and this is just a conspiracy by resorts to get us to go and it hasn't actually snowed
snow conditions
moffatross, Are you on your new White Dots ?
snow report
It felt cold enough for snow in lancing but im happy with a frost.

Forecast looks great for everywhere which is good enough to close this baby down. Come on Admin lets shut her down and walk away like it never happened
snow report
Quote:

Forecast looks great for everywhere

Balderdash.

Even if everywhere had plenty of snow now, or forecast in next few days, that wouldn't mean it'd still be there in late January, or February, etc etc, does it? The forecast that this thread will run and run is probably more reliable than most of the other forecasts, that's for sure!
ski holidays
shoogly, found the place elsewhere & then booked it direct with Crystal. PM me for the dirty details but if the snow comes to Verbier in the volume my weather eye senses it will, it will be a very, very good deal. Very Happy

Cynic, no WD's, my new skis are powdairs so the only white dots I'll see are going to be in front of my eyes I hope. I think long, fat WD planks might overpower (break) Dynafit bindings anyway Laughing
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Balderdash.

Even if everywhere had plenty of snow now, or forecast in next few days, that wouldn't mean it'd still be there in late January, or February, etc etc, does it? The forecast that this thread will run and run is probably more reliable than most of the other forecasts, that's for sure!
#

doom and gloom returns to the thread. Balance is resumed...
snow report
pam w, this thread will run and run, too many (including me) obsessed and trying to do real work (needed to pay for trip) but can't help themselves lokking at webcams etc.
snow report
moffatross wrote:
I think long, fat WD planks might overpower (break) Dynafit bindings anyway Laughing

They might break your legs first !!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

doom and gloom returns to the thread

surfstar, if you think gloom and doom can be dispelled by making inaccurate statements for which you have no evidence, think again..... wink
ski holidays
Cynic, no WD's, my new skis are powdairs so the only white dots I'll see are going to be in front of my eyes I hope. I think long, fat WD planks might overpower (break) Dynafit bindings anyway Laughing[/quote]

You won't be able to break your dynafits unless you crash hard enough to break yourself, and or ski with the toes locked in touring mode

Skiing dynafits locked in tour mode has already cost one friend her season this year - got away lightly ACL rupture - saw 2 Tib Fib fractures from the same mistake last year!
ski holidays
davidof, Idris, you'e right about that but I'll never purposely lock the toes & the heels together. I'm still building trust in my Dynafits though but as they've not let me down in any snow condition; deep powder, sastrugied, rutted boilerplate etc, maybe it's just psychological. It was just when I had my skis next to these big boys (top photo) in spyderjons' workshop ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=81798

... that I thought Dynafits ... on them ? Nah !! Laughing
latest report
I think the traditional response to people worrying about dynafits is to post a clip of Eric Hjorleifson in action. Admittedly, he's not like normal people but take a look at this:

http://youtube.com/v/NYvM6j56IBk

The pillow lines stuff in the first half is all done on dynafits, I believe.

No idea what he's skiing on (4frnt ehp?), but it looks to be ~110mm waist as it barely fits in the extra wide brakes you see in the first few seconds. Not quite redeemer sized, but...

edit: Eep, didn't know youtube links got magically expanded and embedded. Didn't want to make the doom and gloom thread worse by posting things of better weather in the past Smile
snow conditions
That man is completely crazy. It's inspiring.
ski holidays
Cheer up everyone... snowHead

http://www.valdisere.com/gb/val_d_isere/webcam/webcams.php

VT has loads of skiers on it. Madeye-Smiley

http://livecam.valthorens.com/index.php
latest report
Harry Flashman wrote:
That man is completely crazy. It's inspiring.

Agreed. Very Happy

OK Serriadh. Shocked I probably won't break mine then. Laughing
latest report
I snapped an ankle on locked down dynafits in the dim and distant past, but between breaking an ankle and falling over a cliff I think I'd choose the snapped ankle. It wasn't even painful at the time but gives me no end of grief these days.

The Dynafit breakage issue highlighted all over the Interwebs last season was with the FT12 I believe and appeared to be a design issue - the so called "free touring" FT12 had a baseplate which is purely cosmetic but stresses the front toe piece so the unit is probably weaker than a base TLT. A triumph of marketing over engineering (did someone say inverse sidecut at the back wink ). Add a dose of user error (hard charging mad freerider skiing everywhere with the toe piece locked down) and it was a recipe for disaster.

I will mention this though. The one thing you have to be really really careful about with the Dynafits, beyond correct setup, is icing in the front lugs of your boot. Even a small amount of frozen snow / ice can cause prerelease. This can easily happen if you take your skis off at some point. I know one person who probably died from this (prerelease on steep terrain) and I had a really nasty prerelease last year on frozen snow above a cliff band which I think was for the same reason.

This is no criticism of Dynafits which I've done hundreds of days skiing on over the last decade, it is a user error.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
This is no criticism of Dynafits which I've done hundreds of days skiing on over the last decade, it is a user error.

And thank goodness for web resources especially the wildsnow website http://www.wildsnow.com/ and its tutorials. It taught me to make it habitual to always clip toe in, lift foot of the ground & let skis waggle up & down a few times, grinding any snow out of the slots before stomping your heels in. This is great, changing the nature of the thread to posting great videos, talking about skiing & stuff & not whingeing about a lack of snow. Which there obviously isn't. wink Laughing

I wonder if we can trash the 'Europe 2011/2012 is a write off' thread too. Toofy Grin
latest report
Chamonix has got nearly a meter of snow forcast over the nxt two nights at 1500m. Things are looking up.
snow conditions
Don't panic!! Dont panic!! temps are meant to go back up into double figures again later this week, so the complaining about lack of snow can start again Laughing
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Balderdash.

Bet you told your kids there was no Santa too...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy