Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
For once, and only once, I have to agree with stanton. I've experienced Hintertux when you basically got off the lift at the top to join the queue...

Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but you get the idea.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So I'd rather spend €1,000+ of lift pass, ski hire and lessons on car hire and abandon the skiing...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just cancelled my trip to Wengen for Christmas as the prospect of having to pay to ski on a thin strip of artificial snow is not worth contemplating.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welove2ski.com reporting as much as half a meter falling in next few days and snow line down to 1000m by Monday. Meteo Chamonix apparently backing this forecast:

http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=520
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It a toss up between this and the weather outlook thread as to which is the most amusing , on one hand we have a site where people sort of predict what's going to happen with the weather(snow) and ones who have decided that it,s never going to snow, all I know is the one where they predict is slightly ahead of omg in pages completed but to be fair the weather outlook does include lots of visual graphs. Bring on the snow

Ps the race began when omg started , I think There,s only a page in it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We did Pitztal and kaunertal glacier a few weeks ago and it was already really busy..most of poland and the czech rep. seemed to have driven down for the weekend.

see what tomorrow brings, looks promising higher up where its colder.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sunday an Atlantic front will roll in. Monday will see a big drop in temperature. Rain & Snow Showers.

0.5M is optimistic & will be sporadic over the Alpine region. Certainly not enough for the holiday period.

With the temp drop the snow guns can work 24*7 next week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stanton wrote:
Sunday an Atlantic front will roll in. Monday will see a big drop in temperature. Rain & Snow Showers.

0.5M is optimistic & will be sporadic over the Alpine region. Certainly not enough for the holiday period.

With the temp drop the snow guns can work 24*7 next week.

If they dont run out of water! Think some alpine reservoirs are running low in France.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Glacier skiing.....is a nightmare, everyone will have to line up for 2-3 hrs (not uncommon) to get up the hill, then possibly only get one or two runs in before having to line up for the transportation down.
did that once, about 18 years ago, for a week in late season at Zell am See. Up earlier and earlier to get up the glacier at Kaprun. I now look back on it with almost nostalgia!

In my book, any skiing is bettter than no skiing and - as the Ski Scotland brochure used to say in the jam packed 1990s - "Queuing for a ski lift on a weekend is better than queuing in a supermarket"!!!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 1-12-11 23:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict wrote:
In my book, any skiing is bettter than no skiing and - as the Ski Scotland brochure used to say in the jam packed 1990 - "Queuing for a ski lift on a weekend is better than queuing in a supermarket"!!!

That should be stuck on a big banner and pinned up above the funicular base station entrance at Cairngorm during busy periods Wink

Speaking of which word has it that Sunday might be opening day at Cairngorm, ops meeting tomorrow, the top runs have big drifts on them that when bashed out should give some decent pistes. Hangers going on the tows today and more snow forecast over the next week, not as much in the east as the west it has to be said but Cairngorm generally needs less to get going than say Glencoe (which is already starting to look pretty loaded in places).

Both Cairngorm and Glencoe have just taken delivery of some Techno Alpin snowmaking kit and there's a technician over for the next few days to advise both ski areas and help get the snowmaking effort underway. Hopefully the Cairngorm one given it's siting near the new water sump at the Sheiling can help laying down a base in the Gunbarell which will help to facilitate top to mid station sliding.

So c'mon folks cheer up, it's not all bad snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
looking good up north, cant wait. planning a lads few days up glencoe & nevis on the 17th dec for 3 days skiing. weather and snow permiting, but at the min its looking like its gonna be on the cards Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
depthjunkie, Glencoe were already planning to open on the 17th based on use of the new snow cannon (mentioned above). I believe the plan was to lay down enough machine made snow on the lower slopes to at least open them but now with a fair amount of the natural stuff already building up and a lot more forecast for the west it's looking like you may have a good chance even without snowmaking. One thing to bear in mind is given the very rough terrain on the upper mountain at Glencoe (which is what makes it such a freeride paradise) they need a lot more snow to build up before opening than Cairngorm so there's no guarantee there will be enough but it's certainly looking hopeful snowHead

The backs at Nevis are apparently filling up nicely too but not so sure about the front side, who knows though with all the snow forecast for the west!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I've experienced Hintertux when you basically got off the lift at the top to join the queue...
Puzzled Puzzled Funny that.....when I was there 2 weeks ago I just got out of the top lift and skied down Toofy Grin

I'm being facetious - I know that what you meant was get out of the gondola at the Tuxer Fernerhaus and join the queue. That definitely used to be the case when the only lift from there was the old, slow, 2 person chair - but the last section of the Gletscherbus gondola has just about put paid to that. When we were there they were testing a new jumbo gondola that replaces the aforementioned two person chair - so that really will blitz the queues to get up the mountain from tuxer Fernerhaus Smile .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forget the charts, forget the forecasts, today saw the clearest sign that cold weather is on the way... my dashboard flashed up with the warning "LOW OUTSIDE TEMP" for the first time this winter!

And people... the Qashqai never lies!!! snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
According to Meteo Chance it is supposed to be snowing outside now....

nope still sunny but a few clouds, which we've not seen for weeks, I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of snow later
ski holidays
Sky over Annecy is starting to look threatening, and I'm regretting the fact that the coat I've worn to work doesn't have a hood.
latest report
paulio wrote:
Sky over Annecy is starting to look threatening, and I'm regretting the fact that the coat I've worn to work doesn't have a hood.

[/firstworldproblems]
ski holidays
France is 'second world' at best.
latest report
If it does snow soon we can move onto the volcano doom again - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15995845
snow conditions
In the light of the current meteorological situation, Ski Austria has published photos of skiing activity at Haiming in the Inntal, to convince punters that there is a great season ahead.
latest report
espri wrote:
In the light of the current meteorological situation, Ski Austria has published photos of skiing activity at Haiming in the Inntal, to convince punters that there is a great season ahead.

For sale, slightly used skis...
snow report
bit warm for snow at the mo I'm afraid, there is a strong S wind and it is 7C at 1800m Sad, maybe Monday?

Putting some positive spin on this, it is probably just the traditional start of season foehn that ruins all the november snow and dashes our hopes for Christmas, as there isn't any snow we don't have any hopes to be dashed.

Much colder in the Pyrenees with a good chance of low altitude snow and it looks like the Haute-Savoie might catch better weather than further south.

keep calm
and carry on

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 3-12-11 12:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
harrim51 wrote:
espri wrote:

For sale, slightly used skis...

Face-shots not such a good thing there! Shocked
ski holidays
Just had 5 perfect days on the glacier in Val D' the sky has been blue horizon to horizon for the last 4 1/2 days with a bit of cloud comming in from the italian side late on today.

The runs from the Glacier down are in perfect condidtion.

The mid station runs here are ok but there are some horrible stone riddled areas and some very thin patches on busy areas. They have pushed what little snow onto the tracks but they are still awful.

The forcast is saying possible snow tommorow but the locals think Tues may be a better bet.

Some great skiing to be had but you have got to go high and dont bring your new skis Very Happy
snow conditions
The good news is that the heaviest band of precipitation is looking like it's going to hit the French Alps (which is where I'm going next, he says selfishly) overnight sunday/monday so that should mean that it falls as snow not rain. Smile
snow report
Bad news: Freezing level still forecast at over 2000m in France Sad
Good news: 40+cm of snow forecast at the top in Tignes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
More good news: Scotland looking promising for us to pop up next weekend - weather permitting.....
latest report
Quote:

so that should mean that it falls as snow not rain

if we're lucky..... shh. Don't tempt the weather gods with your bravado. wink
snow report
FL around 1600m now but rain has stopped in the Grenoble region. There is maybe 2cm at 2000m now.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weather change in Innsbruck today - temperature's dropped and the clouds are moving in and blanketing the mountains. Doubt it's snowing up there yet (I'm stuck in the library), but give it a day or two...
snow conditions
Here are some pics from the Grande Motte yesterday and Val Claret this morning. Definitely the first proper-looking weather for a month. Fingers crossed that next week will bring what forecasts indicate...

http://morethanskiing.wordpress.com/2011/12/03/31211-something-is-falling-from-the-sky/
ski holidays
MountainMaid, not on every thread please hun
snow report
Sorry red 27, trying to be helpful ... and thought non PSBers might like to see what they're missing!
ski holidays
I have just got a text from my mate in Tignes and although there is snow on the glacier there is none in Le Lac.She said she has never seen so little snow in any resort. Consequently, I am worrying as I go to the Dolomites in 10 days.if I had wanted a walking holiday that's what I would have booked !!
ski holidays
Pansy Potter, it was snowing lightly in Tignes Val Claret as the early PSB departure bus left for Geneva.
latest report
Pansy Potter wrote:
I have just got a text from my mate in Tignes and although there is snow on the glacier there is none in Le Lac.She said she has never seen so little snow in any resort. Consequently, I am worrying as I go to the Dolomites in 10 days.if I had wanted a walking holiday that's what I would have booked !!

Didn't realise Tignes was in the Dolomites...
snow report
snow in val disere at resort level on web cams
ski holidays
Quote:

Didn't realise Tignes was in the Dolomites...

Only rarely would there be as much snow in the Dolomites as in Tignes. wink
snow conditions
Clarky999, didn't they teach you anything in school ?
ski holidays
snowing / sleeting at 1300 m tonight, could be 30cm on the ground at 2000m tomorrow, however it has snowed nothing like that in the French Alps yet. If we get the same over Sunday/Monday it will at least mean the higher altitude resorts can start the season in reasonable condition.
ski holidays
davidof,

Where are you located !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy