Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

is it too early for the "Omg no snow" thread?

Poster: A snowHead
I worry about you lot
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w I think the whole concept of "worry" is due to uncertainty. Thus there is no point worrying about something that you could be more certain of, or influence the outcome in some way such as the examples you give. However, with regard to an event or outcome that is uncertain (such as the weather) over which you have no control it is perfectly OK to worry about it.

Perhaps "concerned" rather than "worried" would be a better reflection of the examples you give. Am I concerned that I might get fat if I carry on like this? Yes - I'll do something about it or no, so I'll carry on.

Am I concerned that there is no snow where I have booked to go in 4 weeks time? Yes but I can't do anything about it so I will worry about it. No - carry on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It had better snow as I have just booked us for Feb half term and whilst driving down in the sunshine is nice I would prefer white stuff on the ground when we get there.

As pam w, says though. Worrying achieves nothing, yet.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SMALLZOOKEEPER: Where do we find the long range forecast that you refer to?? Are you saying its looking good for November?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skinutter wrote:
given up thinking about winter this year, holiday cancelled, ski's sold, winter tyres ebay'd and roofbox about to be.

Season has been ruined - i'm going to focus on golf now - global warming in full effect

Twisted Evil

Don't cancel just yet then....if there's no snow the summer golf courses in Chamonix, Verbier and Zermatt might stay open
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I'm still paying a lot of attention to how much snow there is and how that compares to previous seasons, I'd guess a lot of people are the same.

I would probably be doing that if there was any evidence that the amount of snow around in early November has any predictable relationship with how much will be around later.

Other people will be watching how early the snails are hibernating, or how some old farmer's cows are ruminating, or starting threads on Snowheads.

The only thing worth doing, really, is to read the weather thread and follow the arguments there - and if those who know say they don't know - then believe them.

You can dance, obviously, goes without saying. And it's much better for you than worrying.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, What a spoil sport.

I'm sure we all know that worrying about snow in November is nonsensical, but it is fun and all part of the build up to the ski holiday. All the worry and apprehension just adds to the excitement when you check the webcam and its white for the first time, when the snow depth on Jan 1 is already 1.2m at the peaks, when the forecast 2 days before you leave shows a dump is due, when the transfer bus starts heading up the valley and you hit the snow line, (or even better when you get off the plane and there is snow on the ground), when you see skiers sliding down the white pistes.

All the worry now sets up that excitement.

Where would the fun be in arriving in resort and blandly exclaiming "snowy again, just as average conditions at 1800m would suggest for this time of year"
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flet©h, well of course, if you enjoy worrying, then it's a really good idea! But what you mean is not "worrying" (as in any conventionally accepted definition) but "excited anticipation" - something quite different. I entirely agree that for every week's holiday you spend skiing, you spend many happy weeks anticipating, planning, doing lots of lunges and squats and poring over the piste map. That's not worrying, though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, It's a bit like "Back to the Future" with less bullying and over Sepponess.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, If you don't worry then your don't get the sudden rush of adrenaline that is released as soon as some of that worry is released.

Its not the worrying that is enjoyable but the removal of the worry. If you are just matter of fact and rational about everything then that never happens.

I suspect when that first big dump arrives and doesn't melt you still get that frisson of excitement, if so then despite the outward rationalism, deep down your still had a tingle of worry that it wouldn't come. If not then what a shame.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bobmcstuff, Optimism, thats the ticket!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
my first ever ski trip I never even considered looking at webcams beforehand as I blindly assumed "its February there'll be loads of snow, its the Alps". When I got off the plane at Salzburg I nearly freaked and kept asking my mates where's all the snow. They kept saying don't worry about it all will be good. 1 1/2 hrs later pulled into St Johann in Tirol and still very little snow in the village so I'm on a right downer.

Walked up to the lift to get skis & boots sorted and then saw the mountains and pistes in all their glory. Even with what would have been a bad snow season the pistes were well cared for and skiing was great!

However I am now firmly addicted to watching webcams and checking the forecast just so I can build up the excitement.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flet©h, you have me all wrong. I would defy anybody to get more excited than I do about snow. Even though I spent most of the winter in the mountains I look out of the window every time I get up to pee in the night - and have been known to wake up the OH with my squeaking, if it's barrelling down outside. The fact that I haven't spent the entire autumn gnawing at my fingernails and faffing doesn't diminish that excitement by one iota.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
for info, there is over 4 meters (400cm) of snow at altitude in the Serre Chevalier area at the moment.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
I look out of the window every time I get up to pee in the night and have been known to wake up the OH with my squeaking, if it's barrelling down

Waaayyyyyyy TMI
latest report
http://pistehors.com/news/forums/viewthread/1042/
latest report
I just don't care - I skied in Easter this year in the worst season I can remember - but I still had a great holiday
snow conditions
davidof, stop it, I'm reeling them in, hoping for at least 3 pages
latest report
sugardaddy wrote:
davidof, stop it, I'm reeling them in, hoping for at least 3 pages

but it is all blocked on the wrong side of the Galibier, can't get north
snow report
Did anyone see that caterpillar on Frozen Planet that kinda dies every winter then mysteriously comes back to life with the thaw? Amazing. It was very snowy in Antarctica.
ski holidays
pam w, It's different if you effectively live in the mountains. I imagine the excitement then is kind of like that magical feeling you get when it's snows at home. The child like joy of waking up in a white wonderland.

But when you are going on holiday it's different. Deep down you know the snow is there. But you need it to be "good" snow, you need it to be there when you get there and the joyous relief when you get there is fuelled by the tinge of worry and doubt that exists before you arrive.
snow report
pam w wrote:
The only thing worth doing, really, is to read the weather thread.

That isn't worth doing either.
snow report
leedssteve wrote:
Did anyone see that caterpillar on Frozen Planet that kinda dies every winter then mysteriously comes back to life with the thaw? Amazing. It was very snowy in Antarctica.

when a normal caterpiller turns into a butterfly it must effectively die then be reborn as another animal ? I can't imagine the thing wakes up and says "bug me, me legs have turned into huge wings, cool, and to think, I was just taking a little nap coz it was getting a bit chilly"

is this caterpillar dead or just in suspended animation (like some of my co-workers) ?
snow conditions
My biology is a little rusty, but as far as I'm aware dead things don't come back to life.

Unless you read this out loud: "Tantir-ah-mis-trobeen-ha-zar-ta. Tantir-man-ov-mis-hazen-sober. Kanda! Kanda! Kanda!"
snow conditions
The weather thread is gibberish with more three letter acronyms than we have at work. Populated by a mix of those who want to look clever saying how they can't predict the unpredictable but giving lots of meaningless odds based on their supposed understanding on various models and their incredulous admirers.

Mind you doesn't stop me looking at snow forecast and the webcams several times a day. Oh and reading the weather thread.
ski holidays
Still only on page 2, come on people, it still. hasn't snowed yet
latest report
yeah, if you're looking for a nice simple and accurate answer to the question "will there be snow when I get there, and what sort of snow?" I wouldn't bother. Stick with snow-forecast then moan when you don't get 22.4 cms of snow between 4 and 6 am on the 17 November. Much easier.
ski holidays
I'm happy to note that French men in white pick-ups are starting (just starting) to place large red pads at the base of posts. That signals that we are getting closer to the season when we may start looking at forecasts snowHead

emwmarine, much of the weather thread is beyond me (one day I'll sit down and make an effort to understand wigglies Embarassed ). That said, I find it very useful and if I check out snow-forecast, I will do that in conjunction with our own reliable snowHeads (and it's easy to spot those wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
My biology is a little rusty, but as far as I'm aware dead things don't come back to life.

tell that to last week's spag bol left in a student fridge
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
and their incredulous admirers.

shurely shome mistake, don't you mean: credulous admirers.

I wonder when they will start the 2012/2013 winter predictions thread?
latest report
Sorry if my previous message on the whole concept of "worrying". I get excited about good snowfall as much as the next person. Does n't look as if things will change much in the next week.
Like all fellow enthusiasts I want to see a good base - unlike last year! The snow line seems to be slowly coming down and I think you can argue that is better than what happened last year when the snow in many areas never really adhered to the ground. Once you have a good base then its really what you get when you are there. 1995/6 I seem to remember was the worse I have seen pre-Christmas. We were bus'ed from Val D'Isere to Tignes to ski on the glacier in mid-Dec - there was nothing anywhere else.

I do hope we have a half decent winter. I have had a few neck issues this year(added to long term shoulder problem). have missed my sailing and so have about 35 days of leave to get rid of by the end of Feb. So a ski fest is a must.

PS I will be the one in body armour!
snow conditions
just over 3 weeks to the first trip of the season to the green fields of Ischgl. Worried? Yes a little, usually nice and snowy by now, but only a dump or two away from being white again. A lot can happen in 3 weeks - lots of sun or lots of snow.
snow report
Quote:

I think you can argue that is better than what happened last year

Hmm. You could argue that, but......
snow conditions
Col d'Iseran been closed for the last 3 days - hopefully for good. I always use that as a good barometer of winter on the way.
snow conditions
Quote:
Start of winter season postponed
As a result of the unusually high temperatures, Davos Klosters mountain rail & cableways have had to postpone the start of the season on Jakobshorn, probably to 25 November 2011. Guests who have booked the “Free Skipass“ offer for the period involved can either cancel their reservation free of charge or rebook for a later date.

The regional Swiss Ski squad started training on Jakobshorn at the end of October. However, Davos Klosters mountain rail & cableways today reported that the unusually high temperatures have since made it impossible to use snow-making installations. As no change in the weather is in sight because of a stable high-pressure system, the start of the season has been postponed for an expected period of one week. The mountain transport companies are now doing everything in their power to ensure that Davos Klosters can start its winter season with the Jakobshorn and Parsenn ski regions on 25 November.
snow conditions
To answer the OP, "No it's not too early" Why? I've got my season pass, I've been out a skiing a few times in since early October, so had a taste and want more. There's currently a single piste open locally and a couple of near-ish glaciers open. If it snowed there'd be stacks of piste and lifts open all around me and I could go skiing nearly every day from now til end of season, so I want snow very soon. It's not too unreasonable in the local area to expect a reasonable amount of skiing to be available around this time of year, I've skied around here this time of year before from summit to valley. Right now I'll even settle for man made, if only the temps would drop. Today was a t-shirt kind of day whilst sitting out in the sun. Really I should be grateful with the weather as I do have a pile of work I need to crack on with. If you're coming skiing from Dec onwards then just now there's is no reason to worry about snow conditions.
snow report
Getting worried now, last year was tought week and I am having a week with my mate that has not been away for 4 years but lives in Italy so is used to good snow, so he is very excitable but not sniff over Morzine way yet ;-(
snow conditions
smithski, marskey, if I were you two I would definitely be worrying...
snow conditions
I make it 37 days till most of the French lifts open (17th Dec)..... What are you worried about?
snow report
I think people are worried about the apparent lack of early/pre season snow, with the assumed consequence that a lack of a base at this stage might lead to unfavourable conditions later on, and perhaps throughout the season.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy