Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help for a soon to be seasonnaire!

Poster: A snowHead
Im off for a season in tignes in a few weeks and was just wondering if anybody has got any advice on the best/cheapest way to do things like mobile phones, and bank accounts and stuff. Basically it will mainly be for getting in touch with people in resort, and for the odd text/ short phone call to home to tell them to get on skype. Also is there any cards that people would advise to use in order to avoid big charges for taking out cash and for buying stuff in shops?
Any essentials that people would advise to take as well?
Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
a nationwide credit card is pretty useful and can be serviced on line, and doent cost anything

for banks and payg phones should be able to sort both down in Bourg Saint Maurice, all the main banks are there and a couple of phone shops, can alo get payg phone via carrefour super u and eleclerc supermarkets

the super u in bourg had a few cheap payg models when i was in there last
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots of socks. Seriously, they go missing constantly.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah i use a nationwide debit and credit card as it is, so its a good option to stay with them? Yeah i was in france last week so was checking out all of the awesome deals in Hyper-U! So is bourg the nearest place with decent size super markets to tignes?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Set up internet banking
Get Caxton fx/Fair fx/other free cash withdrawal card
Unlock mobile phone
Order French SIM online
Load laptop with music/movies/games/books
Back up contents of laptop to hard drive/cloud/whatever
Scan important documents onto hard drive (contract, passport etc)
Download Skype
Make sure parents have downloaded Skype/know how to use it
Buy socks (before anyone else says it)

Cut 'n' paste from here: http://www.natives.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21726&start=0

Free/cheap texting suggestions here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/free-text-messages
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I really wouldn't bother with unlocking your phone and getting a French SIM; I did it at the start of last season and the inital 15 euros credit I had only lasted for a few texts sent and received. I was fortunate in that the job I had afforded me a mobile phone that had free calls back to the UK between 8am and 8pm so I used that, but otherwise I'd have just used Skype. I left my personal mobile switched off for the duration of the season, I dread to think how much I would have spent on it otherwise.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skype, socks, more socks and skype!

Seriously though..... If you're going to be phoning home all the time then skype is free for skype to skype calls.... If you want to use mobiles then if you've got vodafone use passport as it's £0.75 connection and then you use your contracted minutes.

As for bank acconts.... If you can try and open a French account, might be useful in later years... But it's not as easy to open one over there as it is in the uk.

Oh yes and buy some more socks!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah skypes all set up pretty well, and i get wifi in the chalet im working in and that, Ive got internet banking and the little card reader that they send you, got plenty of socks and hats so looks like im fairly well set to go! I think an external hardrive isnt a bad idea actually, i could load it up with loads of films and music because i use a netbook without a cd drive... Hmmmmmm im getttting excitedd!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You may want to get a local sim, depending on what everybody else has got. I got myself a local phone/sim in Austria, and if you topped up a certain amount there was a 'winter bonus' so I got free calls to others on the same network for most of the season.

Re Nationwide, they charge for cash machine withdrawals (unless they've changed it again) so go for something like the Caxton FX card, pre pay credit card that you can top up online.

Internet banking is a must, only way to check your bank statements back home (just try not to lock yourself out!)

Skype for phoning home (or get somebody at home to call your local phone if you get one, doesn't cost you then).

Spare jacket for in the pub. You don't really want to be leaving behind your good skiing jacket/having it nicked, particularly if it contains your lift pass.

Deffo on the hard drive, my music/film collection was a god send on the bad days and when I was injured. The collection also expanded massively when out there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

If you can try and open a French account

When you're on a four month contract being paid a pittance in sterling and it costs you both to run a French account and transfer money from the UK? Why would you do that? Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My thoughts being tgat it could be the only time you're a Resident of a different country and in later years having a euro account or a non uk account could be useful.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What Lizzard says.

As others have said, Nationwide isn't so good these days. Pre Paid cards & Internet banking look to be the way to go. In the past I have ran a Euro account (with a Spanish bank) but I've canned it now as the expense of operating it was more than we saved.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Unless things have changed recently you need to take your passport with you when you buy a new phone!!!! It's a French thing and a long way back to Tignes if you haven't got it Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you need the passport for a Sim card, let alone a phone. Cheapest credit card is supposed to be Halifax Clarity (acording to moneysavingexpert). Account charges probably make keeping a local bank account not worth it in the long term.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
welshskier wrote:
I think you need the passport for a Sim card, let alone a phone.

Spot on.
snow conditions
absolute need a passport they'll usually photocopy it and send the copy of to the network provider
snow conditions
gravystuffing wrote:
Unless things have changed recently you need to take your passport with you when you buy a new phone!!!! It's a French thing and a long way back to Tignes if you haven't got it Sad

You should not leave home without your passport anyway. You are required to carry a form of identification with you at all times. The French carry their ID cards; as we don't have them, passports it is.
ski holidays
Jealous.....have a fab time
snow conditions
James the Last, that's not actually true.
ski holidays
Lizzard, can you amplify? I too thought that ID was needed in France & Switzerland.
snow conditions
welshskier, I've never carried mine.

mxoli22, One of the best tips given to me was to get a 4 way UK extension and then you only need one French plug adaptor. also make it a long one as the French seem to like to hid the sockets in the worst place possible.
I would also get one of the clip on led lights for bed side reading or getting up and not annoying your room mates in the night.
Take a sense of humour, a big slice of patience and the ability to get drunk on 2 glasses of chalet wine.
latest report
If you have an iPhone, Viber is free calls on wifi and simple to use on any wifi.

Whatsap is free texts.
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
If you have an iPhone, Viber is free calls on wifi and simple to use on any wifi.

Whatsap is free texts.

Viber is on Andriod now and texts as well, good call bar shaker
ski holidays
I know you have a laptop but this could be of use for someone without one.

Kindle 3g can do basic browsing and mail as well as books and lasts well over a week on a charge

also, there are a few media player / hard drive / internet browser devices that plug into a telly for entertainment
latest report
mxoli22,

A to Z for seasonnaires, dont read if you are easily offended!!

http://misplacedperson.wordpress.com/2011/11/01/an-a-z-for-seasonnaires/
snow report
livetoski wrote:
mxoli22,

A to Z for seasonnaires, dont read if you are easily offended!!

http://misplacedperson.wordpress.com/2011/11/01/an-a-z-for-seasonnaires/
love it!!
snow report
Some advice please - I am doing a season in France which is contracted until 28th April but I have just noticed my passport expires at the end of May, is this cutting it too fine?
ski holidays
Skola, no.

I'm told you can even travel to/from France on any official piece of ID. I've just done it on a French ID card, but I've never tried it with anything else.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skola, I've been to France with a passport that ran out while I was there, not one customs man batted an eye.
snow conditions
Excellent!

Thanks folks snowHead
snow conditions
Skola, no you will be fine, but just in case make sure you hae some other photo ID like a UK driving license

Dwarf Vader, you were lucky many years ago I got back from an over seas trip to Hong Kong, China and Russia with the good old British Blue job with about 6 months left on it, UK was fine but when I landed at JKF a few weeks later I was given the third degree, by the men in dark suits about my reason for visiting the US all was OK but it was a little scary.
latest report
All you need to enter the UK is to be able to prove your ID, and an out of date passport is fine.
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
All you need to enter the UK is to be able to prove your ID, and an out of date passport is fine.

Is this based on Fact and experience or what should be the case?
ski holidays
livetoski, I was referring to inside the E.U.
ski holidays
Dwarf Vader wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

Whatsap is free texts.

Viber is on Andriod now and texts as well, good call bar shaker

But turn off 'mobile data' if you're using these services from your phone without a local sim card- whilst whats app etc doesn't charge for texts it uses the 3g /wifi connection to work. Last thing you want to come back too is a big mobile bill for using data abroad.

As to the local sim thing - I looked at this a coupe of years ago and there wasn't much difference between a local pre-pay sim and a roaming (contract one) for light usage...in the end I just used my UK sim, but if you're texting round resort a lot that could get expensive for your mates. Also I'd be surprise if there wasn't a place in Tigness doing sim cards - if there was one in peisey-vallandry then you'd imagine somewhere like tignes would do them
snow report
marcellus wrote:
James the Last wrote:

Depends on the Airline, had a friend who was not allowed to fly as passport was out of date.
latest report
russ_e wrote:
marcellus wrote:
James the Last wrote:

Depends on the Airline, had a friend who was not allowed to fly as passport was out of date.

I was talking about driving not flying. I would not try to fly without all paperwork been correct
ski holidays
Oh yeah Im talking about flying but as I said passport is valid until the end of May and I will flying back end of April

Just wonder as some countries you need a passport which is valid for another 6 months or....? Something like that.
ski holidays
Skola, not the case for someone travelling in the EU on a UK passport. Assuming the EU still exists by the start of the season.
latest report
Lizzard, LOL. I see, thanks again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy