Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tobogganing spots in the UK, please!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm writing a magazine article about the joys of sledging - ready for when the snow blows in here, as of course it WILL - and as part of the piece I need to compile a list of great UK sledging spots.

Assuming snowHeads like playing on home snow as much as we do in the mountains (see the 'about' page of my blog for a picture of the last time I skied on home soil), can anyone tell me their local hot (or rather cold) spots?

Also - what kind of toboggans do you like best? I am testing a few next week with my nephews but would love to know what other people think (check out this one - www.zibob.com - has anyone tried it?).

Thank you!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's plenty of great sledging all along the South Downs in Sussex and Hampshire. Wouldn't want to give away to much though.... Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Feast, hmm yes my thoughts exactly Very Happy Though our nearest spot is just a local field. Next to the hospital where I work which is kind of handy.

MountainMaid, zibobs look interesting wink Sorry I don't understand German, are they expensive? And is that a brake or steering device?! I notice they are 'family proof' so they do sound sturdy. I've been tempted to buy a decent sledge several times (we have an old tradtional wooden one but the metal strips need replacing). We have bum sledges for ease of travelling - great fun but what direction you take is completely random Very Happy

EDIT duh just seen the little Union Jack in the corner, will have a look later.....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
at the bracknell dry slope, the tobogan run there is great fun! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our local country park has a wide variety of slopes, including an almost conical hill, and offers many sledging options in different directions, mostly with reasonable run-outs. Conveniently there is also a pub on site which has an excellent real fire to warm up again afterwards.

And the best sledge is a proper wooden Davos sledge: they run far better that the plastic crap and we always get envious looks when using ours.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Roundhay Park http://www.google.co.uk/#q=sledging+roundhay+park&fp=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&cad=b
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MountainMaid, both Leith hill and Box hill offer excellent sledging and are in your backyard.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although I'm a long way from there now, I believe that Swanston Golf Course in Edinburgh is popular when the fairways are covered by snow - and there is the club restaurant to provide substenance. It may also be possible to sledge at the Hillend Dry Ski Slope nearby but I'm not certain about that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All golf courses surely. Wooburn Green was a favourite as a youngster - fond memories of hurtling down it on an upturned car bonnet that we found in the woods.

I would also suspect that hole 8 - affectionately known as 'Cardiac Hill' due to its pitch - at Newbold Comyn in Leamington Spa would be pretty good. Sadly I've only golfed it, not ridden it Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways wrote:
MountainMaid, both Leith hill and Box hill offer excellent sledging and are in your backyard.

Second that. Pitch and Holmbury have some potential too..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio, Newbold Comyn is where I was referring to early. It's great in the snow! My eldest took his skis over a few times last year, but complained about the lack of a lift to get him back up.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobW, he needs a snowmobile then...

Traditional sledges are definitely better, these cr@ppy plastic ones never work properly.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RobW wrote:
paulio, Newbold Comyn is where I was referring to early. It's great in the snow!

Also, Warwickshire seems to quite reliably get freak snowfalls. If that's not an oxymoron. At least that's my memory of it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
See this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59878
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you, everyone - I will check out the ones you have kindly revealed.

Love the GB-ski pictures on the other thread - Weathercam looks a bit handy!

I prefer the traditional sledges, too. I've also tried traditional shape but in a black plastic material with slightly wider runners, which I think is even better as the thin runners on a Davos sledge can sink in certain conditions.

My sister has an excellent very large wooden sledge that she made at school when she was about 12. Her kids were out on it last winter and people were photographing and measuring it so they could copy it. Not sure if it has metal runners. Her kids seem to love the plastic ones with steering wheels too - but I don't find they're ideal for an adult-sized rear...
ski holidays
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/myplaces?ll=55.593665,-2.733825&spn=0.001194,0.001963&sll=55.593664,-2.733825&sspn=0.0012,0.001963&vpsrc=6&ctz=-60&t=h&z=19&iwloc=ddw1&layer=c&cbll=55.593665,-2.733825&panoid=7VZsnK6x3JEnfn4WEQ5kEw&cbp=12,69.56,,1,-4.75 here in my youth complete with a burn at the bottom to jump Cool
snow report
We have a Skidoo inflatable sledge, really tough super skippy base, tough enough to be towed by a snowmobile, fastest funnest sldge ever, those of you who are friends with me on face book may have seen the vidoes of our extreme driveway sledging
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Roundhay Park http://www.google.co.uk/#q=sledging+roundhay+park&fp=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&cad=b

++1!! We skied it too, also Chapel Allerton Park and Eccup Resevoir
snow report
Thanks again, everyone - here's the finished piece in case anyone's interested in reading, with some of the above incorporated (scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the footnote to get a pdf of the article)...

http://morethanskiing.wordpress.com/2011/12/24/241211-sledging-fun-on-the-gadget-show-and-in-country-life/
latest report
Heh, forgot I had this - Sideways_Junior in Breadcrate-1
Note High sidewall, mono-coque chassis construction, painted ply base for easy running, cushioned back support, 4-point safty harness, on-board navigation solution and SnowHead-approved branding

snow report
Don't forget dry slope tubing! Always a laugh. My nearest is Halifax dry ski slope. Like the article btw but needs more piccies of the sledges tested, i am intrigued!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy