Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Serre Chevalier 2011/2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Got back from Serre Chevalier at the weekend (was there 3rd-10th march). The snow was mostly icy and hard, but still, I had a good time Smile ...At least the sun was out most days!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry the snow was not at its best for you - We had a warm week there at half term (not that busy) snow was looking a little iffy at places especially lower down towards Briancon - but a fantastic place loved it there. We stayed at Chantemerle, great little place and all the lifts up in one place plenty of good appartments we were 50m from everything. A pity they didn't have another really good dump of snow - had it early but no follow up. Good restaurants not as expensive as some french resorts although ski pass was expensive. Great runs lovely to ski across to other villages. Glad you had a good time. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very warm today,so there isn't a lot of ice about, except late afternoon when the sun goes off the mountain, and early morning. It was a day for a long lunch and a couple of beers. Some of the SoPi bashers were off to La Grave, and the remainder stayed and skied with us.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very envious - love the sound of the lunch !!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Very warm today

Yup, will agree with that. We are staying in Briançon (the main town). The weather is glorious (sun sun sun), but the temperatures are having an impact on the slopes. The further towards Monetier, the better the snow gets. The snow bashers and cannons are doing a sterling job, and the best way to enjoy the snow is to get up early (eek!) and do the majority of skiing in the morning, before 1-2pm.
My favourite slopes are great in the morning (Cucumelle, Clot Gauthier, Saludes). Heading over to Pic 'L'yret today (highest peak) to ski Yret.
The afternoons can get very choppy on the popular blue runs, and because the weather is so warm, there is hardly any ice but the mini-moguls of slushy-grippy-leg-pain-inducing mounds get created. Stay on the quieter reds is my advice.
Other than that, Serre Che is still fantastic - lovely people, good prices (yes, apart from the ski pass!), and excellent restaurants (had a lovely meal in La Gavroche in the Briançon old town last night).
Oh, and snow is forecast for this weekend from Saturday night through to Monday. Just as we leave.... Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yesterday was colder, still warm but definitely a drop of a few degrees. Had a day skiing with Gavin of Eurekaski and elHen. A couple of runs from the Cibouit Chair to warm up the legs, the blue piste ( was in very good condition apart from a little bit of 'rubble' at the top. Then up to Pic D'Yret, and across to the rest of the domain via Cucumelle,Skied to Serre Ratier, snow above the Casse du Beouf was in good shape, and yet another nice lunch at the chalet hotel (aka Hotel California). Quick trip across to Briancon via the Prorel chair via the very soft boardercross and the Bois de Coqs. There was very little ice although after a morning skiing in quite heavy soft stuff, I was glad to find some harder flatter pistes in the afternoon. Coming back across Eychauda was in great nick.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh well - been out here a week now in Serre and here's a couple of videos of what I've been getting up to!

Week before we came out ran a half marathon cross country with the Mrs in atrocious conditions six months to the day after my Op.

All this week have had three snowboarding mates out so have been showing them around, greta week for them with nigh on wall to wall sunshine - slushy afternoon pistes being great for the boards - took them out on one big tour (see second vid) and over to Sestrierre yesterday

Have a few scar tissue clicks going on and can feel the knee but quite pleased at what I've been able to do - though skiing some very heavy deep spring snow way off piste brought back memories and my confidence took a bit of a knock - but short lived!

Have more friends out this week and will do some more touring Thursday hopefully if we get a break in the weather - but looks like snow hopefully!

Snow conditions are dire though for touring with all the classic S facing routes well shagged - people are having to resort to N facing routes and timing is critical!

Serre Chevalier 2012 - back after ACL Op from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/38507672

The "Guys" first Tour - Pic de Jean Ray from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/38643722

This is where we went - that big bowl in the photo - which you can see from Briancon - long hike up to it and three very knackered mates Toofy Grin

But my "babe" looking very cool Little Angel

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Major change in the weather

Slight change in the weather from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/38731686
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowing quite hard in Monetier at 1500m this evening. A real change from last week's beautiful sunshine.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
6-8 ins of fresh by lunchtime in Monetier. Hopefully knee deep tomorrow morning. Some great touring in Montgenevre and from Col du Lauteret last week. Much needed top up is here snowHead La Grave is skiing well although the odd mogul about. Banane was spicy with moguls for first 30m or so. Descent to St Christophe doable but the top had little snow and requires a scramble across scree. Also, 100m vert of bootpacking out at the bottom. Otherwise superb.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I miss Serre Chevalier Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think some of the guys that were out here last week could not quite get their head around me cycling instead of skiing..............

Don't think they understand that being out here is not about skiing every day, though obvioulsy that does depend on the conditions. I bring my bike out here as I love cycling in the mountains, doing fast descents out here is something you can't do back in the UK and gives me a similar buzz to skiing / boarding fresh snow etc.

Also cycling is sort of weather dependnent, especially this time of year, don't exactly want to be cycling back over the Col in a blizzard. Though the forecasts for the past week have been a joke, more or less forecasting snow every day and we end up with wall to wall sunshine just about every day with cloud only bubbling up mid to late afternoon.

Plus as most will know, I did my ACL a year ago and am only six months post Op and I never thought / dreamt I would be skiing the way I am, hence one of the reasons I never signed up to the off piste ski bash!

Last Saturday we went back over Montagnolle to ski down into the valley (past my cliff where I had a little incident a few years back) to skin up the valley, we scrored some nice untracked cold snow, but further down snow was soft and deep. That's when I decided to not skin back up as I know my knee was saying don't do it, even though my mate was encouraging me, but I sort of just wanted to get through a week with him and not end up seriously injured Smile

My cliff in the background

Tomorrow (Tuesday) we're off to Tignes for most of the week to see my daughter who is working up there and who for the past two years I've been umable to ski with due to cliffs and ACL's, though eveidently on Wed I'm meant to by skiing with all the "dudes" she works with, so will probably do myself in the "park" trying to keep up with them!

Snow now in Serre is still great for piste skiing, though slushy in the afternoon. Touring is restricted to North faces though people are picking a way through some of the routes off the Col du Lautaret but it is so warm, an early start is a must.

We (because we can) did a nice long walk up towards the Col du Granon yesterday, in fact was meant to be giving the knee a rest but walking round here can be tough.

And today we've been over to Nevache to suss things out as we have non skiing friends out for a long weekend and hiked up to the Refuge Ricou, either staying the night or just for lunch, though have also been asked if I'd like to join a few Swedish snowboarders with a guide at the weekend (other half has given a me a green card if I want to ) or maybe the Via Ferrata down at St Christophe, or try and see what ski du fonde is still open, so you see it's not all about skiing!

Kiki being a "Dude" in La Grave
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:
Think some of the guys that were out here last week could not quite get their head around me cycling instead of skiing..............

Don't think they understand that being out here is not about skiing every day, though obvioulsy that does depend on the conditions.

Laughing I think you've missed the point...

Quote:
(past my cliff where I had a little incident a few years back)

...although perhaps cycling on a nice road will be more healthy for you wink

Anyway, to prevent admin including a photo of a bloke in a skin suit in his weekly snow report email, perhaps the epic thread drift can drift back? Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
April 6th - Good Friday

Have now packed up all the toys, along with the crutches and splint I bought just in case!

Yesterday, was one of those sweet days. We spent the day before in La Grave, as we stayed over Tuesday evening in the Edelweiss, and then spent the next day (Wednesday) along with Robin and Marlon doing their website, and the weather outside was pretty foul (wet and no snow) but that usually means snow up top.

As we drove back over the Col du Lautaret late Wednesday afternoon it was still raining there (2058m), not an encouraging sign. As we descended back down towards Serre Chevlier it was evidently raining far harder than on the La Grave side of the Col. The rain continued on into the evening, so Elaine and I decided on getting up early (Thursday) to see if it was worth doing "First Lifts", I did think it would be a case of wet weather gear, with rain up to 2,100m and if we were lucky snow above that, so we were both quite elated at the blue sky that greeted us, with light whispy cloud in the valley and some dramatic blobs of cloud at various levels of altitude.

However what was significant was that the snow level was visible on the trees at around 2000m. We went up from Frejus just behind a group of British school kids, as we thought that would give us the best options. Once at the mid station we could see the Vallons chair was not open so we took a few drags all the way to the top, being the first on them after the pisteurs.

About 10cms of fresh was laying over the pisted runs, and that made for a very sweet gentle descent. As we came down so more people were spilling out from the chair lifts, I went and took a look to see if the chair was open and was more of less moving off from a standstill downhill when out of the corner of my eye saw this out of control skier hurtling straight at me. As I was not really moving, I could not avoid him, so as impact was imminent, I shouted "Cock" at him bracing myself for the obvious impact in a solid body check position. I was relieved at the outcome which resulted in me not being knocked over and one out of control skier coming off far worse.

We did ask if he was ok, and he said yes, more out of bravado / embarrassment. I suspect he was quite winded / bruised as he took one hell of a hit.

http://youtube.com/v/RoXk9qY1fWU

And this is a video of the before and after, another nice day on the Mountain Very Happy

First lifts, fresh tracks all after a collision with a "Cock" ! from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/39882851
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dumping in Serre Chevalier this evening.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy