Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ACL Thread - what to do if you "do one" - Pre & Post operation advice - Rehab to get b

Poster: A snowHead
lampbus, like I said I've always done "stuff" and kept to a reasonable level of competitive fitness (have to keep trim), so when back in the mountains that all helps when doing some of the stuff we do rather than just being a couch potato piste skier Madeye-Smiley

Anyway good day to get out on the bike, no wind sunny but damn cold - did I tell you about the £400 computer I have on my bike Laughing

Late Edit : today's ride http://connect.garmin.com/activity/134915723 with a mate - easy at first then three or four ball busting spurts on the way home - that's why I do stuff like tabata intervals because it trains your body for that type of effort!!

Knee not too bad, was concentrating on using the "knee" leg pulling up on the pedal (can do that with click in pedals) not to dissimilar to pulling yourself across the floor on a stool wink

Damn back still playing up now though Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sit rep; approached first turns with trepidation. Quickly found I had no issue with pisted runs, but chopped up and powder not good. The lateral pressure caused twinges and uncertainty. The afternoon was much better, possibly to do with lunch beers, but more likely because I decided to stop skiing like I was protecting my knee, and just ski. Got better and better with each run, and ended up only about 20% below normal pace. Didn't notice the brace while skiing, only really aware of it on lifts. Additional benefit of the rehab and training is that I didn't feel tired at all.

Tomorrows another day, but so far so good.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dr John, fecking well done!

Back up to 100% by tomorrow Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers. A friend texted to say "off piste tomorrow then?". We'll see.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Finished for this trip, all good. Last Run yesterday was a bit of a mare, nearly stacked it big and had to pull it round hard to recover. Big twinge and knocked my confidence. Nervous first run this morning, but found a great sweeping red run that we lapped a few times and relocated missing mojo. No issues with the knee now, first test passed. Not tried anything off-piste yet, reckon that can wait. Next stop, 10 days in PDS in Jan.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Interesting in that this past week I've been using the Power Plate as part of my ACL rehab.

I've stopped using a physio as I was not to pleased with what she was doing for me, preferring an Osteo instead, my consultant agreed with me as he thinks I'm progressing well and am now nigh on 4 months post OP.

Then yesterday did a wee bit of Goggling putting Powerplate ACL in - and came across a quite staggering study on ACL & Power Plates - makes for some very interesting reading!

http://powerplatespain.es/estudioscientificos/7.pdf

All rather strange is that I've now been commissioned by said Consultant to do a couple of interesting projects all ACL related - I'll get to be a Guru yet at this rate watch out Samerberg Sue Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam, <YAWN> you like reinventing the wheel then? Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam, looks like interesting sales & marketing reading...
(what does this powerplate thing do that, say a solid wood step cant ?...can you summarise as I dont have time to sift through ...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am a natural sceptic. Having had a quick look at the official product website, which promises to fix everything that is wrong with you in 3 minutes...OK, they have to do that, but....

At no point can I see any figures for amplitude...and as a scientist & engineer, I feel that just saying it wobbles in 3 axis at 25 to 40 herts, isnt enough. I sense a bit of skimping on the science....which would be OK if they arn't claiming to be scientific about their product.

I like the concept, and I am interested in the idea that my ACL has nerves in it that contribute to stability control. However, they claim 'the body's resonant frequency' at one point, which is plainly bollox because each part of the human body has totally different mass and resiliance etc. there is no single resonant frequency. What they possibly mean is that their product moves at a frequency that is well away from many of the body frequencies...or can be tuned to a particular one?

Several early helecopter accidents were found to be caused by bluring of pilot vision...as the machine produced a frequency that was close to eyeball natural resonance.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam, Been reading this, as I've just 'done' my knee again, today rolling eyes

Someone on here had hyberbaric O2 treatment for his ACL - can't think of his name, but maybe you are better on the search programme than I am. Last time I found walking backwards on the treadmill helped the proprioception. Good luck with it all & hope you're skifit soon
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Don't know if anyone else saw it, Darcey Bussell dances Hollwood, with her doing some (4) of the all times classic dances from the great musicals of the 40's and 50's all quite interesting with her classical dance background, and then the little matter of being only 5 months post ACL (hamstring) op - mind you can she stretch or what!!!

lampbus, don'y worry I'm just as sceptical / cynical about Power Plate - however that study does make for some interesting reading - anyway as we have one in the gym I might as well carry on using it as it's only about 5 minutes of actual time. When you're on it doing single leg squats and the like after 45sec your leg is burning.

Out on the road bike yesterday (25 mls) and did one of the classic hills around here (Steyning / Bostal), and legs felt good so was quite pleased - but no way could I be doing the stuff Darcey B was doing!

Genepi on the previous page I mentioned that method of rehab, as I know some one who swears by it (ex world champ windsurfer Nik Baker), though I'd never heard of it, so might have to do a more specific search. I've been running uphill (incline 12) on the treadmill as well as speed walking a couple of times but one gym instructor got a wee bit arsy about me doing it, but you can really get a good extension doing it.

Actually had a day off doing nothing Xmas day, apart from walking the dogs and then walking them today (boxing day) both my knees were aching Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tore my ACL last year along with a lot of other stuff, after two other surgery’s I eventually got my ACL reconstructed 5 and a half months after the initial crash.

I did my re hab at the Olympic medical institute in Bisham a great facility for athletes where we can get a weeks intensive rehab at a time. I did a total of 3 weeks over 5 months and was back skiing happily and training skicross and giant slalom by 6 months.

I found the power plate gave me massive gains. We used it a lot as part of my warm up routine before doing bounding sessions and the difference in the bounding session was dramatic depending on if i used the powerplate to warm up or not. My contact time with the floor and rebound height both improved. Also after using the powerplate my results in the power tests where again massively improved. I would recommend it as part of anyone’s re hab for ACL if they have the chance.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jjc, interesting!

So what are bounding sessions, though think I might have an idea, and what exercises etc / length of time did you do on the plates?

Though I suspect your body might be younger than mine which always helps in recuperation / rehab - but just you wait Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quick update - didn't do as much hiking over the New Year in the mountains as I wanted to due to the weather being so bad and on a few days I was feeling a little leant over Confused

That said did one longish walk up and down some steep single track and knee didn't feel too bad, also helped by have some ice grippers on my boots, in fact every one was using snow shoes, but they'd bashed it down so much boots were ok.

Anyway, once back in the UK woke up on Friday to a beautiful day, so after the usual dog walk along the beach I suggested to the Mrs "how about a run up on the Downs?" - don't really know why, just that I sort of felt might be ok now.........

So started off at a point where we used to do a lot of cross country runs / races. Route we did starts with a long 1.5 ml hill, quite steep at times up to Cissbury Ring and then down and up the Southern side, which has a couple of short sharp steep climbs and then the long run back downhill to the start, 4 miles in total.

I was wearing my trail shoes which are the running version of a snow tyre, as the chalk can be very slippery and pleased to report that my ACL op knee felt really good, in fact it was the other one on which I had keyhole a month or so ago that was complaining a wee bit. Later on in the day I did 40 mins on the turbo to loosen up the quads.

Then the big test was always going to be how the legs would feel the next day, and there were a few niggles but as it was another super day after the dog walk we went up again, this time with my uber fit cycling mate and his two mad Springers - we're always quite competitive together and going up the hill I put the hammer down and reached the top hitting 178bpm - running fast going downhill as well, though towards the end there were some aches coming from the ACL knee but really only around the IT band on the outside of the knee.

Once back home put the cyro cuff on and then later on half hour spinning on the turbo.

So quite chuffed with being able to run like that. I always have said that I will not go back on skis until I can run confidently downhill off road and I've done that two months before I'm back out in the Mountains.

Taking it gentle today and not doing much apart from dog walks - and have a session with my Osteo first thing tomorrow morning, and the good news is that the back is not too bad, though still not 100% - now have pains across my shoulders Puzzled

Other half entered the Steyning Stinger Half Marathon yesterday (a cracker of a very hilly, muddy race over the Downs with some killer hills) asking me if I wanted to enter as well, as it's only a week before we go back to Serre and for her good to get ski fit along with Bikram, but I declined as I would probably end up over training and knacker myself / knees etc - that said nearer the time if I'm feeling strong then I'll run round with her at a gentler pace, but do think that's still being a little optimistic, but who knows, as I'll probably up the distance to 6mls next week and then increase a mile a week..........

Mmmmmm looking feasible Shocked

Oh and a little amusing story - was in Tignes seeing my daughter who is doing her first season there ( see her blog http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/seasonairehead.html ) and some dude asked her about me, her old man, and she told him that I'd done my ACL Off Piste in Serre last year, to which he said "Cool" and then said what is an ACL - actually thinking it was some off piste Basi type course Smile

Further Edit to the above just heard from my mate who ran with me yesterday, and his legs were sore this morning - like I said he's a very very fit strong cyclist (has his own race coach and the like) and puts in substantial amounts of training but no running, and this often happened when he used to come out for a run with me taking a while before his quads became use to running............. just means next time I go for a bike ride with him I'm going to get mullered (as usual) Sad

Such are friends Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another week down......... Four and a half months post Op

Saw me mixing it between the gym and the turbo.

Think it was Tuesday that I messed up, went on to the tread mill to do 10km and started off way to quickly, went through the first mile in 07:15 and then eased the pace back to 08:00 and at 3.5mls felt a nasty twinge in the calf of my ACL leg and hopped off the treadmill immediately.

Next day calf was really stiff / sore so powerplates and stretching and some light cycling, and even had a day off Friday!

Then yesterday felt good enough for a run up on the Downs upped the distance to 5.5mls, with a nice hill at the start that more or less goes up for some 3.5 mls to Chanctonbury ring atop the South Downs outside Worthing. Conditions were superb with a really heavy frost, clear blue sky and mist down below the North escarpments near where the river Adur slices through the Downs. So pleased to be out there...........was trying to concentrate on running lightly on the feet especially downhill.

Friend behind me commented that my right leg when running downhill was kicking back far higher than my ACL left leg, suppose that has a lot to do with a chunk of hamstring being taken out of that leg Puzzled

Was more concious of my calf muscle than the knee. Later on did a session on the turbo to spin the legs though ended up doing 5*1 min intervals as I just sort of felt like doing them Confused

Then passed on running this morning and went out on the road bike heading off into a stiff cold E'ly breeze, up over the Downs heading over towards Brighton & Devils Dyke criss crossing the Downs getting some vertical in.

Ended up with just over 850m in two and half hours - did for a while wonder why my legs felt heavy, then I remembered the intervals from yesterday. Took it quite easy with HR well down - track log here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/141810170

Plan for this week - couple of gym sessions, bosu ball / powerplates / leg machines maybe one tread mill session or Downs run and one mid week long ride, along with some turbo session, and then Sat Downs run distance 7mls or so.

Might kick the gym into touch for Feb and go back to Bikram for the final month before heading off in March.

Current thinking is that I'll take one day at a time, and probably do Alpine one day, rest the next doing xcountry / cycling - all depends on the conditions and obviously the knee!

Have four mates coming out to Serre for our first week, and will be very tempting to try and show them around, but have to be Captain Sensible - will listen to the body - might be worth not skiing with them for two / three days and then do the Friday with them when I arrange a guide for them Very Happy

Wait and See - apologies for the rambling, sort of helps as therapy rolling eyes
snow report
b]Weathercam[/b], thanks for the link. I was following your thread up to when I posted in it last October. Fingers crossed for March and hopefully you will be back stronger than before the injury.

Interesting about the dynafits vs the dukes. I have never done any touring but it is something I would want to be made aware of.

And +1 on having a conservative din setting- it is my personal choice. People have been telling me for a couple of years that my din at 7 (correct for my weight) is a bit low but I am not a racer and at the moment my skis are doing what I want them to do and I do not mind the occasional release. Rather that than potential injury that might have otherwise been avoided.

Fortunately (touch wood) I have not had to deal with a serious injury. The worst for me has been patellar tendonitis(from trampolining & park skiing) which thankfully I have under control provided that I do a couple of exercises a few times a week and I am captain sensible with volume.

It sounds as though you have a healthy interest in different fitness training methods and so you may have already but have you tried foam rolling? For my injury this was an invaluable part of the solution and I always take a travel sized piece of foam with me on my travels.

+1 for recommending tabata intervals – I have a tractor tyre and sledgehammer in a field just for the job. It is amazing what you can achieve in 4mins!
snow conditions
Just had one of the most enjoyable days skiing I've ever had. Bust acl last jan, op feb. been doing rehab and gym all year, but by no means heavy; two or three sessions a week jogging, weights and balance work, nothing like the mental regimes being discussed here. Message I'm giving is: don't over think it. I've realised it's not a life ending injury, its a very common injury that almost all skiers can overcome with very normal exersise. I'm not sure you guys are doing 'normal' people any favours by talking about these mental regimes, when all is needed is simple gym work. If anyone's reading this who's bust an acl, take it from me you can recover by doing normal gym work. It doesnt need a military approach.
snow conditions
Dr John, it isn't a military approach. Before I did my ACL I'd be cycling, running, Bikram etc.

Like I said at the top of this page Confused

And as you rightly say it is such a common sports injury etc.

However all I'm attempting to do is get back to a level of fitness that would enable me to do all the other stuff I did pre the injury, such as windsurfing, running and doing stuff in the mountains with my mates, is that wrong?

Maybe I should have titled this thread "not for one or two weeks a year couch potatoes" Confused

Anyway off up on the Downs for a run with the Mrs, a friend and the dogs, and up there we'll see other people doing the same on a Sunday morning, similar in some ways to going for half day ski tour, is that wrong or should we be in bed reading the papers Sad
latest report
Just back from the Downs and really was great to be up there, fair number of other runners out and many mountain bikers, especially along the South Downs way.

Have to say kept thinking about Dr John's post - maybe it's just the circle of friends we have, but in no way could you say we're following a mental regime - looking at all the various runners out this morning, all shapes and sizes doing all distances, some training for marathons (London & Brighton) others just making the most of the great conditions and running / cycling just because they enjoy it.

My current training is different to what I would have been doing pre ACL in that I've been going to a gym, to take advantage of the machines / balance balls etc however ironic in that I only cancelled the membership last Friday from mid Feb onwards as I felt I was getting to a stage where I can do my normal "stuff" away from the gym.

Usually at this time of year I'd be doing a lot of hill work both on the bike and running, going up and down the north escarpments of the Downs trying to get 1,000m vertical in, this sort of training is "normal" to me and friends, in that we want to be able to make the most of our time when we're in the mountains.

And there I think is the rub, in that we do prepare for "big days", you can't do three or four days ski touring on the back of two or three light gym sessions a week. If you're doing 1,000m + ascents - that's not far off doing a marathon in terms of time and energy, I know because I'm sad enough to use a HRM and see afterwards the sort of energy levels spent...........though obviously if everyone is of the same fitness level then maybe it's not so much of an issue. With us there is peer pressure that drives us as well, it's never fun being the one spat out at the back!

The great thing about skiing is that all people can do it, there are no required levels of fitness etc. People go and are quite happy cruising around the piste, maybe two runs then a coffee stop, few more runs then a lunch stop etc etc. We have a few friends like that, and when skiing with them, we have to stop all the time to let them get their breath / legs back, where normally we'd just hack top to bottom, but they come to enjoy doing a sport that is very different to what I think of skiing is as a sport.

So when I did my ACL and was still in France for three more weeks I was hiking up to the Col du Granon on snowshoes just over two weeks later, that's like hiking up Snowdon!

Here's the track log of that little hike - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/77741233 looking back on it that was a tough old hike all things considered, and four months later was cycling up the damn thing, which many think it one of the toughest climbs in the Alps - again you ain't going to be doing that type of stuff in couch potato mode!

And then once back home I ramped up the cycling in order to get really strong for the op and more importantly not loose my fitness, and one reason that I was cycling was because I could not windsurf with the knee so did have the time.

All I'm doing is adapting my training to encompass my current situation and focus on the ACL rehab, and if that means I get out on skis in March then I'm not complaining.

Again whilst running and thinking about Dr John's post, maybe "athletes" focus that little more and are more motivated than others who view anyone that trains for a couple of hours on a Sunday morning as sad, in much that same way as I view anyone having to post "Getting Fit - I go away in 3 weeks time to the 3V and ive decided to do some training before i go" as a bit of a joke Puzzled

Anyway ramble / rant over - here's the track log from today's cross country run on the Downs, just over 8mls http://connect.garmin.com/activity/143647987 calf muscles were giving me more agro than the knee(s) Shocked

Should also add that all the above is not helped by being more than a few years over the wrong side of 50 rolling eyes
snow report
Weathercam, just adding a bit of balance. You do what you like, good luck to you and I don't look down on you for your choices the way you seem to look down on others for theirs. If a 1 or two week a year skier, btw the vast majority of British skiers and I guess SH's, only need to do enough post-op work to regain the muscle mass they lost while injured. Your needs are obviously far greater than that, but it's not the only way.
ski holidays
Btw, I had a great private lesson today, the instructor did his acl 3 years ago, did the same one again a year later. We exchanged
the obligatory acl-club war stories, I said I'd been going to the gym regularly, rehab etc, he said well done good effort etc and at no point mentioned tabla intervals, power plates, or dragging tyres around. Just saying.
snow conditions
Dr John, point I was making that you and others have almost "mocked" what I've been doing training wise, I was doing things like Tabata* way before I did my ACL - obvioulsy I looked at "protocols" that various sportspeople have done for their rehab, and I'm no where near their intensity of work in terms of time in the gym / with the physion that top Pros do - for instance look at what JJC did in his post up at the Olympic medical institute in Bisham.

Just seems that maybe the posters mocking are of the type that indeed have to be aware of the easy blue before lunch Little Angel

Anway all rather insignificant, have spent the afternoon working on a charity site for a mate or mine for people who are far worse off than us!!!!

http://www.spinalinjuriesnepal.org

*in fact a guy in The Times on Saturday over the past couple of weeks has been dressing it up as the best way to exercise to loose weight!
latest report
Weathercam, The only person on this thread mocking is you. And if you think you're immune to catching and edge you're seriously deluded.

Anyhoo, my acl recovery continues absolutely according to plan. I hope yours does too, but I really don't need to read a novel on the subject. Laters.
snow conditions
Dr John, think we both need to chill on this.

Even when & if I get back on skis still have the little matter of not much of an acl in the other knee, so in fact that will be more of a worry than the reconstructed one!
snow report
Weathercam, Agreed. Best of luck.
snow report
Oh well - been out here a week now in Serre Chevalier and here's a couple of videos of what I've been getting up to!

Week before we came out ran a half marathon cross country with the Mrs in atrocious conditions six months to the day after my Op.

Have a few scar tissue clicks going on and can feel the knee but quite pleased at what I've been able to do - though skiing some very heavy deep spring snow way off piste brought back memories and my confidence took a bit of a knock - but short lived!

Serre Chevalier 2012 - back after ACL Op from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/38507672

The "Guys" first Tour - Pic de Jean Ray from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/38643722
ski holidays
Weathercam, congratulations on being back on skis! That looks like some serious bracing though - perhaps it isn't - and on both legs. Is this because your knees are not yet fully stable, or is the bracing supposed to help prevent re-tear?
ski holidays
As I'm only six months post op (left leg) the brace is there as I do not have full stregth back, and is a sensible precautoon as advised by my knee surgeon. The other knee I had a meniscus tear and had keyhole in Dec and was shown in the video of the op not to have much of an acl left in that knee. Think I linked to that video earlier on in this thread.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi
just thought I would add my own experience to this thread as I sit here on the sofa recovering from my ACL reconstruction (hamstring graft) !!
Fell over in Serre Chevalier (obviously a dangerous place to ski !!! LOL) on feb 6th - beginning of holiday. spent rest of hol in a fairly substantial brace and on crutches. not much pain but to be honest but no stability. came home and had MRI within 10 days (BUPA !!) and had reconstruction on march 6th - one month from injury to op...pretty impressed with that timescale. Had it done by Jex Brown in sheffield following a recommendation. Original surgeon in my hometown wanted to do an athroscopy "to tidy things up and prepare" and then do the reconstruction 6 weeks later. That woudl have meant rehab twice.
So glad I went for second opinion as he took a look at me and said it was obviously a full rupture to the ACL (he could tell without even looking at my MRI !) and that even though I was still very swollen I was stable enough to operate on immediately. Within 5 days I was in and having the op. I stayed overnight due to 50 mile journey home plus had op at 4pm. had the leg extension machine on all night (not the best nights sleep I have ever had ! ) but I reckon it made a big difference. Pain was quite bad intially so had to have morphine and had a bit of a reaction to it the next morning (dizziness) so they kept me in until after lunch. then had my physio "chat" and sent me home. I was surprised how much weight I could put on the repaired leg.

so that was wednesday. on fri went for my first physio session to a local guy I have used a few times before. Since then I have had one more session with him. I am being really good and strict with myself and am amazed at how much progress I am making. 10 days post op and not using crutches and walking ok. still have a slight limp and cant manage to walk far but never expected to be crutchless after only 10 days.

Still have a long way to go - i realise that - but so far so good. I guess I was lucky in that it all happened so quickly so the muscle wasteage was not too bad, although still scary how much tone you loose in just 4 weeks. I am about 5-10 degress short of full extension but working really hard on this. flexion is more difficult as i sustained lots of bone bruising and some minor damage to my posterior meniscus - self healing but will take time.

I am turning my thoughts to getting it sorted for mountain biking this summer - would like to be out on the bike now but have no where near enough flexion. I tried on a static bike today and simply couldnt do it. I am aiming to ski next season - think this is realistic as I have 12 months.

However I am also thinking about knee supports. My surgeon says I will not need one and that the reconstructed ACL will be just as strong as my other leg so there is equal risk of doing it again to either knee as there was before the accident. However I am thinking that I wear a helmet, not as a result of an accident , but as a preventative measure so maybe I should look at buying two braces and use them as prevention ? obviously each injury is unique and personal but woudl be interested to hear other people's views on "brace or no brace" . I had an anthroscopy on my other knee 18 yrs ago and have always worn a light knee support as it stops my knee aching by the end of the day - its not hindged, just neoprene with a spring down each side. I will still prefer to ski with something on that knee so am thinking a lightweight hinged brace , around the £70 mark, for each knee woudl be the way to go. but then will that just be physcological and practically of little benefit if I have an ACL threatening fall ? I know the £500 custom fit braces are good but is there any need for one as I should have a perfectly functional knee by the time I next ski ? your thoughts/ experience would be most welcome
cheers
snow conditions
backhojo, I did the same last year, op 5 weeks after, private, etc. I was a good boy during recovery and it has paid off. 3 days pre-Xmas, 10 days in jan all (largely) no bother. I did, however, splash out on a £450 CTi brace and I'm very glad I did. My knee was perfectly functioning, but it wasn't any where near 100% for skiing. Having a solid, properly fitted carbon fibre brace around my right knee gave me the confidence to push past the nerves and put my turns in properly and not tippy toeing around them.

My surgeon sad I wouldn't need one, my physio advised me to if I could afford a proper one. Both advised against the generic ones, which offer no protection agains the forces that might inflict ligament damage.

I'm aiming to lose the brace after I get a couple more weeks, also I'll be past the 18 month long-term average for complete rehabilitation.
snow report
did you go for the custom fit CTi or the OTS (off the shelf). Ive just discovered there is a "technology in motion" orthotics fitting centre in my local area and they do CTi braces. My sons head teacher recommended them as she has been though all this 3 yrs ago.

I wonder if the surgeons have a bit of bravado in that "my surgery skills are good enough that you new ACL will be very strong" wheras the physio takes a more realistic view of how the patient will feel psychologically !!!

obviously early days yet - only just got rid of the crutches. managed to hobble to the pub tonight !!! LOL trying really hard not to hobble but its tricky at less than 2 weeks post op. good job I like the physio as going to be spending a lot of time with him this year i think !
snow conditions
backhojo, I contacted them via their web-site and they directed me to Bodyfactor, who have a concession at Snow & Rock in Covent Garden, for a fitting. They don't sell OTS without a consultancy and fitting. I had 20 minute consultation, then the guy measured me up, chose the brace size and did all the fiddly fitting bits. Fully custom ones are only needed for very short people, apparently.

I think you're spot on with the surgeon/physio bravado thing. I spent far more time with the physio, who could closely asses my knee, the surrounding muscle tissue etc and recommend accordingly.

Hobbling to the pub is a good thing. Don't push it though, just a small twinge can force a return to the sofa for 2 or 3 days.
ski holidays
Hope you guys all heal well. I don't wear any sort of brace, and have been throwing my repaired ACL down all sorts of gnarl.
Just remember that the graft will weaken a lot before it builds back to full strength...you graft tissue dies back and is used as scaffolding for the new ACL you will grow. I was told aout 6 weeks post-op was the weaakest time. Your Mileage may Vary.
snow report
Been testing the knee a little bit over the last few days out here - and no wonder I have a few aches etc as it's only just over six months since the operation.

But maybe when you see these vids some of you who questioned, and I know I'm opening up the same can of worm's again, as to why I did the sort of fitness bollox regime might now understand why I had to if I wanted to get back to what I do!

However have to say when I suspect the snow might be a little soft, as in the snow pack state when I fell last year, I do loose it a little, and would say I'm skiing at about 75% pace when off piste, think that's sort of understandable Cool

girosse.mp4 from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/38917618

Great day in Serre, 15cms of fresh! from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/38798322 Cool
ski holidays
Back home now after 4 weeks out in the mountains and nursing what feels like a puffy knee Confused

Don't think too much surprise there - I was using braces on both knees.

Piste skiing with mates on boards was not an issue and knee felt ok - as soon as I started "carving" then knee did complain - because snow was not brilliant I did not ski every day and chose to cycle / walk, all of which entailed a certain degree of pounding of the knee due to the ups and downs of being in the mountains.

One ride took in Col du Lautaret and Col du Montgenevre - 70 odd km and 1350ms vertical.

Off piste I had no problem skiing deep cold powder, but as soon as it got heavy I could feel my knee struggling and my confidence went and net result I went into the back seat and that just exasperated everything. Skinning up was not a problem at all.

Then two days in Tignes blasting around showing off to my daughter and daughter's friends (more carving and moguls) really found some soreness in the ITB area - and I think some of this was as a result of my brace too loose etc which confirms the posts about making sure your brace is right for you etc.

One element that did help was taking my CryoCuff so I could ice the knee, and a mate who is an Osteopath came out for a long weekend and he was quite impressed with the cuff as he also has a dodgy knee.

He also examined my knees and confirmed what I already know in that my ACL leg is now a fair bit smaller than my other, and he would analyse my gait etc and tell me every now and again how I was favouring the good leg at the expense of the bad, which would not help in strengthening the bad knee. So I have to isolate and exercise the bad knee to strengthen it.

So from today have started one legged squats (which I was doing on the power plates and in Bikram you do to a certain extent) - in the latest Cycling Plus there's an article which features various top cyclists talking about what they think is their "one" major fitness tip - Chris Hoy was raving about squats, saying if you only had to do one exercise that would be the one, and does not have to be done with weights - as I know from balancing on one leg, plus if you do it in bare feet that really gets the knee receptors going

I also have various clicks coming out from the knee and I don't know whether it's scar tissue.

So overall pleased with progress, though do admit to maybe pushing it maybe a little too hard before I went out, and running cross country was maybe not the best rehab protocol.

Will stick with squats at home, cycling and ten sessions of Bikram a month and hope that by next season I'll be back close to where I was prior to the ACL going, but somehow do think that the knee will never quite be the same* and that I'll always suffer confidence melt down in soft heavy snow Sad

Oh and hopefully will windsurf as ever as that sort of is my main "discipline" as we live on the beach, though the Dark Side (kitesurf) beckons in June in Morocco. And Aaron Hadlow World Champ Kitesurfer who when in the UK kites here did his ACL a few months back.

*Not helped by being nigh on mid 50's by next season Sad
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
somehow do think that the knee will never quite be the same

It may be that your knee is never the same simply because you'll always be a bit more aware of that knee and will now pay attention to any little niggle that you may have completely ignored before your injury. But as you say, no surprise that you're not quite back to normal yet - it's only been about 6 months hasn't it? My doctor, physio, surgeon (and the ski instructors I know he has operated on) have all said 6 months to me to get back to being completely normal and that's what I had in mind when I was thinking about possibly contacting someone like Rob and getting some pre-season confidence building lessons in the autumn. But I have reigned myself in because actually it can take anywhere from 6 to 18 months and while sticking to the programme is really important if you want to recover, I think it's one of those things where going the extra mile in effort doesn't necessarily guarantee hoped for returns.

If I manage next season what you have managed this season I'll be happy, so glad to hear you say you're pleased with your progress. And just remember what the family planning lady said when she came to speak to us when we were schoolgirls... make sure you protect yourself when you've got a cock coming at you wink
snow report
miranda, very good - the bit about the family planning lady Smile

Should add that my one legged squats are totally pathetic when looking at how to do them correctly - reckon I'm only 20% there - though hopefully should see that improve if I can be bothered to persevere.

Interestingly I can still feel tightness in my hamstring etc - but in my case I have and always will be not that flexible compared to most - that's also a negative I think in getting back to where one was before.

The cross country running was the pre-season confidence for me in that I always said if I could run down hill off road at speed then skiing should not bother me - just need to find something similar to mirror heavy soft ACL breaking powder Sad
latest report
Weathercam, How long between your op and skiing in the end ? I'm due to have mine shortly and hope to be back for next season.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.., brief synopsis as it were..........

Did ACL March 22nd

Scan 12 May

First Op scheduled July 14th that was then put back to Aug 25th and then finally Sept 1st

Back on skis March 12th !!

More detail here you guys might be interested in re prehab, the Op and then rehab
http://www.anotherharddayattheoffice.co.uk/aclknee.html

If I was going through it again - might have concentrated more on flexibility and maybe not caned it as much on the running in the last couple of months prior to skiing.

Best of luck to you guys - think if you have at least 10 months pre getting back on skis you should be firing
latest report
Weathercam, Cheers, so when you say flexibility do you mean working on the range of movement in the leg ?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy