Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Switzerland: Verbier snow report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Only Ruinettes and La Chaux today but fabulous conditions. Some pics here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=83645&highlight=

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bob - not many posters on this thread - do you think the exchange rate will see significantly less skiers in the 4V this season?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey Fifespud, I'll be out in Verbier in a few weeks. Keep it up BobinCH, it's great to see so much of the whiter stuff Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fifespud, and me end of Jan Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fifespud wrote:
Bob - not many posters on this thread - do you think the exchange rate will see significantly less skiers in the 4V this season?

Hope so but doubt it.... there was a large impressively kitted out crowd stampeding for the first La Chaux chair. The Faction collective, Super Turbos, Flyswatters, Atlas, S7, Darksides the list goes on. There was an old fella with a pair of DPS 112RP's and he was definitely in the skinny category. And it seems everyones bought a Snowpulse since last year.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bob, I'm awaiting my son's translation and I'll respond!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Please keep up the reports. I'm staying in Thyons for the week starting the new year. I NEED to know what's happening.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Opening up, bit by bit. Savoleyres today ...

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another 25 cm snow overnight and still coming down. Long powder descents available nearly everywhere today but it was difficult to see what's up and what's down. Finished early afternoon after skiing top to village through wonderful untracked snow but in less wonderful near zero visibility. Light was much better as you get down through the low trees and chalets ...

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dirty Gibson wrote:
Please keep up the reports. I'm staying in Thyons for the week starting the new year. I NEED to know what's happening.

Dirty - where are you staying?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still snowing. In fact there's only been 3 or 4 hours since Saturday when the sun has peeked through the cloud. Great snow today but visibility was way too poor up top to go anywhere much away from the marked runs so best skiing was low down in or near any trees. Hoped to get to Bruson today (it opened for a short whie yesterday I undertand) but it was closed again for making safe. Not a day for photos but this was Verbier town at lunchtime today ...

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey Ross, I'm sat in the chalet and guess what..... yep, it's still snowing!

Spend a good chunk of the day over at Savoleyres today as visibility was reasonable, but the snow everywhere is fantastic. Here's hoping for a bit of sun tomorrow.

G.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Robotdancer, haha !! I knew I wasn't talking to myself !! Smile And yep, there's been another 4 or 5 inches on the road outside in the 2 hours me & my bro have been out. Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross wrote:
Still snowing. In fact there's only been 3 or 4 hours since Saturday when the sun has peeked through the cloud. Great snow today but visibility was way too poor up top to go anywhere much away from the marked runs so best skiing was low down in or near any trees. Hoped to get to Bruson today (it opened for a short whie yesterday I undertand) but it was closed again for making safe. Not a day for photos but this was Verbier town at lunchtime today ...

Good piccy.

How low down is the snowline, moffatross?

Into the valley?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Into the valley great title for a song. These next 3 weeks are going to pass so slowly Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Fifespud

Staying at a new chalet in Les Collons belonging to a friend of the other family we're travelling with. I don't know exactly where it is.

I've been studying the maps. Can anyone give me an idea of how long it takes to get from Siviez back to Thyons. I don't want to get caught on the verbier side at the end of the day if I can help it. I've skied the area before, but based in Haut Nendaz. Tortin is one of my all time favourite runs.
snow report
Dirty Gibson, It depends a bit on whether there's a queue at the Greppon buttons. If not about 40 minutes, but I have queued at the buttons for up to 20 mins in the past.

Whitegold, all the way to Le Châble.
snow conditions
Dirty - Steve is spot on. Once your up GB you're in clear blue water - you do have to get up the T-Bar at Drus which can be a bustard (queuing) but you can slip down behind it and cut across to the Veysonnaz run - the Veysonnaz bubble runs until everybody is off the mountain.

I'll be in a chalet at Les Pyramides which is in Les Masses on Hogmanay - I would reckon your chalet will be around Les Masses too - that's where most of the development has been. A sleepy little spot but pretty good access to the greater 4V, especially since they built the new 4 man up to the top of Etherola. Once they replace the Les Masses chair next year (at the moment an antiquated 2 man) it will be even better. The main down side being the little piste back to Les Masses can be a bit terrifying for the inexperienced.

You will probably be aware but I would stock up on some food down at Sion before heading up - the shops are a bit limited - and don't bank on wild and crazy apres!

Ditto Tortin. For very experienced skiers L'Eteygeon is reckoned to be first class - off the back of Greppon Blanc and round to Evolene (you can get a bus back from there I believe) - I might pluck up the courage this year myself - maybe Bob or Swampy can tell has what level of difficulty it actually is?

I know a very good ski guide for off piste carrying on - Gilles Sierro - who is a really good guy who knows the place better than the back of his hand - if you are looking for that sort of stuff.
snow report
Fifespud, I reckon If you can ski Tortin you can ski L'Eteygeon via the poled route. One of the best things about it though is the variety of routes that open up with a bit of hiking and obviously that can get as interesting as you want to make it. There is a bus and the times are listed on the panel at the top of the Greppon poma.
snow conditions
Steve Sparks wrote:
Fifespud, I reckon If you can ski Tortin you can ski L'Eteygeon via the poled route. One of the best things about it though is the variety of routes that open up with a bit of hiking and obviously that can get as interesting as you want to make it. There is a bus and the times are listed on the panel at the top of the Greppon poma.

Cheers Steve - is it easy enough to negotiate or would you be better with a guide first time?
snow report
Fifespud, As it's an itinarary there are poles which you can follow like Tortin and the Col de Gentianes, but that route gets tracked and bumpy fairly quickly. The most fun is to be had exploring a bit and you do get that marvellous sense of skiing in the wilderness, so you can do it without a guide, but more fun with.
snow conditions
Speaking of Tortin ... it opened today for the 1st time this season. And I was 4th skier in (but not 4th skier down !!) Very Happy

snow report
moffatross, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Fifespud, is the 4V link open? Etygeon would be a nice option if is.

moffatross, what time did Chasseur open? And any news on Jumbo/Tortin opening. With good weatehr forecast sounds like tomorrow should be a ski day Happy
snow report
moffatross, What I love in your second pic is the line of lemmings off to La Mouche in the background. I think I'd do a few Tortins before heading over there.

BobinCH, Talk of Jumbo this weekend. They're being uber cautious about opening it up.
snow report
Link not yet open from Les Collons from Siviez. They were meant to blast this morning but did not get around to it. Did lots of tree skiing aboe les Chattees this morning - absoluly no one there - had the whole place to ourselves - would not have been like that if link from Verbier open!! This afternoon skiied down Mayan des Puisses - was very heavy at the bottom - bit much for my tired legs. Etherolla chairlift shut so top was fantastic - although it was definitly transceiver and shovel weather...
ski holidays
Would agree that Gilles Sierro is excellent local guide who will take you to the limit of your ability and perhaps courage !! The area near Tsa and les chottes was good for heavy powder today but lifts say greppons opening tomorrow. Sadly at my chalet 1650m it has been raining all afternoon although snowing at 1850. I think I would take the airbag out in this as well. The butcher in Vex is excellent Little Angel
snow report
AJD - where is the chalet?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fabulous skiing today below Greppon - fresh tracks everywhere - so good!
ski holidays
Another great day in Verbier. Some more pics here... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1932663#1932663

snow conditions
Fifespud - we are in Les Collons Village du Rhone - actually skied to the door despite the thick ice crust post rain.

Feel sorry for Veysonnaz as main piste was shut having been washed away last night Crying or Very sad

I queued for the greppon opening and it was worth it with beautiful powder. The avalanche earlier this week has left cover a little thin in places and my gotamas are in the shop tonight!!
Roll on another great day tomorrow. Hope Mont Fort opens.
snow conditions
Last day here and the sun was shining at last ...

Inversion over the village ....

Lots of fresh tracks to be had ...

And some not so fresh ...

And some hard work ones too ...

Cloud is now down in the Rhone Valley ...

snow conditions
moffatross wrote:
Last day here and the sun was shining at last ...

Inversion over the village ....

Lots of fresh tracks to be had ...

And some not so fresh ...

And some hard work ones too ...

Cloud is now down in the Rhone Valley ...

Last day syndrome. Keeps you coming back.

Veysonnaz must have been closed due to low viz - it cant have been washed away ffs?
latest report
Veysonnaz piste was closed but I skied down and the bottom was like may - lots of brown earth and icy remnants - fortunately for the hotel at the bottom it is snowing again today and at least 10cm so far at 1650 on my balcony. Off to pick up the turkey Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Clear blue skies this morning. Really hoping that Father Christmas brings us Mont Fort for the first time this winter. About 15cm fresh yesterday.
snow report
Verbier is officially a ghost town. Thanks to the strong Swiss franc. Or perhaps it was a gift from Santa...

The Mont Fort was open. No queue... Same symptom for all the other lifts.

Not that many skiers coming down either...

The snow conditions on the run down to Tortin were fabulous. Until 2 PM, I saw practically no one...

There's still plenty of untracked powder if you know where to look. Anyone feel like a banana?

snow report
Some stunning recent deep pow footage shot at Nendaz

http://youtube.com/v/nHhPyFkNYQA&feature=player_embedded
snow report
BobinCH, Thanks for sharing. snowHead
snow conditions
Really nice vid. Superb conditions. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
Much busier yesterday. All the parking in Le Châble was full by mid morning. Warmer too. Planetski are reporting a family of four caught in an avalanche on Mt Gele. http://www.planetski.eu/news/3363 Sounds like they were OK.

Snow staying in lovely condition. Chalky and grippy and still pockets of fresh to be found.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy