Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowplough turns

Poster: A snowHead
One of my colleagues has recently given me a book she picked up in a charity shop titled "we learned to ski" - I think its from the 70s and looks a bit dated. However, looks quite interesting and worth a read anyway.

I was looking through it the other night and it mentions Ski Evolutif. I was quite surprised as I wasn't aware that you don't do snowplough turns in Ski Evolutif. Although I am a 3rd week skier, I have always thought that the snowplough is one of the most important manoevures, if not THE most important.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wouldn't call it anything near important. It tends to be one of them 'learn and forget' things - essential that you learn it so you can progress, but once you progress, most people forget about it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It certainly is important. It is really surprising to see how bad, very experienced skiers, can do snowploughs.

We do them as part of warm up exersices every week when training/learning
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Put your skis into snowplough position, and if you want to turn, press on a ski. Nothing to it rolling eyes
The one thing I've never been able to do though are backwards snowploughs. The amount of times I've fell cause a teacher/instructor wanted me to either ski backwards or do a '360'.... Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My introduction to skiing was in Les Arcs where they used (still use?) Ski Evolutif. The snowplough was taught on the fifth day as 'something that might be useful in a lift queue'.

I'm not an expert skier by any means, but I can do snowplough turns if I want to (?) and I don't consider this skill to be of importance. The snowplough is useful for teaching the effect of weighting the skis but is not in itself something one uses in practice.

I take it the book you've got is the Sunday Times one? A great textbook in its time.

All IMHO as a decidedly intermediate skier, of course Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mark_s, backwards snowploughs are easy where are you having problems ?

Snowploughs are useful even for experienced skiers although though rarely used anyone who thinks otherwise is badly mistaken
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, believe it or not, skiing backwards isn't something I've found neccessary Wink
So I've never really practiced backwards snowploughs. If I done some playing around with them, then I'd be okay. And after last year I think i need to. Out of a group of every level from beginner upwards to my group in extra skiing with a teacher, I was the only one who fell trying to do that Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mark_s, just keep it gentle, exactly like a fowards snowplough, start off an a quiet blue somewhere and just keep going till it gets easier, the only thing thats different is how your legs bend
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair wrote:
The snowplough is useful for teaching the effect of weighting the skis but is not in itself something one uses in practice.

Agreeing with D G Orf, this should say: "but is not in itself something one uses much in practice."

I imagine everyone uses a snowplough from time to time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would guess it is the Sunday Times book. It's amazing how much of it is still relevant. I particularly like the "Snowcraft" section towards the end. Are You a crafty skier? ( I think there's another thread looming there).

How often do you see instructors snowplowing? Surprisingly often (and I don't mean when they are teaching it). It's a very useful, non-dynamic way of controlling and maintaining speed. I would be surprised if I didn't snowplough at least once a day - lift queues, crowded paths, skiing with kids, etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The snowplough is a good way of controlling speed on a gentle narrow section. I remember using it often in Sestriere and Sauze as some runs were interlinked by narrow "paths" which were aprox 10-15 meters long but relativley steep so Parallell turns were not possible as a means of controlling speed so the only option open was a snowplough without the turn section!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A good snowplough carried out correctly is also a relatively effortless way of controlling slow to medium speeds.

As demonstrated by ESF instrucors whilst lighting a cow dung strip on a drag lift Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm cr@p at snowploughs and always have been, when I learnt to ski I found that as my snowplough didn't seem to work to slow me down the best way of stopping was a hockey stop, I then realised that this could be converted into a turn and hey presto I could sort of ski and the snowplough was forgotten for a while.
Then last year doing race training the coach had us doing snowploughs - he pointed out that if you get yourself into a snowplough position then lift your inside ski and put it by the other one you are in the ideal parallel skiing position - doing a snowplough forces you to do all the right things with your outside ski - so the theory is doing snowplough well helps all your skiing - I found that what it did do was make my legs really hurt!! rolling eyes
Mrs H spent ages practicing snowploughing when she did her level 1 instructors course and reckons it really helps your skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mark_s wrote:
I wouldn't call it anything near important. It tends to be one of them 'learn and forget' things - essential that you learn it so you can progress, but once you progress, most people forget about it.

Have you tried the ice-fall section of the Vallée Blanche (for example) without using a wedge?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Always had a really good snowplough. Women are better, it's the hip width. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

mark_s, just keep it gentle, exactly like a fowards snowplough, start off an a quiet blue somewhere and just keep going till it gets easier, the only thing thats different is how your legs bend

D G Orf, There IS a Ski Instructor lurking inside you! snowHead
latest report
snowbunny, speak for yourself, my @rse is not wide! wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 11-08-05 9:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
IncogSkiSno, well probably snowHead
snow report
IncogSkiSno, You don't need a wide @rse, it's the hip width that counts Laughing
snow conditions
Way back in the days when ski racing was partly filmed by another skier skiing, the Beeb used a skier who called his technique a racing snowplough. Quite a tough job, I would guess that it was a wedge rather than a wide plough, but to carry the camera, and film as well Shocked . Can't quite remember the guys name, (Fitz?) but he was featured in the Radio Times, a "hows' it done" article :
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:

It's a very useful, non-dynamic way of controlling and maintaining speed.

ginger winger wrote:

The snowplough is a good way of controlling speed on a gentle narrow section.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'd say I use a snowplough many times during a skiing day. It is effortless on a gentle slope and allows very fine control of position and aspect in both directions with no discernible mental or physical effort. I use it mainly at the tops and bottoms of lifts, but also where gentle and narrow or where very crowded. Often rather than swinging down the icy middle of a narrow path crowded with skiers who are slightly out of control, I snowplough down the cliff edge side where there is softer snow usually with an upward cant so as to make swinging uncomfortable if not actually difficult. However, I find snowploughing on a steep pitch does involve concentration and physical effort so it's then easier to ski parallel.

I think there's a snobbishness about the humble snowplough. Many skiers seem to think they're too good to be doing it and don't want to be seen doing it. I find it comfortable and useful.
snow conditions
I'm very happy that I know how to snowplough. If something slightly surprising happens in a cramped spot, like a big fat Europerson skiing across you in a lift queue, it's very handy, and I use them occasionally on the piste. It's another tool in the box, along with sideslipping and stem type turns.
snow report
Another example of snowplough use, I once skied for I guess the best part of 3km in a snowplough in a blizzard with a very upset young woman holding on to me, her idiot boyfriend had taken her up the mountain after she'd had just one two hour lesson and had actually when I came across them got completely lost, on the race track instead of the blue run ! If I hadn't been able to snowplough properly I could not have got the young lady safely down, the only answer would have been for her to take her skis off and walk uphill for about 1.5 km to the nearest station,mind you I had a few choice words to say to her boyfriend once I'd got her safely down to the next station and before I pointed my skis down hill and disappeared into the Blizzard wink
ski holidays
laundryman, my main use of snowploughs seems to be coming up to lift queues, or while desparately trying to avoid the crackpot who suddenly slows down in front of me. I have to say, it does work though wink
ski holidays
Big respect to the patrollers who can ski non-stop from top-to-bottom in a snowplough whilst controlling a sledge with someone in it - now that really is true snowplough mastery!!
snow conditions
There will be quite a few people out there grateful for the fact that the rescue teams can snowplough down a run with a body bag!

I find it very useful when stuck behind a beginner on a track - it's a great way to control speed - I must learn to overtaken on the side with a drop then I wouldn't have to hang about behind them!
ski holidays
mark_s, By your own admission on another thread, you're not very experienced. I infer from this that you're at the point in your ski-ing life as mentioned by slikedges, . Even in Ski Evolutif they found they had to teach people to snowplough. In the early days they didn't at all. There are two problems with early ski evolutif technique: firstly that it was designed for the compact ski, which in turn was designed to rotate and slide - skidded turns were the thing. They discovered quite quickly that this was a bad idea resulting in numbers of totally out of control skiers everywhere - result: the compact ski died a death. Secondly because of the origins they taught people to turn their bodies (rotation) in order to turn, which is a really bad fault, and results in lack of ability to progress and also lack of control, particularly on steeper or icy slopes. Now, I should think (but do not know) that they've adapted ski evolutif to the modern carving ski, but it isn't necessary any more. Would you pay extra for your lessons so you could change your skis every other day? Who pays for that? The ski shop??? Logistical nightmare!! BTW I have used the system once or twice for physical reasons.

The snowplough and snowplough turn (what ever you want to call it) is the essential base to everyone's ski-ing. A snowplough turn is no different (except in the position of the inside ski) than a parallel turn. If you can do it well, you can use it at any time. To throw away any tool is foolish - they're all useful in different situations.

Guys - if you have pain in your hips, move your hips further forward so they're over the balls of your feet, and it won't happen - it's the sitting back that causes it.David Murdoch, spot on!
snow report
I think my comment has caused some confusion. What I meant was that people learn them, but once they are past that stage, it isn't something they'd come back to and actively practice. It just tends to be there in the back of your mind if you need to use it. In that sense, I wouldn't consider it 'one of the most important manoevures, if not THE most important'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I recognise the failures in the Ski Evolutif teaching that you mention. Took me a long time to correct the faults; I'm not sure I have, entirely. I didn't mean to be as dismissive of the slowplough as I probably appeared!
snow conditions
My view - it's a useful tool to have, but not one to overuse. It isn't a very natural "aligned" position. I shudder when I see people who are capable of doing a check turn or something similar prefering a snowplough. I sometimes ski with one bloke who does this all the time even though a couple of years ago he trashed both knees as a result of using this tactic.
ski holidays
I remember at Les Arcs seeing a terrified skier holding a perfect slowplough position appear over the brow on the piste - airborne! I just knew it wouldn't end prettily....
ski holidays
Alastair, a perfect illustration of my point Laughing
ski holidays
Alastair, I'm not sure you can blame the snowplough for that particular situation... wink
latest report
David Murdoch, 'who the bloody hell put that brow there!?'
rolling eyes
snow conditions
Alastair wrote:

I imagine everyone uses a snowplough from time to time.

I remember my sister telling us a story about a time she went on holiday with a group of mixed ability skiers.

At the end of one day, one couple, who had not been skiing for more than a week recounted that day's events. They had got seperated from their companions at the top of the mountain and had found themselves at the point of no-return at the top of a particularly hair-raising black run. They were asked how they had managed to get back down safely, to which they replied that they had come down in a snow-plough Shocked WOW

Everybody remarked that it must have taken a lot of courage and thigh-burning stamina to negotiate the black run in a snowplough.

No, they replied, they had come down the black run "In a snow-plough" - they had managed to hitch a ride on a passing piste-basher! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I don't know often sympathetic pisteurs give forlorn skiers lifts in their piste-bashers, but the "snow-plough" was definitely invaluable to this pair of skiers Very Happy
latest report
Hywel, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
snowbunny wrote:
Always had a really good snowplough. Women are better, it's the hip width. wink

Quote:
snowbunny, speak for yourself, my @rse is not wide!

Also known as Chalet girls @rse, They of course blame too much good food Toofy Grin

PS. I know I'am on safe ground Nadenoodlee is in Spain this week! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Alastair, I didn't think you meant that! I also don't dismiss ski evolutif - it was a really good idea, that didn't quite work. In fact it would definitley work better now with short carvers - start on snowblades, then 1.20s building up to around 1.40-1.50 skis - nae bother! Your snowplough jumper must have been funny to watch - at least in retrospect!

mark_s, I take your point, but as the snowplough is the first way you learn to control your speed, and as the snowplough turn is the base of every other turn to come - I would certainly conisder it VERY important. However, personally I still consider sideslipping THE most important thing you'll ever learn on skis. Little Angel
ski holidays
easiski, falling is pretty useful too wink
latest report
mark_s, Yes, but inadvisable if it's very steep and icy! Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy