Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airports for Gressoney

Poster: A snowHead
So I know that Turin is super convenient for Gressoney, but the flight times offered by BA, Easyjet and Ryanair aren't the greatest. I'm looking at Milan Malpensa. This doesn't look too much further than Turin on the map - can anyone let me know how long it is likely to take to do that drive? I'm relatively calm in the face of Italian driving BTW.

Would it be a lot longer from Milan Linate or Geneva (going through the Mt Blanc tunnel)?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, It will only take you about 45 mins Italian speed driving longer. Howver if you could get a flight to Malpensa that would be much easier as it is West of Milan as opposed to Linate - I wouldn't bother with GVA as it is a bit further and the roads aren't as good as I recall (??) - I should have added that getting around the Milan ringroads has always been proved too much for me without making at least one mistake rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try:

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/tpl/hme/MaHomePage.htm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, Malpensa not much (30-45 mins) longer although you have a short cross country section until the new motorway opens. You need to follow signs to Novarra and get on the Aosta motorway that way. Can be tricky late at night.

Linate about an additional 30 mins on top of that. NB direction around Milan ring road seems relatively immaterial, as we've gone both ways round and it hasn't made much difference.

Once the new motorway opens, there will be little in it between turin vs malpensa.

Geneva, about 3 hours, depending on tunnel. We've done that on occasion but Turin definitely best. Road from Geneva absoultely fine apart from the section from the tunnel to Courmayeur, which isn't motorway.

That said, returning hire cars to Turin is totally confusing with all the signs pointing in the wrong direction. Went round the car parks 4 times last year before finding the right way. By that point running late for the flight I complained to get a typical Italian admin response, "yes, everyone says that".
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone. Malpensa didn't look much worse, but it's good to have that confirmed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, Glad I'm not the only one who hated Turin - ended up going into a one way on the 2nd time around thinking I must have missed it, and had to reverse with annoyed parking lot attendents ahead and people coming into the airport behind Confused
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
agavin, quite.

Turin is fairly far down my list of airports I like. Amsterdam (Schiphol) is probably at the top.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno,

Where are you staying..?

I have some names of guides who organise everything from the Dufour in La trinite..!!

Am I the only one that thinks the link fromthe tunnel all the way done to the Gressoney turnoff..can't remember the name...is not so great despite it being a new road...!! The long drive up to the village is intereseting....all the flood damge etc....!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno,

Where are you staying..?

I have some names of guides who organise everything from the Dufour in La trinite..!!

Am I the only one that thinks the link fromthe tunnel all the way done to the Gressoney turnoff..can't remember the name...is not so great despite it being a new road...!! The long drive up to the village is intereseting....all the flood damge etc....!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, looks like I might be doing two trips now! First one, we'll probably be in the Stadel hotel in Gressoney St Jean. Seems quite difficult to get places in that price range (ie quite low) just for a long weekend but the Stadel has been up for this in the past. Probably won't be taking a guide but there will be some fairly gnarly mountain men (I don't have enough facial hair to qualify as this just yet Laughing ) on the trip so we should get to some good places.

Also doing a long weekend with a guide a bit later in the season. I've told him I want to step it up a bit so who knows what that will bring Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno,

I used the local website to do ad hoc trips and have had joy at the old quaint Busca Thedy in La Trinite. That is a short walk to the lifts, 5 mins max. If you have to stay in St Jean it is quite a drive up the valley to get to any meaniful lifts. You could always try the refuge that devides the Gressony and Alagna valleys....you will probably spend most of your time getting up there anyway.

Do you know the valley..??
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shh. please don't talk about Gressoney in an open forum, let's keep it quiet Wink

I've stayed at the DuFour and also the sport hotel opposite, v handy for lifts and guides, seeing as the head guides wife runs DuFour!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT, I'll pass that recommendation on to the organiser! I went with the same group last season and we stayed in the Stadel. I actually don't mind a bit of a drive first thing - ski in ski out is a bit of a myth except in nonsense places like la plagne wink

My knee was a bit nacked when I went last season so I didn't ski as much as I would have liked. However, as you say, we always headed out from Staffal (?sp). We had lunch at that refuge on the first day - lovely rabbit pasta but it's nice to get back into the valley for the night (unless you're on a proper hut based tour, obviously). Did a few runs from the Polvere Rosa book but plenty left to do. Those ones off Punta Vittoria look tempting...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno,

It sounds like you have it covered then if you don't mind the drive. The walk to the lifts in La Trinity will only be a blast down to Staffal for the lifts upto the ridge so nothing really gained. They say that St Jean is a bit livlier but the skiing kanckers us so that sort of thing doesn't count in Monterosa as far as we are concerned.

Have never got upto Vittoria and Malfatta was cancelled on us. But as you say there is plenty to do and the rides are quite reasonable.

How is Olen now that they have bulldozed it and what plans for the old old cable car....I had heard they weren't going to replace it but would lose so much height if they didn't..so hoave little choice but the to keep the car running. Not been back for a couple of years, might have to go again this year. So thats 3 trips in the plan stage. Titlis, La Grave/ADH and maybe Monterosa...sounds like we will see you in one or the other...!!

gregh,

Who is the head guide..?? I can remember Carlos and Alex from the Dufor and Roberto from Alanga.... all very impressive.
Sergio doesn't seem to get out much...probably the first celeb guide....and I don't mean that disrespectively as I have never skied with him...but his fame has spead...!!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, first I heard they were replacing the cable car, then i heard they were going to do away with it altogether. either solution would be a bit of a shame in my view, although the latter much worse. i'm quite a fan of outdated lifts in off-piste meccas - rubbish uplift = fewer people tracking the place out! no uplift at all = me using my skins a bit more than I would like

Seems like you and I have quite similar tastes in skiing (Titlis/Engleberg being on my to do list) so I wouldn't be surprised if our paths cross at some point snowHead

(i'm always too nackered after a full day off-piste to be bothered with much nightlife so i haven't sampled the delights of the St Jean apres scene!)
snow conditions
Arno,

Me too, as regards the lift...! But it can't go on much longer and I doubt Alagne can afford to replace it. They had to do the others with Eu money and they just don't get the traffic to pay for it. Also the the funds has to go through Aosta and Piedmont so it makes it more difficult. Watch this space but bulldozing Olen is criminal but that will be the econmics of the valley, more people needed to pay for the lifts so it may be changing forever...!!!

I may check within you nearer the time to see whether we will be in the same place. I will defo' be in Titlis this year, I just need consensus on the other trips....
ski holidays
JT, yes - the first time I saw that lift I was almost overwhelmed by its similarity to a rusty sardine tin!

If Olen's where I think it is (good at directions, bad at names...), it had been bulldozed by the time I went there for the first time so I haven't had the chance to compare Sad
snow report
Arno,

But very high...!!!

Olen is the run down from the hut into the Alagne valley. It may now be red/black.
Balma is the old lift that you walk through a derelict building and have to run and jump on to get out of the Stolen bowl, I think its called.
That is the bowl that is served by the old cable. If you don't take the Balma run and jump basket lift you ski all the way down to the Village. Only do this in very good snow as the routes goes through a right rat run through the trees...Boarders hate it...!!!
In fact quite a few runs end with a rat run through the trees.....!!

Still, Alagne is very quaint and worth a beer as it will be along ride upto the ridge and back to Gressoney..!!
ski holidays
Hi JT,

Carlos is the head guide, his wife runs the DuFour.

Roberta is a character as well isn't he! There is another young guy who works with Carlos who is in some of the pics of the guide book, he is an awesome skier!! I think this is a pic of him in the area just above Gress with the bubble lift, and the tram over to Champoluc

How do you find the snow and wind there? We've had 2 visits knackered by high winds closing most lifts, the worst was 50cm+ fresh dry powder up top and no lifts running Sad

regards,

greg
snow conditions
Hi gregh,

The guide looks familiar but may have shorter hair in the pic than I remember. I really liiked Roberto who we met in Alagne a few years ago and he couldn't take us skiing because he got sick. A couple of years after that we meet him again when he got assigned to us for a trip over the Monterosa - a last minute thing and we came across from La Trinite - and it was such a nice surprise. He didn't exactly remember us but he remembered his sickness, such a nice man, really enjoyed our time with him.

I have been to the area 4 times now and I have never had great conditions, certainly not the conditions you would love to get there. It is strange because the wind comes predominatly from the south so it doesn't have the same snow bias as say, France. This was explained to me by a guide called Alex from down the valley...very sorted, as they all seem to be... and he said the weather was a great problem. That and the lift issue. They may well be the the main factors hindering the area and because we have never had the conditions we haven't been back for two years now. I can imagine what a place it would be after a dump but the high winds are an issue. It was the reason they put in the Olen lift, at least you can get out of the Alagne valley because is it not so exposed.
We have moved on to Engelberg which is our current favourite and we have one or two other places we may want to explore.
I have a lot on Vid of both areas but not sure if I can post it

What plans do you have this year...? Any gems?
ski holidays
gregh,

The pic looks like it was taken in the bar at the bottom of the steep black into Stafeel, The one that all the guides meet up in to say goodbye to their clients after a day out. Don't they have a very poorly sighted dog there..?? Or maybe I just need to go there again.
ski holidays
Hi JT,

I don't think we took a piste to get there, so no idea if it's at the bottom of a steep black, it's at the top of the valley, where you can take the bubble up above a black then ski back down to Gressoney, or the "tram" up the other side and over into Champoluc.

regards,

greg
snow report
Arno,

I assume you wil hire a car because public transport is very few and far between from Milan. I think a friend did Linate and it took him best part of a day and we had to pick him up down the valley as well. At least Gressoney is better than Alagne is this respect.
snow conditions
JT, definitely hiring a car Smile

Olen is the place I thought it was. It's quite a fun fast black run, but I can see that that valley must have been great when it was totally unpisted
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy