Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
genepi, Funny as in what way???? I don't know where Bellcote is and I can't find a map online with it marked? I never remember the run names, just go up and down!

As for the walking comment, this was last Easter and this was one of the better runs! Spent a lot of time skis off walking between patches of snow.

Anyway week today will be on way and looking forward to it
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boris, its white and about at least a foot deep at the moment Cool .
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another glorious day in Les Arcs 2000. Late start Embarassed Embarassed

Decided to stick to boards today to see if we could crack it. What a great day. Did Marmotte a few times to warm up and then up Bois and did Arpette 3 times, then back acorss to Transarc and into the bowl and did Plagnette a few times. Very little falling and a lot of boarding. Knackered.

Packing now as we are on overnight train up to Paris. Will catch up when back but to those heading out there is still loads of snow here. Been a great year hasn't it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from 1800 with Owlman and Teenage Ninja Mutant Owl. Easy journey both ways by car, fab weather every day, skied our socks off for 4 days 10-5.30 and were ready to come home for a rest. And a diet! Lovely snow if you look for it - notably up high in 2000 and Grand Col, also at the top of 1600 and my favourite, Malgovert is open (it never is at New Year). Bit sticky lower down and on Solliet and Comborciere (nasty) but not really a problem in most places apart from thick stuff exposes all that is wrong with your boot fit or technique... and we found icy hard packed snow until lunchtime but not sheet ice by any stretch of the imagination. All over bar the washing and the sunburn... till next time. Oh and all the damage which some losers did to our apartment but that's another story....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After some great stuff with snowcrazy yesterday, today was "1950 owners ski trip" led by Thibaud Duchosal (one of world's top freeriders - native of Villaroger see http://espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/blog/_/post/6581057/who-thibaud-duchosal ). He's ... er... quite good, and a jolly nice chap too. Arc1950 is one of his sponsors, so between FIS competitions, he pops in to say hello. We were lucky enough to get time with him today.

Various routes over to 1800, and then through the 2000 bowl, ending up with a trip down Col de Lanchettes in time for lunch. Was v. proud of MiniRoll: despite two spectacular tumbles (not on the steep bits but 1 was a run out, and one was side slipping across heather on the side of Bois d L'Ours...) she held her own with some of those competing next week at Meribel in the British Junior Racing Championships (not saying as good, in fact nowhere near, but is a bit younger and wasn't overawed or disgraced).

Snow is now becoming 'interesting', all over. Can go from concrete to slush in a matter of metres, depending on aspect and time of day. But you have to focus on the word 'snow', it certainly isn't, like last year, 'mud'. And generally, if you know what you are doing, and where you are going, it is still pretty damn good.

Afternoon was spent on the balcony, beer in hand, edging and waxing all the skis for next week - yup another one to go. Sure beats working.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just been told the funicular has broken down..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
allanm, well they did appear to have a trainee driving yesterday afternoon..!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was running yesterday when we were on the transfer bus, just after 12 noon
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It was running yesterday when we were on the transfer bus, just after 12 noon
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hey Boris seen the forecast? Make sure to pack your snow chains Shocked Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great spring conditions continuing late last week & into this weekend...

Weather looks good for next 2 days then more variable (but no major precip. if my sources are to be believed).

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller, In the boot and winter tyres still on
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boris, Cool all looking good for you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:
thefatcontroller, In the boot and winter tyres still on

Never even contemplated putting chains on (with winter tyres), even in pretty dire conditions, but I think next week, getting up to resort, a good big umbrella may be what you need Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really enjoyed my week in Les Arcs, was pretty slushy down towards Peisy/Vallandry later in the afternoon, and by 4pm even Arc 2000 was a bit sticky on the well used home runs.

Can't believe how quiet the resort was the week we were there (24th-31st). Pleasantly surprised by the value for money of the restaurants we ate in on the mountain too, huge portions!

Favourite runs were probably Mont Blanc in the mornings and Grand Col later on when the snow had softened a bit.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 1-04-12 22:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
bobalexander1983, were you in the Cachette by any chance?
snow report
Nah, looked at it but ended up in the Belambras Club/Hotel Aiguille Rouge in 2000.
snow report
For those out in Les Arcs over Easter keep an eye out for a world record speed attempt on the flying K above Arc 2000 on a mountian bike, aiming to beat over 210kph Skullie Skullie Shocked

http://www.lesarcs.com/record-de-vitesse

It will attempted between 7am-9am on 10,11, 12th April, weather dependent. The exact time will be notified on the Les Arcs Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/lesarcs
ski holidays
First day back from a week in La Plagne. Really good trip. Snow holding up very well for spring conditions. Anyone out there this week, please give my regards to the gullys under and around the Colorado chair and the boardercross runs.
snow conditions
Hello All,

We have just got back from a week in Les Arcs, we all had a really good time. The weather really made it, there is nothing like Lunch on the slopes in the sun!

Snow was as to be expected but didn't really take anything away from the holiday, coverage on the pistes was 99.99% only very slight patches of vegetation and rocks coming through!

We spent all day Saturday as Mexicans so you may have noticed us around.

Snow is expected so it should be good for a few more weeks.

Cheers.
latest report
peege, yep, saw you going up combettes around 11am Smile
snow conditions
Limited internet connectivity but having fab ski so much better than last year Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, we'll be there then, where is the flying K?

On a separate note, how likely is it that I will need chains on Saturday? Haven't got any, so will have to buy or rent Confused
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, Its below the Varet gondola in Arc 2000. Hard to miss at the moment as they are preparing it. Its the very flat thin piste up the site of the bowl.

Where are you staying re snow chains? Looks like below 2000m might be rain but local weather is hard to tell from a wetaher forecast on line.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, thanks for that, might wander over. We're staying in Plan Peisey (1600m)
snow report
Ray Zorro, The forecast seems to indicate you won't need them but...Where you flying into as a lot of hire cars will have them as a norm.
snow conditions
Ray Zorro wrote:
thefatcontroller, we'll be there then, where is the flying K?

On a separate note, how likely is it that I will need chains on Saturday? Haven't got any, so will have to buy or rent Confused

You don't need snow chains in rain Puzzled Zero.
snow conditions
Just got back and it is raining a little outside so hope it is snowing up on the mountain. Had fun over in the Three valleys at the weekend and the Doc gave me the ok today to keep skiing as long as I am careful so will be back on the skis again tomorrow. Look forward to meeting up with those out on holiday this week. Toofy Grin

Ray Zorro, no need for chains the snow rain level is forecast for 2000m. I hope it gets lower or we could be getting wet.

thefatcontroller, nice pic, how long are you here for. Do you fancy meeting up for a ski. We plan on a trip over to La Plagne on Friday for lunch on pistes suitable for everyone if you are interested.

You can also go to my Les Arcs Winter facebook page (link below) and read the details in English of when he will make the World Record Mountain Bike attempt as soon as they send them to me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Where you flying into as a lot of hire cars will have them as a norm.

I often hire cars from Geneva and never had, seen or been offered snow chains. We did fly to Lyon once and were held up at the car hire by loads of english people asking for snow chains and the hire company staff running around like mad trying to find some. That did teach me an important lesson - never use the car hire company reccomended by the airline.
snow report
Staying in Vallandry, and had an excellent couple of days so far. The snow is usual spring conditions, but the pistes in great conditions conditions given the amount of warm weather. Fingers crossed the rain forecast for tomorrow does not do much damage. Sun just coming out now, but there is a lot of high level cloud hanging around the tops. For all skiing reds and blacks are fun, my favourite run is still Mont Blanc, and the new lift does not appear to have increased the traffic by much.
snow report
Thanks for replies guys. I am driving rather than flying/hiring, so won't bother to get any then.
ski holidays
1st clouds for 10 days today.
Wee bits of snow falling at the col de la chal this afternoon, but it was very little. Am told there was more on the 1600 snowpark side.
Banging out the avalanche guns as well this afternoon, presumably clearing out the wet snow before any new stuff falls on it.

Spent the morning over in Peisey Vallandry, all runs except Morey open to the village, and the conditions absolutely excellent. Hard, but not solid, if you know what I mean? 2000 bowl a lot softer, and late afternoon conditions beginning to get a little tricky compared to last week: (mini roll took me down combuciere at 3pm, really tough going for an old git like me), but still amazing work by the pisteurs.

Flying K snow-cycling world record attempt may be 10/11/12th April depending on conditions, and likely to be 7am ish. Looking for 210kph+.

I believe the phrase "what a <<insert>> loony" is applicable here.

Glad we're still here tho - life is pretty dolce.

AR
ski holidays
Had a run around a lot of the resort today. Everywhere in remarkably good nic, and all open and very ski-able apart from a handful of closed runs. Really enjoyed a couple of laps of Grand Col in the quiet lunch period.
Had, perhaps half a cm of snow while in the snow park above 1600/1800 at about 4 pm. Felt a 'bit' colder, but still too warm really. Turned to rain at ~ 1900M on the way down. Will see what the next couple of days brings.

Anyone been down malgovert over the last coupld of days who could comment on its condition?
snow report
72 hours to go
snow conditions
Boris, Light rain today up to 2000m the forecast says Sad
Very low cloud at the mo but no rain so far.....
I'm off paying bills and shopping in Aime/Bourg.
snow report
boredsurfin, don't care - even light rain will be better than no snow from last year
snow conditions
Just stopped at L'Arpette for lunch. Snow very heavy going below 1800 or so and viz up high not good. Intermittent sleet/rain but not enough to do any real damage. But not complaining as first poor day Very Happy
snow conditions
ringingmaster

I have done Malgovert every day for the past four days. It is in pretty good nick with the odd rock showing through, you have to pick your time though as the last few days it has been a slushfest in the afternoon.

Conditions were not brilliant today, but me and the lad still managed to do every open lift in the resort apart from Lanchettes...fecked describes us now.

Best snow we found was off Aiguille Rouge in the afternoon, everywhere else was a bit porridgey
ski holidays
Another good day today. Had fun on Bosses and the area around it – it is in fine condition. Bit of fresh on top - perhaps 3cm. Rain below about 1900 again, but not much. Although it must be colder than when the sun is out, the Foret run outside our apartment was soft at 9am. Perhaps the overnight rain??? Most runs in fine condition, but the bottoms getting slushy by 1pm

Been looking at what is shut These are the ones I have noticed):
The bottom of Morey (Red).
Parchey(Black)
Ecureuils(Black)
Poney (Blue)
The red under the slalom next to Ours (no name on piste map)
Comborciere - cant see any reason for this – was open yesterday – avalanche risk perhaps?.
Rhonaz (Blue) – not closed, but looking very patchy.
snow report
DaveB, Cheers for the comments on Malgovert - will give it a go tomorrow. Was spooked by the 'good skiers only' sign. British self deprecation I guess, but I would not naturally put myself in that category, so did not try it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy