Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France: Les Arcs 2011 / 2012

Poster: A snowHead
kapt, What time is your lesson? I've not ever had a lesson with New Gen, but I've seen people with them & they all look like they're having a good time Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kapt, What time are your lessons and are they group or private? The route is easy juts a fairly long way.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, great minds... wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
genepi, Blush
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
is it group or private lesson - we are coming to arc 2000 for 1st time on 9th march and have 1 lesson booked with New gen to improve our mogul technique & potentially off piste - they are meeting us at top of Cabriolet lift in arc 2000 - so they do come out - might be worth asking
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
genepi, thefatcontroller, 11.30 - group lessons (only us so far I believe) - if we had been able to afford private I think they would have come to us. Really appreciate your help. It's a little daunting having booked so far from our 'base' without knowing exactly how (if we could!) get there, so knowing that it is at least possible calms the nerves.
genepi, - a good time is exactly what we had in mind - that + improving our 'technique' - ie. - not falling over so often & trying to reduce the gap between the skis by a metre or so!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kapt, It will be easy to get there by 11.30 - even time to fit a coffee in at The Rilax in Vallandry before your lesson Very Happy When are you going?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
genepi, First lesson 12th march (hopefully) arrive day before. Have snowchains, but won't be surprised if it's sun all the way by then. Gather it's a touch cool just now? Are you out there?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kapt, We've been there for the last 2 weeks - just home tonight - & will be there again for a couple of weeks from March 10th. Sadly I'm not skiing this year, following an accident there on Christmas day when I damaged my knee. Wave at post 9 on Bellette for me if you pass it Madeye-Smiley . And you're right, its been seriously cold & the best snow I've seen in the 10 years we've been going there. You'll have a lovely time.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Wave at post 9 on Bellette for me if you pass it

Out on 9th march if a couple of happy fools with snowheads stickers on helmets wipe out at post nine try not to laugh too loud. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
migletski, Laughing But sadly I have noone else to blame but myself for this one - I was alone on deserted piste with lovely, if a little chopped up snow. OH was about 50metres behind me. Smack under the Derby chairlift too - how embarrassing Embarassed
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
migletski, Hi there - guess yours is private & sounds more advanced - moguls - oooer! All the best - have fun!

genepi,
Quote:

just home tonight
Even more grateful for your input - impressed with your stamina! Sorry to learn of your knee - hope it is not long-term. It's something one always worries about (especially when not 20/30/40/50 any longer!! Crying or Very sad ) Nothing to be embarrassed about - guess we all hope it won't be us - but sometimes it is!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
migletski, Hi there - guess yours is private & sounds more advanced - moguls - oooer! All the best - have fun!

genepi,
Quote:

just home tonight
Even more grateful for your input - impressed with your stamina! Sorry to learn of your knee - hope it is not long-term. It's something one always worries about (especially when not 20/30/40/50 any longer!! Crying or Very sad ) Nothing to be embarrassed about - guess we all hope it won't be us - but sometimes it is!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kapt, I agree with thefatcontroller, it is a very long way to go for a group lesson and they are very expensive, but at least you have a later start time so you should have know problem getting there. Hope you enjoy your lessons, New Gen are good. Have a fun holiday. Might see you around.

Todays update to follow later. Just sorting out the pics. Only one word to descibe today. POWDER!! More details to follow.

Heated socks!! Amazing!! After my problems last season with frostbite and now this season with -26 on a few days. I had to find a solution or stop going out on the very cold days. The answer, Therm-ic Heated Socks. You need to get the ones with the powersock ic 1200 system. Only used them for two days now, but they are great. - 20 up at 3000m today and my feet stayed warm all day. I left home at 9am and did not get back till 6pm and they stayed warm the whole time. It says they should be ok for up to 14 hrs on level 1 setting. I had them on level 2 setting today and they lasted very well. There is a level three setting, but so far I have not needed to use it. Take a look at their web page for more details. Very Happy

http://www.thermic.com/#/sport/en/products/warm_feet.html
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Today was a POWDER day again. Yes, despite the fact that it has not really snowed much since 5 Feb we found fresh, untracked powder from almost the top of a mountain to the forest below. Shock

After the small pockets we found yesterday, it gave use the motivation to go to one of the less known areas in the hope of good snow. It took some effort, but the rewards were worth it. Twisted Evil

Take a look at the photos. Although I did not take many today, just to cold (the sign said -20 at 3000m) I think they tell the story. But I did take the camera out lower down where it was a little warmer, only maybe -12. It was a very good day. We might even go back again tomorrow. Very Happy

For those coming out, the pistes are in excellent condition in most places with a firm base and not much sign of ice, although they are hard packed coming into some stations and lifts. the off piste at the sides of the pistes are well tracked but still fun to ski as are the piste natures and you can find some great snow further away in the back country so it is worth taking a guide. If anyone wants to be in any of the pics I take, send me a PM and we might be able to arrange something. Smile

The pics for today are posted in the Feb 2012 Album of my Les Arcs Winter page. Here is one just to show you what it was like. Enjoy! Toofy Grin

snow report
snowcrazy wrote:

Heated socks!! Amazing!! .........................

http://www.thermic.com/#/sport/en/products/warm_feet.html

Look great. Where did you buy them and any idea how much?

Cheers
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:
DamonST, your in for a good time with more snow forecast for the weekend. Have a good holiday. If you fancy meeting up for a beer or even to get a few pics in the off piste send me a PM on here or over on my facebook page.

Got here this afternoon, practically baked to death by the heaters in the coach (methinks the friendly french driver was bahamian in a previous life).

All checked in, carre neige added to the lift pass, hire skis picked up and just stuffed our faces in the hotel restaurant. Going to have a reasonably peaceful night tonight, then hit the slopes bright and early tomorrow.

Appreciate the offer Chris, however we are still finding our snow legs, so off-piste is a little out of our comfort zone this season. Maybe next time Wink
snow conditions
POWDER again!!! Just could not resist the idea of riding the powder fields we found yesterday one more time.

Having met up with the others, we set off from Arc 1800 and headed to the high mountains in very cold conditions again this morning. Minus 18 in Arc 1800. Crying or Very sad

The pistes we skied in the Paradiski area today were all in excellent condition and for anyone coming out you are in for a great time. The snowpark looked good and so did the bordercross above Arc 1600 and Peisey Vallandry.

A special skiercross course in Arc 1800 is being built for the kids GMX skiercross championships being held in Arc 1800 this week.

I had a chance to speak with the organiser of the competition this morning and he said he hopes that there are some English kids (9 - 14 year olds, boys or girls) this year who will enter the competition. It is not to late. They do need to be a good skiers!! The first races start on Tuesday.

To enter this event you need to call ADS lift office: Phone +33 (0)4 79 04 24 00 or visit any lift office or tourist office in the resort for more details.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lesarcs.com%2FgmxTF&h=BAQFmE6pTAQFfxCc-ORFoDwt6icT_0EefGCyiUKK2hChTag

GMX - Gavaggio Monster Cross www.lesarcs.com

After an eventful trip we finally made it to the powder fields. One person had a fall of some 200m down a couloir of firm chalky snow! Ouch!! But I do not mind posting about this as he walked away with only hurt pride!! Very lucky!! rolling eyes

Please take care out there. The couloirs are great fun to ski, but with firm chalky snow, if you loose your edge you WILL fall a long way. To quote a French ski instructor who came to help, 'do not ski to fast on this snow, a mistake could be fatal'. Sad

Take a look at the photos of the powder we skied again today. They just about say everything that is needed. Despite the fall, it was another good day in the mountains and even the person that had a fright came home with a smile on his face in the end. Toofy Grin

Tomorrow we hope to find yet another powder field to ski. Very Happy

The pics from today are now posted in the Feb 2012 Album of my 'Les Arcs Winter' page. Enjoy!!

I do like the patterns we try to make!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 12-02-12 0:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
snowcrazy, those socks look excellent. How much? Also, how thick are they? they sound, from the description, as though they might be a big hefty to fit inside close-fitting ski boots.

Nice photo. snowHead
ski holidays
pam w, thefatcontroller, The sock cost about 280 Swiss Francs and I bought them in a Sports shop near Geneva. Not cheap, but they worked well again today and it was COLD!!! They are just like normal ski socks and have a special battery that seems to last all day without a problem. It does not get in the way either. They were expensive, but seem to do the job well. With my frostbite problem, I think they were worth the cost. Will report again later in the season after they have been used many tmes.
snow report
snowcrazy wrote:
pam w, thefatcontroller, The sock cost about 280 Swiss Francs and I bought them in a Sports shop near Geneva.

Thats nearly £200? Shocked . I like to change socks daily, but not at that price Shocked
ski holidays
I have just had a look online and the socks and batteries come separately. Socks £59.99 RRP and batteries £99.00. Pricey, but what price are your toes? (and you could buy 2 pairs of socks - one on, one in the wash) - Presumably the batteries are rechargeable. They look like ordinary ski socks and would go in your boots OK.
I swear by my boot dryer/heater...so much more effective than messing about with a hairdryer!
Blush
snow report
snowyowl, link to where you found them?
snow conditions
snowyowl, Yeah been thinking about buying a boot dryer. Which one do you have?
ski holidays
surfski, We used to have the cheap boot dryers, 2 things on the end of a lead. Work fine but we have put in boot warmers and you bleed them at the end of the day to dry boot. However my boots are way to tight and even with boot warmers my feet could still be amputated by lunchtime and I would not notice. Think Santa gonna be giving me new boots next year. One more trip in March and will suffer through that.
ski holidays
Firstly, bloody hell it's cold.
Now that's out of the way, to all the half term doom mongers, so far the longest que was this morning at transarc(5 mins) right at the start of all the group lessons.
Great instructor, in the lesson there is myself an 3 others, all English, which is nice. Just this mornings 2.5 hour lesson, skitracks stats are 48.7mph, distance 17.3 miles,total vert 10263 feet, 41 degree slope.
What a place is is, the snow is fantastic.
That's lunch finished off out for some more.
snow report
thefatcontroller, I was thinking of these as the are light to carry.

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/ski-boots-accessories/conform%27able/710048/drywarmer
snow conditions
surfski, Yep. thats the kind. Nice and light. One small thing. The ones we got were French plugs screwed into a UK 3 pin plug. Unscrew that and all set for French use. Ours are Thermic, like these. Note these are ready for European use. Saves on a travel plug.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermicWarmer-Boot-Wamers-Volt-Plug/dp/B0054U6ZYG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329054926&sr=8-3-fkmr1&tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks thefatcontroller, I now have a pair on order ready for my trip to LA in 10 days time!
snow conditions
Richie_S, Glad to help. Enjoy. leave some snow for us in 5+ weeks.
ski holidays
IIRC, you've already had your fair share thefatcontroller Very Happy .... I've only got a few days on the snow this year, and will endeavour to make the very best of it!!!
Cool
ski holidays
Another amazing day comes to an end!! Very Happy

We decided to do something special today. The crowds are starting to arrive and the lifts and pistes are getting busy. Not to bad yet, but it was only Sunday and many people are still to arrive. The joys of school holidays!! Evil or Very Mad

Time for a backcountry trip. After a ski across to La Plagne we headed up to the Bellecote via the couloirs of the Roche de Mio through the cliffs. Then it was time for a ski and a hike to the top of the Pointe du Friolin and then down the steep face and all the way to the valley far below and the village of Moulin, a descent from 3150m to 1260m. Smile

A real treat. We had a bit of everything. Steep cliffs, powder fields, couloirs, steep powder tree skiing, a little bit of forest track and we even spotted a deer!! Take a look at the photos to see what the journey was like. Very Happy

Tomorrow will be something completely different again, more of a piste/play day with friends and family. Might even hit the snow park and border cross courses. A full resort update of conditions will follow. I just hope it will be a little warmer than today. It was very cold!! Crying or Very sad

Pics from today are in the Feb 2012 Album of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!! Toofy Grin

snow report
Blue sky and plenty of snow covering all the pistes. Very Happy

The Snow Park was a big hit today as was the easy border cross beside the snowpark and the Malgovert piste nature plus plenty of places between the pistes and in the trees where you can find jumps and other fun things to ski between, under or over!! Twisted Evil

We managed to ski most of Arc 1600, 1800 and some of the Arc 2000 bowl today. All the pistes were in very good condition with firm grippy snow throughout most of the day. Towards the end the Cachette piste and the race course did become rather slippy, but still good fun to carve down. Off piste in most places the snow was firm and chalky, great for learning how to hold their turns, but we did find some crud, broken crust and even a bit of softer snow in places. Toofy Grin

The forest trails must have all been made by marmote size kids as I had to duck all the time or loose my head. Some of the gaps we skied were rather small as well, but except for when someone skied into another person on a blind corner or crashing on jumps in the snow park, everyone had a great time. Skullie

Tomorrow should be another fun day. I just hope it gets a bit warmer soon. My feet are great now, but it was to cold for taking pics. Maybe tomorrow the camera will come out! Sad

I hope everyone else out on holiday is having as much fun as we are with all this snow about!! Very Happy
latest report
Here is my first or 3 vids of Les Arcs hol. This one is just for the Jump Parks. better and longer vids or actual Les Arcs to follow in the next few days:

http://youtube.com/v/P80REsVqo_A&feature=youtu.be
ski holidays
Jon Ford, Brilliant video, look forward to seeing the rest. I love the soundtrack, what is it? Edit, Ok i got it now.
latest report
Jon Ford, great Very Happy
snow report
Jon Ford, Very Happy great film - looking forward to the next installment. Were you behind the camera the whole time, or is one of those skiers/boarders you?
snow report
Jon Ford, nice video. I have put the link on facebook as well so now you should get loads more hits. Look forward to the next one. Very Happy

Report of today and some pics coming shortly. Smile
snow report
Jon Ford, well put together video Jon, liked it alot... and just helps build the excitement for my trip next week !
snow report
Blue sky, good snow and loads of jumps!!

After arriving at Arc 1600 we headed to the snowpark for a quick few warm up jumps (the kids, not me) then headed over to Peisey Vallandry area and more jumps off the side of the pistes and in the trees. Finally after a couple of laps of the Derby chair we had lunch at the snack bar above the Peisey chair, outside in the sun with the Bellecote behind us. What a great setting and the food was good as well.

After lunch, up the 2300 chair and down the border cross course, through the trees and all the way to the Charmettoger chair to avoid the queues at the Derby. Then up the Transarc gondola to the Arc 2000 bowl and the Border cross course. Another little race down and some off piste to the bottom of the Marmottes chair. Then back up for another run of the border cross course and some more off piste down to the Bois de l'ours chair. A little play on the Clair blanc red (?). quote! 'that is never a red!' then onto the snowpark for a few more photos and finally back to the Beguin hotel bar above Arc 1600 for a nice hot chocolate and home.

All the pistes today had a good covering of snow, but with the heavy use this week, hard packed firm chalky snow is starting to form in many areas and it can be tricky keeping your edge coming into lifts and resort stations. Take care and give yourself plenty of room to slow down. The off piste was in good condition as well and had plenty of safe jumps to keep the kids happy all day, plus some challenging slopes to improve their technique.

Oh yes, and before anyone else posts this, I fell over on a blue piste again!!

Tomorrow the weather may start to change, will just have to wait and see, but it should be another fun day. Pics from today following shortly in the Feb 2012 album of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Enjoy!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 15-02-12 1:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy