Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
me to .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gratefulfrog, Welcome to Snowheads , enjoy the pow snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/9005228/Heavy-snow-blankets-parts-of-Germany-Austria-and-Switzerland.html
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and also from the same paper a story on trap tourist around arlberg
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9005479/Thousands-of-British-skiers-trapped-in-Austria-after-10ft-snowfall.html

and story here of towns cut off in Steiermark, east of Schladming, places like Donnersbachwald and road and train closures at the foot of the Grimming (rises up 1500m with obvious looking avi channels). http://www.kleinezeitung.at/steiermark/2919679/schnee-orte-obersteiermark-weiter-abgeschnitten.story
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jamied9 wrote:
Woo Hoo, just booked a week in Mayrhofen flying out this saturday. This thread has me very excited.

also headin to Mayrhofen on sat with 7 more,sking next week should be pretty good!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bloody hell , is every one going to mayrhofen next week . it`s going to be packed. ive been 4 time before next week so anyone wants a guilded tour of the pistes ,let me know . i`ll be on my own as my wife is going to book lessons. and im a boarder . anyone want to meet up?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are the roads from Innsbruck to Mayrhofen ok now?

tim000, welcome to tag along with my group of 6 but as we're going Crystal 'small and friendly' I haven't a clue where we will be based.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tim000,in the same boat, my wife having lessons or afternoons off, give us a shout if you find yourself over kaltenbach/hochfugen way one afternoon snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sounds good . is there a way i can message you with my mobile number. dont want to post it on here. we are in hippach , at the pension nill. plan to have a day in kaltenbach and zell am ziller-gerlos.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
solstice21, Innsbruck to Mayrhofen is fine at the moment.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tim000, send a PM - top right hand corner of the screen "Send/Read Messages"
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tim000, pm sent
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
After only a couple of hours snow shovelling this morning, I decided it was time to see snow again from the other side and managed an hour and a half on the Fieberbrunn slopes this afternoon. It was a tremendous day, blue skies and sun and great snow. The pistes were in perfect condition, grippy I would say as mentioned in the Weather in Niederau thread - firm but not in the least icy, actually the best snow I have seen for ages. The snow alongside the pistes was still powder in places but mostly tracked and sometimes difficult. Late afternoon all was relatively quiet.

Here is a photo from the top of the Reckmoos Nord gondola with the Loferer Steinberge mountains in the middle of the background.

And here one looking down the Reckmoos Nord piste from the gondola.

All in all a very enjoyable break from shovelling snow Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Espri, STOP!!!! putting pictures up like that Laughing , I've got three weeks to go before I'll be at Fieberbrunn /St Johann, my exciment levels are already high then you put these up. my praying to the snow gods worked, will keep praying for the next couple of weeks
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
breakdown, I agree, it hurts to see the pictures when it's so long to wait, 4 weeks still to go for me.
snow conditions
breakdown Laughing Please don't pray too loudly - I'm exhausted from moving snow, there'll be plenty left in three weeks. But here's some more photos to keep your blood pressure up, though from a bit round the corner.

Today I met alex_heney and we skied the Kirchberg/Kitzbühel area. Weather was perfect, blue cloudless skies. We started at the Fleckalmbahn near Kirchberg and then had to ski down again immediately because I'd forgotten my sun specs. Here's a view looking north from about the Schneebar Oberkaser on the Maierl piste (26); the pimple sticking up on the left is the Hohe Salve and the range in the background on the right the Wilder Kaiser.

Back up top we decided to have a look at the Streif, the Hahnenkamm race course for the downhill. Not to ski on it (the course is closed for race preparation presently) but alongside, using the Familien-Streif or, as it turned out, the new "parallel Streif". This alternative route was opened this year to keep a piste available while the race track is being prepared. You can get on to it either from the top of the Hahnenkamm gondola or, as we did, coming over from the Ehrenbachhöhe past the Walde lift. Here's a picture of Alex checking out his line on the Mausefalle.

I hadn't been on the parallel Streif before, so I was a little disconcerted when further down it suddenly became a black 21 "difficult" instead of the red of the Family Streif (which, confusingly, was still shown on a pole exactly opposite). However, since I hadn't read about "ambitious skiers" beforehand on the Internet page, I had assumed it was supposed to keep a route down open for an average skier. Then we came to a steep drop just before the Seidl Alm, where we had to wait while a helicopter delivered material for a VIP lounge being put up there.

Not for the faint-hearted and the photo taken from below (with the Seidlalm jump on the left) makes it look less steep than it was/felt. I thought it was about as steep as the Steilhang on the race track. However, we reached the Seidlalm intact and were able to recover our strength there with hot chocolates.

Further down the snow was rather lumpy, where the piste machines had been bashing it (especially on the slalom slopes at Ganslern). Here a view over the town towards the Kitzbüheler Horn from near the Hausbergkante.

Friends of mine have tickets to watch this year's downhill, the weekend after next, and had asked me where it is best to view it from. Never having watched it live myself, I wasn't sure, so I asked around a bit today. The suggestions may be generally of interest to snowHeads, so here they are. One approach, probably the easiest, is just the finish area. There you get the crowd atmosphere and have the advantage of being able to follow the race on the big screens.

If you want to get closer to the live action on the track (for the Downhill; the parallel Streif must be closed for Super-G and Slalom), the Wirt in the Seiseralm suggested either at the foot of the Mausefalle or by the single tree above the Seidlalm (where you can see both up and down the course and the Seidlalmsprung). Both spots are to be seen in photos above and you would have to approach from Kirchberg (the Hahnenkamm gondola isn't available on race days).

Leaving the Streif, we had a farewell look at the start-house (and Red Bull warm-up area) before making our way over to the Pengelstein for lunch.

After lunch we then started our way back from the Pengelstein II lift. For a final photo here is a view from our final run down the Maierl piste, just by the Ochsalm and lift.

All in all, it was a great day, strenuous at times. This has turned out more a Resort Review than a Snow Report - sorry. But to finish, I would say that the pistes were often harder in Kitzbühel/Kirchberg than in Fieberbrunn the day before but still very skiable. There were more people around but practically no queuing for lifts.
ski holidays
A few more cm's of snow last night snowHead
snow conditions
Great pictures, thanks!
ski holidays
I'm flying out to Mayrhofen early tomorrow too - this all looks awesome!!
ski holidays
I've been watching the black clouds hanging over the border all day, now the storm has hit me on Samerberg (Chiemgau mountains). Whiteout outside and blowing a hooley. More freshies going into the eastern Tirol and Flachgau region at least of Salzbergerland.
ski holidays
Hi Espri
Geat pics thanks

We travel to Kirchberg jan 21, a little too late to see the big race

The Mausefalle, section pictured is that Black or Red and the race route, in total is it a mix of black red

If we want to ski the parallel Streif, to see the more famous Streif course, do we have to end up the on the black you mentioned, or csan we "bale out" somewhere above it
snow report
solstice21 wrote:
Are the roads from Innsbruck to Mayrhofen ok now?

tim000, welcome to tag along with my group of 6 but as we're going Crystal 'small and friendly' I haven't a clue where we will be based.

we`re with crystal too . fly 3.13 from manchester. ive messaged you my mobile no , staying in the pension nill in hippach. wifes booked lessons 10-12 mon - thurs. this is my 5th time in mayrhofen so if you want a tour , let me know. if you end up in hippach/ramsau and fancy sharing a taxi back one night to cut the cost text me. think they do 8 seaters.
latest report
Hi Espri, You just had to put up more pictures, didn't you !!! rolling eyes . you're one lucky guy at the moment with those conditions on your doorstep, hope your taking full advantage. Right now where did I put the valium. 21 days to go.
latest report
dublin1 wrote:

The Mausefalle, section pictured is that Black or Red and the race route, in total is it a mix of black red

If we want to ski the parallel Streif, to see the more famous Streif course, do we have to end up the on the black you mentioned, or csan we "bale out" somewhere above it

If you stick to the Familien-Streif (piste 21), that is all red (where we were skiing below the Mausefalle is red). The parallel Streif, also numbered 21, has the steep black section at the Seidlalm. But I expect the Familien-Streif will be open again after the race weekend.

Come to that, the Streif will be open too - but I always leave it a few weeks until the ice of race day has mellowed. Laughing The Streif race course (the difficult sections are marked as ski route 21 on the piste map) does have steep sections (Start + Mausefalle, Steilhang, Hausbergkante) but what I find more difficult is that, when I ski it, it is also usually mogully (Steilhang, Alte Schneise).
latest report
Bit out of date now but here's a few pics of a tour 0n Jan 02 2012 from Kripppenstein over to Dachstein and back ....

View from the Krippenstein gondola

Start of the tour

Skinning up

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 13-01-12 21:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Fine photos, DB. How long did the tour take, up and down?
ski holidays
alex_heney and I skied in Fieberbrunn today. The weather was much changed from yesterday. We did see sun now and again, quite bright at times, as in this picture looking down at the Lärchfilzen chairlift and the Maiskopf T-bar...

But as the day progressed the wind grew stronger and stronger. The top section of the Streuböden gondola was closed down all day. More annoyingly, the Reckmoos Nord gondola had stopped running by the time we got over to it. However, we still had good skiing in the restricted area. The best bit was that the snow was superb, an inch or two of light powder on a firm base - just right for me Very Happy

However, about two o'clock both the lower gondolas, Streuböden und Doischberg, stopped because of the wind, which practically shut down the whole area. We retired to the S4 Alm (where we had earlier lunched well) to drown our sorrows in beer. The bottom section of the Streuböden lift started up again later and we took another couple of runs. By this time it was snowing moderately, with the snow mostly horizontal. The photo below shows the Streuböden piste in the late afternoon.

But, breakdown, don't talk about my doorstep. I cleared it when I came home at five but already there's a couple of centimetres fresh snow on it rolling eyes
ski holidays
espri wrote:
Fine photos, DB. How long did the tour take, up and down?

Thanks!
We had planed 6 to 7 hours, but it ended up taking 10.5 hours.

First lift up at approx 8:30, set off at circa 9:00, back at the car 19:30. The snow coverage was very variable (this was just before the recent major dumps) and we ended up skining 400m of altitude downwards at the end in rolling terrain. We had to skin up to a piste and ski down in the dark with headlamps.

Here are a few more pics of the tour ....

Yours truly skiing down from dachstein (I think that's the Oberfeld in the background)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 13-01-12 21:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wide open spaces!
snow conditions
Still snowing!
ski holidays
espri, great pics. Myself and partner are out in Kitz on the 18th. Been in Soll myself last week hope things are still looking like this mid Feb. snowHead
snow report
Fresh powder skiing today in Dachstein West.

All lifts and pistes were open and all pistes were in very good condition. About 15cm deep powder beside each piste, and deeper further away from the
pistes although high Avalanche warning meant that it was mostly untouched. Visibility was only fair and was quite chilly (about -10 degrees) in the morning, partly sunny and milder in the afternoon.

Fairly quiet on the slopes, as this is not a major tourist resort.

Photo is from top of Red 15 on the Annaberg side of the ski resort.

latest report
Great conditions last week in Zell am See, although a little busy on some pistes.

View from the top of trassXpress/Breiteckbahn down #1
snow conditions
Just got back from a week at Hinterglemm. Fantastic. First 2 days had constant fresh snow continuing through the day with a layer of about 20cm on the piste's each morning (after being bashed the evening before). Limited visibility and avalanche warnings. Mid week was sunny with very little wind. Fri got very windy though and they had to close some lifts. Below is from the top of Schattberg West on Fri.

http://youtube.com/v/_tLzdGvf-Mo
We left on Sat and it was bucketing down again with little wind. I have no doubt that Saalbach-Hinterglemm will be great for a while. As soon as I get some pics uploaded, I will post them
snow report
With a friend who arrived from Scotland yesterday I skied my home pistes in Fieberbrunn again today. It was overcast in the morning with flat light. The pistes, however, were in great condition, firm but not icy. It was very quiet and all the lifts were running, so that we could ski right over to the Reckmoos Süd/Hochhörndl. There the pistes were partly wind-blown but the blown snow made for soft sections too.

After lunch the weather improved and we saw the sun now and again. A first for me was to ski down the "bypass" track on the Reckmoos Süd run. Although the main piste has moderately steep sections, the track that winds down alongside would be easy enough for most skiers (especially with snow like today). In between the serpentine loops there are also wide areas of perfect powder - at least, there would have been if we'd been there a few days earlier rolling eyes. As it was off-piste was mostly tracked out or almost as firm as the pistes. Here's a photo, though, that gives an idea of what might be possible with new snow, looking up to the Hochhörndl...

And here another view taken at the middle station of the Reckmoos Nord gondola on our last run, showing the Wilder Kaiser mountains peeking out on the left, the Loferer Steinberge in the middle and the pointed peak of the Spielberghorn to the right...

latest report
EDIT.... need to resize the pics

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 18-01-12 10:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Ok, got the pictures smaller than the size of the mountain itself.

The night slope and village...

Soft snow to fall in...

Light snow...

My buddy and me...

On the last day when it started getting windy. The wind was registering at about 60km/h...

snow conditions
Thanks, AlanB1976. Love the soft snow photo Very Happy
ski holidays
Party fever in Kitzbuhel.

Die besten Hahnenkamm-Partys
snow conditions
espri, lol, the one lady that was on the ski school with my buddy came down the run with that horrified "I can't stop" look and decided just to aim for the soft snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy