Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
Snowing pretty heavily here above Innsbruck, circa 800 metres. The peaks all around seem to have got a reasonable covering the last couple of days.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, do you happen to know from local information how much snow Mayrhofen has had? I only ask because Tignes had a much lower amount reported than had actually fallen.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Anybody seen snow in St Anton ?
Yes! I was there about 6 years ago - and saw it then Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some very good accumulations overnight, specially in western parts:

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=BergNeuschnee24,DESC

Very Happy

Ischgl. Lech. St Anton all 20cm of snow last night.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Out to St Anton on the 24th testing some Whitedot and Movement skis! Was going to just take my mountain bike until last week, but think it is time to start waxing those Directors!

Clarky999, thanks for the updates!

ScottyDog
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow is now in Mayrhofen village-it wasn't there yesterday.

http://webtv.feratel.com/webtv/?bgcolor=00A1D9&design=600&cam=5637&lg=de&Top-Hotels=0&Unterkunftssuche=0&c1=0&c2=0&c3=0&c4=1&c5=1&c6=0&c7=0&c8=0&c9=1&c10=1&c11=0&c12=0&c13=0&c14=0&c15=0&c16=0&c17=1&c21=0
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
VolklAttivaS5, according to this site http://lawine.tirol.gv.at/schnee-und-lawineninfo/messstationen/r1-arlberg-ausserfern/ulmerhuette/ a metre of snow has fallen in the last three days at Ulmerhutte.

[Edited to remove horrible, horrible typo that made me look completely illiterate. Apologies to one and all.]

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 7-12-11 17:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
James the Last, thanks, I used the same site to look at Mayrhofen and it seems they have had about 25-30cm.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Deep stuff was only forecast to fall on the western & north western flanks. Now it is beeing windblown into extreme avi conditions. Tomrrow it will get much warmer moving into the weekend when another front is expected but maybe not much snow.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been watching at http://www.schmitten.at/en/service/panorama-cams.html for Zell am See/Schmittenhöhe since yesterday, finally getting a decent amount... hope it's here to stay! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It snowed heavily in St. Johann in Tirol for most of the day today, turning into sleet later in the afternoon (at valley level). I reckon around 30cm fell (in the valley). Here a picture from our course this morning...

In the Kitzbühel area the Panoramabahn and Resterkogel chairlift at Pass Thurn are opening tomorrow, 8th Dec. The Fleckalmbahn and the Sonnenrast chairlift are scheduled to open on Saturday, 10th Dec. Details (in German) here.

Some lifts are also opening in Fieberbrunn, the beginners' button lift at Zillstatt (and, I presume, the lower section of the cable-car to the Streuböden) on Friday, 9th. According to this the upper section of the red cable-car to the Lärchfilzkogel will run from Saturday, 10th Dec (giving a circuit) and possibly the new Reckmoos Nord 10-seater gondola. That should officially be opened tomorrow, 8th Dec, but maybe that's just the party. To encourage you to come, here's a photo of one of the cabins that will let you ski the Black Side of the Sun Very Happy

And here a view (before the snow came) of the Reckmoos Nord piste which the new lifts serves as well as linking over to the Reckmoos Süd and Hochhörndl lifts and the freeriding area.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
View from Saalbach this morning:

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tom W, that's better! 16 sleeps snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mhmm! Bergfex is saying Mayrhofen only got 10cm of snow on the mountain! One run open.. better than nothing I guess!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmaah, I saw that too but thought it must be an understimate because when you look at the webcams (the Ahorn one for example) the tracks going through the off piste look deeper than 10 cm even from the distance from the camera to the tracks. I'm not saying they've had loads, but I reckon it looks more like 15cm with more high up.

It's still a start though and enough to cover the pistes. The rain must have washed away the little bit of snow that fell in the town itself though.
snow report
Timmaah, there is hardly any trade to make opening the mountain up before the official opening dates worthwhile. for those who are desperate to get on their skis/boards, there is always the Hintertux Glacier at the end of the valley!

Usually there are 2 opening dates: one for partial operation either restricted to weekends or just a few lifts according to early snow conditions. Then the big opening date which usually corresponds to the first weekend of the European Christmas school holidays or the the weekend before Christmas whichever comes first.

The competition that has gone on recently to become the first non-glacier resort to open their season has skewed everyone's perspectives. Just because one poxy slope is opened in October and then kept open by über-excessive use of snow cannons and refrigeration units, everyone expects full lift operation regardless of the weather and the economic viability of actually opening everything up when there are few if any punters!

Time for a reality check people! wink
snow conditions
Timmaah, From Mayrhofen website: "The Penkenbahn and the Kombibahn Penken as well the Horbergbahn and the 4CL Lärchwald will start operating from 10 December 2011 with the slopes 1, 2, 5 and 20."

10cm was reported yesterday morning. No figure today for the last night snow.

http://winter.mayrhofner-bergbahnen.com/en/100301/winter_mayrhofen_zillertal.html
latest report
Samerberg Sue, I wasn't having a go.. I was merely stating the fact that they've got one run open. Not everythings an attack Wink

Aaah I didn't see that it said its from yesterday, makes sense now!
ski holidays
Schmitten.at reports
Quote:
Good news for snow lovers ski enthusiasts , the Schmitten starts on Saturday 10 December 2011.

So far just trassXpress and Breiteckbahn announced although I understand that to also include lifts that are accessible directly from these.
snow conditions
These pics make me very happy
http://www.hochzillertal.com/de/aktuelles/live-bilder/#
snow report
robapplegate, Nice snowHead
snow conditions
After clearing about 30cm of snow from my run-in last night, I awoke to find about another 30cm had been dumped. What a sweat, trying to get away for an early start. However, it was worth it. Today was picture postcard weather, blue sky, white clouds and snow (although melting in the valley). Here a picture of the Wilder Kaiser mountains from St. Johann in Tirol...

snow report
Syx wrote:
Schmitten.at reports
Quote:
Good news for snow lovers ski enthusiasts , the Schmitten starts on Saturday 10 December 2011.

So far just trassXpress and Breiteckbahn announced although I understand that to also include lifts that are accessible directly from these.

The German version gives a fuller list of the lifts that will be open.

Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang also has lifts operating from 9th December.
ski holidays
The instructor Anwärter course moved today onto proper pistes at the Resterkogel above Pass Thurn (at the southern end of the Kitzbühel ski area). I was surprised to find much less snow than I had expected (given what I have shovelled off my drive in the last couple of days). On the Resterkogel I estimate there were only 10-15 cm of snow and most of that was artificial (and pretty icy in places); grassy patches off the prepared pistes. Although the Panoramabahn was running, the piste beside it was barely skiable (although some people did ski down it). So practically only the Resterkogel chairlift was in action and the pistes were quite hectic at times, with dozens of training groups and other skiers and boarders belting up and down between them. However, it was another beautiful day and great weather to stand around in. I believe that the new Resterhöhe chairlift, the top station of which can be seen behind the trees in the photo below, may be starting operation on 17th December. The picture shows the view down the Resterkogel, with the Kitzbüheler Horn in the background.

ski holidays
Nordkette today - this was completely snow-free on Monday:

Sucks to be stuck back in the UK dissertation writing...
snow report
^
Fabulous picture, snow looks first class. Skiing at Innsbruck is on my to-do list. snowHead
latest report
That is an awesome photo indeed..
snow report
Not me or my photo sadly - by one of my gf's friends. This slope was literally a completely bare scree slope on Monday morning, amazing just how quickly one storm can change things! This slope is a 5 minute walk from the top lift on Hafelekar, and is thankfully avalanche controlled (parts of it are a good 40 degrees, the [also controlled] couloir just to the other side of the lift pushes to 50 degrees for a decent pitch if you take the manly entrance).

moffatross, give me a shout if you do make it out at any point - I have touring plans for the backside.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone else in Mayrhofen from 17th-24th December?
snow report
clarky999, Fantastic photo. Very Happy
ski holidays
Anyone in Schladming? Out there next weekend, looks like 50% open. What are the chances for next weekend?
ski holidays
clarky999, hope you submitted that photo for the calender, it's a amazing, as good as any pro picture I've seen Very Happy
snow report
sharon1953 wrote:
clarky999, hope you submitted that photo for the calender, it's a amazing, as good as any pro picture I've seen Very Happy

Lol cheers, but it's not my photo to submit!
snow conditions
Dr John, I've been skiing around Schladming but on the Planai as yet. See my reports here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=78906&start=120

May ski locally tomorrow but looks like there' a fair bit open now and some more snow forecast next week. Was in Salzburg today and was raining, hopefully that weather may head here tonight but come as snow.
latest report
Edges sharpened, bases waxed, scraped and buffed. Roll on friday. Mayrhofen here we come snowHead
latest report
robapplegate, oh yes I'd forgotten you'd said you were going next weekend as well. It looks like a little bit of snow is forecast for mid week and on Friday afternoon.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, Indeed I did, glad to hear about a bit more snow forecast. Looks like they're doing ok with the cannon on the webcams too.
snow report
robapplegate the Ski Club forecast says more snow for the week we are there too. Piste conditions are excellent apparently.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, Sounding better all the time. snowHead
ski holidays
For the last couple of days our course has gone up the Fleckalmbahn at Kirchberg. More of the area was open than I had expected. The lifts running were the Fleckalmbahn, Sonnenrast, Jufenalm, Steinbergkogel, Ehrenbachhöhe and the Hahnenkammbahn. That gave a reasonable amount of skiing on the so-called "little ski circus". The prepared pistes were in good condition, with only occasional tufts of grass or little stones (but more appearing as time goes on). We had good skiing (yesterday there was less sun but today was warm and sunny like summer again).

That was the good news. The bad news is that the snow cover is still very poor. As can be seen in the photo below, there is no coverage on north side of the Steinbergkogel (at the back of the picture, which was taken yesterday). The runs down to the valley are not open officially and, though a few were skiing them, I wouldn't. The official figure of 40 cms snow on the Ehrenbachhöhe hardly represents what is actually on the pistes.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy