Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 2011/12

Poster: A snowHead
I didn't ski on the Mockingalm in Kitzbühel today (though other groups did) but rather on a similar patch near the Hochfeld lift in St. Johann in Tirol. There was a good cover of artificial snow for the first day of the Anwärter instructor course I am taking. However, we saw little more than a flake of snow at valley level (there was the odd heavy rain shower). Austrian television forecasts about 15 cm for tomorrow higher up. Today I could only see (from a distance) a sprinkling on the upper hills, as on the Wilder Kaiser in the photo below.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah wrote:
planetski were reporting up to 50cm of snow for Mayrhofen.. Seems a biiit farfetched, but not complaining!!

Eeeeee! How fortunate then wink that I booked a late deal to Mayrhofen late last Thursday night when there was still not a flake to be seen Very Happy . I'm going on 17th Dec, when are you going?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can start breathing again, roll on 16th december Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head out on the 16th with uni but skiing 17th to 23rd, lot more snow expected from 7th to 9th as well! Thaaaaank f*!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robapplegate, Timmaah, yeah I saw some more snow was coming soon too Very Happy

Timmaah, which Uni is that then?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, Have sent you a PM. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Timmaah, robapplegate, P.S. have you been to Mayrhofen before or is this the first time?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5, Yes went there last february, stopped in Reid, snowboarding mainly Kaltenbach and Hochfugen and one day up the Penkenbahn and the whore berg (as my delightful children like to call it). Loved the valley so much we're going there again Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robapplegate wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, Yes went there last february, stopped in Reid, snowboarding mainly Kaltenbach and Hochfugen and one day up the Penkenbahn and the whore berg (as my delightful children like to call it). Loved the valley so much we're going there again Smile

Me too. Went last December for the first time over New Year period, I only did 2 days in Mayrhofen itself as I used the train and went over to Zell am Ziller skiing Gerlos etc for 1-2 days, Kaltenbach for 1 day and took the bus up to Hintertux for 1 day as well.
Thought the town was lovely, and the cake shop in the high street, great, no wonder it was packed every tea time. Great value for food as well.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5, now at Bristol doing postgrad, think Cardiff and Southampton are also coming but nowhere near as many as us.. (~550). And, its my first time. Trying to find info on off-piste, touring but there's no info!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timmaah, I'm at Cardiff Uni (undergrad but mature student) funnily enough but AFAIK their trip this month is to Val Thorens.

Be sure to make use of the train service included in the lift pass, it's well worth it! You can visit other ski resorts easily 10 or 20 mins down the line and the bus to Tux is well worth it as well for a day. I used to go to the other places when Mayrhofen was rammed, nice quiet pistes all week for me even though it was New Year week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timmaah, Don't know anything official about off piste but there were certainly plenty of opportunities between pistes, snow bowls and tree runs in kaltenbach/hochfugen, mainly on the link between the two. Great fun after we'd had a big dump and got you off the narrow superhighway linking the two areas. Does that really say 550 or is it a typo?

VolklAttivaS5, Don't remember a cake shop, but that may be due to the gluhwein at the end of the valley run in Kaltenbach. Are you on a family trip or solo?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timmaah, Try some of these, they mention ski touring, might depend on how good your German is
http://www.zillertal.at/de/winter/bergwinter/ski-snowboard/skischulen/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
VolklAttivaS5, aah k! Musta got unis mixed up. There's no train to Hintertux then? Just the 35min bus? Any particular areas you guys recommend? That does say 550! Crazy huh? Can only imagine how relieved Mayrhofen are that there's snow before we all come..
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robapplegate, the cake place is called Cafe-Konditorei-Bäckerei Kostner and it's quite a big pink (?) building on the right hand side of the high street as you walk up from the bottom of town (by the church) up towards the Penkenbahn/shops/Strass Hotel. If I remember correctly it had comfy seats outside and when you go in it looks like a cake counter/take away but then there is seating to the left. Seemed to have every cake going in there and delicious hot chocolate. I expect your kids would love it in there! The service is very good too.

This is a sneaky extra trip I've booked in last minute so I'm going on my own this time. Last year though I went in a group. I'd agree with the trees/bowls/off piste in between pistes in Hoch Fugen, I could have spent a couple of days easily there that's why I'm going back so I can go to the different places again.
snow report
Timmaah, nope no train there, it's the bus you want that goes from the train station.

If there are 550 of you then let us know where you are going so we can go somewhere else wink Laughing

http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=b01&featureid=994

The above might be useful to you as a newbie to Mayrhofen, stacks of info there.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, I'll keep my eyes open for the cake shop. I'll also keep my eyes open for 550 Cardiff students, shouldn't be too hard to miss.
snow conditions
robapplegate wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, I'll keep my eyes open for the cake shop. I'll also keep my eyes open for 550 Cardiff students, shouldn't be too hard to miss.

Yes do, it's great Very Happy . They're from Bristol wink
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, robapplegate, I am off to hochfugen in jan , am struggling to find a lot of info re the skiing , so any pointers would be great , snowHead
snow conditions
Neilski, Follow this link for starters
http://www.zillertal.at/
Click on the EN button top right to get it in English.
Each resort has a free (as part of lift pass) ski bus which links with the train which serves the whole valley (except Hintertux). Pity the train stops running quite early so a night out in another resort is tricky. Talking of which, does anyone know clubs/bars worth going to, age range 16 to 46!!!!
latest report
Current radar within Austria, going off well to the West and North, annoyingly just north of Schladming, occasional light snow but looks like snow getting stuck at Dachstein. Could be good for Dachstein West, Krippenstein etc, so close but no cigar. Judging by this Arlberg, Tyrol getting some decent snowfall.

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/wetterradar

and on a different note Lindsey Vonn announces she's a free agent. I'll be having snowy dreams tonight.
http://www.kleinezeitung.at/sport/schi/schialpin/2893925/vonn-stellt-klar-gibt-keinen-anderen-mann.story
snow conditions
robapplegate, cheers, I am doing a self drive, so will have a car for visiting the different areas , but was most interested in the "freeride zone " in hochfugen , did you ski much off piste when you where there ??
snow conditions
Neilski, We always go self drive too, cheaper and easier (especially with free tunnel courtesy of tesco clubcard).
I'm not sure if I'd call it a freeride zone, I just head off into the powder whenever and wherever I feel comfortable, keep your eyes open when you're on the lifts, especially those linking Hochfugen and Kaltenbach. I'm no expert so I'm sure others can tell you more.
snow report
robapplegate wrote:
Neilski, Follow this link for starters
http://www.zillertal.at/
Click on the EN button top right to get it in English.
Each resort has a free (as part of lift pass) ski bus which links with the train which serves the whole valley (except Hintertux). Pity the train stops running quite early so a night out in another resort is tricky. Talking of which, does anyone know clubs/bars worth going to, age range 16 to 46!!!!

Don't know about clubs but Mo's Bar had a good atmosphere and very good value food if you are on B&B or decide to eat out one evening.
ski holidays
Started snowing in St. Johann in Tirol about midday today and was still coming down when I arrived home about eight, 2-3 cm at 860 metres.
latest report
Anybody seen snow in St Anton ?
latest report
Chucking down with snow in Obertauern 23:25
http://www.ski-obertauern.at/
ski holidays
Snowing pretty heavily here above Innsbruck, circa 800 metres. The peaks all around seem to have got a reasonable covering the last couple of days.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, do you happen to know from local information how much snow Mayrhofen has had? I only ask because Tignes had a much lower amount reported than had actually fallen.
ski holidays
Quote:

Anybody seen snow in St Anton ?
Yes! I was there about 6 years ago - and saw it then Toofy Grin
snow report
Some very good accumulations overnight, specially in western parts:

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=BergNeuschnee24,DESC

Very Happy

Ischgl. Lech. St Anton all 20cm of snow last night.
snow conditions
Out to St Anton on the 24th testing some Whitedot and Movement skis! Was going to just take my mountain bike until last week, but think it is time to start waxing those Directors!

Clarky999, thanks for the updates!

ScottyDog
snow conditions
Snow is now in Mayrhofen village-it wasn't there yesterday.

http://webtv.feratel.com/webtv/?bgcolor=00A1D9&design=600&cam=5637&lg=de&Top-Hotels=0&Unterkunftssuche=0&c1=0&c2=0&c3=0&c4=1&c5=1&c6=0&c7=0&c8=0&c9=1&c10=1&c11=0&c12=0&c13=0&c14=0&c15=0&c16=0&c17=1&c21=0
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, according to this site http://lawine.tirol.gv.at/schnee-und-lawineninfo/messstationen/r1-arlberg-ausserfern/ulmerhuette/ a metre of snow has fallen in the last three days at Ulmerhutte.

[Edited to remove horrible, horrible typo that made me look completely illiterate. Apologies to one and all.]

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 7-12-11 17:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
James the Last, thanks, I used the same site to look at Mayrhofen and it seems they have had about 25-30cm.
snow report
The Deep stuff was only forecast to fall on the western & north western flanks. Now it is beeing windblown into extreme avi conditions. Tomrrow it will get much warmer moving into the weekend when another front is expected but maybe not much snow.
snow report
Been watching at http://www.schmitten.at/en/service/panorama-cams.html for Zell am See/Schmittenhöhe since yesterday, finally getting a decent amount... hope it's here to stay! Very Happy
ski holidays
It snowed heavily in St. Johann in Tirol for most of the day today, turning into sleet later in the afternoon (at valley level). I reckon around 30cm fell (in the valley). Here a picture from our course this morning...

In the Kitzbühel area the Panoramabahn and Resterkogel chairlift at Pass Thurn are opening tomorrow, 8th Dec. The Fleckalmbahn and the Sonnenrast chairlift are scheduled to open on Saturday, 10th Dec. Details (in German) here.

Some lifts are also opening in Fieberbrunn, the beginners' button lift at Zillstatt (and, I presume, the lower section of the cable-car to the Streuböden) on Friday, 9th. According to this the upper section of the red cable-car to the Lärchfilzkogel will run from Saturday, 10th Dec (giving a circuit) and possibly the new Reckmoos Nord 10-seater gondola. That should officially be opened tomorrow, 8th Dec, but maybe that's just the party. To encourage you to come, here's a photo of one of the cabins that will let you ski the Black Side of the Sun Very Happy

And here a view (before the snow came) of the Reckmoos Nord piste which the new lifts serves as well as linking over to the Reckmoos Süd and Hochhörndl lifts and the freeriding area.

snow report
View from Saalbach this morning:

snow report
Tom W, that's better! 16 sleeps snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy