Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotels in Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
We're hoping to go to Saalbach next Jan. Has anyone got any good recommendations for hotels there? We like a bit of comfort without being TOO pricey. Currently looking at Saalbacher Hof - has anyone stayed there or know if it is in a good location etc (it seems to be quite central)?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cathy Coins, Saalbacherhof is pricey! My sister in law stayed there and loved it but she doesn't know much German and they struggled with the language. I've stayed at the Bauer which is central and has a lovely restaurant and is a really nice hotel. It is generally a compact resort and the hotel you mention is 1 min from the main lift and only a couple of minutes to the others. We're going next Feb and couldn't get into any hotel at a reasonable price other than the Bauer Sport but it is also central and looks good. I've had the Panther recommended to me also but I'm not sure how central this is.

It's a great resort.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks hayley t for the info - yes, I've head good reviews on it here & other places which was what made us think of it for next year.

We're looking at going mid-Jan & the Saalbacher Hof would be about £560 each then, including web or SCGB discount. I kid myself that as long as its in the 500s then it's OK wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cathy Coins, Panther is very good and central location as is Bergers Sporthotel. Lots of good quality hotels in Saalbach, all fairly near to the lifts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cathy Coins, that sounds like a good deal then, presuming it's half board? We were quoted £800 for the end of Feb/early March for the SBH Shocked The standard of the hotels in Saalbach is very high and the food is excellent and well worth the cost.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hayley t, that's why we go in Jan!! Very Happy Yes, the price is for half board - the Berger Sport and Bauer are about the same price, with the Panther a bit more expensive. They all seem pretty good, it's hard to choose between them. Thanks for your suggestions scraggsy.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Kristana at the top of the main street in Saalbach is very good, its a 4* as far as I can remember and just a short walk down the street before you pick up the bottom of the pistes and you skate across to the lifts. But this main drag isn't very long anyway so anywhere on the 'high st' will be ok location wise.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My favourite is the Dorfshmiede in Hinterglemm (infact its my favourite ski hotel/accomodation anywhere). True its not in saalbach, but Hinterglemm really is the place to stay, and its only a 5 euro taxi to the centre of Salbach if you want to go. Excellent resturant, good pool and health suite, very friendly, well positioned for the reiterkogle (50 meters), zwolferkogel, westgipfelbahn, lifts. ski back to within 50 meters, of if snow is exceptional to the door. Apres in Hinterglemm is superb, Doefschmeide'd apres bar being one of the best. try www.wolf-hotels.at for more info. On the whole Saalbach hinterglem is a graeat ski circus, and you will enjoy your visit no matter where you stay. Regards Bob
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From my readings of the two places, it sounded as if Saalbach was the better place to stay rather than Hinterglemm, but Bob thinks Hinterglemm is better. Any other views?

hayley t, looks like we may be staying at the Bauer now. Rooms with shower at the Saalbach Hof all gone, they only had rooms with bath which cost £200 per room extra for the week!!! Shocked Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cathy Coins, the Bauer is a good choice, excellent food and the rooms were really nice - heated bathroom floor! Just remember, the main pool area is swimsuits but the downstairs wellness area is 'towel' only!

If I had to choose between the 2 resorts, I'd go for Saalbach. It's prettier and there just seemed a bit more going on.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cathy Coins, My preference would be Saalbach. Hinterglemm is not as charming as Saalbach. Hinterglemm also tends to go to sleep early. Paople come of the slopes and then disappear largely at 8ish. If you want to go out for a drink, Saalbach is much better. the taxi ride from Saalbach to Honterglemm was more than 5 euros when I went in 2003 - it was about 10 euros then.
The hotels you are considering are all excellent. Great locations close to the lifts and centre.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anybody got any info/views re Alpenhotel in Saalbach??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Louis, I'm sorry but I can't recall seing that hotel. I've tried to do a search to see if a picture refreshed my memory, but I haven't been successful.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Peter B & hayley t, I had thought that Saalbach seemed to be the nicer of the two and glad you agree!

Ah yes, I remember the towel only (if you're lucky Shocked ) policy from Mayrhofen - have to pick the right time to go in there Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well what do you know, finally got round to booking the hotel only to find most of the hotel rooms in our price range are all gone! None left at the Bauer. Who wants to go skiing in mid Jan?? Ah yes, all those tight codgers like us Very Happy Have had to book the last 'reasonably-priced' room at the Saalbacher Hof after all - and paying nearly £200 for the privilege of having a bath in the room Evil or Very Mad . Ah well.

Some friends were deciding whether to come with us or not, one of the reasons we delayed booking. They'll have to make their own booking now. Every man for themselves!

You see, it's all very well saying book at the last minute, but when you go through a TO all the best priced rooms are gone. I hate to think what they would have left if we had left it until last-minutish. And I just don't fancy doing DIY when we've got all our ski gear with us to lug round - it's bad enough lugging it all onto the car park bus at Gatwick Very Happy
snow report
Cathy Coins, we had the same problem for February 2006 and we booked last April. It is a popular place and most of the tour ops only seem to have a handful of rooms in the hotels. I looked at the DIY option for our group but it wasn't any cheaper.

You've made a good choice and will have a fantastic holiday.
snow report
Thanks hayley t, am so looking forward to it! Only another 5 months to go Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Cathy Coins, As Hayley knows from another thread, we had the same problem. We gave up on Saalach and went for Hinterglemm, and for the first time have done it ourselves, and saved about £200 per person. Found a really nice hotel through the tourist office website www.saalbach.com, booked it direct (few language problems but got there in the end) and we found a budget airline from Manchester called SkyEurope, £102 return. As there are 6 of us, we are now arranging for private pick up from the airport in a minibus, quotes are around £30 per person roundtrip, but there are quite a few options, tains to Zell am See, buses and even a direct coach service.

To be honest, it will be a blessing not to have to do all that hanging around waiting for a coach load of peoples luggage to be put on board when you arrive, and then having to leave the resort hours before you need to on the return jouney. We are looking upon it as a bit of an adventure!!! If it works, we'll do it this way again and the TO's can keep their over inlfated prices to themselves Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Good on you sharon1953, that's some saving! We should really look into doing it ourselves but I'm just always put off by having to lug skis & luggage around. But if you can get a direct transfer that's fine! Looks like I'm going before you do so I'll tell you all about it when I get back!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy