Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should school ski trips be stopped and should teachers run them ?

Poster: A snowHead
One of my biggest gripes looking at the Skiing Europe thread is the amount of money being asked for the trips, don't get me wrong skiing especially in Switzerland at the current exchange rates is not cheap, but the Christian Group Oak Hall can manage to organise similar trips to Lauterbrunnen (rather than the further away Interlaken) from as little as £199 including coach travell to the resort and 3 meals a day, surely if they can manage this it is not beyond the capability of others to arrange similar trips for schools at a similar price structure
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Piccadilly, Laughing actually the lesson could well be walking through the village and considering the way of life of locals, how their customs have changed, how their village has changed, impact upon the environment etc. It does not need to be sitting at a desk !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf, there are a lot of added value items included in a school package that Oak Hall do not cover, ski hire, lift pass, instruction etc., plus the staff 1 for every 7 kids say would need to be added. On the face of it though that company looks excellent value !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, yes, some school trips do seem very expensive. some schools fly to the US! Probably the little darlings in some schools would demand their own en-suite bathrooms and turn their noses up at coach travel.

I don't know why people get their knickers in such a twist about this, though. If parents in school X and Y don't like the way school ski trips are organised, there's a simple solution. Either don't send the little darlings, or organise your own trip.

The school trip I went on in 1963 cost £40, the equivalent of about £630 in today's prices. A similar trip with PGL costs around £1000. Ours included travel to Newcastle from south Wales, ferry to Bergen, train to Geilo, all food, ski lessons, equipment, etc. Not luxury - we stayed in the Youth Hostel in Geilo - but a wonderful experience. I left one of my walking boots on the train and it went to Oslo. No doubt the teacher supervising the trip had a bit of work to do, but when we got on the train back to Bergen my boot was waiting for me. I would have had no chance whatsoever of going skiing without a school trip - that £40 was the sum total of money in my "Post Office Savings Bank" and exactly the sort of thing my grandparents had had in mind, when they contributed to that savings account, year after year. I bought my grandmother back a Norwegian cheese slicer with a bone handle. It is still in frequent use, 48 years later.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ccl wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
ccl, I have not mentioned any of the fantastic work voluteers do in running sports and other activities for every one, irrespective of colour, race, social status or ability to pay so I have no idea why you have raised this.

Well, simply because teachers are numbered amongst these yet seem to attract your particular antagonism.

Your trolling continues Laughing

Teachers are well paid, get great holidays and do not have to dip in to their pockets when they go on a volunteer ski trip except for their beer and tabs. I know that many school teachers also run weekly evening clubs and use their spare time taking kids to matches and training etc but this is a bit different to the annual ski trip imv and not the focus of the discussion.

Many volunteers outside of the school trip umbrella and part of shoe-string budget private clubs/associations up and down the country (football, rugby, cricket are sports that I have been involved with) dig deep in to their own pockets to pay for pleasure of helping kids out with their sports and ask nothing in return - no free trip for the wives or week to inspect the hotels etc, and mainly they pay their own way when on trips, and often are the parents of one of the kids in the team and give their time freely and without question; there is this huge army of these individuals nothing to do with schools who get my respect first and foremost, then those (teachers) that have made looking after kids their vocation and admirably extend it outside of their normal paid work day.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, having seen bunches of kids on the slopes around Wengen all with their Oak Hall rucksacks I'd say on the whole that Oak Hall know what they are doing with regards supervision, only couple of problems I've ever seen with the kids was once when one of their "Instructors" decided to stop an entire class right across a narrow section of piste when there was a much safer and wider spot just around the corner, the other time was when the kids wanted to eat their packed lunches inside a restaurant, it was a bitterly cold day and fortunately the restaurant didn't handle things badly, they said if the each of the kids bought either soup or chips (the two cheapest things on the menu) they would let them also eat their packed lunches at the table, I don't think the kids were too unhappy about that either Laughing

Now as for the Extra costs Oak Hall have their own instructors and charge just £58 for lessons likewise they have their own ski hire for which they charge £53 and a lift pass for an under 16 in for a week is a further £114 for 6 days or £126 for 7 days so all in for £425 which is a lot less that Skiing Europe was asking plus they are in Lauterbrunnen rather than Interlaken which means 20 mins less on the train each way every day!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, one of the cancelled school holidays had 11 members of staff to 77 children and I presume the staff would not be in the £425 per child that you quote above. How much would need to be added per school kid to average the price out and get a like for like comparison ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, I have no idea I'm afraid, however factoring in base costs I and letting all staff members hire equipment and take lessons we get 88 x £425 / 77 Which still comes in at £485 per kid, if staff members had no lessons and had their own ski kit that would reduce to £470
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A ridiculous thread title in my opinion. I'm not sure what the point of it is.
It seems to be aimed at having a go at teachers who go on school skiing trips.

As someone who does go on school skiing trips (as a teacher) i find some of the points raised on this thread quite unbelieveable.

To suggest that it's a holiday for teachers is quite ridiculous, as anybody who as been on one should tell you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne, Great post and excactly what i have been trying to say somewhere else for some time.

Only thing i would add is that anybody working in the public sector is forbiden to accept any kind of inducement , gift or freebie in the carrying out of their job, therefore effectively those who have had freebies have acted against their own employers regulations, is that why they are dressed up as "risk assesment trips" howver if they are so crucial surely the schools or LEA's should be funding them as to enusre an un biased outcome.

I was introduced to skiing at school and it has stayed with me ever since, so yes i think they are a great idea, i just think some of the ethics are wrong when it comes to so called "risk visits"

As i have said elswhere, i have a coleague who is taking 30 plus children to South Africa for a cricket tour, i think SA is somewhat more of a risk trip than a week on the slopes but they have not deemed it neccesary to send somebody out there for a week to check it out, is it because the TO did not offer the junket!

Apologies for spelling and grammar, i am sure Miss Brodie will be along soon to slag me off for it.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 17-04-11 3:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
james75 wrote:

As someone who does go on school skiing trips (as a teacher) i find some of the points raised on this thread quite unbelieveable.

To suggest that it's a holiday for teachers is quite ridiculous, as anybody who as been on one should tell you.

Simples - dont go!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
james75 wrote:

The real aim of the thread is to divert various and, starting to be become, numerous, thread-drifting posts away from the SE thread.

I have no interest what-so-ever in whether teachers run school trips or if they should be there in the first place, but I do notice that the opinions tend to extremely polarised.

I was in education for quite many years so I do understand the vast majority of the teaching fraternity will react with some type of religious fervour when anything they do is brought into question – students don’t questions us, so why should anyone else – don’t people realise the value we add to society – if I was in the private sector I would be earning ... - I give up my free time to... – etc, etc, etc.

Sorry I may have to break this to you, but even though education was, for many years (centuries in fact), regarded as sacrosanct and it was assumed that the teaching industry (?) staff always acted in the best interest of the kids by the establishment, in public at least (however much the general public disagreed – through personal experience), those days are long gone. Now you have to explain and justify, yourself and your, seemingly, closeted workplace, just like the rest of us. Wouldn’t go down well at an NUT meeting but, hey, tell it like it is. Ain’t that what the interweb-thingy is all about. So don’t get all defensive when someone asks you to justify yourself, can’t be that hard if you really are blameless.

As to the 2 questions poised in the OP, I have no idea of the answers.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 17-04-11 9:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
quite the opposite Leedsunited.

I actually enjoy the trips.

Yes I get a weeks skiing (not all day everyday), and I give up my own personal holiday time with wife and kids to take 80 other kids on their holiday, but its not about me. The biggest enjoyment for me is to see the 80 or so kids whom we take have one of the best weeks of their lives. For many it's their only chance of experiencing a skiing holiday, as they would never be able afford to go with their families (school in a poor area).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from a great week's school ski trip to Italy. The children made great progress - and had a fantastic time. It was our smallest party yet - 22 people - but the best trip to date. We used a reputable company, and their terms provided me with a free place; I wouldn't pay for the privilege of taking resposibility for other people's children for a week. I paid for my wife and two children to come along.
We did not, and never have, had a 'free' inspection visit. This can and should be done by the TO. I organise trips to Wimbledon and Twickenham and they provide schools with detailed risk assessments prior to visits - the TO is much better placed to do this in ski resorts than I am.
I suspect the reason that some schools travel by coach for 22 hours is so that the number of 'free' places is greater. I also suspect that 'free' inspection weeks are an inducement to use an operator. I believe in complete transparency in my professional relationships and could not, in all honesty accept 'free' perks without declaring them. I also believe that they are factored into the price, and thus are paid for by children/their families.
I have seen at close hand how some schools run ski trips and did not like it - staff couldn't wait to get rid of the children and let reps take on their burden whilst they swanned around resorts 'on holiday'. I would certainly look very carefully at school ski trip organisers before allowing my children to go.
In the Italian resort I've just returned from 90% of the skiers on the slopes were British school children. Every school there worked hard to give the children a great week. School staff were a lovely, friendly bunch.
Should trips continue - of course!
Should teachers organise them - yes, but I think that the Senior Management Team of schools should have oversight of the organisation and that their should be a policy of transparency.
Perhaps BASI or similar could have a short course qualification in 'school party organiser' like a simpler Mountain Leader course.
This thread is the off-shoot of the skiing europe /Chris Reynard thread and sadly shows the profound impact that this man's activities are having for snowsports' lovers.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
daveyladboy, good post, thanks for your honesty !
ski holidays
daveyladboy, that's a very good set of comments you've posted there, it reminds me of a ski trip I took with my school 25 or so years ago, we had several teachers with us, probably half a dozen adults in all but of those I think we only saw 1 for most of the day, the rest we saw at dinner time and that was it, in the end teachers are only human and are thus subject to the usual things that effect them, some are excellent and go out of their way to help their students, whilst others seem to regard them as a mere inconvenience, an irritation to be tolerated as they earn their money.

I think I agree that risk assessments should be carried out by the TO, but then we rely on those TO's to be honest, unfortunately Skiing Europe/ Chris Reynard have shown us all how dishonest some companies can be, so I can also see that having at least one experienced staff member visit resorts and accommodation prior to a school trip, especially with activity type trips could be very useful, nice to know for instance that the hotel you will be staying in with 50 kids can cope with those numbers, isn't sited next door to a brothel, takes less than an hours journey each way to get to the activity area or whatever.

My memories of my school trip are mixed, I'd learnt to ski at an early age (3 years) and had skied every year till about 12 or 13 averaging 4 weeks per year, the school trip was when I was in sixth form so 17 years old, low parts were spending the first 2 or 3 days on the beginner slopes, no test was ever actually made to see who could ski and who couldn't we were all treated as being equally inexperienced, highlights were when halfway into the week we got an extra ski teacher who took those of us who were not beginners all over the mountain, one other highlight (I guess) was because we were in a French resort and all over 16, House wine was supplied to all our tables at dinner every evening by the carafe full with constant top ups, interestingly no student got drunk
latest report
D G Orf, I think that is a good point, when I suggest to a few teachers (or related) mates that they go on these ski trips in their own time in the main for the benefit of the kids they look at me as if I have 3 heads or have been on the loopy juice, one mate suggested his wife did the trips mainly to ski (shock) and that the kids were an unwelcome irritation. Obviously different teachers have different perspectives on this, but at last a teacher has actually put their hands up and said it as it is, good and bad.

I wonder if non skier teachers take these trips ? I suspect I would be pleasantly surprised and there would be quite a few.
snow conditions
daveyladboy,

It is very refreshing to see some honesty.

D G Orf, Great post, i like you started with skiing on a school ski trip fantastic teachers but after being put in the care of the ski school we did not see them until dinner, but i loved evry minute of it

james75, I am pleased that you do enjoy the trips and i hope you continue to give your time it is very valuable, what does get my goat and it can be found elsewhere are comments such as "you should be grateful we take your brats of you for a week" Shocked
snow conditions
Last week several schools had non-skiing members of staff along, we had a (non-skiing) member of staff who is also a fully qualified nurse - thankfully her skills were not required! In most school groups the staff skiied with the children's groups. Out of the other schools, a number of teenagers were injured and staff stayed with them in hospitals/hotels and did not ski. One school's headmaster was choppered off the mountain, with a torn meniscus and skiied no more. Not much of a 'holiday' for them...
This can also be the reason why some schools opt for coach travel - with higher free staff:pupil ratios - they simply need more staff to supervise parties of teenagers and need a mixture of male & female staff for mixed groups. It may also be a policy prescribed to staff, that for residential trips a ratio of 1 staff member:8 pupils is required - in June I'm taking 31 children to Barcelona for a week and we have 4 staff, 2 males and 2 females.
I fundamentally believe that children benefit from these trips in countless ways.
ski holidays
To be fair I think on my trip we may also have had a non skiing qualified nurse, however their services were fortunately not required, the one teacher we did see for most of the day was a sports teacher so that will come I'm sure as no great surprise, can't recall who the others were or even if they skied.

As to the benefits I'm inclined to agree with daveyladboy, they are definitely there for the students far more than the staff.
latest report
To compare a schools op with Oak Hall is an unfair comparison. Oak Hall are staffed by volunteers (and in some cases the staff pay to accompany the trip).
ski holidays
I've just returned from a school trip with a well known company. The teachers all skied, but several advanced skiers on the staff team stayed with the beginners all week on the nursery slopes. How many snowHeads would be prepared to give up a week of their holiday to never even manage to ski a red run?!!
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
One of my biggest gripes looking at the Skiing Europe thread is the amount of money being asked for the trips, don't get me wrong skiing especially in Switzerland at the current exchange rates is not cheap, but the Christian Group Oak Hall can manage to organise similar trips to Lauterbrunnen (rather than the further away Interlaken) from as little as £199 including coach travell to the resort and 3 meals a day, surely if they can manage this it is not beyond the capability of others to arrange similar trips for schools at a similar price structure

Slightly misleading I think. I quote from their website:

Quote:
Please note than in addition to the basic holiday price listed below, there are other costs for equipment hire, instruction, lift passes etc.

The Skiing Europe prices are par for the course if not slightly on the cheap side, with I think they used as their USP??? Having worked for 4 school ski holiday providers in various roles I know a little about pricing, my last role was as a tour organiser i.e. pricing etc. Just a few elements to consider:

Transport: Flights are expensive as most school trips are out of term time i.e. when airlines are the busiest. for a 6 day on snow holiday a coach has to has to be hitred for 9 days at approx £650 per day plus the cost of bed and board for the drivers.

Accommodation: If you are paying less than €30 per person per night the accommodation wont be up to much. This is usually for half board (occassionally full board if the hotel is close to the slopes). In reality you are going top be paying €40 per night at half term or Easter. So 6 nights accommodation, around €240/£210 plus you may have to pay for an extra dinner on departure day.

Equipment: Normally one of the better value elements but still around €40-€50 for 6 days.

Lift passes: Most resorts dont give great discounts on passes so, depanding on resort, for most kids anyway between €80 and 120 for 6 days.

Instruction: This is were is can get silly, in France anyway. Even in Italy you are looking at around €45 per instructor per hour. So for each instructor, 4 hours per day for 6 days it costs around €1,080/£950.

Rep: We used to allot £900 for a reps wages, costs, etc.

Taxes: equates to around 3% of the total costs except in the USA/Canada where tax does not apply.

Profit: All companies are different, the last company I worked for were pretty rigid on 11%.

So lets say this is a group of 40 kids, with a free place ratio of 1:8, thats 5 teachers. Bare in mind that these places aren't free, the kids end up paying for them: Lets do the maths:

Transport: £5,850
Accomm: £10,080 (40 kids, 5 teachers, 2 drivers, 1 rep)
Equipment: £1,830 (using €45 for 40 kids, 5 teachers, 1 rep)
Passes: £4,065 (using €100)
Instruction: £3,800 (4 instructors, 1:10 ratio)
Rep: £900
Taxes: £800
Profit: £3005
Total: £30,330

Between the kids its £758 per person. These figures are rough averages, peak weeks will be more. Add in other stuff e.g. insurance, lunches, apres ski, etc.

I'm not defending Skiing Europe as they've done me out of cash but if you think you can get a week skiing in the Swiss Alps for £199 you're living in cloud cuckoo land!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 17-04-11 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
daveyladboy wrote:
Perhaps BASI or similar could have a short course qualification in 'school party organiser' like a simpler Mountain Leader course.

Check out Snowsport England's SCO (Snowsport Course Organiser) Course and ASCL (Alpine Ski Course Leader) Course. Links below:

SCO http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/snowsport_course_organiser-477.html
ASCL http://www.snowsportengland.org.uk/coaching_officials_leading-248.html

These courses go a good way to preparing teachers/youth leaders to organise ski courses. Quite a few school tour operators now run these courses.
snow report
Oh yeah, Snowsport Scotland do similar for our friends up north.

snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:
Should school ski trips be stopped...
Why would anyone want to stop consenting parents from sending their consenting children on a trip run by consenting teachers? Surely the government has higher priorities?

Quote:
...and should teachers run them
Unless I choose to end my kids on a trip, why would it be any of my business unless the ski trip interferes with the teachers' ability to do their day-job back home or incurs unnecessary expenditure to be paid by the taxpayer. And if I don't like teachers running trips, why should my dislike spoil things for everyone else.
snow report
Well remembered Basoid, - without even a tartan prompt.

I dont know the Course Organiser course but to have accompanying staff with the Ski Leader qualification is a great advantage. This was the norm in the schools I knew. The advantages for our youngsters included:

6 x one and a half hour lessons on the dry slope (cheaper because we taught them ourselves) thus ensuring everyone was mobile before going on the trip;

on the trip we could give the youngsters additional skiing time after their time with an instructor was finished for the day;

anyone who was struggling could be taken out of their class and given some individual tutoring (as often as not I found it was a matter of developing confidence in the transition from dry slope to snow) before being returned ready to get going with the group.

generally we were almost by definition committed to snowsports, experienced and knowledgeable

I am confident that a trip accompanied by SLs gave better value for money for the youngsters.

Much has been made of teachers regarding ski trips as a jolly and not doing a proper job. Some no doubt do, and it would be naive to pretend otherwise but in all the years of running trips, being involved in school snowsports at a regional level, and in retirement instructing for a number of schools each year (yes including with Skiing Europe), I can't say I have met any. I do remember the difficulty one time of sharing a hotel with another school whose staff did not exactly share our standards of discipline and that was difficult. I never saw them on the hill so I don't know what they were like during the day.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 17-04-11 23:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Jonny Jones wrote:

Quote:
...and should teachers run them
why would it be any of my business unless the ski trip ... incurs unnecessary expenditure to be paid by the taxpayer. .

I think one of the points made in the SE thread is that "the taxpayer" or at least the school/County Council's overall budget is paying cash out to certain parents at certain schools e.g. Mount Grace, Tavistock College.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Unique circumstances fatbob, . Whether the Council was right to do so or not is one thing, but normally there is no cost to the taxpayer. Not only do parents/students pay for the trip but the taxpayers who pay for teachers' salaries are getting much more for their money through the voluntary out-of-hours work the teachers put into the trip
snow report
Quote:

6 x one and a half hour lessons on the dry slope (cheaper because we taught them ourselves) thus ensuring everyone was mobile before going on the trip;

on the trip we could give the youngsters additional skiing time after their time with an instructor was finished for the day;

anyone who was struggling could be taken out of their class and given some individual tutoring (as often as not I found it was a matter of developing confidence in the transition from dry slope to snow) before being returned ready to get going with the group.

The SCO is a pre-requisite to attend the ASCL. It's worth, or essential to point out, and I quote "Holders of this qualification are not qualified to supervise groups other than those with whom they have a pre-existing relationship, or to give instruction unless otherwise qualified."

Quote:

Much has been made of teachers regarding ski trips as a jolly and not doing a proper job.

In another role 3 years ago I was resort manager for another set up in Austria. I welcomed 71 groups (just over 3,000 kids) that season. I would say that 95% of the party leaders and staff were very much there for the kids and worked really hard. The other 5%.... lets just say that I had to remind them that my reps were there to help them run a smooth trip, not to look after the kids. Its the same in all walks of life isn't it, a few rotten apples.
snow conditions
Basoid, I was surprised at Oak Halls prices, however I have every reason to believe the prices on their website are correct, I've talked to people staying with them before and one of the things that has come up is what terrific value they are, prices I quoted are straight off their website however I should have doubled the prices for the adult lift passes, the Jungfrau Region area has a wide range of discounts for lift passes with 6-16 year olds eligible for 50% discounts and over 62 year olds getting 20% Groups of 10 or more get a further 10% (approx) discount off these prices as well.

Possibly one of the reasons Oak Hall are so cheap is that they are a Christian Organisation who are not really interested in making a profit or at least not a large one Laughing
latest report
I have no doubt that kids get a lot out of a ski trip, but the issue is whether a school should be acting as a travel agent and providing private trips out side of its obligations and curriculum ? Teacher are 'doing it for free' Little Angel so they must be acting as private individuals unless a formal 'ski club' is affilaited to the school or has some form of official recognition? Are these trips even legal ?
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
How many snowHeads would be prepared to give up a week of their holiday to never even manage to ski a red run?!!

Elizabeth B wrote:
Oak Hall are staffed by volunteers (and in some cases the staff pay to accompany the trip).

I think you have just answered your own question wink although such volunteers may not be snoHeads Little Angel

I would willingly give up a week of my holiday (if I had 13 weeks) for a free ski trip even if that meant I could only ski Blue Runs even if I had to look after other people's kids too !

Actually any schools out there that are stuggling to get enough adults on their next trip please PM me Very Happy
ski holidays
Basoid wrote:
The SCO is a pre-requisite to attend the ASCL. It's worth, or essential to point out, and I quote "Holders of this qualification are not qualified to supervise groups other than those with whom they have a pre-existing relationship, or to give instruction unless otherwise qualified."

Thanks for that. It is obviously an important caution for those who hold the qualification. Is it an on-snow course? I don't know that it was a prerequisite as such, but the ASL course I was on was preceded by an intensive weekly course at Hillend where the concentration was on technique. Mountain safety, leadership, navigation etc was done on the hill. All in all it amounted to something like a full 2 week course so it was quite a commitment by the staff who did it to schools' skiing. There was also a commitment by the local authority which paid for the courses as part of its in-service training programme. Now before either of our twin protesters start banging on about freebies, corruption or whatever latest twist will be, , the reason for that is simple. The authority was committed to outdoor education, recognised the value of residential trips such as ski trips (home and abroad); recognised that such activities were dependent on the voluntary commitment of teachers other than the full-time outdoor education staff; and understood the importance of ensuring that such volunteers were adequately trained and qualified.

Basoid wrote:
I would say that 95% of the party leaders and staff were very much there for the kids and worked really hard. The other 5%.... l

Shows how lucky I have been not to encounter any of the 5% (in the context of ski trips that is). And that's all it is, I suppose, just a matter of luck.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
I have no doubt that kids get a lot out of a ski trip, but the issue is whether a school should be acting as a travel agent and providing private trips out side of its obligations and curriculum ?

Dearie me. What's this about now?

I thought others had clearly shown that the school is not acting as a travel agent or am I mistaken?

What can you possibly mean by "private" trips? It would be helpful if you defined the term, then we might understand your point.

How narrow do you think a school's obligations and its curriculum to be? I guess you don't see outdoor education in there? Learning to live with others (an important aspect of any residential experience)? There's more to education than sums and spelling in a classroom between 9am and 4pm.

rayscoops wrote:
Teacher are 'doing it for free' Little Angel so they must be acting as private individuals unless a formal 'ski club' is affilaited to the school or has some form of official recognition?

That must be the most breathtaking non sequitur yet. So they must be acting as private individuals.Shocked I wouldn't have let a junior pupil away with reasoning as false as that.

rayscoops wrote:
Are these trips even legal ?

Go on, you tell us. If you pose the question, do you have some knowledge of the law that makes you think they might be illegal? So tell us do - chapter and verse, please. Otherwise we might just be tempted to think the question is just another pointless bit of stirring. And you wouldn't want that, would you?

Apologies for this, folks. I tell myself not to respond, and then go and do it. My previous postings about Ski Leader qualifications etc are meant to be the ones making a useful contribution to the thread, not I must admit this one, Embarassed
snow report
Quote:

Are these trips even legal ?

What a statement to make. Not sure of your experience of the education system, but according to your theory of legality, teachers / assistants
would be unable to run ANY trips (educational or otherwise).
snow conditions
Quote:

Actually any schools out there that are stuggling to get enough adults on their next trip please PM me

Not sure you'll get much response with your attitude towards school trips.
ski holidays
rayscoops, there's nothing Illegal about the trips so far as I can see, just because someone volunteers to do something for free or even in turn for payment doesn't mean its illegal, now as I recall my ski trip was organised by the sports department as an extra curricular activity and all who were going had to attend a minimum number of dry ski slope lessons with those teachers to prove they were up to a minimum standard, as with any extra curricular activity you are dependant upon staff volunteering their time, this would apply to music, art or any other activity carried out outside school hours.
ski holidays
ccl, Under the 'Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992' it is clear that in this case the school is ‘the retailer’
“contract” means the agreement linking the consumer to the organiser or to the retailer, or to both, as the case may be
“retailer” means the person who sells or offers for sale the package put together by the organiser.
“the other party to the contract” means the party, other than the consumer, to the contract, that is, the organiser or the retailer, or both, as the case may be;
“organiser” means the person who, otherwise than occasionally, organises packages and sells or offers them for sale, whether directly or through a retailer;

Under the constitution of a publically funded school I have no idea whether or not a school can offer its services to the public (the trips are not being delivered as part of any formal teaching syllabus and are extra to the curriculum) as a 'retailer' of packaged holidays outside of the term time and supervised by teachers who are not acting in their employed capacity but on voluntary basis. If the school is a retailer what form of contract do parents currently enter in to with the school, and if the school disposes of its legal obligations as retailer to the 'orgainser' is this being made known to the parents or are they offering their services as a school and notb some other legal entity. Is a teacher executing its job under its employment contract different to a teacher providing volunteer service whether that is to the school or not. Can a teacher be disciplined for breach of school policy when volunteering (on a school trip or not) and not formally 'on duty' ?

Mount Grace have already stated that their school carries no insurance to indemnify themselves against failure of companies offering them ski holidays, and were not aware of this fact prior to the SE mess. Yes other insurances via various organisations should be in place but we can see that these are not in all case to be relied upon, and again I have no idea as to the operational constitution of each individual school but exposing it to £100K of debt may well breach the fundamental terms of reference of a school.

So when I posed the question 'are they even legal', it was in a general sense based upon all the issues that have become known with the SE scenario. I would have been better served asking what actually is the legal status of a school ski trip in its current form (outside of school time, supervised by volunteers with the school acting as retailer), especially as the lives and safety of children are concerned. I have not said a trip is illegal, I have been questioning the formal status of it. Maybe 'legal' was the wrong word, maybe not Little Angel

Schools can offer trips, but whether they are best advised to do so by making the parents contract direct with a specific 'retailer' rather than putting themselves up as the 'retailer' is something that I think should be carefully looked at and considered. If a school does organise its trips in this manner it is not really a 'school' trip as such and they ill be watering down their legal and moral obligations
snow conditions
I remember my school ski trips, excellent every single one of them. Not seen one even remotley valid argument here againts them.

What you pay, where you go and the benefits teachers may or may not get, completely seperate issues. Ask any 14 year "do you want to go on a school ski trip" your only getting one response.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy