Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The all new 11/12 Weather Outlook thread

Poster: A snowHead
waynos, still wouldn't completely nail my colours to it...

But ECM is on board this evening.

ECM +216
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
waynos, - That is encouraging - off to Stubai valley next Saturday - only 5 more days of work, bring it on Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowing quite heavily here in the Chiemgau right now. It has been on and off all day as well, but after the past couple of days of high temperatures there are only patches left on my side of our valley. Snow forecast for tomorrow as well which will make make my commute into work "interesting".
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This evening's GFS continues to suggest a shift to cooler and snowier weather around Monday 05 March after some very mild temperatures at the end of next week. Will be interesting to see if tomorrow's output sustains the momentum.

GFS 18z +192
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here's a look at how WRF sees snowfall in the Alps (primarily Austria) over the next couple of days.

WRF Tuesday 28 February 0600
WRF Wednesday 29 February 0300

Beyond that temperatures rise very steeply for the second half of the week. So sunshine and warm temperatures!

But this morning it continues to look like a snowier and colder spell from around 05 March.

Here's ECM +216
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Meteox models (are they the same as snow-forecast?) are showing snow arriving in the north west alps next sunday/monday. still a way off, but looks promising and is in line with the models posted by nozawaonsen above...

http://www.meteox.com/forecastloop.aspx?type=1
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
its has been pushed back slightly but ECM still holding for cold/snowy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
could anyone update me on the snow conditions in sauze d'oulx please? going out there on 11th march and im hearing bad stuff on here about the high temps there, praying for some soft stuff as its for my 30th bday Sad Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An initial review of winter in Austria from ZAMG.

A Winter of Extremes

- Unusually warm and snowless December, unusually snowy January, unusually cold February. In summary overall, at least statistically, a "normal" winter, but the details tell a different story.

- In the south of Austria less than half average snowfall. In the northern Alps in some places twice the average snowfall.

- 2.0C below average in the mountains (similar to the winters of 2005/2006 and 2009/2010).

- Winter was dominated by weather from the west and northwest (though the first two weeks of February brought very cold and dry weather from the north and northeast).

- After a very sunny autumn winter was less sunny than usual.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still some further snow in Austria during today and overnight for Tirol and Salzburg down to Styria.

From midweek across the Alps temperatures will rise steeply as Spring arrives. Time to scope out the best deck chairs on the terrace.

From next Monday the trend is still for temperatures to cool in the Alps and Pyrenees and an increased likelihood of snowy weather. This morning's output is slightly less determined about pulling in real cold, but nor is there at present any suggestion of any real mild temperatures.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen, keeping everything crossed that Soll is good for next week Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
12z is a belter for next week Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
norris, let's see it Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly, http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_12_UTC/192_35.gif

back for third trip to austria on saturday, so keeping an eye on fluctuating forecasts....thus far never had a bad week
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hope so too as we are off to Soll this weekend also. On the www.j2ski website it says temps as warm as 12 degrees this week! I am getting worried! For you snow experts out there what is the "outlook" for us???
latest report
norris, yep liking this interpretation for near my local ski hill for next Tuesday - heavy snow Very Happy
http://xcweather.co.uk/forecast/rohrmoos

Been snowing around here, Schladming, today, quite hard this afternoon though the snowline now moved up to around 1200m. Was some great snow about this morning but getting wetter during the day. Set for some spring weather to join the rest of the alps over the next few days.
snow report
shoogly, Very Happy
snow conditions
cloudy1, No weather expert but I am out in austria saturday, and no worries about a few warm days with an excellent snowpack already established. I tend to ski schladming a lot and as in previous years will be back out for the end march.....have had some pretty warm days but on predominantly north facing slopes always had a great time! as it stands it looks like it will cool down...and possibly some fresh! I am sure people in residence like waynos would echo my sentiments.....Anyways have a great time!!
snow report
Some cold charts coming out this evening for next week. Cold for the UK too.
snow report
nozawaonsen, Just to say thanks for your informative posts, keep it up! snowHead
ski holidays
Help, what about western alps Italy in particular.....................
latest report
And Champagny 17 March? Echo provenjohn.
snow conditions
Wetterzentrale has a mahoosive storm forecast for the Zillertal 6th-8th of March with reasonable agreement between Kontroll Lauf and GFS-Hauptlauf. Still a week out though and seeing as they were both forecasting a high pressure this morning I am not taking this as gospel but it is looking promising.

Anyone want to agree or disagree? Not the most experienced at reading charts
latest report
Should be some terrific conditions in the Alps today (in a hot, sunny, blue sky sort of way).

And looking increasingly likely that in quite a sharp contrast 04/05 March will see the start of a period of cooler and snowier weather for at least the first half of next week across the Alps (both the north and south side of the Alps) and Pyrenees, as cold pushes in from the north west and then low pressure develops in the Mediterranean.

GFS 00z +156
ECM 00z +144
snow report
Looks very promising nozawaonsen. Will that mass of warm air behind it more than likely get dragged in behind the cooler air?
snow conditions
shoogly, you mean the Azores high? There seem to be two options on the menu this morning for far FI. One that the Atlantic pushes in (ECM) or that high pressure builds over Europe (GFS). Both look at present like they would keep temperatures near seasonal average, one is clearly wetter. But I don't think there's really much of a clear steer beyond the middle of next week at present.
snow report
The low pressure shown to develop over the Med next week looks mostly like it would affect the Southern and Western half of the Alps. France, NW Italy and SW Switzerland would benefit from the most snow from that setup. However it is still nearly a week away and plenty could change before then.
snow conditions
jimmybog, depends a little. A Genoa low in the right set up can shovel a substantial amount of snow back across Austria as it passes over the Adriatic. You can see the potential for this currently in the ensembles for Bad Gastein.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So there's rumours about a big storm possibly brewing for Austria next week. Any sign of this materialising or is it no more than rumour? All weather forecasts I can see seem to to be showing blue skies with lower temps. Can anyone shed any light on what the craic actually is!

Cheers! (I'm happy either way!)
snow conditions
Peter Griffin wrote:
So there's rumours about a big storm possibly brewing for Austria next week. Any sign of this materialising or is it no more than rumour? All weather forecasts I can see seem to to be showing blue skies with lower temps. Can anyone shed any light on what the craic actually is!

Cheers! (I'm happy either way!)

There's a possibility of an area of low pressure developing in the Med close to NW Italy next week. If it develops as currently shown by the latest charts then there could be some heavy snow across a large part of the Alps. But it is still a big "IF"on whether it will develop. If it's still being shown on the charts in the next few days and the position of it doesn't move further South then you could start to get excited. This is something a few of us will be keeping a close eye on in the next few days
snow report
Thanks for that! I'll keep my fingers crossed then and watch this space!
ski holidays
Of course its going to snow next week, im going skiing and i havent had a bluebird day in 3 years!
snow report
nozawaonsen, how is the weather looking for Sauze/Sestriere? I have a friend going out 11th March and he is worried about the conditions.
snow report
wam15, let it be true!

yeah nozawaonsen, i did mean the Azores high. I just had a brain melt for a while and forgot it even had a name!

heading out to espace killy a week sunday so am beginning to keep an eye out Very Happy

Really hope it dumps in scotland at least once more this season as well so as the Coe cup can be on!
ski holidays
Shoogly the problem is its normally those annoying days where you get 5 cms or so all day but still can't see anything!! (apart from my pre xmas trip this year where i just wouldnt stop snowing!
ski holidays
wam15, Aw, that's a bit of a shame. Ten degrees here at 1800 today - not a cloud all day. Went high and it was cooler and snow was fine.
ski holidays
A timely piece from SLF given the full depth slide and current search going on at Les Diablarets.

Rising temperatures - Increasing danger of full-depth and wet snow avalanches

"Temperatures have been climbing appreciably since the night of Tuesday, February 28, 2012. The SLF expects a significant increase in the danger of full-depth and wet snow avalanches. The safety experts responsible for the ski resorts and roads exercise great care in their meticulous daily assessment of the avalanche situation. Snow sport participants venturing off piste are urged to give due consideration to the spring-like avalanche conditions as well."

"The severity of snow gliding observed this winter is thought likely to arise only every 30 years or so. It is attributable to ground that was not frozen when the snow cover formed in some places, and to very heavy one-time snowfalls."

"As regards full-depth avalanches: avoid or spend as little time as possible in terrain below glide cracks in particular
As regards wet snow avalanches: finish backcountry touring and off-piste activities early (no later than midday)"
latest report
nozawaonsen, Sad news from Obertauern today, member of the avi patrol team taken during morning rounds. Found within 15-20mins but too late in this case. Sounds like very wet snow, not surprised as it rained in these parts last night, snowline probably 1400m. I've seen a number of wet slides today in the Schladming area, very close to Obertauern. http://www.nachrichten.at/nachrichten/chronik/art58,829670
latest report
Quote:

member of the avi patrol team taken during morning rounds. Found within 15-20mins but too late in this case.

Sad Sad Sad
snow conditions
Temperatures still look very high for the next few days, before dropping sharply through Sunday. How much snow falls on Sunday/Monday is still unclear and is shifting from run to run and model to model. Beyond that temperatures in the Alps look below average for most of next week.

In the short term though, very warm and sunny.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy