Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How not to ski with your skis together

Poster: A snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I thought we might like to see how it should be done,

Here's a pic of my father taken in the 1950's demonstrating the old style skis tight together technique, practiced by holding a glove between the ankles.

Notice the complete lack of artificial pistes no piste bashers in those days Shocked

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm much more likely to look like picture one than picture two....it's a familiar skiing position for me! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even in the late 80's BASI still talked about 'refined' (feet together) and 'basic' (feet apart). It's not that long ago...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski, interesting point. When I was BASI-trained in the mid-1970s the focus was 'hip width apart'. The distinction between the two styles/approaches wasn't really talked about, or offered. It was (already at that time) emphasised that control and balance were optimised with an open stance.

I've noticed that competitive bump skiers have closed their stance a lot in the past couple of decades, so the trend hasn't been one way.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is that first pic Masque after 3 turns?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith,
Quote:

competitive bump skiers have closed their stance a lot in the past couple of decades

I haven't noticed their stance closing myself? AFAIK skiing bumps with your legs together isn't a recent development (cf "Avalement" in the Sunday Times "We learned to ski" book (early '70s)). I believe competition bumps technique is only a (high frequency) variation of this.

The idea is that by keeping your legs together they can rotate as one on the top of the bump.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The ST book came as plastic boots were just making their entry into the market. I think it's right to say that plastic boots intially opened skiers' eyes to the possibility of more independent and spaced ski control.

If you look at early 'hot dog' bump skiing footage (I recall a promotional 'super 8' cassette that Salomon sponsored called 'Go for it') the skiing style was pretty wild, and the skis were quite a bit wider than they would be today. Must admit I'm relying on memory, though, because I haven't seen that film for over 25 years!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 12-07-05 14:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Here's a pic of my father taken in the 1950's demonstrating the old style skis tight together technique, practiced by holding a glove between the ankles.

I think he looks pretty stylish alongside the modern, 'untidy' slightly out of control looking stance of skis wide apart.

Interestingly Telemark skiers put great emphasis on a close stance which is reckoned to be more stable, as well as looking very elegent.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm well I reckon plastic boots started to appear in the early 70's in fact I think I can prove it I'm one of the children in the picture below which was taken in either 1973 or possibly 1974

The kids are roughly evenly split between lace up leather and clip up plastic boots but can anyone guess which one is me snowHead

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are you the one with no gloves on?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Knowing that you are now quite tall and well built, I'm going to guess this is a trick question and you are the littlest - 2nd from right
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, kuwait_ian, nope 2 down 6 left to choose from half are girls by the way wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like the way it says "I wasn't there" at the bottom. He was in the mountain restaurant, having a hot chocolate.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Far right (the one who wants to go for a pee)

What did I win?
latest report
DB, nothing, you're wrong so that's five left Laughing
latest report
Rupert Bear trousers - or is that a girl?
snow report
4th from bottom of the group.
ski holidays
Cathy Coins, that's a girl as are the other 4 on the left Frosty the Snowman, was right snowHead
latest report
D G Orf, we need an up to date one for comparison purposes. I remember one of you with a couple of attractive blondes but I can't find it ......
latest report
kuwait_ian, you could find a pic or two of me here
snow report
That's the one. And they weren't Swedish and only one was blonde. I'm losing it. Pity about the bloke in the middle. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I hate Geocities Sad Does anyone know of a good cheap place for me to host my website Puzzled
ski holidays
I don't know. Hull?
latest report
David Goldsmith, Could be, my hazy recollections of 70's films had their legs together but I could easily be completely wrong! I was very young and impressionable at the time.

Then again, maybe they were trying to keep their legs together and weren't quite there! as in here http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0393086909.02.MZZZZZZZ.jpg?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
D G Orf, I don't think the instructor's me as I had a much tighter fitting jacket, but I was working for the Wengen Ski School 1973/74!!

I did Grade 3 in 1972 and we had to ski with our feet together as ski, said. When I finally got round to doing my 1 we still had to do "refined" parallels and that was 1990!!

I can distinctly remember having my first clip up boots when I was about 15 (but they were leather), and my first plastic boots when I worked in Wengen that year - I had ones with huge spoilers on the back - very Cool at the time! Shocked
ski holidays
easiski, The instructor was Ruth (can't remember her family name but she smoked like a chimney Laughing ) at that age I usually had her or Mathilde Fuchs as an instructor, it was probably class 3 of ski school although I can't be certain.
latest report
Funnily enough I've just realised that I may have the pair of skis my father is skiing on stuck in my garage
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
D G Orf, 4th from the right... 5th from the left??
ski holidays
Michelle, yes but Frosty the Snowman, worked it out 7 hours ago Laughing
ski holidays
From my memory, skiing with your legs further apart seemed to come in in the early to mid nineties.

I still think that skiing with your legs together looks more stylish, but it just isn't possible to carve properly without your legs apart.
ski holidays
Quote:

but it just isn't possible to carve properly without your legs apart.

Nor is it with an electric carving knife Toofy Grin
latest report
Kramer, it is possible but it's much harder and you become more prone to falling because if one ski goes the other tends to follow it good fun though snowHead
snow report
D G Orf, I'm not so sure, if your legs aren't apart then there's not enough room for your outside knee to come across to get your skis on edge.
snow report
Kramer, it's possible but you have to be seriously leaning over which is why its difficult, if one ski losses grip (as mine did when it hit a piste basher track earlier this year) then you end up sliding on your side across the piste, but if you can manage it it does look good Cool
snow conditions
Kramer, you can lead with your uphill ski, so your downhill knee tucks in, or lift your uphill ski and angulate more Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Here's a man who's always epitomised 'together skiing' for me:

The great Stein Eriksen, gold medallist at the 1952 Oslo Winter Olympics, and still cooking snow in Utah.
latest report
D G Orf,
Was your dad racing as he appears to have a number 4 on his chest?
latest report
D G Orf, Your photos have disappeared!
snow report
D G Orf, They're back again - must be me and/or my computer! rolling eyes
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy