Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Snowdome in London Olympic media centre site

Poster: A snowHead
Plans have been drawn up for a radical indoor snow resort, which could be built on the site of the Olympic media centre in Stratford. The 28,500m2 snowsports and leisure complex would be called Snow in the City. ...
How cool would this be. Artificial snow centre company Acer Snowmec has made a bid to turn the £330m Olympic media centre into an indoor ski resort after the Games.
See: http://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/gensler-draws-up-ski-slope-for-olympic-legacy/5013415.article
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I read this in the Today paper...today. It seems that Hackney Council may have some reservations over diversity and not using the "legacy" as a platform for small, local businesses to have new facilities, blah, blah, blah rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

How cool would this be.

about -5?

London could certainly do with one so let's hope they pull it off.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chasseur, Brilliant idea but they'll have to set up a quango to agree a protocol, and then do a white paper to agree, or disagree on whether to put a motion before a parliamentary sub-committee, and then come up with a strategic local plan - Oh they've spent the budget already, lets turn it into an Tesco with plenty of parking for the Toyota Prius's eh??

Or maybe the city bankers could use it to launder some bonus on and buy it for their less fortunate neighbours? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hope they do it, was kinda hopig 'snoasis' would kick off this yr, but looks like it's been delayed.......again!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great idea. I'm a West Ham season ticket holder, even though I now live in Switzerland. Therefore I can still get my weekend skiing in when I pop over to see a game!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitters, Laughing Laughing If you can see the pitch from beyond the track. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know, tell me about it. Can't say I'm too happy about the move due to the view, but charitably we're helping Seb Coe et al out of a bit of a financial hole.

I'll look a right prat sitting there in my salopettes and goggles too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitters, Singing "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" with your ski boots and helmet on..................eating jellied-eels and green gravy at 1/2 time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Markymark29, Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If the Olympic stadium is good enough to watch all the track and field events plus opening and closing ceremonies then why is it not also good enough for a bunch of ********* to watch a football match on a saturday once every couple of weeks?

They used say that you go blind with too much,

now what was it?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
more info here and konrad b is part of the team http://leisuredesigners.org/detail1.cfm?pagetype=detail&subject=news&codeID=242513&site=LDE&dom=N
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds fairly comprehensive...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
james cove has picked this up and has a few more details here http://www.planetski.eu/news/2576
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
28,500 sq m, sounds excellent in comparison to Hemel's 8,000 sq m. I wonder if that is the total building sq m or hopefully just the snow area.
snow conditions
Would be very cool if they pulled this one off.
ski holidays
Don't get excited! Can't see this happening without a substantial grant or subsidy.
ski holidays
East London is no stranger to ski slopes. Remember Beckton Alps in East Ham. It boasted the longest dry ski slope in south east England. Officially opened by the late Princess Diane.
snow report
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/giant-200m-snow-dome-for-stratford-8732116.html
snow conditions
They do like to make mention of the "Millions of visitors" it will attract each year.

I do hope these aren't the same "Millions of visitors" that the Emirates Air Line was supposed to attract.
snow report
The news on the TV said a total of 800 metres of slope (that's presumably including a teaching slope - so perhaps 600m?)
snow conditions
Has anyone heard any news on this since the July 2012 announcement. I would of thought by now we should of heard something, especially as it was intended for 2015. Is this yet another white horse? Sick of getting hopes up for a proposed centre that just never manifests.
snow report
*** Typo; July 2012, meant July 2013 announcement
ski holidays
GREAT NEWS !! After trawling the web and finding no new info on the stratford project I decided to email uncle Boris and see if I might get a reply. I only blooody well did today ( 11th Feb 2014) ! See below - This is amazing news, lets hope we can produce more Jenny Jones and Woodsy's !!

Thank you for your email of 4 February to the Mayor of London, Mr Johnson. I have been asked to reply.

The Mayor's office is in regular contact with Westfield and the company is indeed working on bringing forward a ski facility next to its Stratford shopping centre which should further enhance the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park offer. We understand the project is currently in pre-development and design phase and that Westfield is aiming to submit a planning application in a few months. The company will provide further updates in regards to timing throughout the year as the project progresses.

Yours sincerely
snow report
Intriguing first post Wink I wouldn't get too excited by that reply:
- working on bringing forward (i.e. nothing is happening)
- currently in pre-development (i.e. nothing is happening)
- aiming to submit a planning application (i.e. nothing is happening)
Typical meaningless words Wink designed to look up-beat and positive without committing to anything at all and leaving lots of options for not doing it at all...
If this was announced 2 years ago - basically nothing has changed since then...
In projects like this - an understanding of planning etc. comes very early on, otherwise there is no point in spending any money - Swindon's planned slope has planning permission, but is still way off being built...

Alasdair
snow conditions
Indeed Alisdair ( don't shoot the messenger) . Borris is quite possibly a pathalogical liar - but lets hope. This was the message I got today.
Fuk - we need it, if not just for our corner of East London, but for future jenny jones and Woodsy's.
snow conditions
I cant wait for it to open. Fresh crisp snow. The only bit i dont fancy is having to go tooled up to stop you getting robbed by the locals as you get your kit out of your car. Sad
ski holidays
Does anyone have any further news on this? Tried Google but I can't find anything?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't find anything about this one nor can I see anything happening about Snoasis so I guess I need to work out how I can move to be near Landgraaf. I just don't think this country can deliver.
ski holidays
Snoasis was the burner for me, really hung in hope for that for literally years. Sounds like similar long winded promises for Stratford. Where Hemel was concerned, they literally built it, not so long after it was announced. Apparently it was in the planning for years but the public were only notified once things had significantly moved forward. Spoke with a senior figure at Chill Factore a few months back and he thought Stratford snowdome would happen but not for at least another 3yrs as they needed to get the investment, at least that was the rumor he had heard. I won't believe it until I see proper construction pics, like there was for Hemel.

Yeah, Landgraaf is very good, but the slopes are barely blue runs, I could live with shorter but steeper (not too short though) definitely after a 300m+ ideally 400m+ for London.
snow report
400m? bit impractical isnt it?
ski holidays
I am 10 mins from the proposed Snoasis site so was really waiting for that one to kick in - I recall going to an open day about it years ago now...
snow report
Apparently Paris are building a snowdome for £40m, which will be longer than the £200m one being proposed for Stratford!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/skiing-news/11012917/Plans-for-40m-ski-centre-in-Paris.html
ski holidays
@Uncle Fester, we would only be 30 mins drive such a shame it doesn't seem to be going ahead. Would beat driving to tamworth
ski holidays
In paragraph nine of the Ski and Snowboard article, Hugh Morris wrote:
In the meantime, a planning application for the London ski centre has yet to be submitted by Westfield Stratford City.

And this article is dated 05 Aug 2014 rolling eyes
snow report
I tweeted Westfield last week - nada.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy