Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance of Laptops and Cameras

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Friend of mine is travelling at the moment and has taken out insurance with BMC but it has a limit of ca 250 quid per item. A couple of items (namely portable computer and digital camera) are above this limit. Need advice on the best/most cost effective way to cover these two items, can any one help?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As part of his home and contents insurance?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The home is rented out now and I understand it is on some sort of Landlords policy which now excludes the above two items.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You will find restricted cover with a lot of policies. Just checked my Ski Club Insurance policy and it only covers ski equipment up to £300 with a £50 excess and a single item limit of £250.

I do not know what the answer is apart from requesting to pay a higher premium for enhanced cover if that is possible.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I insured my shiny new skis last year I went with snowcard.co.uk who were quite happy to up the innsurance for a very small increase in the premium
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Does he really need to insure them? Insurance companies offer insurance on the basis that they will take more in in premiums than they will pay out in claims, so if you can afford to insure stuff yourself (that is, not insure it and be able to afford a replacement), you'll be better off, on average, in the long run. For the cost of a camera and a lap top, I wouldn't bother in normal circumstances. I only insure things I can't afford to replace (like the house and the old lady).

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 30-06-05 12:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
richmond, my policy too!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, This is definately the best policy. I have lost count of the number of mobile phones that myself and my children have had over the years, and I have never opted for the insurance policies they offer you. My son lost his phone a few months back so we had to get another on a new contract. We lost about £180 in line rental payments, which is nothing compared to what I would have paid in insurance premiums.

Some don't even pay out for theft, unless you are actually mugged in the process.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree - since the insurance company will try every which way not to pay out then it's better to risk it but be careful.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IncogSkiSno, we find insurance ofr mobiles against "liquid Ingress" good value, having laundered 3 mobiles in 12 months. like richmond, in general however I favour being my own insurer, and Usually opt to pay a high first part of any claim to get the premiums even lower. That saved me about £250 on 2 cars and a home this year, and we haven't had to claim since 1991, so if the saving was repeated year on year it soon mounts up to more than the cost of a camera and a laptop. In fact it pays for a good proportion of a weekend ski trip Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got my serious head on here for a moment.
It's well worth registering all your fancy electronic gadgetry at https://www.menduk.org/
MEND is the Mobile Equipment National Database.
Its free to register, and they wont spam you (apart from reminders to update your record), or pass details to other people. Costs are met by the various subscribing Police Forces around the country.

You can also register details of bicycles etc if you want.

This means that if you are unfortunate enough to have a load of kit stolen, you will hopefully have a list of all the identifiable serial numbers to give to the police. Perhaps more significantly, it means that when we find kit we think is stolen, we can locate the owner, prove that it was stolen and hopefully convict the thieving b@gger that did it.

Its hugely frustrating recovering a load of obviously stolen PDAs, laptops, mobile phones etc, and not being able to find an owner so we can send the offender to court. What is even worse is that we then generally have to give back all the (probably) stolen kit to the person we took it from.

If you dont register anything else, then please register your mobile phone. You will need the IMEI number which you can get by pressing *#06#. This will work even if you dont have the PIN code, so we can always get it. Additionally, it should be somewhere in the battery compartment of your phone. If the number in the battery compartment is different from the one you get by pressing *#06# then your phone probably has a dodgy history.

The one satisfying thing for you if you do that is if your phone gets pinched, no-one in the UK will ever be able to use it. All the telecom providers are involved in MEND, and by cancelling the IMEI no. of the phone, rather than just the SIM card, it means its useless. (It can possibly be re-programmed but I dont understand the technicalities).

Registering your stuff wont decrease your insurance premiums I'm afraid. but do it anyway Very Happy

Thanks.

The Filth
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Filth, Thanks that's very useful to know.

I'm glad you didn't change your name - it has a real edge to it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and having discussed it with what you would term 'Senior Colleagues'. In our local force and also the Met. I rather think you should, for the same reasons I put in another post Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy