Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My last hat-wearing buddy just bought a helmet

Poster: A snowHead
My last hat-wearing buddy bought a helmet last week. I now know no-one who skis in a hat. Now I know it's a bit of a verboten topic around here, but I thought I'd let you know why I wear a helmet. Feel free to disagree with me. But, if you do, I feel duty-bound to tell you that you're wrong.

Reason 1: Because hats look revolting
Let's face it: hats look daft with ski gear. Wearing a tight beany with a chunky ski jacket makes your head look like a peanut. I want to look big, tough and strong with a head full of brains. So I wear a helmet.

Reason 2: Because I want to look young
Simple observation tells us that young skiers are more likely to wear helmets than old fogeys. So when you see someone in a bobble hat, you mentally add 10 years to their age. If you see someone in a helmet, you deduct 10 years. I don't want to look 10 years too old, so I wear a helmet.

Reason 3: Because I am young
Old people wear hats because the stakes are lower for them. They don't have many years of skiing left, so they don't care if they suddenly whack their heads and wind up dribbling in a nursing home being fed slurry by a beautiful young nurse... oh, wait! Perhaps that's the hidden plan. Most hat wearers are too old to attract attention from beautiful young women any other way.

I'm young enough to have a lot to lose. So I look after it.

Reason 4: Because the Vikings wore helmets
We all know how successful the Vikings were when they visited foreign lands. And we all know what their most successful warriors wore on their heads.

I rest my case.

Reason 5: Because I want to look like an expert
Go anywhere in the Alps and ride a lift that only serves black runs, ski routes or off-piste terrain. You'll struggle to find anyone wearing a hat. Now ride a lift that serves namby-pamby, silky-smooth green, blue and red groomers. Your eyes don't deceive you: the hat wearers are drawn to easy-peasy runs like politicians to a honey trap.

If you want to look like an expert, buy a helmet.

Reason 6: Because helmets are more comfortable
Hats are itchy, sweaty, tight and uncomfortable. Helmets are light and warm with perfect temperature regulation. They stay comfortable in all weather conditions.

I expect most hat wearers refuse to buy a car with climate control because it's so much more fun to wear driving gloves and open the window.

Reason 7: Because I ski hard and fast
When you ski as aggressively as I like to, you want more than a bit of acrylic knitwear between your head and the ice. Seriously. Maybe it doesn't matter so much for social skiers who care more about lunch and apres ski than the gnarly stuff.

Reason 8: Because I saw Scott McCartney on the Hahnenkam
Need I say more? Hands up anyone who thinks Scott McCartney would still be alive if he'd been wearing a hat that day? Oh! I can't see any hands.

Reason 9: Because there's more to life than France
I admit it: cheese-eating surrender monkeys don't like helmets. But there's more to life than France. If you look in Switzerland, Austria, USA or Canada, you soon discover that most hat wearers are old... or French.

Reason 10: Because I don't want to be in their gang
Go on - I dare you. Pour out a large (very large) beer and read some of the endless helmet threads in this forum. Which gang do you want to join? The dinosaurs or the mammals? The flat earthers or the round earthers? The Luddites or the industrialists?

I thought so. Bought your helmet yet?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonny Jones, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Very good especially Reason 4
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think it's called post purchase reinforcement.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller, there's a lot of that on here. Laughing It wins a prize for least po-faced helmet evangelism thread though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonny Jones, sounds like you have self confidence issues if you feel you need to do things to make you look younger or better than your actual abilty. Jonny Jones, don't worry what you look like, enjoy your riding and don't let anyone preach to you, only then will you truely enjoy your skiing...simply wearing a helmet will not!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Reason 10: Because I don't want to be in their gang
Go on - I dare you. Pour out a large (very large) beer and read some of the endless helmet threads in this forum. Which gang do you want to join? The dinosaurs or the mammals? The flat earthers or the round earthers? The Luddites or the industrialists?

Jonny Jones, very good Very Happy

Surely the correct collective terms should be Roundheads and Cavaliers? Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonny Jones, You missed "its easier to put a Snowheads sticker on a helmet"
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quite a few of those don't apply to me, namely 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7. I'm not even usually a hat wearer unless it's cold enough to warrant a hat (I have lots of hair to keep my head warm). However, I am still considering a helmet if I ever find one I like that doesn't break the bank. The only issue is that I don't generally wear goggles unless it's a flat light day and sunnies look daft with a helmet. Plus my ski buddies are threatening to disown me if I wear a helmet. But hey, it's all about choice.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I converted to helmet wearing last year, and this year had a lesson on why wearing a helmet's a good idea - I fell over on a green run, it was a steep section but for once I was being relatively sensible, hit slush ski popped off and I fell and hit the back of my head. Not sure how I would be feeling if I wasnt wearing a helmet, I do know I hit my head really hard and because of the helmet it didnt hurt or harm me.

I did get helmet checked afterwards, had it been my riding hat or a crash helmet I would have replaced it. I also noticed this year that most of the instructors with the company I ski with have helmets, and more guests do to.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonny Jones, Laughing Laughing excellent

queen bodecia, you'd definitely be good for reason No 4 Toofy Grin

On our week in Courchevel a few weeks ago, 2 of the group were still 'hat-wearers'. After a nasty fall and slide by one of them they both went and bought helmets that evening.

I understand on next week's skiing I'll be the only helmet wearer in the group Shocked Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

We all know how successful the Vikings were when they visited foreign lands. And we all know what their most successful warriors wore on their heads.

I rest my case.

Quoted for awesomeness!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is about choice.
I choose to wear a helmet so as to minimise the risk of being a burden for my children.Why the hell would they want to spend their life wiping spittal from my chin.
I can give lots of reasons to wear a helmet but can't think of one reason why not too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia wrote:
The only issue is that I don't generally wear goggles unless it's a flat light day and sunnies look daft with a helmet.

Na come on how cool does this look?

http://windbriefs.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/drdave-034.jpg
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Yeah, can you imagine rapers and pillagers in bobble hats?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Reason 11: You can never tell what other people are going to do. My friend has just had an overnight stay at Thonon hospital after being wiped out last night skiing on the Linga. Even with his helmet on he was KO'd for a minute or so, it's impossible to say what would have been the prognosis if he'd only been wearing his beanie.
snow report
DB, Laughing

I was supposed to go and buy a lid yesterday but my little girl was poorly so couldnt go. Will try again next week. Am actually quite excited.
snow report
Reason 4 sold it for me. I am a Norse God!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Sure, why not?

http://spendmoneyonline.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/beard-head-knit-cap-viking-edition.jpg

http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.196129155.jpg

http://www.aquasauna.net/Voilok/big/k132.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3022/3014953341_68c6ddeb6f.jpg

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 28-01-11 10:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
My last hat-wearing buddy bought a helmet last week. I now know no-one who skis in a hat. Now I know it's a bit of a verboten topic around here, but I thought I'd let you know why I wear a helmet........

Oh please, please, don't. Oh. You have. rolling eyes
snow conditions
tafflondon wrote:
Reason 11: You can never tell what other people are going to do. My friend has just had an overnight stay at Thonon hospital after being wiped out last night skiing on the Linga. Even with his helmet on he was KO'd for a minute or so, it's impossible to say what would have been the prognosis if he'd only been wearing his beanie.

Quite.
ski holidays
Quote:

Sure, why not?

rapers and pillagers in bobble hats, that must be for beginners wink
ski holidays
if I wsasn't already a helmet wearer the thought of joining the Norse hordes would have persuaded me! (can we have a viking smiley) snowHead
snow report
livetoski wrote:
Quote:

Sure, why not?

rapers and pillagers in bobble hats, that must be for beginners wink

Yes for expert terrain/pillaging you need a proper gnarly helmet

http://www.chrisdetrick.com/blog/pics/viking_skiing.JPG

http://deepfriar.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/vikings-olympics-ski-jump.jpg

http://deepfriar.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/viking-schussing.jpg
snow conditions
tafflondon wrote:

he would probably have been more aware of his surroundings aided by better peripheral vision, seen and heard the other slope user much earlier and have avoided the collision Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

So, my friend, did the Nazi Stormtroopers, according to the comic books I read as a nipper. On the other hand the brave British Commandos only wore bobble hats, whilst heroically machine-gunning them in the back.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
tafflondon wrote:

he would probably have been more aware of his surroundings aided by better peripheral vision, seen and heard the other slope user much earlier and have avoided the collision Very Happy

this...
snow conditions
Whitters wrote:
Quote:

So, my friend, did the Nazi Stormtroopers, according to the comic books I read as a nipper. On the other hand the brave British Commandos only wore bobble hats, whilst heroically machine-gunning them in the back.

and this are excellent.. stand by to repel the helmet nazis!!
ski holidays
I agree Jonny Jones - Helmets are cool !
Especially for the new generation of aggressive young skiers like yourself.
Can I ski with you ?

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helmets are cool. Lets face it they are another item of clothing that can have cool graphics etc.

Except if you have a pudding head like me. My helmet makes me look like an extra from "Pigs in Space". I have tried to disguise its enormous size by putting stripes along it. But I have this sneaking suspicion I am really only fooling myself
snow report
Excellent Jonny Jones ... manufacturers should print your list at the bottom of the care label. Toofy Grin The care label for bobble hats & beanies should only need the instructions for washing out the smell of old pee. wink
snow report
In Mayrhofen last year I saw a guy skiing on the piste in dark leather trousers and a jacket wearing a Nazi style helmet. He looked like storm trooper on his way to the Blue Oyster Bar.

In case anyone unsure of the reference

http://youtube.com/v/tdbt-sx5MDc

Wish I'd had my camera, it was priceless Laughing
snow conditions
That's brought a huge chuckle to a boring work Friday afternoon. From an ex-hardcore non hat wearer recently turned helmet fan. Laughing
snow report
yag_si_HS wrote:
Can I ski with you ?

First rule of skiing - you need snow.
ski holidays
Reason 5: Because I want to look like an expert
Go anywhere in the Alps and ride a lift that only serves black runs, ski routes or off-piste terrain. You'll struggle to find anyone wearing a hat. Now ride a lift that serves namby-pamby, silky-smooth green, blue and red groomers. Your eyes don't deceive you: the hat wearers are drawn to easy-peasy runs like politicians to a honey trap.

If you want to look like an expert, buy a helmet.

Probably get killed for this but exactly the opposite in my experience. I mostly ski in Chamonix and around there but the majority of good skiers are not wearing helmets especially the locals. It's generally gapers pottering around in lids. You are probably right for the rest of Europe. I don't know?

I actually finally bought a helmet but only wear it when I'm skiing exposed stuff or know I'm going to be skiing fast on hard pistes. I'm sure I will now fall down the stairs tonight and smash my head in. Very Happy
snow report
Now if your talking Helmets then, this makes me feel like getting my old MotoX bike helmet out of the loft for my next trip

http://youtube.com/v/BeXmSFtYFcM

what the heck its Friday afternoon
snow report
livetoski, brilliant Laughing
ski holidays
livetoski, Laughing I wonder how long it took to film that?
latest report
And that showed something that should NEVER be seen in public...one man polishing another mans helmet! Shocked
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
yag_si_HS wrote:
Can I ski with you ?

First rule of skiing - you need snow.

First rule of wearing a helmet - it goes on top of your head, not on the back of it.
snow report
Deffo a deliberate gape. You could whack another pair of gogs in there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy