Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xscape - Seams fun!

Poster: A snowHead
Reckon Arthur Scargill's thoughts would be unprintable..... anyone visited this place?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3545591.stm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That snow slope wouldn't be a black run, would it PG? Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Coald well be!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Case of pitting yourself against the elements??
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I was in Leeds a couple of weeks ago with a French colleague we popped in to have a look. We didn't ski as we had to take clients out for dinner that evening. The French bloke I was with is a very good skier from Annecy. He thought it was a great idea but thought we were mad to pay £20 per hour for such a short slope.
I have to return to the Leeds area today and intend to get a couple hours skiing in this evening. I'll let you know how I get on, if your interested.
Skiing aside the place is pretty awesome esp. the assault course which is suspended from the ceiling and about 30 foot off the floor. The Ice climbing looked quite good also.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Please do. I'm sure you'll be a mine of information on your return.... Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He'll just slag it off Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If he fancies a drink after all that exercise he might be advised to give the coke a miss.... especially if it's "the real thing"...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did you make it to Xscape, Boardski? Don't tell me, was it the pits? Or did it fuel the desire to get back over to the Alps for some more of the real thing? Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, haven't you mined this rich seam of black humour enough yet? Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
[disappears in a puff of smoke.......]
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This could be a carbon copy of the electric ski thread.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No - I get the feeling it's already beginning to fizzle out....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fizzled back in.....
Just got back from the North and I have to say that the skiing was pretty good. I was to knackered to go on Sunday following a 4 hour drive so went for an hour on Monday instead.
Slope was shorter than expected and had been scraped smooth in the middle which initially proved to be tough as the edges on the rental skis were dull. Either side of the slope was grand with all the broken up snow and this was where I played while 1/2 doz strangers scraped down the middle. I had expected a tougher gradient so it was hard to keep up speed when doing short radius turns down soft stuff either side of the slope.
The run up to the rail and the edge of the sledge area provided little jumps to play on and makes for an excellent jump practice for jump novices like me. I did try the rail and got dumped on my back bottom but it was well worth it.
Only one of the two drag lifts were in operation. It was far to slow and the matting kept being exposed by the staff who insisted using the drag lift with neither board nor skis. Evil or Very Mad
I skied on my own and it was OK but if you go in a group it would be a blast and would be worth a weekly visit for anyone within a 30 min radius.
I asked about season tickets but as yet they have not sorted this out Crying or Very sad I'd say £500- £600 pa would be a good investment. Particularly if it can be combined with a ski club of some sort.
I skied for an hour and at the end wished I had had time for another Crying or Very sad .
I think £20 for the hour was steep but I will pay it again the next time I'm up that way - I do need my snow fix.

Snowhead rating
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Sad Sad Sad

Marc Gledhill, Why did you think I'd slag it off?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were getting a bit carried away with all the coal references...... black run, mine, coke, pits, seam, slag .... then it 'fizzled out' as we ran out of inspiration Smile
ski holidays
Boardski, First time I went, I payed for an hour and wished I'd payed for 2 (2 hours is £30...better value). The second time I took the full 2 hours and got very bored! Admittedly it was a Saturday and was difficult to let rip, partly due to the lower half of the slope almost totally being taken over by lessons.

I know what you mean about the exposed carpet under the lift...It had the added bonus of knocking all the beginners over, bringing one of the lifts constantly to a halt! Skullie
snow conditions
Sounds like they're not very good on the piste maitenance side of things, icy in the middle and carpet on the lift doesn't sound great Confused
ski holidays
I took a couple of beginners to Xscape for their first experience on "snow" and they had an absolute blast. snowHead Whilst is doen't compare with the real thing its 10 times better than a dry slope for learning on! Don't think i would go on my own just to ski but i would maybe go to practice on the jumps and rails. As Boardski says with a group of friends you could have a fun couple of hours. There's also loads more to do there and the climbing wall and the ice wall look pretty cool! I imagine i'll be making a few visits there during the summer months!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
My session was the last one prior to the basher grooming the slope so I may have turned up at a bad time w.r.t. slope condition.
The exposed matting under the lift was particularly annoying and got even more so when I saw how it was caused. I spent most of my time on the lift with my skis at 60 deg's to the direction of travel in an attempt to redistribute the snow at the side of the track back to where it was needed. I did have a pop at the Kevin and Perry type lift attendants about it but they just shrugged their shoulders and went back to looking miserable. rolling eyes
ski holidays
My other half, who can acutally ski, fell off the lift twice before she realised that it was the carpet pulling her over. Teach her a lesson to look where she's going, even on a tow snowHead
snow report
Hey Boardski, I went for the first time myself on Monday, quite enjoyed it as well for a couple of hours.
Your spot on with the review, especially the lift attendants rolling eyes
I found the snow to be a little 'sticky' in places for want of a better word, and the drag was far too slow. I'm assuming the one on the other side would be quicker for the more experienced drag lift user.
Only paid 25 pounds for two hours which I thought wasn't bad seeing as though there we're only a few people there for most of the time.
D G Orf, Its not icy in the middle. I'd just call it hard snow. I took my own skis which have a decent tune and it was fine.
snow conditions
markP, Oh ok, fair enough then, but you would think with the amount they charge per hour and the short length of the slope that they would do slightly better piste and lift maintainance. That and only running one lift would spoil it for me, min you I'm not likely to get there any time in the future anyway so I don't know why I'm moaning Confused
snow report
When we went to MK last year they had the piste basher out at the end of the night. I guess it's a hassle to clear the slope and do it on a regular basis throughout the day.
ski holidays
Heheh. I guess they we're slack because it was a Monday afternoon and there was only a dozen people there.
I know Tamworth bash the slope a couple of times a day, and I expect Castleford do the same. Especially before the evening price change I would expect.
Interesting to note though that the good snow in the midddle dissapeared off to the sides when it got busy with snowboarders.
oooohh, controversial...
ski holidays
MarkP, This was "peak rate" time (5-6pm). I do find it odd that they have an hour at peak rate then close the slope for an hour to bash it then reopen at 7. It would make more sense to bash it right before the peak rate starts.
Next trip is in 3 weeks and I'll book 7-9pm this time and get on right after the piste is prepared.
Re the snowboarders comment - statements of fact are never controversial
snow conditions
Wink
Its a shame the slope isn't just that little bit steeper, It would have been so much better.
snow report
It would be nice to have somewhere with a nice long slope as well Wink
latest report
I've always resisted the temptation to do XScape as I'm sure it would leave me desperate for the real thing. A bit like going to the pub when you can have only one pint...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't mind giving it a go. If anyones planning a visit, let me know and I'll try and join you.

For those worried about internet stalkers, I'll be wearing a full face ski mask and swinging a chainsaw, so I'll be easy to spot. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Xscape is quite good if the alternative is dendrix, but slope conditions can be changeable to say the least... I've been a few times & experienced everything from sheet ice to mashed potato. Some times it's been excellent, though.

Other than that, facilities are good (lots of lockers, free kit hire if you need it) and the slope is a decent length for this sort of thing.

I just wish people there wouldn't laugh at my bicorne hat, it's very unkind. Grrr.
latest report
How come in a controlled environment they can't manage to maintain a constant temperature and snow conditions?
latest report
I would guess that possibly they are affected by ambient humidity and maybe the roof and walls are not as well insulated as they could be
snow report
marc gledhill, I'm probably going the week after next - if you can bear to be seen with 4 really bad boarders (we're really skiers in disguise Twisted Evil ). Will let you know if we nail a time/date.
snow conditions
The temperature is always constant as far as I'm aware. The snow seems to vary in consistence from time to time. I think it has more to do with the mixture of whatever chemicals they put in. I'm not sure though.
I'd be mighty suprised if insulation was at fault. The damn things brand new! Surely they designed it right. Right?
latest report
markP yes of course they must have, I mean no civil engineer in recent history has made mistakes, that footbridge over the River Thames was supposed to make people seasick wasn't it Laughing
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, Ok let me know and I'll try t get there. If you're all boarding I'll bring my old one piece dayglo Laughing

markP, What chemicals? I'd just presumed it was hard water. Also it's structure will change as it's skiied on (won't it?) as that will melt the snow.
snow report
Going back a little, but markP, they do run both lifts at busy times, allegedly one fast one for experienced users only.

In practice, the ski school uses both lifts and consequently both lift run very slowly and grind to a halt on regular occasions! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Paul Holland wrote:
In practice, the ski school uses both lifts and consequently both lift run very slowly and grind to a halt on regular occasions! Evil or Very Mad

Just like our railway network then Paul Sad
snow report
Thats good to hear Paul, Thanks.
Marc I'd read that chemicals are used. Don't know what, don't know how much.
I think its one of the reasons that Milton Keynes xscape has had alot of problems with slow running snow. I believe they had to shut down once and let most of the snow melt and start from scratch again.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy