Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

should I try mono skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've been skiing now for around 9 years and in the past I have only ever used blades, this is because as an amputee I find that I simply do not have enough strength in my right leg to control a full length ski with heavy bindings. I am pretty competent on blades and ski mostly reds. Recently I have been interested in looking at mono skiing and was wondering if anyone has any experience or advice as to whether I would find this easier or harder. My amputation is through knee so the control would be coming from the hip.

thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
.Stu., It sounds like you are a right leg amputee and your left leg is ok? Is that right?

First, to answer your question: should you try monoskiing? There's no reason why not!
Normally beginner monoskiers need a day or two to get used to sitting down and balancing over one ski. So, the first day or two can be quite hard work, lots of balancing and falling over! However, you have full control and feeling of your hips so it is likely that you'll be able to balance fairly quickly. As you already ski, your learning is likely to progress quickly as you can probably already feel when you have a flat ski on the snow and when you are on your edges etc. etc.

Would you find it easier or harder than blades? Can you remember when you first put the blades on? How difficult was it then? You would be learning a new skill, but like I said, you already have a head start if you already know how it feels to slide on snow.

Another option would be 3 tracking. You would use a normal ski on your left leg, nothing on your right and use outriggers to help you balance. Outriggers are like a forearm crutch with plastic skids/skis on the bottom so they slide over the snow. This way you would not be restricted by the strength of your right leg. Once you had a good technique skiing with one ski on your left leg there would be nothing to stop you from skiing all over the mountain.

Likewise with monoskiing, once you've got the hang of it, you can ski anywhere.

Does that answer your question at all? If you want more info, give me a shout...
(I teach adaptive skiing in Austria)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First off thanks for the reply you have gone a long way to answering my question.

I am a right leg amputee and I have been using blades since I was 6 or 7 so cant remember how hard it was to learn. I think my earliest memory of skiing was the first time I went up onto the proper mountain and so by this point the worst of the learning curve was out of the way.

I was really wondering is where abouts does one generally control a mono ski from (is it mostly from the knees, ankle, hip ect.) and how much do you actually have to use both legs and how much could you get away with doing most of the work with one leg?

thanks again for the help Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
.Stu. wrote:

I was really wondering is where abouts does one generally control a mono ski from (is it mostly from the knees, ankle, hip ect.) and how much do you actually have to use both legs and how much could you get away with doing most of the work with one leg?

thanks again for the help Smile

I think as a "one and a half" leg skier you probably have a good idea what you can and cant do and can probably understand from watching....

watch glen plake, lesson over Happy

http://youtube.com/v/ZeCnXIB60RM

Its on the bumps but you should get an idea with the slo mo bit what the movement is

Now the hardest thing is growing the hair !!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah... I was thinking about this kind of monoskiing
http://youtube.com/v/CYgmZOsNtdI&feature=related not Glen Plake's kind!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah I was talking about the standing kind. Thanks everyone I definitely think I'm gonna give it a go. Is it possible to hire monoskis at many rental places?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi Stu, have a look on ebay etc, you might be able to get in well cheap, not sure if you will be able to get an old school monoski in any of rental places. Place a post in 'sell, buy exchange' - someone might still have in somewhere in a garage.

It might work better on you as legs are together, you are right a lot of movement come from hips, even upper body. It should work on you too. You need to have a think about moving on getting on and off chair lifts etc.

Good luck, Dom
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey ho Stu..
I've still got my old mono ski.. A 'cocktails' graphics Rossinol. A classic. edges rusted out.. too long in ex wife's cellar! I intend to be buried on it.. You'll be lucky to get an old school mono..they are collectors items.. but they are now making new design parabolic ones..

I now ski a sit-ski mono.. Which I recommend you try when your knees eventually give out. but I look back on those days with longing..

I started mono (old school) because my arthritic knees forced me to change from skis .. It is much less hard work (except when poling and narrow icy paths ).. Its a lot of hip and knee movement, and forward backward movement, counter rotation and slightly longer poles.
It was harder to carve anything in those days but if you hooked it on it flew .. BUT it was really good on slush, powder and groomed even moguls... but on icy hard pack.. ..you've only got one edge so you need technique... I've even 'raced' it on dry slopes dendix... Chair lifts no problem.. drags a bit of a pain!
Its highly recommended as there is much less loading of the knees.. Soar like an eagle... Those were the days.. Madeye-Smiley

Think of buying/borrowing some MB elbow pads and maybe some hip armour if its icy when you're learning. Trust me it will be worth it.. Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I saw a few peeps in austria using them, one person on a seated one. I give you guys my upmost, except the guy who whizzed passed me on on whiile i was on my first red wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy