Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

cheap ski carriage do they check the contents of your ski bag?

Poster: A snowHead
Booked 1 set of skis with Easy to France but have now decided to take 2! Could do without the extra costs of booking a second set on if I just put them in the bag do they ever check?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We didn't have our ski bag checked in either direction last week.
In fact, and I'd need to search the complex T&Cs to be sure, I don't think there's a problem putting two sets of skis in one bag. I think you buy the facility to take 'sports equipment' allowing you to take the extra bag and extra weight. I don't think there's a stipulation on how you use the allowances except that it must contain some sports equipment.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
generally no, as long as you do not exceed the weight limits. Read the folloing thread for clarity on this Very Happy

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70679&start=40
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The normal weight limit is 6KG's it normally depends on the airport as to whether check you or not. For insurance purposes you can normally only claim for one set if ski's are lost and if you putting anything else in the bag you will not be able to cliam for that either.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richiavo wrote:
The normal weight limit is 6KG's

Are you sure? That's not how I read EJs conditions and every ski bag I've ever taken has been well >6KG

Richiavo wrote:
For insurance purposes you can normally only claim for one set if ski's are lost and if you putting anything else in the bag you will not be able to cliam for that either.

Are you sure? And isn't that up to the insurance company, not the airline? As an aside, I have claimed for items other than my wife's boots that were in a lost/stolen boot bag. The insurance company wanted to satisfy themselves that they were definitely missing and what their value was. They didn't ask what bag they were in.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richiavo, see the link I posted above ... one thing for sure the normal weight limit is not 6 kg !
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My experience is that the T&C's would say their sports equipment charge covers 1 set of skis/snowboard, however in practice I've never had anyone ask to peer into my bag to check whether there's 1 or 2 snowboards in my coffin style bag so I've risked it.
When travelling in a couple what we've done is paid for 1 sports equipment and put 2 boards plus extra stuff like boots and helmet in a coffin style bag and then 1 suitcase/large bag for clothes.
Danger is apparently if there's any issue with baggage its more likely the snowboard bag won't make it, and as it has more than just boards it may be lots of hassle getting sorted to get on the snow on the first day...

Currently contemplating a cheap Crystal ski package but their baggage policy is a joke - you are not allowed anything in your sports equipment bag other than the snowboard - so not sure if they would actually check at the airport and make you put everything else in your other bag... Think its just a ruse to make as much money on baggage charges to balance out the cheap headline price of the holiday.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just been on EJ and although ski bag was weighed, approx 20kg with skis, boots, ski tuning gear and small clothing items etc no comment made.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
EJ is fine. It's the weight that counts. TOs can be a PITA and can make you pay extra for 2 pairs in one bag.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountain mad wrote:
Currently contemplating a cheap Crystal ski package but their baggage policy is a joke - you are not allowed anything in your sports equipment bag other than the snowboard - so not sure if they would actually check at the airport and make you put everything else in your other bag... Think its just a ruse to make as much money on baggage charges to balance out the cheap headline price of the holiday.

There is a BIG complaint going on on their website forum at moment about this. They offer 20Kg, or at extra expense, 23Kg. The charge is £30 PER skis/board. They say that there is a maximum of 10Kg for this item but the bag must ONLY contain one pair of skis/board, but everyone is asking why they can't then put their other gear in here if they have paid for 10kg of allowance....

Their argument is that they estimate how many can be taken with the weight restrictions in place, and if it get's unloaded due to weight restrictions, then they will provide superior skis free until you are re-united with your skis. They suggest that EJ would not have as many people flying with heavy bags & equipment, unlike a specific charter ski flight, so EJ can relax the weight restrictions per person....

Of course I want to take as much as I can without paying for it, so I have previously put stuff in my ski bag (to protect my skis etc). How long this will continue before they start checking I don't know, but if they do I am sure it will cause a backlash...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We did exactly that with Easyjet a few weeks ago. You won't have a problem, as long as you don't exceed the weight limits - assuming you have a suitcase and ski bag booked, you've got 20kg + 12kg, but it doesn't matter how you distribute the weight. Your ski bag could be 20kg, but then your suitcase would need to be 12kg.

If they ask, just lie. They won't go opening your bag. You can get two pairs of skis in a snowboard bag easily enough, as long as it is long enough.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I stuffed soooo much stuff in my ski bags with easyJet, seriously they were bursting at the seams! No issues were raised...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mac22, Yup... if baggage handling didn't chuck them around we wouldn't need to cushion our skis with so many clothes Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did three trips with Crystal last season - only paid £30 and packed two pairs in one bag each time. Never had any problem - just booked on line for departure next Saturday done the same again, and yes our ski's will be padded /protected with some clothing. Just hope my luck does not run out Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With Ej many times , as I understand it got to be 12kg or less for skis and boots paid as ski carraige, not supposed to have other stuff in -they have checked my boot bag too before. One set of ski's and boots probably weighs about 12kg or more ..... they have regulated it before , but i do find I need to rest the ski bag on my leg as it's being weighed , for errr stability... ahem....

Seems to be luck of the draw, but seem fairly strict at Bristol IME but on retern from Geneva , never so much as a hair turned....

From EJ "Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs."

So pay your extra for ski carraige and get 12kg on top of the 20kg you've paid for already.So can combine it how you like - I believe flybe have different policy though , all separate weight allowance etc.....and charge even more for ski carraige......aghhhhhh
ski holidays
jennycook wrote:
So pay your extra for ski carraige and get 12kg on top of the 20kg you've paid for already.So can combine it how you like - I believe flybe have different policy though , all separate weight allowance etc.....and charge even more for ski carraige......aghhhhhh

no, 20kg comes with the flight - you do not have to pay for a hold bag to get 20kg, you can pay only for a ski bag to have 32kg

see here http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70679&start=40
latest report
snowbandit wrote:
Did three trips with Crystal last season - only paid £30 and packed two pairs in one bag each time. Never had any problem - just booked on line for departure next Saturday done the same again, and yes our ski's will be padded /protected with some clothing. Just hope my luck does not run out Toofy Grin

Booked for February Snowbandit, so can you please let us know how it goes - good luck!
snow report
Dont worry, never had a problem with EJ. Sure you'll be fine
Monium wrote:

If they ask, just lie. They won't go opening your bag. You can get two pairs of skis in a snowboard bag easily enough, as long as it is long enough.

however...on returning early from a season (so you can imagine how much was in my board bag) I got asked to open my bag not by check in but by outsized luggage. When I tried to pull my boards (2) out everything was so tight nothing would budge. They were on one end I was on the other and we were not going to get into it unless I had a good half hour and another hour to repack so I just repeated returnez pour season and looked helpless. It worked they just zipped it back up and put it on the trolly! Great way of international smuggling!

Anyway point is people do get asked to open bags, they just dont do a lot when you do!
ski holidays
rayscoops, Not how it reads to me.... looked at the thread you mentioned and used the hyperlink given to get this below ..... you have to PAY for the hold bag (eg 20kg) and then if pay for ski carraige get extra 12kg.... interesting it also says must include sports equipment - presumably to stop you using it as cheaper 'normal' excess baggage.....

http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage.html

"Hold luggage - how much can you take?

Each passenger who pays for a hold bag can take up to 20kg of luggage. This weight allowance applies to the passenger rather than to the bag so purchasing extra bags is possible but will not increase the allowance. If you think you’ll need to take a little bit more with you, you can buy some extra weight – it’s best to do this online before you fly as the online charges are considerably cheaper than at the airport.

Sports equipment – how does it work?

Buying weight allowance for sporting goods gives you a 12kg extra weight allowance. You must be travelling with sports equipment (as listed in the booking process), although the exact weight distribution between items doesn’t matter.

For example:

* One passenger travelling buys a bag and an additional sporting allowance. This gives an allowance of 2 items (which must include 1 sporting item), at a total weight of 32kg. However, if the sporting item is 18kg and the bag is 14kg then that’s fine with us!
* Two passengers are travelling with one hold bag and two pieces of sports equipment. This gives an allowance of 3 items (which must include 2 sporting items), at a total weight of 44kg. The exact distribution of weight between baggage items doesn’t matter, subject to the maximum weights detailed above for health and safety reasons.

One very important thing to remember: if you’ve told us you’ll be bringing sports equipment, you must do so. In the example where one hold bag and one piece of sports equipment had been purchased, one of the two items must be genuine sporting goods!"
snow conditions
adventureontheriverbank, Can you put them in and hope for the best with a back up plan of someone to take them home for you if goes pear shaped? I suspect if you are not over the 32kg limit total will be ok - just the one pair of socks and pants for you then ...???
ski holidays
jennycook, rayscoops is correct, and if you look at the stick men diagrams on the link you have quoted you will see the first diagram in sports luggage confirms this.

One passanger with one sports bag only equals 32kg.
snow report
I see what you mean anarchicsaltire, but the words seem to contradict the pictures ......

Has anyone actually tried it , and succeeded ? Will my boot bag count as part of ski carraige as it always has before ? Hmmm not sure I could cope with the stress of risking it....
latest report
jennycook, 3 weeks ago all kit in ski roller bag, 29kg both ways no problems.
ski holidays
jennycook, been doing it for ages ... even before the 'stick men' Little Angel even though I am often told on here that I am wrong wink
snow conditions
Thank goodness BA is simple! Counts as your checked bag with the same 23Kg allowance, so me and the 3 kids fine with a couple of holdhalls and the big wheeled ski bag with 3 sets of skis, poles, kids boots and a few clothes for padding, just weighed it and it comes in at 20kg without any clothes in there
snow report
Fair enough - anarchicsaltire, & rayscoops, have you tried it from Bristol with EJ ? Did you have a boot bag too ?

They tried to tell me boot bag was not part of my ski carraige once and have looked in boot and ski bag before (separate occasions) , and other times waved through, once had to take out stuff as was heavier than weighed at home and still had to take out more when it was down to 100G over !It was about 4.30 am and no queue for check in as likely one of the first to book in......

Big signs everywhere at Bristol saying no ski boots in hand luggage .... I'm told other airports can't put helmets in HL either , though this has been ok at Bristol !!

There are no BA options in South West ..... EJ or Flybe.... or BMI from Cardiff......
ski holidays
jennycook, Mine was Luton/Geneva. Boots in with skis and clothes. Small ski backpack as carry-on with fragile things like camera, goggles and helmet. Was asked at secuity to open backpack as a piece of medical equipment had triggered their scanner, no concerns about the helmet at all.
snow conditions
I'm off to see how much I can ram in my 'double' ski bag and a hand luggage bag.....

Still like to know if anyone done from Bristol....... rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jennycook, I normally fly from Bristol (last flight 16th Dec), but always have my boots in my board bag or hand luggage and always have a copy of the T&Cs with me.
ski holidays
if they asked you to take your helmet out of h/l . what would they be able to do if you just put it on your head. Laughing
snow conditions
jennycook wrote:

Big signs everywhere at Bristol saying no ski boots in hand luggage .... I'm told other airports can't put helmets in HL either , though this has been ok at Bristol !!

I thought Bristol had removed that restriction last season, although it had been the case the previous year.

The only airport I am aware of which doesn't allow helmets in Hand luggage is Grenoble (and they also don't allow boots).
ski holidays
Quote:

Fair enough - anarchicsaltire, & rayscoops, have you tried it from Bristol with EJ ? Did you have a boot bag too ?

They tried to tell me boot bag was not part of my ski carraige once and have looked in boot and ski bag before (separate occasions) , and other times waved through, once had to take out stuff as was heavier than weighed at home and still had to take out more when it was down to 100G over !It was about 4.30 am and no queue for check in as likely one of the first to book in......

No such signs when I flew with EJ on the 15th of December; the staff on the check in desk couldn't have been more helpful when I checked in and were more than happy with me taking my ski boot bag (with boots in) as hand luggage. They did also inform me that as I had paid to take my skis (as sports equipment) I would be entitled to check in my ski boot bag into the hold free of charge.

Nick
latest report
Thanks all - must have changed the boots thing this year at Bristol.... Normally check in fine but once fingers burned once ....

Off to Grenoble on sunday - presumably i can take my helmet in as hand luggage as normal , but not coming home ??????
ski holidays
The only airport I am aware of which doesn't allow helmets in Hand luggage is Grenoble (and they also don't allow boots).
[/quote]

We flew in and out of Grenoble for Xmas week - took helmets in hand luggage both ways - never occured to me it wouldnt be allowed - why not? Helmets are light so didnt exceed hand luggage limit and they definitely went through the security belt without mention. I can see that boots might exceed the supposed 5kg weight limit but helmets?
snow report
sally s, No idea why not, but there were a lot of reports last year of there being signs at Grenoble asaying helmets weren't allowed in hand luggage.

And one or two reports of people who tried it and were refused.
ski holidays
off to mayrhofen next week so i had a trial pack the other day. 15kg for main bag (20kg limit) and 8kg for board bag inc jacket and trousers and warm jacket for night time. got the tickets today and they say NO extras in ski/board bags. Crying or Very sad
flying with thomas cook . should i risk it? dont fancy repacking at the airport. might end up wearing half my gear Shocked
ski holidays
@Mountain Mad - I had that problem on a trip to Utah. All bags made it to Detroit, but on the Detroit to Utah leg, the ski bag wasn't loaded. Turned up 3 days later. Had to hire skis (and buy clothes) in the meantime.
Prob less of a risk of losing a bag on a single Euro hop, but a _real_ PITA if it happens.
As an aside, I've never been asked to open my bags in 15+ years of travelling.... but as the written restrictions get more specific, it's only a matter of time.
Check in early, and be polite to the groundstaff.... and remember, its' called 'cheapy charter' for a reason!
good luck,
h.
snow report
hamilton wrote:
...As an aside, I've never been asked to open my bags in 15+ years of travelling.....

Used to happen quite often at customs when arriving in country (not just the UK) in the 60s and 70s. More recently, at Grenoble about 3 years ago I was asked to open my bag in a separate room by security. All very polite, and there was no problem.
snow report
nick,when you flew easyjet, what did you pay for in terms of luggage. This is what I have done and been told.

Me and my mate have booked between us 1 hol luggage 20kg and 1 board bag. the hold luggage is mine the board bag his. We will be under the 32kg no probs. Now I am thinking about buyig skis boots and a bag big enough to put all stuff in, I think it will come under 23kg. If not I will take boots as carry on. I talked to easyjet they said, I cannot pack my clothes into the ski bag, only sport equipment, i need to have a separate case too.

This is what I want it to look like

I pay for 20kg and 2 lots of 12kg. We only take to ski/board bags with all our kit in. Easyjet have said no, you need a separate bag. Do I?
Mark
ski holidays
harryspotter, this thread has the answer http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=73430
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy