Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which forms of skiing are expendable, if we're to reduce CO2 emissions?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at our sport in the round, as practised from the UK, there seem to be three key issues if skiing is to reduce its environmental impact (the greatest and most relevant impact being CO2 emissions and the resultant rising snowline) :

1. The destinations that skiers travel to (i.e. distance to get there: fuel consumed)
2. The mode of transport used (air-v-rail-v-car)

3. The number of ski holidays taken

According to figures in The Independent on 28 May, the CO2 emitted per passenger on a New York flight is over 10 times that emitted for a Paris flight, so the Geneva/Denver comparison is probably at least as bad.

Sadly, we should all ditch the idea of skiing in North America if we're to take this seriously.

The mode of transport for European skiing offers us three alternatives, plus the little discussed 'coach'. I suspect that the latter is actually the most fuel-efficient, and if the bus runs on modern fuels it's probably relatively clean.

The Independent claimed that rail travel is either 8 or 19 times less polluting than air, though a study by Lancaster University has drawn a less favourable comparison for rail. I'm doing some research of sources on this important question and will come back to this thread with more info. shortly. There are some indications that high-speed trains use more energy than medium-speed trains, which could be an argument for overnight sleepers that don't need to run at 180/190 mph.

As for the number of ski holidays, one thing that's maybe worth considering is taking fewer ski holidays without necessarily reducing the amount of skiing. A three-centre ski holiday, linked by rail (or maybe bus) connections, springs to mind, since it's the repeat UK-Alps journeys that bump up the pollution.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Trans-atlantic flights would be first to go if I had the responsibility of making skiing greener. Causes the least amount of pain to skiers (who still have world-class skiing to take advantage of), but makes a significant difference to the carbon footprint of skiing.

I would love to have a flexible, low-cost sleeper service London to Bourg St Maurice. Unfortunately it is cheaper to fly/drive via Lyon or Geneva, and current train services are not very flexible if you want a direct UK-Alps journey. A reduction in tax on trains, or an increase in tax on flights might help change this equation, but at the moment the train option is not as attractive for me as fly/drive.

Going for one long ski trip rather than several short trips is not an option I'm afraid. I'm lucky to be able to get a week off during the winter, often have to make do with long weekends. Going on multi-centre ski trips for a fortnight or more will have to wait until Jane and I retire!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk, at least in London you have trains that go to France.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here are the only two sources of rail-v-air comparisons I'm currently aware of, having phoned Friends of the Earth:

Commission for Integrated Transport. A comparative study of the environmental effects of rail and short-haul air travel (in other words, this research focuses on internal UK flights -v- inter-city rail journeys

University of Lancaster. Transport Energy Consumption: a discussion paper (by Professor Roger Kemp)

The Eurostar is reckoned to be highly CO2 friendly, incidentally, because its French sections run on power which is 80% generated from nuclear power stations, not that I'm personally advocating the operation of those.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Water skiing; polutes both air and water

What do the rail companies do with the sleepers for the 7.5 months of the year that they have no passengers. Cant see there being much out of season traffic.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, people don't only sleep their way to the mountains. The French use sleeper trains to go elsewhere too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elsewhere?? You mean that there are other places in France? Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
admin, I understand that, but i presume lots of UK traffic would overload the system. Direct service from York would suit my family every time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, at least in London you have trains that go to France.

Indeed we do, although I pay for that privilege by stupidly expensive housing, very poor public transport, congested roads, etc. I'd be very happy to join a sleeper service that ran from 'up north' direct to the Alps, especially if the potentially larger market for this type of service meant cheaper tickets and more flexible timetables.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
a job for Mr Branson I feel, anyone got his number ?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
The Eurostar is reckoned to be highly CO2 friendly, incidentally, because its French sections run on power which is 80% generated from nuclear power stations, not that I'm personally advocating the operation of those.

Although by instinct I'm not in favour of nuclear-generated power, I have to admit that I'm beginning to think it is the perhaps the only feasible solution to avoiding the excessive production of greenhouse gases. I'm sure other types of energy production should also play a part, but I think nuclear needs to be in there as a major part of the solution to the global warming problem.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nuclear Stations have a very high environmental impact in the construction stage. All that concrete and steel takes a great deal of energy to manufacture. When in use, nuclear power is extremely 'clean' - far, far better than burning fossil fuels. And solar and wind power will unfortunately never contribute more that a few percent. Wave power is potentially a useful clean method but needs much research and development before paying off. The big unknown with nuclear is the cost and feasibilty of decommissioning stations past their working life - since no-one has really tackled this yet.
On topic - it is nonsense that there is no VAT on aviation fuel. That would be a very quick and simple way to hit the low cost airlines which are providing so much of the transport to the alps.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kuwait_ian wrote:
...On topic - it is nonsense that there is no VAT on aviation fuel. That would be a very quick and simple way to hit the low cost airlines which are providing so much of the transport to the alps.

I don't think you are right, there, kuwait_ian. I don't know what the fuel element is of a flight. Let's say 75% for argument's sake. Multiplying that element by 1.175 (to allow for VAT at UK rates) would still leave flying as a far cheaper option.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kuwait_ian, The VAT is not important, I suspect what you mean is fuel duty. The VAT would just be claimed back by the airlines

Ships use and trains use "red" diesel but this still has a portion of duty applicable. Current duty on a litre of petrol or diesel is 47.1 p per litre (up to 48.32 on 1st sept) if a 737 can hold 5500 litres then a full tank would raise an extra £2650 in duty. I dont know what a 737 does to the mile, but it would certainly have a major impact on prices
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As far as I'm concerned, no forms of skiing are expendable. I'll happily drive an electric or biodiesel car powered by fuel cells/hydrogen/etc, generated from renewable CO2-neutral supplies, fit tripple glazing, walk to work, recycle rubbish, whatever it takes but I WILL NEVER GIVE UP SKIING so Friends of the Earth and their cronies can shove it where the sun don't shine Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
........... The VAT would just be claimed back by the airlines.........

Well, yes. But it does wind up as an end-user cost, provided the final product is VAT-rated. So retail customers would see that as an increase in price on their tickets, provided they were rated for VAT.

Good point about fuel duty. But if it were charged, it could have interesting side-effects. Airlines would probably look at whether it was cost effective to carry the weight of return-flight fuel from somewhere like Geneva which did not charge fuel duty. Indeed, it could encourage the development of an airport like Geneva (or some other non-EU airport) becoming a major hub for international travel.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 10-06-05 14:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
One Easter ski trip I cycled from the Netherlands to St Anton 900km. Dont think you can get greener than that & you arrive fully fit to ski Smile

Here in Holland cycling every day in all weather to the shops/school/work/station etc is a normal way of life & with a population is 16 million with 60 million bikes Very Happy
latest report
David Goldsmith, Where are you coming from ? Your initial assumption is that fuel consumption = C02 emissions = the major impact on the environment. As is pointed out later in the thread natural resource and hence C02 levels are significantly affected by many other factors ( e.g. cutting down trees in the first place).

Nero and fiddles comes to mind.

IF your contention was a real problem , why not go the whole hog and agree within the EC that only people living in that country can ski there ... problem solved. Hope you lot enjoy the Peak District.

A serious comment - are you a UK Liberal party member ? Evil or Very Mad

plake I wish I could be so succinct. I feel as if I've got involved in the making of a party political broadcast - thought it was the 1930s when this kind of continuous 'positioning' happened.

Sorry guys , it is irreleavnt to the manin theme but Fuel Duty/Local Taxes is quite complicated when applied to airlines ( I don't understand it) but is done based upon where consumed not upload.
latest report
eEvans, I'm coming from Kyoto.

And the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

Which international convention of scientists do you rely on for your facts?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 10-06-05 15:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, Like Dubya , I have little intention of reading / recognising it.

When you find the bit that says ' The best thing that the ski-ing community can do to reduce CO2 emmissions is to fly to Geneva not Denver', I would however be interested in seeing the link.

Given that cars produce per C02 per capita than airlines why not focus on them ?

As I suggested on another thread to bang on about 'itsy bitsy' nuances on what is ( I suggest but do not know) a fundamentally environmetally/ecologically unfriendly pastime is rather like p****** into the wind on the top of Mont Blanc.
latest report
eEvans, of course you're right, but surely those like us who indulge in the most hedonistic CO2-inducing pastimes carry the greater responsibilities to sort out a strategy?

These are still early days in a global fight against climate change that can only involve massive changes in lifestyle if it's going to save the snow.

In answer to your point cars are being focused on, but (as mentioned above) there's still this bizarre absence of taxation on aircraft fuel.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, as a child/teenager, I travelled to the Pyrenees in a French sleeper train.
To add my bit to the argument, I love travelling by train, and would do so if it were an option, but it isn't from here.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, Yikes, serious questions that I have to respond to - with full recognition that we are a bunch of environmental misfits!
Quote:
t surely those like us who indulge in the most hedonistic CO2-inducing pastimes carry the greater responsibilities to sort out a strategy

Your observation is both profound and correct. I am however one of those who will look to other 'solutions' other than those involving what I enjoy. Cynically I would suggest that I would consequently make a good politician.
Quote:
These are still early days in a global fight against climate change that can only involve massive changes in lifestyle if it's going to save the snow.

I am unsure, but will believe it and accept we should take the potential problem seriously. However there are a million and one other things that should be done on a global basis. Has anyone produced a report on the ways that skiers can 'minimise' damage to the environment? ( The fishing and boating industries adopted behaviours 20 years ago).

Taxation on aircraft fuel is not a 'bizarre absence' , if you look at EC, US and many state rules on 'commercial' fuels you will usually find that they are exempt/zero-rated from duties and taxes ! For once I am SURE of my facts.
snow report
Nick Zotov,
." But it does wind up as an end-user cost, provided the final product is VAT-rated. So retail customers would see that as an increase in price on their tickets, provided they were rated for VAT."

Nope, it is a value added tax not a purchase tax.

The end product already has VAT charged on it; any VAT involved in the setting up of the end product is offset.
snow conditions
john wells, I understand airline tickets are zero-rated at present. Open to correction, on that, though.
ski holidays
Looks like airline tickets are indeed zero-rated - see sections 4 and 5 here.
So, if VAT were charged on them EU citizens would be subject to it (I guess non-EU citizens could claim an exemption. Of course, John is right. But if the tickets were non zero-rated, the government would get the VAT revenue (despite the airline claiming its element back) and most airline passengers would suffer higher costs.
ski holidays
I would suggest that inter EU flights would be VAT applicable but those "exporting" or "importing" people to/from the EU would be exempt. Duty or a levy could be charged on fuel over a certain level present in tanks on arriving in the EU. This is currently done with trucks, sometimes illegally? on trucks on inter EU work.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I think safety considerations might preclude this.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair, I cant see them landing on MT as they would have to pay on the fuel either way.
snow report
If we're dropping forms of snow riding, surely we'd make at least some impact in many positive (not only climatically) ways by banning snowboarding?

[ducks and runs for cover...]
snow conditions
Alastair, I think safety considerations might preclude this.
ski holidays
I think there is alot of BS comimg from UK baesd posters talking about it and not acting on it ?

If you read between the lines on what has been said here, it seems to me its a case of "how can i get to the slopes on the dates i want at the cheapest cost possible price".

I think this is just fueling th fire Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, you're right - I did indeed mean fuel duty. Any ful nos. Sorry & TKS for the correction.
snow conditions
Just for everyones information neither coach, rail or air travel attract VAT i.e you don't pay VAT for the tickets on any of them, placing fuel duty on aviation fuel would have an effect, all the planes would land where there was no fuel duty to fill up meaning that they would actually increase the amount of pollution since the greatest amount of pollution given off by aircraft is upon taking off and landing, which would occur one extra time per journey, if fuel duty is going to work it has to be done world wide and the US will never agree to that because of the huge pressure that its commercial (oil, air etc.) lobby groups can apply, the government could apply an increase in landing charges instead which might get arround this but it might also result in many companies switching their routes from UK airports to continental ones for long haul destinations.

Personally in 36 years of going to the mountains I've taken the train 19 times, the coach 6 times, the car 7 times and I've flown just twice:
I found flying uncomfortable but quick but the luggage limits are a pain.
The coach was uncomfortable and slow and I'd never choose to use it now that I'm the one that pays, it was however cheap.
The car works out quite cheap with arround 3 people going and its great for carrying all the luggage plus its convenient for going door to door (or in my case door to Lauterbrunnen railway station Laughing ).
My favorite method of travel is however the train, no luggage limits and the ability to sleep overnight is great, you can walk arround the train if you need to have a stretch and apart from the UK they tend to be quite comfortable, they are however not cheap, especially if you decide to go for comfort and pay first class fares, it is however a pain to have to carry the luggage arround at the intermediaate stations, but no worse than at an airport where you usually end up running from the passport control to the aircraft because its so far away.
snow conditions
D G Orf, I'd pretty much go along with what you say, though, sadly, I usually find myself flying because of time and cost. I have travelled by myself by car. Bit of a nightmare, in the days of wind down windows and having to lean across the car to pay the tolls. But with 3, all drivers, and stopping overnight en-route, very pleasant indeed. Train is also comfortable, but expensive. And I don't sleep well overnight in them. Coach is a bum-numbing experience.
What happens in China, India, and America is going to make any changes we do rather insignificant, I feel.
ski holidays
Quote:

What happens in China, India, and America is going to make any changes we do rather insignificant, I feel.

That's right. Only the most emphatic political lobbying or sanctions from Kyoto-compatible countries - applied firstly to the good ol' US of A - will begin to arrest this apocalypse.

But we have apply exemplary environmental standards first.
ski holidays
Trouble is that China and India are signatories to Kyoto, but have no limits on their carbon emission, as Non-Annex-1 countries. So, they have no emission reduction or limitation targets.
snow conditions
Nick Zotov, the good thing about both countries is that they will be most unlikely to drive around in bloated monsters with huge lumps of unsophisticated detroit pig iron under the bonnets. But the huge numbers of small modern cars, trucks and buses they will use in the near future as both economies boom will still have an impact.
We really need the USA to make a conservation commitment and to lead by example. I'm not 100% sure of the figures but I think their citizens comprise 25% of the world's population but they use 40% of the energy. But with Bush in charge, we'll get nowhere unless the oil price goes so high the good old boys finally see the light.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, if the price goes too high he may add a few countries to his axis of evil list and invade Shocked
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
all the planes would land where there was no fuel duty to fill up meaning that they would actually increase the amount of pollution since the greatest amount of pollution given off by aircraft is upon taking off and landing, which would occur one extra time per journey

You might want to rethink the economics and maths of that Very Happy You also need to factor in fuel weight.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy