Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Skicross" skis - what are they?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Foloowing on from [louis post.

So precisely what is a ski(er)cross ski? Many of the manufacturers seem to classify them independently of "Piste' or 'Off Piste' skis yet they seem far to numerous to be 'sport'-specific.

So precisely how should they be seen ? Piste?/Off Piste?/All Mountain?/ Marketing blurb?

I have only tried a couple and the only distinguishing 'features' , I could suggest would be relative stiffness and consequent stability on ice/'icier' pistes/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eEvans, have you ever watched skicross? It's kind of like a downhill race through a terrain park. (think moto-cross or similar off road biking)
So, a skicross ski is a performance ski which can make quick turns, doesn't mind a bit of air, etc, and can get speed, they aren't great off piste, but they can cope fairly well.
Skicross is just another one of the steps in the Slalom/GS/DH ski types.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A skier cross ski is generally based on a GS ski, but a bit more flexible. I have some and I think they're great. I really love skiing at high speed on piste, but they're a lot more flexible if you want to hop off piste or into the bumps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head use the following categories for their skis: Racing, Skicross, Freeride, Park & Powder, All-Mountain.

Racing = SL, DH & GS skis
Skicross = XRC range
Freeride = Monster range
Park & Powder = Mojo/Mogul ranges
All-mountain = 'C' range
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1, Yes that was what I was originally told but some manufacturers ( Atomic) seem to have them as an alternative piste ski.
Wear The Fox Hat, Yes I have seen skicross - the sport- but unsure as to why that spawns a very poular type of ski .

Take you point on the head range but Atomic seem to position thiers as piste skis -- useful for both long and short tutns and Salomon the same

So are they the true Piste 'Jack-of-all-Trades' ski ? What am I missing ?

Others here have cited some models as being good offf-piste ( Head skis) ... while other folks seem to suggest that they are more flexible GS skis ...

The Salomon range seem to cross-over with their 'Carving' skis ranges .. even the blurb only uses 'ski-cross' as a differentiator as both are 'great for carving addicts' .... ho hum ..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't necessarily say they are more flexible than a GS, but if you're comparing them to a race GS, they are shorter.
So:
Shorter than a GS
Stiffer than an SL

And a lot of fun (well, mine are!)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, slightly wider than a GS or an SL as well?

eEvans, think of them ('cross skis) as the most versatile ski manufacturers could make if they started with a GS ski. They almost entirely replace the 'Race Carver' market segment of ca2000.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eEvans, I've got the SX10s by Atomic (not quite the stiffest) and I'm a bit lardy at the minute. They're 160s and me at mumblemumblemumble Kgs, going off piste is more an exercise in submarine warfare. They're great on piste for both long and short turns* and very stable in a straight line. Luv'em

Look at the 'metron' range of Atomics if you want to add off piste to a similar type of ski (waiting for my B5s cos some U*S (or similar) numpty drove over, the first ones sent to me, in the depot!) rolling eyes

*at least for the 3 turns that I'm deemed capable of by the guy that taught me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Submarine warfare: Masque, have you seen Cirquerider's Volkl 6*s at Tahoe pics yet? 3rd page (31847 and older).

EDIT: <pinnnng>
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Read quite an interesting article in a French ski mag (Skieur I think) saying that a lot of manufacturers were cutting down on their skiercross ranges. Seems it's a bit of a story of hype over substance and that most people don't really aspire to do what skiercross skiers do. I have a pair of Atomic SX11s which are great on piste, but if i was looking to replace them, I'd probably go for a pure slalom model
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, snowHead welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, Welcome .... well at least that might confuse me just a little bit less ! Does then beg the question , so which ski will they then claim " are excellent at both short and long turns' ( Atomic) and 'grip like nothing else ' {Head(?)) .... cynical ? Moi ? Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It'll be the same ski but with different graphics wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Arno, welcome to slushnuts.

eEvans, There's only one thing to do, try as many as you can . . . http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6972
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy