Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down under..

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking seriously about going for a month to Sydney and S. Island NZ this coming summer. Has anyone skied Thredbo or NZ? Best time to go? Prime reason for the trip would be to see family, but it seems daft not to visit the slopes a few times while we're there!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pete, I was in Sydney in August 2001 and there were day trips to Thredbo on offer for around £120 with all gear included (You probably don't want to take ski gear on a trip like that). It was a bad year apparently as I met a few Aussies in Fiji who had gone there instead of skiing.

I really liked the idea of trying it but management vetoed...

How's the weather in Les Arcs by the way? (Yes, I'm fretting!)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Overcast, not cold. The pessimists at meteo fr still reckon it'll snow around 1900/2000 and above Saturday and Sunday, so it could be worse. Warm and sunny afterwards, but just so long as it doesn't rain and the dreaded dry easterlies don't start to blow....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pete. Thredbo's certainly worth a ski in good conditions. The resort has quite an Alpine feel, and has some worthwhile slopes. July and August would normally be best for snow. Reckon on a 6-hour drive from Sydney.

If you're going to ski NZ, probably best to base yourself in Queenstown and check out some of the local ski fields. I've only seen Mount Hutt, which is not far from Christchurch, but I caught it a month after the winter ended. It has the hairiest access road I've ever seen, and the mountain looked pretty bleak.

By the way, Les Arcs Ski Club has the following blurb about the resort's founder:

"Before the Arc 1600 ski resort was built in 1968, the club gained real momentum under its new name, the 'Arbalète' ski club. Among those to hold the position of Chairman over the years, we would especially like to mention the co-founder of the Les Arcs resort, the much-regretted Robert Blanc."

Not sure about "much-regretted". I suspect this is a French -English translation hiccup!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, Thanks David! (Yes, a definite Frenchification, the inevitable consequence of eating too many snails and frogs' legs over the years. Will do some juggling with 'mourned' and/or 'lamented' when I next do an update!)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thredbo is pretty good. It has the longest runs, and a very pretty village. It and Perisher Blue are both in NSW and within easy reach of Sydney.
August is the "peak" month, a bit like February in the northern Hemisphere. Early September is also a very good bet, again, it's like March. Late Sept, especially in a good season, can be excellent. you get spring snow, but also loads of sunshine.
I'd stay in the village, if you can. Or else, there's accommodation up and down the alpine way, or you can stay at Jindabyne, about 30kms drive. But the village is worth it, good nightlife and it's damn pretty.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers snowant, David Goldsmith, Chris Bish, bit worried about Thredbo, obviously the odds of a good season are better further south in NZ. Still, cousins in both Sydney and NZ so a fortnight in each sounds good. Now to find the money!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As David said, go to Queenstown (South Island). I only skied one day at Coronet Peak, right at the end of the season (sept), but Queenstown is the adventure sports capital of the southern hemisphere. White water rafting, the home of bungee jumping, jet boating etc etc It'll keep you busy for weeks, even if the snow isn't great. If the snow is good, then there are several ski areas within travelling distance.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like I might not be able to go myself Evil or Very Mad so plan is to put daughter on plane to Sydney, then on flight to NZ (Coronet Peak Queenstown) - ski trip with cousins there organised from July 3rd for a fortnight. Then they're off to Queensland for a week, before heading back to Sydney, then Thredbo for ten days....

I'm a bit worried about sending an 11 year old on a trip like that though.... she's very keen, and it's the holiday of a lifetime, but even so... Confused Neutral
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, just stick her on the plane, she'll be fine and will love it!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy