Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Drive

Poster: A snowHead
Opinions on resorts with quickest access from calais, preferable with high altiltude blah blah blah
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
martski, Welcome to Snowheads. If you want suggestions on the above then a little more info is needed eg What colour is you car, petrol or diesel, favourite light snack, etc etc
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martski, welcome to snowheads, the closest reasonably sized resort to Calais is Chatel in the Portes des Soleil. You can get to a number of resorts within 81/2 - 9 hrs driving time including Chamonix and Verbier and if you extend that to 101/2 hrs then you've got just about the whole of France to choose from. It's motorway from Calais to just about Albertville which is within 80kms of Tignes, Val d'Isere and the Tarentaise and about 60 kms to the 3Vallees.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers last poster,
frosty, black car, diesel, pringles a go go
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
martski, Good choices, and although black is hard to keep clean it is really easy to spot in the snow. The point I was trying to get over was that if we knew more about your needs and circumstances then people could make more appropriate suggestions.

You will have to excuse me as I am still in shock from David@traxvax, not mentioning La Rosiere wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Apologies, needs are a week or possibly long weekend away for about four of us leaving wives and kids at home, leaving friday night, drive over night with the power of red bull and be on the slopes around lunch, staying wherever preferably independant chalet etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
martski, I'd go for somwhere like Chamonix, or maybe Portes du Soleil then
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, I'm sorry if I've caused you to spill your tea, very remiss of me but I'm happy to put that right now, martski when are you thinking of? We may be able to offer you space in Chalet le Mouflon, see our ad in snowShops for full details.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
traxvax website needs a good spray of wd40, cant access it, is this a hibernation thing?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
martski, Surprisingly we're no further away than Val d'Isere etc. Motorway all the way to Grenoble and then a decent road up to resort. I always allow 10 hours (driving on my own with breaks), actual driving time record to my knowledge 6.5 hours from Calais - (OK it was a Porche). High altitude, lots of accommodation choice etc. and not as expensive as most of those more northerly places!! Shocked

Send me a PM if you want more detailed info.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
martski - we nearly always drive (overnight - like you with the red bull!!).. It really doesnt make much difference in time whether you choose France, Switz or even Italy - if you keep away from the really far flung resorts - We've done long weekends in loads of resorts. check viamichelin.com and most resorts only show about 1 hr driving difference. With driving you get far more flexibility - so choose where the snow is best! xx
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, and there's me always being nice about L2A Confused That'll have to change!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the week you choose might have more effect on the driving time than the resort you choose. If arriving Saturday the "big" weekends could see you spending a lot of time in traffic jams, especially if its snowy. I would support the suggestion of Chamonix - almost all motorway, plenty of choice if you have a car (including St Gervais) and no long climbing hairpin bends. A long weekend going out overnight on Thursday might be a better bet, with far less traffic, and there are quite a few catered chalets in the Chamonix Valley which offer flexible days, not just the dreaded Saturday/Saturday. It's a pity to go for the flexibility of driving yourself, and still be stuck with arriving the same day as the rest of the mob.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try Engelberg in your route planner
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
neilswingler, how open's Engelberg right now? Have you been recently?
ski holidays
martski, &jayne durham, Red Bull is INTERDIT / VERBOTEN in France. (Taurine) Don't get caught with it as a driver and don't leave it on display in your car when disembarking train or boat, in Calais or other Port. Use your Hydrator bag with tube!

Police are more frequently targeting vehicles, especially obvious 'Ski' vehicles leaving Port for this and other items such as Anti-Speed Radar devices.
ski holidays
Is Red Bull really interdit? If so, I'm glad to know about it, as I always have some in the car. They sell drinks with reputedly similar properties in France - are they as good?
snow report
Bernard Condon, I think they've changed the law now. I'd always heard that it was banned, but (maybe a weaker brew) is now available in many shops.

PG, Most people think that the Oisans area is much further to drive due to us being further south. That's not true, (difference between here & Val is about -20K I believe) so I was only letting martski, know that. We are generally cheaper than 3V and Espace Killy though. Same applies to ADH.
ski holidays
easiski, I think it's still banned isn't it? It went to the EU court and they upheld the French right to ban it, as do a Scandanavian country, maybe Denmark?
ski holidays
I am with ise, on this one. I am fairly sure it is still banned. There may very well be similar products, minus the Taurine, available for sale.

Listen carefull e, I shall say ziss only once..... the tall Red Bull is still interdit - you shall have NON in France, or you may be imprisoned, forcibly repatriated, shot, or all three even.

Do be careful at the Ports - Red Bull on display is used to Stop & Search.
latest report
pam w I've tried the French equivelent once, I won't do it again.
ski holidays
Is it illegal to sell, or illegal to consume?
snow report
Excellant help chaps, am plotting already. Ta
ski holidays
New topic for discussion of Red Bull etc here........
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6917
latest report
ise, nope - building up my points for next winter wink Engelberg/Titlis was always my favourite spring day trip pre kids though.
snow report
not looked at the thread for a while - are you kidding about Red bull? All the french motorway stops sell Dark Dog or whatever it is called - (basically tastes the same) -??
I had no idea - I am horrified as I am almost paranoidly law abiding. Why????? its only like drinking strong coffee isnt it - or am I missing something??
ski holidays
jayne durham, Red Bull contains taurine (an amino acid) as well as caffeine (an alkaloid), and I think that it this to which the French object (whether on medical grounds or because they have a traditional French alternative which they wish to promote, I don't know).
snow report
i can't believe Red Bull is interdit - i saw no sign of this in december, and I live off the stuff!
Laughing Julia
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crazy_skier_jules, don't wish to spoil your day but:

- I think I remember you saying you were a vegetarian

- taurine (see richmond's post) is derived from animal products. See here.

Perhaps you're not too strict, but snowscreamer won't touch it!
snow report
Reinforcing laundryman's point, being a vegetarian, Red Bull - ugh, I won't go anywhere near the stuff Shocked
Looking for the effect the caffeine has, why not just have an espresso instead Laughing
snow report
I think not guys, the taurine in Red Bull is synthetically produced. That's an urban myth.
snow conditions
crazy_skier_jules, laundryman, snowscreamer, the taurine in Red Bull is not derived from cojones de toro rojo - it's synthesised. In fact the only thing that could make it objectionable to vegans or Jains is its name!
ski holidays
ise, cross post!! snowHead
ski holidays
slikedges, Very Happy posted in the same minute Very Happy
ski holidays
surreal, twice Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
ise, lets see if we make it thrice Laughing
latest report
crazy_skier_jules, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=6917
Lots more about Red Bull on this thread
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, it seems ise, slikedges are right. Sorry! Embarassed
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy