Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Cymru 10/11 - Eto, os gwelwch yn dda! (Wales 10/11 - Again, if you please!)

Poster: A snowHead
TUESDAY 12 OCTOBER 2010

Hoping to get back to Hokkaido this winter, but in the meantime I've been scoping lines in the hills.

The first turns of last winter were made on 30 November 2009, and with a cold snap forecast for next week and a cold winter on the cards the fingers are firmly crossed for some October turns in Wales.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesnature/2010/10/winter_cold_snap.html

Caught a magnificent start to the day in The Brecon Beacons National Park last Tuesday. Not a soul around, sunny, dry, calm air. It doesn't get much better up there.

Cribyn from Pen-y-Fan

Upper Neuadd Reservoir from Pen-y-Fan

Cribyn and Upper Neuadd Reservoir from Pen-y-Fan

NE Face of Pen-y-Fan with Cribyn's shadow

The trail crew already hard at it

Craig Fan Ddu from Pen-y-Fan

'There's gold in them thar hills' - one of Pen-y-Fan's gullies lit up

Cwm Sere and Cribyn from Pen-y-Fan

Last season's words and pics can be found here:

TR: Wales - Between a Rock and a Soft Place
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59222
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice, what camera, post processing (if any) did you use?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks.

Canon 7D with kit lens (18-135mm).

Quite a few stitched panoramas done in photoshop.

Post-processing? Photoshop is my wingman Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh my - hiraeth in spades!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
:like:
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great photos. Spend many a happy day traipsing around the Upper Neuadd when I was a kid, often with fishing rod in hand. Not that I ever caught anything, but a lovely place to be nevertheless.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looking forward to coming down for a few turns if the weather turns white...
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Mike Pow, gorgeous. I'd highly recommend hugin for doing your panos. It's a bit fiddly to set up but it's free and it does a much better job of blending at the joins.

http://hugin.sourceforge.net
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Smashing photos! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good work Mike The Lens.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow, snowHead snowHead snowHead welcome back. Hiraeth? I'll say; it never seemed to look like that when I was up there, crouching behind a wall with a Primus.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mike Pow - if you want something (else) to do whilst you're waiting for the white stuff in the Brecons - check out the vid in the posting
>here<
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey Mike Pow, great to hear that you're planning to get back to Hokkaido. Niseko I hope. You were well missed last season. I should be there around Feb/Mar for a week and hope we can catch up for a beer or few...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow, Beautiful Photos .... Thanks.
latest report
Ordinary_Skiier wrote:
Hey Mike Pow, great to hear that you're planning to get back to Hokkaido. Niseko I hope. You were well missed last season. I should be there around Feb/Mar for a week and hope we can catch up for a beer or few...

That would be great.

WEDNESDAY 13 OCTOBER TO TUESDAY 19 OCTOBER 2010

Autumn has finally arrived with Indian Summer temperatures by day and light ground frosts overnight.

Been spending most of my time over in the Black Mountain (Mynydd Du) hiking the faces and summit plateaus of Waun Lefrith (677m), Bannau Sir Gaer (749m) and Fan Brycheiniog (802m).

The slopes of Waun Lefrith drop approx. 200 vertical metres to the shores of the smaller of the two glacial lakes in the area, Llyn y Fan Fach, and the slopes of Bannau Sir Gaer drop the same distance to the meadow that separates the two glacial lakes.

Bannau Sir Gaer with the Waun Lefrith and LLyn y Fan Fach in the far right taken from Fan Foel

The slopes of Fan Brycheiniog drop approx. 200 vertical metres to the shores of the larger lake, Llyn y Fan Fawr.

Fan Brycheiniog with the Fan Gyhirych and Pen-y-Fan in the far distance taken from Fan Foel

Whilst the vertical is short, the 'peaks' in this area provide steep, consistent fall lines with very dramatic backdrops.

Autumnal colours and early morning mist on Fan Hir and Fan Brycheiniog taken from Cray Reservoir

Llyn y Fan Fawr and the slopes of Fan Hir and Fan Brycheiniog cloaked in mist
snow conditions
Awesome once again!

Was up in Snowdonia this week and there was some sprinklings of snow at the top of Snowdon so won't be long I suspect.
snow report
Gorgeous!
snow report
Properly fantastic.

Makes you wish it was in this country wink
snow conditions
cant believe how good youve made this place look hehe. my missus said there was some sleet this week at the foot of the valleys so wont be long, ive got my own skis now too so ill be up for a couple of free runs before my crimbo jaunt to 3V's

ps. im in taffs well just south of pontypridd
snow conditions
Mike Pow,
your photo's are amazing! what glass are you using on your 7D?
snow report
milnerhome, he said in one of the first posts that it was the kit 18-135mm. Little Angel

Mike Pow, those photos are something else. I absolutely love how atmospheric the fog has made the entire setting and you've done a terrific job of capturing the scene time-and-time again. Bravo! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Astraeus wrote:
milnerhome, he said in one of the first posts that it was the kit 18-135mm. Little Angel

its been a long day.. rolling eyes
snow report
Thanks all.

WEDNESDAY 20 OCTOBER TO THURSDAY 28 OCTOBER 2010

Mixed weather continues to be the order of the day this Autumn.

Unfortunately this part of Wales is neither high enough nor far enough north to enjoy the winter conditions hitting some of Europe this past week.

If it were I would have been digging out this morning after over 24 hrs of torrential rain.

Last week I caught a beautiful morning in the Black Mountain, and once the snow arrives I have the lines and shots lined up.

Sunrise over Pen-y-Fan and Fan Gyhirych taken from Llyn y Fan Fawr

First light on Fan Brycheiniog

Fan Brycheiniog and Llyn y Fan Fawr

Even Aberdare got in on the action with a wonderful sunset.

The top lake at Dare Valley Country Park, Aberdare

ski holidays
Mike, amazing images any chance of using the panoramic shot of Fan Brycheiniog and Llyn y Fan Fawr as my desktop background?
snow report
MONDAY 08 NOVEMBER 2010

Yr eira gyntaf - first snow

A wild, wild night of gale force winds and torrential rain last night in Aberdare translated to a light dusting above 700m in the Brecon Beacons this morning.

Took a drive over to see if early November turns were on the cards. Not yet. More forecast for this evening followed by a hard frost Wednesday which may make it skiable.

The first snow of the winter on the flanks of Fan Fawr

They had considerably more in Snowdonia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesnature/2010/11/stormy_wales.html
ski holidays
Mike Pow, Lovely shots fella... very inspiring. I'm planning a few gully descents.. maybe Banana on Y Garn if we get a good build up.
latest report
^^ nice, am tempted to take a trip over in the not too distant future especially if there's another skiff of snow!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Let me know please Scarpa. Would love to make some turns in Snowdonia with someone who knows the area. Especially in November Smile I'll bring my camera. Scout's honour.

Will keep you posted roga.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, All my prior experience is climbing based... never skied there. Some nice grade I gullies though. This was from mid 80's when I first got my hands on an ice axe... the slope would be good fun down the near side on skis.

ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
Will keep you posted roga.

Cheers dude, appreciate it and the wonderful photos too Very Happy
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
Mike Pow, All my prior experience is climbing based... never skied there. Some nice grade I gullies though. This was from mid 80's when I first got my hands on an ice axe... the slope would be good fun down the near side on skis.

or right down the guts Smile
snow conditions
I am determined to get some Brecons pow this winter
snow report
Mike does more for Wales than the tourist board ever could.
snow report
Stunning photos there, Mike. I particularly like the photos of Fan Brycheiniog and Llyn y Fan Fawr. What time did you take these photos? The light is simply stunning. Llyn y Fan Fawr is a place I know very well. I have camped there several times right beside the lake. It's a beautiful place to spend the night and watch the changing colours of sunset and sunrise unfold over the dramatic backdrop of sky, mountain and lake. I'm hoping to get up there again soon. We'll have to go for a hike sometime.
snow report
Thanks all.

Pics taken at sun up.

WEDNESDAY 10 NOVEMBER 2010

Couldn't get out yesterday and from the looks of this Lee David photo posted on Derek's weather blog there may have been just enough in the Black Mountain to make two or three turns.

Snow on the Hills
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesnature/2010/11/snow_on_the_hills.html

Set off way before sun up and had all the ski gear in the car just in case. One of the great things about the Black Mountain is you can see the slopes from the parking spot.

Unfortunately there was very little snow left and certainly not enough to warrant schlepping the skis.

However the light show on these treeless slopes and the dawn sky more than made up for it. The autumnal hues were in full effect in the heather, rocks and grasses of the slopes surrounding the glacial tarns Llyn y Fan Fawr and Llyn y Fan Fach.

Llyn y Fan Fawr and the twin peaks of Pen-y-Fan and Corn Du on the far horizon

Llyn y Fan Fawr and the slopes off Fan Brycheiniog from Bwlch Geidd

The dry stone sheep corall on Fan Brycheiniog

The trig point on Fan Brycheiniog with Bannau Sir Gaer in the background

Fan Brycheinog and Llyn y Fan Fawr taken from Fan Foel

Llyn y Fan Fach taken from Fan Foel

Where the snow had collected it was 15-20cm deep, wind packed and solid with a non-breakable freeze thaw crust. A full covering of that and it's on like Donkey Kong!

First snow on Fan foel with Pen-y-Fan and Corn Du in the distance
snow conditions
Excellent Fany p0rn. Keep 'em coming!
snow conditions
altis wrote:
Excellent Fany p0rn. Keep 'em coming!

Laughing
ski holidays
pam w, Hiraeth is my favourite Welsh word - full of emotion. No direct translation but it's like a longing for the past, like home sickness. Pronounced as he-raithe (but soflty).

Mike Pow, anhygoel, diolch.
snow report
Brings back some fond memories. Here's a few of my shots taken this year;

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=205390&id=510590995&l=c18de32724

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=201318&id=510590995&l=568408a629

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=234598&id=510590995&l=ffb75614ed

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=198108&id=510590995&l=1adced4b8f
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy