Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the perfect boiled egg

Poster: A snowHead
thought it would be good to list the time it takes to boil the perfect egg in each resort so as to save on the inevitable boiling of six, and hoping one comes out right.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ 1550 mtrs they usually take about 6 minutes hard white soft yolk a minute longer than at sea-level.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tricky, as it also depends on the size of the egg, whether it was in the fridge prior to boiling, etc.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i seem to recall near lac de tignes being nearly a nine minuter
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonm.... agreed,...maybe a more detailed approach is required. so please state size of egg, temperature of egg, and personal view of the perfect egg, and time to achieve perfect eggcellence at breakfast.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
been done

for a simple yet effective way of determining boiling time under normal conditions - see here

Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I cook them for 5 minutes 30 seconds in Monetier at 1500m, and 3 minutes 30 in Durham.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cannot be @rsed with pyhsics at the breakfast table. Fried egg sandwich. Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://blog.khymos.org/2009/04/09/towards-the-perfect-soft-boiled-egg/

Use a temperature controlled water bath at 65 deg C so you can't over-cook.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, 5 minutes for just-a-wee-bit-runny-in-the-middle at 1550m!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Has anyone considered how long it then takes post cooking to lift the lids off?...

The 'perfect' egg can go hard if unexposed for too long!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
flangesax, I always undercook if the person about toeat the egg is still in the shower. I like my egg white barely set.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I always undercook if the person about toeat the egg is still in the shower

Was going to say, sounds a bit kinky, then realised it was Hells Bells so enougth said Toofy Grin

Is this really an appropriate thread for 'The Piste'

It's about technique so 'Bend Ze knees' might be better Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The trick is to run the freshly-boiled eggs under the cold tap for a few seconds - if you leave them boiling hot then they continue to cook while they're sitting on the table. Cool them down a wee bit and this slows down a lot!

(Spot the chalet host! Embarassed )
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Is this really an appropriate thread for 'The Piste'

You are ach!lles and I claim my £5 Smile
ski holidays
Eggs make me sick! NehNeh
snow conditions
Quote:

The trick is to run the freshly-boiled eggs under the cold tap for a few seconds - if you leave them boiling hot then they continue to cook while they're sitting on the table. Cool them down a wee bit and this slows down a lot!

It also releases the membrane making it easier to peel!
snow conditions
I read that as 'It also releases the membrane making it easier to pee!' Shocked
snow report
anarchicsaltire, Laughing
snow report
limegreen1, FFS there is a University degree in egg boiling now and you ask on a snow holiday forum rolling eyes
snow report
If you are staying in a hotel it is very important that you take with you a marker pen. Some fooker will always try to nick your nicely boiled egg from the bain marie machine thing so I would advise you always write your name and some insulting message on it to deter potential egg thieves
snow conditions
Dipping buttered toast in boiled runny eggyweg is mega Cool
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
limegreen1, FFS there is a University degree in egg boiling now and you ask on a snow holiday forum rolling eyes

forget helmet wearing debates, and is boarding better than skiing etc etc..... this is where the snow holiday is at. The best place to ski is the place your at, the snow only goes from a little to a lot, soft to hard , from smooth to bumpy and the mountains go from rolling to steep the weather freezing to hot, cloudy to sunny, windy to still, and you just have to get on with it and do your thing with it... However,get your boiled egg right and everyday is a blue sky day.
Keep abreast with the thread as we need to iron out wether you should toast your soldiers ...
snow conditions
def. toasted soldiers with butter and a small amount of salt on your egg ...
ski holidays
What a random thread. Of all the things I've ever done or wanted to do in a ski resort, boiling an egg is not one of them.

Are we running out of sensible things to discuss? Laughing
ski holidays
The time taken to boil the egg is academic as snowHead ’s have more important thing to concern themselves with. Simply inform one’s personal staff of the nature / viscosity of egg you require and it will materialise, in the same manner as your fresh daily pair of ironed ski socks.

On a related point:

I have seen some people mutilating their boiled eggs, when removing the top, by smashing the top section of shell prior to removal, then often by simply hacking it open.

Of course the correct method is to lightly tap the side of the egg (with a tea spoon – you knife wielding maniacs) around a quarter of the way down until a thin line appears, then gently remove the top segment. This segment, after being scooped from it’s shell, being the first to be placed gently onto your thick (brown) toasted soldiers.

Obviously this post is aimed at lurkers from TGR, as I’m confident that no snowHead would be so crass as to use a knife to remove the top of the egg.
latest report
I've never understood why anyone would bother boiling an egg when poaching an egg is just as easy, takes loads less time and is far more satisfying to eat.

Boiled eggs are just rubbish.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
What a random thread. Of all the things I've ever done or wanted to do in a ski resort, boiling an egg is not one of them.

Are we running out of sensible things to discuss? Laughing

It's what happens when snowHead s have been away from snow for too long.
It's a little colder today & I've awoken from summer hibernation, I'll waste some more time on here to make the ski season nearer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is an App on the iPhone for the perfect boiled egg - takes size, altitude, from the fridge/not from the fridge, etc into account Very Happy . Works every time!!! And cockadoodledoos when your egg is ready!
latest report
The only good thing about eggs; you get more room in early morning lift queue.

Stick with toast.
latest report
It also depends on how fresh the egg is from the hen. In fact eggs that a few days old boil more successfully than those which hit the water within minutes of being free from the hen. However, this may not be a problem unless you have managed to Smuggle Hilda the hen through customs.
latest report
Right. I'm off to make a boiled egg and soldiers - I can't resist.
I shall be pre-boiling the water and popping the egg in for 4.5 minutes (900 meters)...
latest report
Perfectly done in Durham at 3.5 minutes (85m above sea level).
ski holidays
Scrambled this morning with grilled bacon tomatoes and mushrooms!
ski holidays
I shall test my egg boiling at 1485m in a couple of weeks.
latest report
Egg raving mad, the lot of ya.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Some fooker will always try to nick your nicely boiled egg from the bain marie machine thing

I have seen people almost come to blows about egg-nicking Shocked . (They were German though - am I allowed to say this? Little Angel )
snow conditions
maggi wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Some fooker will always try to nick your nicely boiled egg from the bain marie machine thing

I have seen people almost come to blows about egg-nicking Shocked . (They were German though - am I allowed to say this? Little Angel )

I did once 'nick' someone else's eggs from the 'bain marie machine thing' as I hadn't come across one before and didn't have any idea what the system/rules were (presumed all the eggs were hard boiled). I realized my error on a) finding the eggs were half cooked and b)being confronted by an irate French lady! Embarassed I explained and apologized profusely, but we were still treated to resentful stares for the rest of the meal Skullie
latest report
Iski, yes, I didn't know about "egg etiquette" either. (Luckily I don't eat them or I might have got into trouble). It should definitely be mentioned in the "I'm going skiing for the first time, what do I need to know?" threads! Laughing
ski holidays
Write in Chinese on the egg and they might think it old! rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy