Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Samoens - in general but also Feb 1/2 Term

Poster: A snowHead
Am I the only one with this mental image of the Matt/Alastair road trip?;

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We usually drive right through from friday night to get there and then sort any sleeping / skiing out on sat morning.

Use a local map to get off motorway before Cluses as this can be a big que at the peage on saturdays as it's also on the way to Chamonix. (I'll post more specific route if you need it)

We've only used ESF for young and older kids mainly at Morillon with good results and no complaints, but always in March after half term.

Like the area alot, there's usually good skiing to get both learners and more advanced having a good time. Quite good area in Sam / Mor / les Carr without even reaching Flaine and some new high capacity chairs at what were sticking points.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can see that Cluses is pretty close to Samoens, where would you come off? Your route would be really useful, hopefully no low bridges, don;t want to do a James Bond in Live and Let Die!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Close! but our bus in not in that good a condition!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski3, would like to see your "before Cluses" way of getting to Samoens. Can you post it or create a link?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
chrisb, Jct 17 IIRC..... new junction on A40 opened last (2009) Autumn...(there's a really nice new Carrefour near the exit) takes you parallel to the Autoroute for a bit, then Marignier and then cuts you in at the hairpin between Cluses and Chatillon... thus avoiding Cluses or............... Jct 15 (possibly the wrong number but it's the 1st exit after the Tolls turn left at next roundabout turn right and that eventually brings you into Taninges (this route is also known as the Vallee Verte)

The 1st is the route all of the transfer companies tend to use both ways and the 2nd is the back up option if the queue for the tolls are really bad going back to GVA!!

(hello btw chrisb )
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marcellus, Thanks, will have this for Feb. Are you out in France for the season, or working in UK?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Apologies for the delay Chrisb, Marcellus has already provided the info for you thanks.

We leave at jnct 15 as it usually avoids the Q to next toll which can be quite long and go up the slip then turn left to cross over the Mway and look for the sign to Fillinges about 1/2k up the hill then route as marcellus says.

We use map "Michelin Local 328" to work round this route, it's really clear your choices if you get this to back anything up.

Taninges is a good heading when looking at local signage.

I think you'll have a good time as it's a really lovely area to stay in.

We have stayed at Morillon 1100 mostly but also various others in the same valley. Where are you when there Marcellus?

The green down to Morillon 1100 in good snow is sublimely good for people learning and just brilliant for anyone else wanting a nice cruise.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski3 wrote:
Where are you when there Marcellus?

I lived in Les COntamines for a year, Les Carroz for two and then Morillon for a year....... now; where ever I can find/need a bed!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marcellus, ski3, thanks for the links. Got to ski in Northumberland at Allenheads last week with 80cm. France needs to do some catching up. I expect driving will be quite an adventure next Feb
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marcellus, ski3, Links work great. The car has winter tyres and has coped well with all the white stuff in England.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mad Mattski- could you confirm whetger you have winter tyres. Grandma has offered to pay for some if you don't. One of the advantages of the dementia is that she is happy to pay for everything and then just forgets the credit card bill!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All,
Been watching this thread and all the others relating to Samoens for some time...

We too (4 including girls aged 14 and 11) will be in the mix for this coming half term - staying in Neige et Roc and having ESF ski lessons (were a bit slow off the mark for any other ski-school so fingers crossed that there will be enough Brits to avoid feeling like a lower form of life).

We're leaving the South Coast at 2pm and staying overnight in Dole (hopefully we will get there in time to get some sleep before we have to vacate!).

Watching the various weather threads and forecasts - can't decide whether extra thermals or waterproofs are required Confused - still we will have a good time whatever the weather.

Good Luck to all for the journey, the weather and the queues.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Opening an old wound...

Just booked Etoiles in samoens for feb 16 half term, lucky its a sunday to sunday so a gentle drive down to reimes for saturday night then onto samoens to arrive 1700.
Any tips on supermarkets or should we stock up in reimes?
In fact any tips at all gratefully received.
ski holidays
There is a Carrefour in Samoens, on the north side of the river as you enter from Tanninges. But it's probably closed Sunday afternoon.

If you take the road south of the river (through Morrillon) you'll miss it.
snow conditions
Great, thanks
ski holidays
@harrim51, the majority of big out of town supermarkets will be closed on Sunday - the big Migros next to the motorway at Annemasse, which might otherwise be convenient, is completely shut on Sundays.
ski holidays
@harrim51, The large supermarket in Reims (E. Leclerc) is also shut on Sundays. I expect the little Sherpa in Samoens would be open on Sunday. Then on Monday you could drive to the Carrefour just out of Samoens for the rest of your shop.
ski holidays
Do what @snowymum, says. the Sherpa is well stocked (adjacent to cinema) then do the big shop on moday.
latest report
Thanks that's very useful. I think we can just bring basics from home for Sunday meal and breakfast and pop to the Carrefour Monday.
I must say it's strange how use to shops open on Sunday, I have forgotten how everything closed as a kid, except the off-licence at lunch time for a couple of hours!
snow report
Super U in Taninges is open Sundays during the season, although maybe not long hours; check their website nearer the time. Sherpa is open all day every day in high season
ski holidays
Thanks dj.
Having traveled Saturday morning down to Devon, I was so glad I was on my motorcycle cos it was like half term skiing on the M5, three lanes of mostly stationary traffic!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy