Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow 2010/11 - latest webcams post 1

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
perhaps the best Scottish Ski film ever made?

http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/video/

real nice locations..

I'm skiing for two guys who are making a ski film this season, hopefully the snow in the BC will be decent enough for some great shots Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
perhaps the best Scottish Ski film ever made?

http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/video/

real nice locations..

I'm skiing in Scotland for two guys who are making a ski film this season, hopefully the snow in the BC will be decent enough for some great shots Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
milnerhome, there's some tree skiing stuff in the Touring reports bit of Winterhighland, probably worth a look.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scotia wrote:
milnerhome, there's some tree skiing stuff in the Touring reports bit of Winterhighland, probably worth a look.

will have a look, thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
milnerhome, there's one there from a couple of days ago from meall a buachaille that i mentioned previously - would fit the bill perfectly i reckon for some tree shots
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.winterhighland.info/pix/displayimage.php?photo_id=16662

from the touring report.

Looks like I've hit the jack pot! Has anyone done this tour and knows how long it takes to trek from Glenmore outdoor centre to this skiing area?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
it takes about an hour and a half to hike up from the road, then about an hour to hike back up the hill from the bottom.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alisim wrote:
it takes about an hour and a half to hike up from the road, then about an hour to hike back up the hill from the bottom.

not to bad then, is that with skins or just hiking?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
milnerhome, when are you free for a yad moss day? I can do next Friday 17th if you like?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was on snow shoes, most of the rest of the group were on skins, and I definitely held most of them up. I think if you're pretty fit then you might be able to shave ten or fifteen minutes off both times.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CGM yesterday was fantastic. Nearly all of the mountain is covered in either squeaky snow (pisted runs) or powder snow off piste. There are one or two patches of ice but they're few and far between.

East Wall of Lady is fairly well tracked but if you ride down the M2 until it starts to steepen and then drop into the wall there is loads of untracked virgin snow taking you down to the Home Road. Watch out for the occasional top quarter of an inch of exposed fence post.

A grand day out!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
milnerhome, when are you free for a yad moss day? I can do next Friday 17th if you like?

final day of college, I don't think I'll be "fit" to be on a pair of skis Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
milnerhome, I thought your only 17, I never drank underage, very naughty!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
milnerhome, I thought your only 17, I never drank underage I was very boring!!!

Wink Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone heading up on Saturday?
Where do you think is the best bet?
snow report
1873Chris, Glencoe opens on Saturday. Cool That's where I'm going. Very Happy
ski holidays
Glencoe won't be open this weekend Sad the thaw has hurt them

Anyone know how Nevis is coping with the thaw?
ski holidays
Little bare bits showing from the Cairngorm base station camera

Haste ye back cold!
snow report
That's a shame for me & Glencoe but Saturday was always looking to be a bit dreich anyway. On the positive side, I've done 4 days of sliding in Scotland so far this season anyway and all of them without wind & rain so it's good not to have to break that pattern. Cool

Nevis will be catching the mild & dank from the west too but if the sun breaks through ready for Sunday, looking at the cams, maybe a cheeky little outing to Glenshee ?

http://www.webcam-ski.com/webcams/interfaces/glenshee/interface.php?pk_interface=278&m=images&r=panoramique#depart

With the grass showing again in the towns & cities, the resorts won't be quite so mobbed.
ski holidays
Anyone heading up tomorrow?
I'm thinking about it but not sure yet, myt just hold off for next weekend
ski holidays
In Inverness airport now ...

Decent weekend warmer yesterday but still loads of snow. Today pretty boilerplate with a skiff of fresh on top, left at midday and more snow was falling - should be heaps more later in the week but we have a fantastic (unbelievably good in many ways) base now! Very Happy

Anyone heading up for Xmas and/or New Year is likely to have fantastic conditions if the overheads play ball - all looking good (in fact a better bet than some of the Alps I'd say!) snowHead snowHead
latest report
Glenshee today was my 5th day on planks in the Scottish mountains for season 2010/2011 & it's not even mid-December. Very Happy

We had a brilliant day with quite literally not a moment's queuing all day long. The rattly, icy stuff had me in all sorts of trouble for the first 1/2 hour though until I swapped skis from the tourers to my Recons & then it felt brilliant. What do they say about bad workmen ? Toofy Grin

Report & photos at the WH link below. My vote for the snow condition was probably a wee bit generous but for 12th December, who could complain ...

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,2423

snow conditions
Great sunset!
snow conditions
nozawaonsen, that sunset seemed to go on for ages, it was a real privelege being there. There's nothing in the world quite like that rich, golden, midwinter light that you get on snow at sundown. Cool
latest report
moffatross, how long/far is it to glenshee from your place? What about the other scottish resorts?
snow conditions
moffatross, great pics thanks for posting them Very Happy
snow report
Lovely moffatross. Just needed a skier in that last pic.
ski holidays
Particularly from Glas Maol due to the orientation of surrounding hills and glens there can be some truly epic sunsets, bordering on surreal almost in the second half of December with the right atmospherics. The sun sets slowly, then from certain locations at the right dates, re-rises again shortly after as the light starts to fade then slowly slides down a distant ridge to end up in a valley.

You get the sense from high on Glas Maol that your looking down on the Sun and even though you can see it setting you can feel darkness creeping in, certain inversion situations can magnify the effect due to refraction and I recall once still seeing the setting sun, while also seeing the Northern Sky start to blacken. Sadly before the dawn of consumer digital photography so had no camera. But if your at Glenshee over the next couple of weeks, worth getting out to Glas Maol and catching the very last lift up if it's clear for the sunset.

What I do recall most was how fast the light went after the sun went from view, which made me think there was something a bit odd going on with refraction or something. You could see the light vanishing going up Coire Fionn, and rode Tom Dearg under starlight to drop back down Sunnyside as the moon rose. It was a just epic end to the day.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cairngorm today was awesome. Turned up at 10 (didn't want to tempt fate with ice) and was greeted with perfect weather, no wind, no rain/snow & best of all nobody bothered their back bottom to get up there. All lifts ski-on all day. Cool Cool Cool Cool

Top-middle coverage is still faultless and middle-bottom has a couple heathery patches but the only harm they'll do is to clean your skis Toofy Grin Only properly dubious run was the daylodge but still passable with care.

Was right to wait on arriving as the whole cas side was pretty icy all day, white lady surprisingly good skiing however and the ciste gully and bowl were in awesome nick. People were traversing waaay high from the gully but I don't understand why, the short pole across from the boardwalk was easy and the extra run was well worth it.

I'm excited to see what Wednesday & Thursday brings Smile

snow report
^ hey great picture, yeah the base is awesome already and next week will be amazing after the big dumps to come - with temps really cold and loads of fresh powder it'll be awesome, just hope the road can be cleared!
latest report
That was the highest the sun rose all day! It's surreal at this time of year, through my orange goggles it was an amazing sunset from about 2pm onwards Very Happy
snow conditions
has there been an avvy the whole width of the coronation/cas wall?? Shocked
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder, a little under 3 hours from Moffat. Worth every minute though. Smile

roga, l hope your trip North goes well. We should be well prepared by then for any new snow, what with a new minister to challenge the might of God and all.

Mike Pow, part of the joy on Sunday was how few skiers there were on the mountain. I wouldn't want to spoil that memory with PhotoShop. Little Angel

andytb, Cairngorm sounded perfect, all areas go & no queues. By the looks of it, it won't be long before all those snow fences are buried.

barry, couldn't that be just cornicing ?
ski holidays
moffatross, ya probably just a wind-lip/cornice (some avvy crown wall that would be! Shocked Laughing )
snow conditions
looks like rain on the Lecht webcams, presumably to be covered by snow in the next 48 hours!!
ski holidays
Any hope of getting to Cairngorm on Saturday or Sunday?
latest report
The weather forecasts are a total crapshoot just now. Just need to wait and see, I'm itching to get up again.

MWIS for Sunday ( http://www.mwis.org.uk/mountain/EH.PDF ) is looking positive, good weather with occasional snow showers.
ski holidays
I know this is a major long shot but don'r suppose anyone is heading up tomorow to any resort from the Glasgow area that would like to share petrol costs?

I'm in dumbarton and my car ain't an option Sad
latest report
Right, exams are over so I'm back in the game! Where's the snow? Cairngorm and Glenshee still the best options?
ski holidays
1873Chris, If your up for petrol share in jan, feb, march give me a bell. I'm in glasgow west end but know D'ton very well. I come from Balloch Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy