Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scottish Snow 2010/11 - latest webcams post 1

Poster: A snowHead
Coldest overnight September temperatures in some parts of Scotland for nearly 30 years, at -4c.

Pics of snow here.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aviemore primary school shut due to frozen/burst pipes today, kids were loving it Laughing

freezing fog about first thing, -3 on car dial (moving)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good stuff but it looks like it's gonna warm up a bit through the week.

Let's hope this brief cold snap is a portent of things to come though snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nevis Range wrote:
All change this winter at Nevis

Equipment Hire is getting a total revamp. The capacity of the building is being doubled which will make it more efficient and cut queuing times. There will be more equipment, new skis and boots. A computerised till will save your details so if you hire again we will have all the information.

The Snowsports School Office will move in with equipment hire . . . .

The Alpha Traverse fence line has been changed to let people get off the lift 20m further up the hill and should make the traverse across to the Goose less of an ordeal for snowboarders.

Braveheart chair, as many of you know, has operated at half capacity in recent years – work has been done to improve this.

Warren’s run has a new fence and takes a slightly straighter line to make it easier to groom.

Season ticket instalments – we introduced payment by instalments for tickets bought before the end of August. This was popular so we will probably do it earlier next year.

The Pinemarten Coffee Shop shop is being rebuilt in a different position with a view up the hill. A temporary café will serve hot drinks, bacon rolls and baking over the winter, but not during the shutdown.

All good news as far as I'm concerned. The Alpha traverse was fine I just wish they had sorted the up track instead.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 7-10-10 15:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Braveheart chair, as many of you know, has operated at half capacity in recent years – work has been done to improve this.

Is that based on running it 50% of the time Wink

If they could (conditions permitting) state it would run every possible day it would be a huge step forward IMHO....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scotland due to get 5cm of freshies on Tues.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitegold, i was getting excited then until i realised that the link was to that crap newspaper!!! snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ricklovesthepowder, look at snowforecast or mwis.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From mwis

Headline, The West Highlands Monday

Upland gales; periods of frequent showers; blizzards higher tops Happy

Tuesday
How Wet?

Snow flurries, mainly north

Brief hail and snow showers west of Loch Linnhe; only a few flurries elsewhere, and isolated if any south of Glencoe.

Wednesday Ohhh Yessssss

How Wet?

Snow for a few hours

Snow showers will, especially on western hills, become very frequent in the afternoon, and may will merge around 3 hours of persistent snowfall, giving blizzards.

Cairngorm for tuesday
How Wet?

Snow showers, most widely north

Fairly frequent but often brief hail and snow showers north from the Cairngorms. Elsewhere, the showers often only flurries.

Wednesday

How Wet?

Snow showers becoming frequent

Snow showers, most widely toward north, especially Lecht. Far fewer showers elsewhere. But showers may in afternoon become very frequent, with threat of intermittent snow for 2 or 3 hours.

Yikes,,,,,, Getting itchy feet now
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
glasgowcyclops wrote:
Yikes,,,,,, Getting itchy feet now

Me too Bob.

If what happened late October 2 years ago is anything to go by, there's a reasonable chance that Lecht will spin some of its lifts next weekend but if not, there'll be some opportunities to hike for turns. Some of the computer weather models (both ECM & Met Office) are indicating that this won't just be a short early winter shot either and keep the cold unsettled theme running for the duration of their outlook. Toofy Grin

And thanks for the cuppa the other day !!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Guys, surely snow showers, even mingling for 2 or 3 hours as forecast is not going to put down enough depth is it??
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, I understand that the Lecht, without the rocky base of Scotland's other ski centres doesn't take much to get going & as we know, in the lean years of the bad old days wink they got open for slush, mud and grass sliding anyway. There'll be several periods of heavy snow showers for N. Sea facing mountains too before the weekend so it's quite possible that 12 inches of snow could get laid down on Lecht's grassy slopes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
soon as it's cold enough and there's snow in the air, the lecht will be firing up their cannons to give things a helping hand too
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross, No problem for the tea. Are the Skis okay? barry, I was wondering if the Leicht had cannons. Good news and only 1 hour from my mother in law's. And I'm off there in 2 weeks time. Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm up for it.

Please keep us informed.
ski holidays
I'll be in Aviemore for the end of the month so fingers crossed for an icy blast!
snow conditions
Dusting of snow today in the Ptarmigan bowl at Cairngorm:

This must be the third or fourth since late August there's been a fall but this time it might last a bit longer! Certainly snow-forecast.com is forecasting snow and cold temperatures for the rest of the week and into the weekend, MWIS is suggesting the same snowHead
ski holidays
roga, Now that is getting me excited. I'm up in Burghead in 2 weeks time. Keep the pic'ies coming Happy
snow conditions
I see whitestuf on the active Glencoe webcam http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
ski holidays
can see a healthy dusting on the cairngorms massif from ma windae (probably the best home-office in the world? Toofy Grin)

cloud cover still below the tops but starting to clear, might get a very pleasant view when it does so
snow report
^ yup and just to illustrate the point here's the view from the base station:

Looks like there's been a bit of drifting too and I'd guess more snow further up.
snow report
i've been down the gunbarrel on worse than that!
latest report
barry, Very Happy

I wish they would move that white thing, I always think its a lump of snow.
latest report
snow flurries coming through Aviemore right now Cool
snow report
barry, Very Happy
latest report
Some chunky showers over the Northern 'Gorms just now on the radar, shower activity is pepping up. Sea temperatures haven't really started to cool down yet, so big convection potential as the colder air aloft pushes south.
ski holidays
keep an eye on post 1 in this topic, a sample of all webcams on there.....
snow conditions
Winterhighland
Quote:

Some chunky showers over the Northern 'Gorms just now on the radar
Where can we find the radar??.....Or have you got your own wink ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict, try http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

i dont need the radar , can see the snow from the top of the hill behind our house (when it was still daylight that is)
ski holidays
kitenski, the Access Chair camera is now http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/access2200.jpeg (e in .jpeg!)

The original access camera is now at the bottom of the chairlift at carpark level. Now 5 more Glencoe Webcam views are now available at www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe .

...and the first sight of snow on one of the new images:

-4c at the Summit of Meall a' Bhuiridh as I type and below -5c at the Summit of CairnGorm Mountain.
latest report
Have a look at Post 1 in the thread. Especially the Lecht webcam Happy
latest report
It's snowing in Aberdeen!
snow report
I know I said it 1 hour ago while chacking snowHead on the train, but you seriously nbeed to go to the leckt website and click on live panorama or the live webcams. http://www.lecht.co.uk/

It is Sooooo good and they have cannons to top it up Happy AND I'm going near there a week on saturday.
latest report
Quote:

It's snowing in Aberdeen!

It was - a mini blizzard when i drove in this morning, but its now beautiful and sunny and has warmed up significantly (its a toasty 3C outside at the moment (1045am).
snow conditions
Here are a few images from today showing well the amount if snow that's fallen since yesterday.

Looking up the mountain from the Day Lodge (a dusting of snow can be seen right down to the lodge):

A snowy Ptarmigan bowl:

View of the mountains from Loch Morlich:

Snow at The Lecht looking like it may have got the bigger dump (maybe it'd be an idea to turn on the cannons!):

There's more snow forecast over the next few days with the omnly warmer spell on friday when some rain might fall (7mm according to snow-forecast.com) but with 11cm of snow forecast before then and 8cm after Friday morning the damage hopefully won't be too big. So far it seems set to be staying cold into the beginning of next week. snowHead
latest report
If Glencoe is getting in snow what we are getting in rain down here there will be more than 11cm of snow tonight Very Happy
ski holidays
Looks like some rain has blitzed glenshee a bit but the Lecht is looking thicker.
www.lecht.co.uk

Glencoe seems wet but holding out.

Cant see a thing at Nevis or Cairngorm
ski holidays
glasgowcyclops, Glenshee looks like it rained lower but they got a lot of snow higher up!
snow report
Glenshee panoramic webcam.

Nevis Range panoramic webcam.
ski holidays
Anyone noticed there's been a change in the forcasts and the wet rainy period on Friday seems to have gone away?

Instead we appear (at least according to snow-forecast.com) to be in for sustained snow over the next two and a half days with 39cm of fresh predicted Shocked snowHead snowHead

Warming up Monday into Tuesday though with a bit of rain then ... let's hope that changes too!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy