Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Ski Club's mission and objectives: right or wrong?

deleted
deleted
[This thread has been split from another looking at "Who remains a member of the Club?"]

The skiclub is no more or less than its members. I have had great days skiing with reps or on skiclub holidays, and some days which were less than great. It can seem to ooze a certain middle-class complacency and the magazine seems to have a bit more advertorial each time I pick it up.

However its insurance is pretty cheap for skiiers who go to North America. Its discounts are useful, perhaps more often for things like ferries or fat face clothes rather than skigear, after all in these internet days only a fool pays retail, and negotiation or looking around will usually get bigger discounts (although I do have lots of half-price slush and rubble luggage thanks to the club).

The "goodies" are a bit of a joke. Being handed a free first aid kit at the end of a £900 per person skiclub holiday seems a little redundant. I would rather have a free drink.

Yet the idea of the club as a kind of community of skiers is appealing, and not so very different from the community SnowHeads are building here. The amateurism may be half the appeal. Either it is worth you being a skiclub member, or it isnt. Its as simple as that. I am not sure that getting worried about reaching a particular demographic, or being representative of all skiiers and boarders is important, unless the club really is going under financially. God knows arent we all sick at this election time of people trying to be all things to everyone.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
John Rivett wrote:
I am not sure that getting worried about reaching a particular demographic, or being representative of all skiiers and boarders is important.

In essence, though, our Club has self-defined the mission (in formal terms, as a mission statement) to be the "spokesbody of British skiers".
That seems a sensible objective, but it's only realistic if the Club is representative of all British skiers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith wrote:
..In essence, though, our Club has self-defined the mission (in formal terms, as a mission statement) to be the "spokesbody of British skiers".....

Oh no it doesn't (we can do pantomime snowHead ). It doesn't say so here or (accessible to members, but best have broadband) here. It may have done so once, David. And you may wish it still did. But it doesn't now, AFIK. It does aim to encourage organise and other good things - but it doesn't aim or claim these days to be the spokesbody of Brisitish skiers. Nor should it, IMHO. Might make a few snowheads cross wink
See you May 20?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Main Aims according to the web site are ....
Quote:
When the Club started, over 100 years ago, its purpose was the same as today:

to share ski information
to encourage people to ski
to have a great time skiing together in the mountains

Either of Nick's links work for non-members. Closing the open forum must have really helped the first objective wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
According to certain people the last one is sometimes difficult due to the problems of actually finding the rep in the resort (not a problem in Wengen)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick, the Ski Club's 'Mission Statement, Main Policy and Objectives' were set out as recently as 1995. I quote, in full, from the 1995 Annual Report:
Quote:
Mission Statement
To promote safe, enjoyable, recreational skiing to skiers of all standards. This will be done by providing members with a wide range of high quality services in the UK and Overseas.

The Club will also safeguard and enhance its position as the independent spokesbody for British recreational skiers.

Main Policy and Objectives
1) Club Profile. It is important that the Club's profile in the skiing world continues to be raised. It must be seen as an authoritative broad-based independent organisation central to the requirements of all standards of British recreational skiers.
2) Membership. Resources will be directed to retaining and increasing the number of members so that we can improve and expand services to members and offer better value for money.

Now, if that's the remotest bit controversial, please say so! Which part of the mission has been abandoned, to your knowledge? I'm not aware that any change has take place.
My understanding is that the BBC and all other national media treat the Ski Club as a representative spokesbody (sic) of British recreational skiers. Our Club therefore needs to maintain a high and representative membership.
Is that wildly controversial?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Goldsmith, that was 10 years ago. I've certainly seen the first part of the statement pretty much reflected in current club documentation. But not the "spokesbody" bit. So, I guess it was abandoned as part of the clubs "mission" (dreadful jargon, that, isn't it?) since 1995. I think the club is the larest body of British recreational skiers, so it's not surprisng that the media turns to it for comment. But that is not the same thing as saying it is the skiers "spokesbody" . That would imply that the club has a mandate to represent the skiers in, say, the Crystal charter jet. Obviously it hasn't, so I think the club did the right thing dropping that aim.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy