Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 10/11

Poster: A snowHead
Forecast more than three days out have about a 50% chance of being correct I believe.

From the sounds of it, conditions are pretty crap everywhere, not just Austria.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all, all a bit new to this so apologises if the context is not spot on.... we live in Mühlbach am Hochköng just a short hop and skip from Salzburg, so I though a quick weather update on conditions this morning (11.02) might be of interest ... all in all conditions on the slopes are good, we skied our local slopes yesterday and those up at Arthurhaus (which has no cannons) and the pistes are firm in the morning and softer in the afternoon, so if you want to work on your turns and get started at a decent time, then you will have a great week of skiing. Today appears to signal a change in the weather paten which has dominated this part of the alps for the past 12 days or so and it looks like we have snow on the way for the middle of next week. Please see our blog at www.hauswasserbauer.com, for a daily update on conditions and our thoughts about life in the apls in general! wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ski in the skiamade region, and it is certainly not crap at the moment wink The slopes on the right of the picture have no lifts and are green, but the ones on the left are all well covered and valley descents are very very skiable!!

Had a fantastic days skiing, pistes were hard packed and yes the off piste is pretty sparse, but also fairly empty as you can see,the photo above was taken at about lunchtime, even managed to take the snowbikes out for an early evening descent, brilliant fun
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haus Wasserbauer,

welcome - your link doesn't work for me BTW
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or for me. Haus Wasserbauer, are you the new owners? Have Debs and Nigel returned back to the UK?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, yes they have!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try this link

www.austrianfamilyholidays.co.uk
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mattmulkeen wrote:
Haus Wasserbauer,

welcome - your link doesn't work for me BTW

Mattmulkeen - Thanks for the welcome and apologies www.hauswasserbauer.com should hopefully be ok !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Amazing (for me - i am sure not for those who live there) that the snow in the valley down to 700m has stuck around in these high temps.

http://www.bergfex.com/scheffau/#/ellmau/webcams/c2309/

Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mattmulkeen, it's a good point and one I'd suggest a possible explanation along the lines below...

Snow on the flat valley bottom can often stay around much longer than on the sides of the valley (especially south facing). If you imagine the sun coming in at an angle onto the side of a valley then it is spread less widely so the energy is concentrated (for the sake of argument imagine the sun coming in at 45 degress and hitting an equivalent slope). Sun coming in at an angle on a flat valley is spread more widely, the angle is spread and the energy (and warmth) is too. So less warming.

With a diagram this would make a lot more sense... Anyway I think it's right. wink

Think also of the way vines are often grown on slopes. To maximise the amount of sunlight.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, we are the new owners of Haus Wasserbauer and we are loving it ! We are keen to build a network of friends so if you´re in the Mülhbach area pop in and see us for a cup of coffee or a ski !
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haus Wasserbauer, I/we are very keen to visit your area. A big fan of the ski Amade, but have never visited your sector.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.bergfex.com/tirol/wetter/schneevorhersage/?t=0_96

I suppose that looks fairly good...just not a fan of this whole "rain" thing that's going on at the moment.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Haus Wasserbauer, I/we are very keen to visit your area. A big fan of the ski Amade, but have never visited your sector.

Frosty - we would love to see you here, the HKR is great ! very few people (most of the time), decent skiing and sensible prices. Let us know when you are planning to make a trip and we will do our best to help you out with info etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Muhlbach - Rain yesterday, snow up top, some small flakes falling in the village at the moment (but there are very small) forecast is looking good for later in the week. Temp at the Haus is -0.5c at the moment with low cloud. Hopefully off for a ski this afternoon so will update in more detail then.
ski holidays
kooky, oooh, first person I've come across on here that uses Snowbikes. We started using them 4 years ago when our knees gave up! Love them, best of all, they love soft snow, the softer the better! We always hire at the moment so limited to resorts that have a hire centres, but think we are going to buy them at the end of this season, when the prices drop. Then we have the whole of Austria to go at!
latest report
SCHNEE!!!! Salzburg is being snowed on today!... just what we need pre-half-term!
Laying off a bit in the valleys but still going on up top.

Sent the wife out today with mates.. gambling that more schnee is on its way today and overnight.... = pow day for me tomorrow!

Haus Wasserbauer, careful of Frosty the Snowman... he has this awful habit of making the beer fridge empty!.... and leaves me singing 'when.... will I see you again... daaaa-da-da-da-da-da-da-da...'
ski holidays
Haus Wasserbauer, Hi and thanks for the reports! we stayed with Nigel and Deb a couple of years ago, I didn't know they had returned to the uk, good luck with your new venture, its a lovely house and a beautiful ski area, we really enjoyed it there snowHead
ski holidays
I know I slated it before, but http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Soll/6day/top

Would I be forgiven for saying we might be going into another cold snap for half term week?
snow report
TheDelaney, bit too early to say. The weather wigglies have been back and forth like a tennis ball recently. But conditions have held up well during the warm spell and there's a bit of snow falling right now in parts of Austria. Keep the faith!
snow report
The webcams are looking decent in Soll as well, im just keeping my fingers crossed Smile
ski holidays
Obertauern is looking good too, and more snow forecast for later in the week.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, Samerberg Sue &all
Newbie off to Kitzbuhel 26th. Just hope it will snow in buckets for a week an then sunshine with showers of white ...
With one son(16) being an exerienced skier, wife with sun and horizons and blue slopes in her head. Elder son who knows what...
We will rent a car in Munchen to have a little look around. Is it worth to visit Kaprun/Gletchen for the views? Is it so that I can bring wife anywhere and it will be a blue alternative down again? I can find Jochberg on the map, but Pass Thurn I havnt lokated on the allstarcardmap.

BR
Jan
snow report
forecast has changed again now for weds-fri, starting to realise now how difficult it is to predict what will happen in the alps. Praying for snow!
snow report
Had some light snow in SkiWelt this morning, clearing up this afternoon. Hoping for a more substantial snowfall!! Still a little on the warm side though.
ski holidays
Diverjan, sorry can't help you as I'm going to be in South Africa as off Friday of this week!

Not sure when you are coming into Munich but might be worth asking about avoiding the traffic in and around Munich itself. The last couple of weekends has been pretty bad in the middle of the day and yesterday the A8/A93 was still stop/go in the direction of the mountains at 17.00.

Pass Thurn is marked on the All-Star map as being towards the top left corner above Jochberg. On a Google map it is the highest point on the road between Kitzbühel and Mittersil.

As for going to Kaprun just for the views - I would not bother to be honest. If you want to go anywhere for that, then drop down to Zell am See and take your wife up to the Schmittenhöhe - nice views and good skiing for you wink If the views aren'T so good because of the weather ZamS is the nicer town with more to offer a non-skier, but make sure she does not have access to your credit cards wink

TheDelaney, finally the penny has dropped! Laughing wink
snow report
I skied Mayrhofen this weekend.

Slopes were generally fair (but not good) condition, with lots of artificial snow, the most popular slopes hard-packed snow, and some gouged out sections on some slopes that cannot be repaired by grooming.

Was quite busy, I waited five minutes for some Horberg lifts, but quieter towards Eggalm.

Zero off-piste skiing possible, it is all crud.

Was a light dusting of snow on Sunday but not enough to improve skiing conditions.
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue,
We will arrive the Saturday 26th at 16:00 so we might end up getting stucked on roads. However on Google maps the mainroads show as E45/E52 so not shure if those are the ones you reffer to?
Would Erding/Rosenheim on smaller roads be better? I will bring my gps so should be able to plot different routes.
Please PM if you have some tips that you dont want to share in public.

South Africa, going Fishing? Marlin??

BR
Jan
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Diverjan, The back roads via Erding and Rosenheim are a good choice IF the E45/52 (A9/A99/A8 and then A93) are slow moving then your sat nav should show it. The last part from Rosenheim to Kufstein can also be very slow going later in the day. If you drive through the villages on the east side of the river Inn you can avoid most of the troubles.

I think by the time you get through everything and on the road you will be riding the tail end of the major traffic to be honest.

I'm going paragliding all round South Africa for 3 weeks! hen back to finish the ski season

Toofy Grin
snow report
nomis, arriving 19th feb, glad to hear it's holding up generally. Most reports from Zillertal seem quite encouraging. And if 5 minutes is the max wait for a lift I'll be more than happy
ski holidays
heidiky, heard they did night skiing in Soll, is this every day or...? Never rode at night so quite keen to try it out Very Happy

Also, how difficult is it to get back down to Soll from the slopes? Is it well signposted or is it best to prepare a route before going out? Bit concerned about being left up on the slope completely clue less as to where the town is :')
snow report
Just got back from a week in Obergurgl - snow conditions were very good, particularly in Hochgurgl. Flattering to my skiing, anyway!
ski holidays
TheDelaney, now that's the million dollar question...SkiWelt...map...getting from A - B...??? Sad Puzzled Solution - use a sat nav! wink (P.S. for night skiing there is an extra charge on the lift pass)
latest report
sharon1953, i'd also heard that it was extra for night skiing in Soll. Any idea on how much extra it is? Thanks!
snow conditions
TheDelaney, powellshire, I think it is 20 euro but check the Söll web site for sure. It is only certain nights of the week not every day. I'm in work at the moment and do not have access to my piste maps.

sharon1953, while the maps can be confusing until you realise that the pistes and lifts served by them have the same number, there is excellent sign posting with all the arrival points named and how to get down to them by whichever piste (blue, red or black are usually named a b or c) Look at the route for Hochbrixen to Brixen im Thale to see what I mean - lift 1 is the gondola up to Hochbrixen and Pistes 1A, 1B and 1C are your options back down - all are sign posted from the top with the name Brixen.

Toofy Grin
latest report
powellshire, Wednesdy to Saturday 6.30 - 10.15 pm depending on the run. Can't work out the price as it's all in German when you click on the price link: http://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/night-skiing-in-soell.html I know it was enough for us not to bother!
snow report
Samerberg Sue, well unless they have changed it in the last 12 months, IMO it is not well signposted, and there are no piste numbers, just lift numbers. I have never seen so many people stood around looking at maps and wall charts in the 14 years I've been skiing nor come across so many skiers on the mountains totally lost! It's a 'negative' on many reviews/forums so we are not alone. rolling eyes The Tourist Office informed me that they have no intention of numbering the pistes as they have too many! Still a lovely area to ski, just a c**p marking/map sytem.
ski holidays
sharon1953, 21 Euro for an evening card (Abendkarte) which is a tad OTT if you have paid for a weeks pass.

The combined day & night pass is not too bad - 55 Euro which is 42 eruo for the day ticket and only an extra 13 Euro for the evening.

Very Happy
ski holidays
sharon1953 wrote:
powellshire, Wednesdy to Saturday 6.30 - 10.15 pm depending on the run. Can't work out the price as it's all in German when you click on the price link: http://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/night-skiing-in-soell.html I know it was enough for us not to bother!

Per night: adult €21, youth (18-20) €16, children (8-17) €10, under 8 free (I presume). Single run (quite a long one if it is right from the top of the Hochsöll slopes to the valley): €8 - €6 - €4.
snow conditions
sharon1953, the pistes are clearly numbered at the side on the lollipop thingys which also show the grading. The map is a nightmare but picking your lifts and then your pistes and the points you are going to pass by normally works. They do have a problem as it is virtually impossible to represent all the upper routes where there are not many trees.

The correlation of lift numbers to pistes started about 3 years ago. Knowing the name of the lift (easy from the piste map) also helps. There are plenty of sign posts at the main crossings, it just up to you to stop and read if you are not too sure. I still have a tendency to ski too fast at times and miss turnings, ending up one or two lifts further on.

I've been skiing a lot longer than 14 years, speak fluent French and German and have often found people lost in a variety of resorts - it happens - some people are useless with maps no matter how clear they are or how few lifts/pistes there are. I also get lost in resorts that are new to me, but some how I usually end up where I want to be at the right-ish time. It is my mistake not the resorts!

T'is easier to blame the tools than say I fooked up isn't it Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy