Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 10/11

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

3 WEEKS TO GO!!!!

Me too, champing at the bit is probably an understatement!

We stay in St Ulrich near Fieberbrunn but always check out new places, I like the look of Sportgastein and will be suggesting it to our group.

Thanks to everyone for the updates and pictures, I will be watching this thread like a hawk for the next 3 weeks. .
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
harryw, if you're thinking of driving east, you might like to try the Hochkönig area (not quite as far as the Gastein valley, though that should be possible too). In the Hochkönig a new lift now means that it is linked from Maria Alm (Abergbahn) all the way to Mühlbach (and back).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
espri, although i've never been there, Hochkönig is apparently very nice. Very idyllic skiing based around traditional Austrian villages. I must get over there myself, especially as it's so close to Gastein like you say.

Kersh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kersh, you really must ski Hochkönig, it´s so beautiful with the backdrop of the Steinendermeer, I was up there a few days last month, it was deserted Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kooky, cracking shot!!! You're right, I must get up there!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
espri, thanks for the suggestion - must admit it's not somewhere I've heard of but they are often the best! Nice shot as well kooky, I'm going to do some more investigation on the net. .
I admit I find it very difficult to judge distances in the mountains, a couple of years ago we'd started off at Leogang but were above Saalbach when the weather turned, we sent the girls down to Saalbach while we battled back to Leogang for the car (was a bit of an adventure!) - I remember being amazed it took an hour or more to get round in the car to pick them up!

espri, can you give a rough idea how long a drive it is from Fieberbrunn to Hochkonig?
Cheers, Harry
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
in Kuhtai just outside Innsbruck, pistes were very good yesterday and this morning but later on today the wind blew all the surface snow of one side of the valley leaving a pretty bare and boiler plate surface, tricky for all but the best on the mountain and mz board did not like it at all ! The other side of the mountain was ok and I just might pop out for a bit of night boarding, so I
hope the piste is not too frozen !!

All in all the pistes are prefect for skiing, or will be when they are bashed again over night, and not a brown spot in sight anywhere !!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can anyone give me any hope that there'll be more snow in Schladming in the next couple of weeks?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges, don't worry there was plenty there last week and the chances of another dump look good later on next week. We had knee deep powder on the pistes and Scapa had a ball tree skiing!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
harryw wrote:
espri, can you give a rough idea how long a drive it is from Fieberbrunn to Hochkonig?

About 45 mins from Fieberbrunn to the Abergbahn at Maria Alm. Sportgastein (which is right at the top of the Gastein valley) would probably be about the same again, I estimate (or a little more?).

Note: skiing from Maria Alm to Mühlbach and back is quite a full day. Of course, you can always turn back earlier, e.g. at Dienten.

EDIT: Corrected lift name and added note.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last day of our trip today and it was very warm in Bad Gastein. Real spring skiing and soft snow in places. Still great though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Reeeeaaaaally warm in Soll today. I was wearing my onsie though so no wonder I was hot. Only 1 thermal underneath but still boiling! Warm-ness meant to be here till Wednesday-ish then hopefully some cold white stuff will follow!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Samerberg Sue, thanks, don't know where you're getting your info, but am happy with that thought!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, on the spot and local knowledge wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
night skiing on soft piste at 9pm Shocked Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops, was that last night?
snow conditions
Well im all booked to go to Saalbach for the 26 march, im a bit unsure if that maybe bit late in the season but crossed fingers it should be ok even if the snow reports are not showing a great amount of snow at the moment.If not plenty of sun cream and my walking boots might get some good use Smile
latest report
Just had a fab 2 hours up on Zauchensee, pistes were perfect, really haven´t skied better groomed pistes all season, fairly busy though, and the off piste is very tracked out. Just home for some lunch then back up, may have to take the bikini...it was plus 5 at 2000m at 11 am Shocked
latest report
Back from Zell after brilliant week!

It's been sunny and very mild, and the snow is starting to suffer a bit with the blacks in particular quite icy in places. However the snow higher up and over on Sonnenalm is fine, and the Kaprun glacier conditions are very good.

They are grooming the pistes well and it's been cold enough at night to get the cannons on and shore up the scraped bits.

Off-piste is completely tracked out and very hard going, so didn't really bother.

Good edges served me well, I must say. Zell could do with some more snow but it's coping OK for now. What a beautiful resort it is too.

ps, Crazy Daisys wasn't especially crazy when we were there, but I do need to find a copy of the Danish oompah version of the Kings of Leon's Sex on Fire!!!
snow report
Skied our local hill in the afternoon,Radstadt , still very skiable right down to the valley(800meters)

Snow was fairly varied higher up, lots of scraped icy patches , heavier slush in on the south facing slopes, a very mixed bag but still fun Very Happy Temps really up though, +8 at 1700m at 2pm

A word of warning though, the car parks here are a nightmare with ice, I fell over twice Embarassed tread careful, would be an ironic twist of fate to go home with a non-ski related injury Shocked (and no, I hadn´t been drinking!)
latest report
In Zell today. Very warm but managed a great day's skiing. Sure beats work. They groom the pistes very well so as long as night temps stay cool hopefully should survive this balmy period! Cool
snow report
Tom W, Cheers for that Tom. Sounds great. You in Bad Gastein? stayed there with ski miquel season before last, we had a fantastic time but high wind kept sportgastein closed all week. I can recommend Graukogel (?) area if weather does happen to turn nasty, seemed to be more sheltered over there to us. Only a small area but all bar the very bottom lovely skiing.
Geoff
ski holidays
heidiky, That does'nt sound unmanagable at all. Thanks for the insider info
Geoff
latest report
geoffkay wrote:
I can recommend Graukogel (?) area if weather does happen to turn nasty, seemed to be more sheltered over there to us.

Yep, the Graukogel is great if the weather's not so great. It's small so not so many people, plus a nice couple of blacks. I'm a fan. snowHead

Kersh
snow report
If you are thinking of going to Hochkoenig then well worth thinking about Dienten which is a really pretty little village and last time I visited (not this year) was absolutely smothered in snow.
snow report
geoffkay, I was back home last night , we had great 8.5 days of sun and good snow in Schladming and Bad Gastein. It did worked out to move from one resort to another after 4 days - easy trip by train - well under 2h. It felt like skiing different area every day. Did not try Graukogel. We did 2 days in main area above Bad Gastein/Hofgastein and other 2 days in Sport and Dorf..... hope I get around a post a photo trip report Very Happy
snow report
kooky wrote:
I fell over twice Embarassed tread careful, would be an ironic twist of fate to go home with a non-ski related injury Shocked (and no, I hadn´t been drinking!)

And there the problem lies Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
rayscoops, was that last night?

yes Sat night and it was a bit like how the piste might be at 10 am after getting a few hours of morning sun (much softer than March last year when it was not too much fun on my board) and my skier mates thought it was simply the best conditions they had experienced especially as there were not many people on the piste at all

On the whole the conditions were fantastic and the pistes were in top notch condition.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, thanks, very reassuring! Very Happy
ski holidays
geoffkay wrote:
Tom W, Cheers for that Tom. Sounds great. You in Bad Gastein? stayed there with ski miquel season before last, we had a fantastic time but high wind kept sportgastein closed all week. I can recommend Graukogel (?) area if weather does happen to turn nasty, seemed to be more sheltered over there to us. Only a small area but all bar the very bottom lovely skiing.
Geoff

Hey Geoff did you stay in the tannenburg ? ive stayed there twice now with the wife and although the hotel is old it is real cosy.Have to agree about Graukogel too lovely little spot to try, and was gutted i missed a morning there on our last trip as another couple we met got an extra day lift pass and went there on the sunday we were coming home but as our flight was early eve there was time to ski the morn, we never but they did and as it snowed most of the night they had the slopes to themselves and was knee deep and fresh.
I was going to book to go back there this year but decided on a change of scenery and i hope Saalbach is as nice.
snow conditions
The linky dinky below predicts some snow for the end of the week

http://www.bergfex.com/scheffau/#/scheffau/wetter/
ski holidays
slikedges wrote:
rayscoops, thanks, very reassuring! Very Happy

some photos clicked off on my phone

snow report
Flying out to St Anton on Saturday morning......should I be worried?
snow report
dazman, are you a good flyer and who are you flying with - if Ryanair I would be worried - crap airline wink
snow report
rayscoops, looks pretty good and hopefully there'll also be a bit of snow in a week or so, just that I heard it was 10 deg C in town at the mo!
snow report
slikedges, yep it is, was +12 at 1700 m Shocked but I just got back from skiing Zauchensee/Flachawinkl, it was amazing!!!!relax, the snow will still be here wink
ski holidays
slikedges, it was about -7 for night skiing at 2400 meters on Sat night and there was still snow on the ground around the airport in Innsbruck on Sunday morning when I left. Kuhtai is at 2000 m though with the top lift at 2600m (ish) so it can take a few warm days without any problem, plus the valley aspect (north / south facing I think) and high surrounding mountains means that half of the resort pistes are shaded for long periods of the day at this time of year and not getting baked with direct sun light. I literally boarded back to the front door of my apartment block at 9.30 pm in the dark down an unlight (easy) piste with a bit off off-piste at the end (very bright night and quite well lit with the apartment lights etc) - so the snow can not be too bad !! Quite a bit of cloud cover on Sunday morning too
snow report
heidiky, going out to Soll on the 19th Feb, how do you think the snow will be then? This is my second time snowboarding in Europe and last time it was really really icy, over in Montgenevre in France. I'm a little bit paranoid about there being no snow!

Thanks

D
ski holidays
TheDelaney, don't panic - although it is warm during the day, the night time temps are in the minuses (due to the clear nights) and they are blowing snow like there's no tomorrow.

To be honest, it is perfect Spring weather for skiing and the piste maintenance is superb. There just may not be much in the way of good untracked off-piste unless we get a mega cold spell followed by some long lasting dumps of snow. The exposed ground is a wee bit soft and warmed up at the moment, increasing the avvy risk, should we get a huge dump of snow on it. Better for it to re-freeze and then snow.

The forecast today is for it to start getting colder towards the end of this week and giving the chances of snow at the weekend a mega boost. We are forecast snow on Friday and Saturday at the moment, and that is our proper local forecast not the Tourist Office one wink
snow report
Brilliant, that eased the nerves a bit Smile

How much snow is forecast?

D
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy