Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race Skis for a non-racer??

Poster: A snowHead
Ive been offered a really cheap pair of race skis from a mate. They are Atomic Race GS 10's, 174cm. I am 14 stone, 6'2 and an fairly quick on-piste skier who wants to progress.

Now I know that I should ideally be getting myself a pair of skis that fully fit my level of ability and what I want them for (clearly these skis do neither) but they are bloomin cheap and I would be helping my mate out.

My question is......If I bought these skis, would their shape and construction hamper me or help me?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
speedy, if you are a really fit skier, I think they'd be good for you on piste. My own experience of race skis (or skis hired as race skis) was that I was not fit enough to drive them hard for hours - and so whilst they were delightful at the start of the day, my legs had packed in by the end, and turning became a nightmare. That said, from what I have read, the GS10 is a moderately detuned ski - so all might be well. Maybe give them a try out in a fridge before you buy?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buy them, you'll get used to them and love 'em.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They're cheap. Buy them. Try them (you're big enough to flex them). Enjoy them...or if not, sell them without a loss.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
speedy, they sound a little short for you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, The length should be fine, they are not FIS level skis.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I normally ski with 174cm skis. Would I need longer race skis?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
speedy, What do you want to use them for ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just general on-piste skiing with occaison trips to snow-domes, maybe the odd low-level race
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
speedy, If you want to try racing indoors then the equivalent slalom ski in a shorter length would be better, the ones on offer would be good for ESF Fleche races and on piste skiing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
speedy, Pefect for on piste skiing go nuts! They will be stable, responsive and if you have a resonable ski competance you should be able to work them!

Enjoy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That clears it up - Ill buy em!

One thing though, why would they be harder work the more tired I got??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
speedy, they are stiffer and less forgiving. Saying that I used to have some non FIS GS skis and loved them.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs, sorry, overly subtle irony..or facetiousness if you insist.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It depends how do you actually ski. First, 174cm are not really race skis (unless they are junior GS skis, which are much closer to store models then race stock skis anyway), so they won't be as hard as real race skis are. Based on length I would say they are GS skis you can get in store. And such skis are made for non-racers anyway. If you are normal skier, you will do fine with them. On the other hand, if you are beginner, this wouldn't be best option.
Otherwise personally I never ski with anything else then race stock skis (193cm GS and 165cm SL skis)... at least on piste. They feel a lot different then "normal" store skis, and also ski a lot different. And once you ski all your life on those, there's just no way to go back to shorter and a lot softer skis anymore. But for those skis, you know without asking here, if they are right for you or not Wink
latest report
Guys, all very helpful.......but hes flogged them!!!!!!!

Think I will still invest in a pair though!!
snow report
Consumer race skis are great piste skis for anyone who carves and I highly recommend them, don't let the race tag put you off, consumer skis are not like the FIS skis. The extra edge hold, stiffness and responsiveness made a huge difference to my skiing when I switched. They are (and designed to be) a one trick poney though so they will lay trenches on packed snow and hardpack all day long.

I certainly would not want to be using GS skis in a snowdome though! Get some SL skis for this.
ski holidays
I would suggest not buying them. In my experience a proper race ski will be stiff to the extent that manipulating the shape of the turns becomes a lot tougher and only possible to a certain extent. They are designed to hold an edge and a certain radius of turn, that might be fine for blasting mach speed down some blues but when you get to steeper terrain and need to steer the skis more and play with the turn shape they will be resisting against you. You will find yourself skiing hard everywhere, good for a while but not the best all round piste ski unless you want to ski the steeps like you are training GS gates all the time.

That being said I have a pair of 4yr old GS race skis that are soo soft now I can bend them into doing nice shorter radius turns and pretty much whatever I want. This might be what you will get by buying a race ski that is slightly softer than the factory skis and a little shorter. You will however still be manipulating a ski that naturally wants to do one thing into doing something else, is that what you want from your new skis? Surely a tool designed for the job is going to be infinately better
snow report
Cheers Guys, please feel free to recommend a suitable ski and I would be interested in anything that anyone has available

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1575786#1575786

Cheers Phi
latest report
eclectic wrote:
I would suggest not buying them. In my experience a proper race ski will be stiff to the extent that manipulating the shape of the turns becomes a lot tougher and only possible to a certain extent.

Except skis in question are not proper race skis Wink Proper race skis, at least in my opinion, are FIS legal, race stock skis. Store skis wear "race" mark and design of race stock skis to sell them easier. You wouldn't believe how many people want to ski skis with same top sheets as Bode has. Considering huge majority of those people is nowhere near being able to handle real race skis, companies invented store "race" skis. They look same, but they are far from same when you ski (or just measure) them. So as I wrote before already, I think people with decent ski knowledge can easily handle "race" skis you buy in stores. But considering I have no idea how good skier OP is, I won't suggest buying or not buying them.
latest report
primoz, I was disappointed once with a pair of Dynastar race stock, GS skis. I had been using a pair of Speed 63 for ages, they were awesome, shop stock. The Race stock version I got was way way softer, god or bad, depends on the user, however they were way easier to ski and left me short of the power and performance of my Speed 63. Just chuck that one into any hat lying about.
snow conditions
It could be. I have zero experience with Dynastar, very limited with Rossi (nowadays that's same ski, but before it wasn't), so I believe you if you say so. Majority of my experiences are with Fischer, and then some less (and reaching further back) with Elan and Mizuno. But at least with these skis, I never saw store race ski being anywhere near race stock skis. But if you say you have such experience with Dynastar, I believe you.
snow report
primoz, Has to say it starts and ends there. Had a good punt on many of their skis though, mostly working in the way you describe.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy