Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does the "Intermediate Plateau" really exist?

Poster: A snowHead
You hear many people complaining their boots don't flex - particularly if they are skiing in something too stiff for their level.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The concrete style boot still remain among kids' hire equipment. I believe that's why so many get used to leaning back.

Nope - kids lean back because they aren't strong enough to stand as an adult would.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski should I be actively aware of my ankles flexing, or should it just be something that happens automatically if my stance and weight distribution is correct and I am carving my turns?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that the Intermediate plateau definitely does exist - at least as far as the total skiing experience is concerned. IME most people get to "do a black" after the first or second week, and thereafter for a while it's a case of blasting the blues, cruising the reds and challenging yourself with the blacks. Hopefully you'll be doing them faster and more smoothly with time, but things fall apart big time when you venture off-piste, so you're essentially doing the same thing. Eventually though your skill level gets to the point where you CAN start making a decent fist of the off-piste, and a whole new area of the mountain opens up - and you get off that perceived plateau. I've recently made that transition and my skiing has suddenly taken off.

I was also not too convinced in the early days about the problem of spending the first half of your annual week getting back to the level of the previous year - I generally felt I was back there in about half a day. However I did feel I wasn't getting enough miles done at only one week a year, so stepped up to two or more about 5 years ago - and the difference in progress was huge (far more than just twice as fast). It may just be increasing years (now 45), or the fact the bar has been raising pretty fast recently, but I do now take longer to get back to where I was earlier - it takes a bit of time to get the reflexes and muscles working in harmony (and it also takes longer to get them fired up in the morning). Having said that though, perception does come into it as it does seem as if that "gentle warm-up blue" we're talking about on the first chair-lift transforms to a steep off-piste mogul run by the time we get on to the snow rolling eyes !

As for the lessons thing, I did pretty much what easiski moaned about above - a couple of weeks fairly intense lessons, then 6-8 weeks of not much. In a lesson in about my 4th week at Les Arcs the ESF instructor sorted out a bit of a problem with my body position (that made a huge difference) then told me that I knew pretty much everything I needed (for that experience level), it's just my body hadn't learned how to do it yet; i.e. I knew the theory and it was just a matter of miles uner the boot required to get it into my reflexes. As a contrast, the girl I was sharing the lesson with was skilful and coordinated enough to do pretty much everything the instructor wanted - but was too timid to push herself into doing it (and would forever remain an intermediate until she gave it that push). In my case two breakthroughs happened: in about week 6 (stiff body suddenly started flexing in response to more advanced demands from the terrain) and week 13 (body suddenly got independent upper and lower body movements and ankle, knee and hips actually started working together naturally). Just after that 6-week breakthough I decided I needed to make a better job of moguls and steeps so I had a bunch of lessons at Breckenridge at about week 7, but they were pretty much useless (in one case teaching completely misguided techniques IMHO Wink and another just a pretty incompetently delivered "follow me" type) and taught me virtually nothing. Subsequent to week 13 lessons have been making a fairly substantial difference - but of course things still fall apart when the skill envelope gets pushed too hard. I've always had no trouble in picking up what it is I'm supposed to do, but getting my body to execute it has been a tougher job. So in summary, I think there is no substitute for miles under boots, and use lessons to make sure a) you're not getting into too bad habits and b) help you push that envelope WHEN YOUR BODY IS READY FOR IT. As you get more advanced, I also suspect that while the improvements to technique may be smaller, they make more of a difference to your overall performance. So would that mean that lessons/coaching become MORE important than on the intermediate plateau? FWIW - while I'm sure I have plenty of faults that could be corrected, I have been told I'm a pretty good skier for my experience level (120 days).

beanie1Agree about the undone boots thing - concentrates the mind. And another variation I discovered this year....one of my touring bindings switched itself into uphill mode (free heel) part way down a mogul run which made the bottom part a bit more interesting - and was actually the bit I skied best (but not necessarily something I'd recommend Shocked )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer,

I think ankle flex is something you do have to think about and work on - some people, even advanced skiers, have very little. A girl in my trainee instructor group had this problem, and to work on it the trainer made us all do an exercise where we skied with our ankles locked forward in the flex position, but we weren't allowed to move them at all whilst we skied. This is pretty tricky and makes you realise how improtant ankle flex is - we had to change other body movements in order to turn.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1, but might I be doing it without being aware that I'm doing it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I recently did a Women only course in Whistler. One exercise to improve our flex was to put both hands on your downhill knee.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer,

Yes, most likely. When I'm free skiing I spend quite a lot of time thinking about one particular movement, just becoming aware of it and how I'm performing in that area. Ankle flex is a good one for that, it's probably something you rarely think about outside of lessons.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer, Yes, you should be aware, but not thinking about it all the time. For instance, sometimes I do a turn that isn't going very well and then realise I haven't flexed enough - do it and the end of the turn comes back to you. It does depend on how well you flex to start with - with your experience you probably do it automaticlally anyway.

GrahamN, things fall apart off piste through faulty technique - no other reason!

Helen Beaumont, That's a good exercise, but it's possible to do it by lowering the shoulders almost as much as by flexing. Also It's possible to flex the knee and sit back while doing it. It's definitely useful (I did it this morning with my girlies), but not a self-help exercise.

Martin H, I did my Grade 3 and my Grade 2 in the 70's and we definitely flexed in the plastic boots. In leather boots everyone tended to over-flex anyway (didn't matter in those days - look at the difference in speed and turn shape), however when the plastic boot came out it was a lot harder. We had to move out whole body forward to get sufficient weight over the toe. Having said that we managed it, and if you look at archive film of top racers you'll see that they were flexing.

The Salomon SX90 Equipe was too stiff, and most people couldn't flex it. Many cut through the plastic joining the bands across the front to get more flex. That was just a very bad boot though. All the other models flexed more than enough. Most people say they can't flex, but they just aren't trying hard enough!! Sorry to disolusion you. Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
Most people say they can't flex, but they just aren't trying hard enough!! Sorry to disolusion you. Sad

I'm not disolusioned, I agree with you! I can also get my Xwave10 to flex a long way. Just remembering what I saw on the slopes and my own experience. Perhaps I was mixing with wrong sort of skiers. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, I think that you overestimate my experience and ability. Next season I'll have to arrange a private lesson with you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:
things fall apart off piste through faulty technique - no other reason!

Agreed completely - the point I was making was the not particularly profound one that there's a world of difference between knowing what you are supposed to be doing and having the muscle control, balance and reflexes to achieve it. As rutted cruddy off-piste, or a fearsome mogul run if that's more to your taste, is a lot less forgiving that the carefully tended pistes, the time taken to develop adequate reflexes to cope with that terrain is the plateau.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

The Salomon SX90 Equipe was too stiff

Quote:

That was just a very bad boot though

No, just designed with Marc Girardelli in mind Twisted Evil

A classic case of "we make NASA grade metal springs, surely we can make ski boots. Can't be that hard can it?"

Err, yes!

In fairness I owned a pair of SX93s, never been so dissociated from my skis in my life...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN, fair point I think.

But it's not a "plateau", just a slowing of the learning "economy" curve and certainly not an excuse for not doing better!

Although you bring out another point (of view?) - Does good (proper) technique make life so much easier?

I believe it does. If you ski bumps "properly" you need so much less muscle control, balance and reflexes that it becomes immensely easier. But you need to be taught that technique. You almost certainly can't learn that by watching and imitating. Well, I couldn't anyway!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski wrote:
kids lean back because they aren't strong enough to stand as an adult would.

I've been thinking about this. Doesn't it take more energy to lean back, as opposed to standing in a balanced posture? The muscles on the front of the body must be taking the strain.
It seems natural that kids/beginners should want to stay vertical, which on a slope translates to leaning back. Fear of scraping your nose off would be another factor, they'd rather land on their bums.
latest report
Kids ski on short skis which don't run so well. And we all know if you want to go faster, sit back and unweight the fronts. So maybe that's why they lean back?
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
But it's not a "plateau", just a slowing of the learning "economy" curve and certainly not an excuse for not doing better!

Although you bring out another point (of view?) - Does good (proper) technique make life so much easier?

If you ski bumps "properly" you need so much less muscle control, balance and reflexes that it becomes immensely easier.

The other point I made above was that while the mastery of the actual technique comes gradually, I think there comes a point where this generates a step change in capability, and hence the end of the plateau. For example, I would say that there's a qualitative difference between gingerly doing a mogul run 2 or 3 bumps at a time and taking it in one shot - albeit slowly. Once you can do the latter you're off that experiential plateau and can work on getting it faster and cooler. Similarly once you can tackle rutted crusty stuff without falling over every 5 minutes you're on your way.

I agree that execution of proper technique does make life immensely easier, but it's the acquisition of the muscle control, balance and reflexes that make this possible.

My other major hobby is church bellringing (where we can end up guiding a ton or two of metal around for 3-4 hours at a time), which has both beginners and intermediate plateaux. Beginners heave and haul around on the end of a rope, expending a tremendous amount of energy because they are either pulling at the wrong time, overpulling and working hard against themselves or underpulling and then desperately trying to get the bell back under control. This is all because they've not yet learned the reflexes and feedback from the rope that tells the more experienced of us to pull harder now or relax a bit here. These signals happen far too quickly to make conscious decisions about how much to pull. The main job of the teacher after the first couple of lessons (apart from recovering things when it all goes pear-shaped) is getting the pupil to relax and coordinate the various muscles to get a long efficient pulls which give them the opportunity to then make those responses. Once you've got it though, you'll have more control than those heaving beginners even if gently ringing with only one arm. (The intermedate plateau is more intellectual and mental than physical)

Similarly the feedback you get through the ski from the snow as you rise into a slightly bigger bump or go over a rut will tell you unconsciously how much to absorb or how much to shift your balance forward or back. A fraction of a second later it will tell you something different. If you're still consciously reacting to the earlier signal you'll do the wrong thing and end up with your arms flailing around and falling out the back or faceplanting. One lesson in my 2nd week we were doing a steep bumpy powdery section (or so it seemed at the time) somewhere off the Argentiere glacier. I eventually managed a good turn which really pleased the instructor - but it took so much effort and willpower to consciously control my muscles to achieve it I was crackered for the rest of the run. I'm sure your muscles knowing subconsciously how much to compensate for these small changes is the discriminator for getting off that intermediate plateau. Comfortably cuising the intermediate pistes doesn't really require these responses.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, Kids lean back because they aren't strong enough to stand up !

and,
Quote:

Comfortably cuising the intermediate pistes doesn't really require these responses.

Correct - variety is the spice of life !

The problem for UK based skiers is that 1) we live too far away from the snow, and so we are much less likely to have started skiing when we are young (i.e. when our bodies are busily learning how to do stuff), and 2) We'd much rather spend our hard-earned on a flashy new pair of skis instead of buying some lessons. 1) Is quite difficult to fix, but 2) ?

On the other side, we are talking about what people do on holiday, so of you are enjoying youself, whatever you standard, surely that's what it's about !
ski holidays
ski,

Agree. Sometimes I think professional skiers forget this as they are so used to being utterly immersed in their sport, and forget that others may just want to enjoy it and not be constantly striving to improve.

Saying that though I am all in favour of lessons, even if it's just an hour of your holiday.
snow report
GrahamN, a very interesting analogy.

I am a big fan of the idea of "muscle learning" (whether it's the muscles or not that actually do the learning I don't really care...). I guess what I'm referring to is much along the same lines.

I was taught a specific technique in bumps. I can do it fluently (after much practice). Two interesting things I find are...

1. that when I teach on to friends, they are amazed at how much easier it makes everything - although it takes practise to do at speed and high frequency

and

2. after a lot of days on snow this year, I noticed a small but quantum difference in my own bumps technique. I seem to have incorporated a small but automatic check into my turn, which is making a big difference to speed control. Previously I had to make a conscious effort to do this. I don't think anyone would notice me doing this, but I can feel it. I think it's simply a function of repetition.

So, leading on again, I think I have had summers where I have improved during the summer - maybe because I spend a lot of time thinking about it, envisioning it and watching ski films.

Can this be true? I think so.

An article referred to elsewhere on "mirror neurons" suggested training injured athletes by showing them videos of people doing their sport as the brain fired in similar ways both while practising and while watching the same activity on screen.
ski holidays
ski, I don't agree about kids. It's not necessary for kids to lean back at all, and many of the little ones I've taught don't. Why? Because I insist that little beginners have skis no more than chest height (no, not shoulder, chest)! I find that they then learn a) much quicker and b) don't have the same tendency to lean back. I've come to the opinion that they largely do this in order to try to control the front of too long skis when ploughing. Also I almost never tell children how to turn (a bit harder on plastic for sure) as once they can plough they just decide where to go and automatically go there - really! If you tell them they'll go where they look they just do it - no sweat!!!

Regarding holiday skiers - of course they are there to enjoy themselves; but no-one has the right to enjoy themselves at the expense of everyone else. Most of the poor (I don't need lessons) skiers actively put the rest of us at risk for the entirety of their holiday. Just this week I've heard of 3 incidents when out of control skiers have knocked over children, and that's only people I know in a quiet week. BTW none of them stopped!

GrahamN, Interesting analagy. However, as every movement we make while ski-ing is a movement that we already make every day of our lives (except snowplough), I'm not sure about it's validity. It does seem to me that many people (including loads of instructors) try to make learning to ski seem much harder than it really needs to be. Our bodies can already ski really well - our subconcious minds just get in the way. If we can allow out bodies to do it naturally we can do it all. Unfortunately we do often need help to do this, but it shouldn't be difficult in terms of muscle movements etc.

MartinH, Depends what you mean by vertical - we need to be perpendicular to the ground we're currently standing on (whether a slope or your sitting room floor) to remain in balance - vertical to the world in general isn't it. When people understand this they are generally able to stay perpendicular as required. Smile
latest report
ski wrote:

The problem for UK based skiers is that 1) we live too far away from the snow, and so we are much less likely to have started skiing when we are young (i.e. when our bodies are busily learning how to do stuff), and 2) We'd much rather spend our hard-earned on a flashy new pair of skis instead of buying some lessons. 1) Is quite difficult to fix, but 2) ?

Yes, I agree. You can always spot UK skiers, over half of them look like the aftermath of a ram-raid at snow and rock.

I'd bankrupt the country if my kit purchase rate per slope day was even close to some of the people here Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

half of them look like the aftermath of a ram-raid at snow and rock.

ise, Laughing Does this relate to the law of diminishing returns;the more you spend on this seasons must have's,the less likely it is you will know how to use them wink

As far as the 'plateau' is concerned,it only exists if you have higher aspirations;which,sadly,many do not.Lets face it,for many its a beach holiday with snow.Many acquire a means of 'pottering' around,and have no wish to take it any further?That would be fine,if it were not for the danger aspect mentioned by easiski.As the father of an 8yr old,I am acutely aware of these idiots!It comes to something when an 8yr old has to dodge adults who have lost control.There have also been a few who have had to dodge me Evil or Very Mad
Does anyone do an 'anger management' course............in French and Italian wink
snow report
This 'kid' thing is interesting.My 8yr old daughter,having initially 'learnt' at Tamworth(and I wouldn't say that the 'kiddy' lessons amounted to much)has only ever had one other lesson;with easiski.Of her own free will,by mimicking whatever?she is parallel 75% of the time;does any red we choose to go down(and thinks nothing of it)loves the bumps,and even ventured into the powder a couple of weeks ago.And has also developed a powerful turn stop.She now falls less often than me rolling eyes On our recent trip to Les Arcs,she skied from the top of the Aiguille at 3200,down to the Navette at 1800,almost without a stop(yes,we were chasing the last chair........and missed it!)Believe me,that is a long ski.She loved every minute of it.As easiski rightly states,kids just do it,no sweat Cool And dad is very proud of her.

She enjoys the type of skiing we all chase.No intellectual baggage,no over analysis,she just see's a giant white playground,and goes for it.
What sometimes saddens me is witnessing adults place 'their' fears and inhibitions on their children.Most kids are well able to sort it for themselves IMHO.

And yes Charlotte,Livvy still remembers the 'chips';and you Laughing
ski holidays
easiski, Good points...as it's now the summer I'll have planty of children to teach (school groups)....I have been using shorter skis, I'll see how I get on with you're advice.

Quote:

Regarding holiday skiers - of course they are there to enjoy themselves; but no-one has the right to enjoy themselves at the expense of everyone else. Most of the poor (I don't need lessons) skiers actively put the rest of us at risk for the entirety of their holiday. Just this week I've heard of 3 incidents when out of control skiers have knocked over children, and that's only people I know in a quiet week. BTW none of them stopped!

Of course I don't mean to support anyone being dangerous on the slopes (of any standard), but what I was trying to get across was that this is a holiday after all, but, as you say people should not endanger others, or themselves......I'm tempted to have a rant about people skiing off piste without the proper training or equipment - but that's probably for another topic....
latest report
easiski,
Quote:
Also I almost never tell children how to turn (a bit harder on plastic for sure)

I'm glad it's not just me! It works on plastic too. Most kids don't want theory anyway, they just want to do it. A variety of fun exercises helps them establish good habits.
snow report
ski, & MartinH, Cool
latest report
I think the intermediate plateau exists.

In my case it was the transition between following my skis round the turn and learning to push my feet out to the side that took a while to get the hang of...just when I thought I'd got it, it was either trecherously icy or too powdery so it took a while to get the hang of it! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The intermediate plateau definitely exists IMO. It is where a skier gets competant on red and blues and can get a lot of mileage ( literally ) from their holiday.
However, they struggle on anything tricky or technical. This is because they have hit a comfort zone where they can surely get around the mountain but have got lazy and can or will not push themselves anymore. This does not mean this is bad as the skier might be quite happy here. It only becomes an issue if the skier wants to push on and for that there will be some hard work involved.
latest report
I agree with JT. The plateau certainly exists. The reason being, ironically, that it is too easy to ski with poor technique (leaning in, over-rotating with shoulders) and "get away with it" on flatter groomed slopes. And the longer people continue to do that, the "worse" they're becoming, because the incorrect movements become more and more hardwired into the muscle memory.

This is what JT calls "the comfort zone". It feels comfortable to make these movements because they tie in with your (non-skiing) instincts, which tell you to lean in like you're riding a bike, use the shoulders to "help" the skis around the turn, and lean towards the hill (and away from the yawning abyss) when on a steeper slope. But good ski technique is "counter-intuitive". Learning it requires overcoming these instincts and creating new instincts.

So you could argue that the longer you remain on the intermediate plateau, the harder it becomes to escape from it. But escape it you must, if you want to master carved turns, bumps, off-piste or steeps.

But it's also a strength of skiing, as a sport, that people can enjoy themselves for years on those blue and red runs without ever needing to make that next breakthrough.
snow report
Martin Bell,

Off topic, but what's the skiing like in Taos?
latest report
Martin Bell, Well said. However, although I hesitate to disagree with you I don't actually think the movements made in ski-ing are necessarily "counter-intuitive". I have experimented many times in trainers running down hills, making various "turns" being more or less aggressive etc. and it seems to me that in all these there is a direct correllation to ski-ing. I think that the sub-concious "flight or fight" response just gives us bum information.

I absolutely agree that people can spend years at the same level quite happily and may never wish to progress - I know one woman who's spent 4 weeks on the first nursery slope here! OK she doesn't ski much every day, but if she enjoys a couple of turns on the (free) lift and then a nice coffee in the sun with her book, I don't see any problem, personally. Very Happy
snow report
easiski, you're right that when people change direction quickly, there is a beneficial (for skiing) instinct there to "drop the hip" to the inside and keep the shoulders level. You see this with athletes - good examples here: http://www.northernfc.co.uk/rugby_player.gif
http://www.western.edu/alum/images/football/fball_player.gif
You're quite right; the damaging "lean into the hill" instinct on steep slopes is mainly caused by sub-conscious fear - which is fine! A little bit of fear keeps us from doing really stupid things on skis!

beanie1, the majority of the skiing at Taos is steep. You can view some video clips here: http://www.skitaos.org/MOUNTAIN/web_cam.php
snow report
Martin Bell wrote:
A little bit of fear keeps us from doing really stupid things on skis!

In my case it's a little bit of beer!

Martin, I believe you're instructing at ESA 06 next Jan/Feb. I look forward to demonstrating my version of the intermediate plateau to you then.
snow conditions
Martin Bell, Taos looks nice! snowHead snowHead

Good shots of the players. My sometime boss at the Uni of Bath (David Kerwin, Prof of Biomechanics) finshed a study and paper last year about David Beckham's curly kicks. I can't tell you about the tech stuff as I don't understand it properly (all algebra) but the photos were remarkably like ski-ing movements, except that he was always standing on his inside foot of course!
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Martin, I believe you're instructing at ESA 06 next Jan/Feb.

That's right - see you there!
snow report
I hate rear entry boots - they are always far too lose on the bottom of my foot and killing-ly tight on the top. Unfortunately they always give me these - better ask for some decent ones next time!
I got stuck on a plateau of not being able to go parallel. But I've done that now! (And I can get the number l's in parallel in the right place too! Laughing )
Julia
latest report
Rear entry boots, hmmm. What WERE they thinking when they came up with those?
snow report
beanie1,

Something along the lines of what extreme skier Dominique Perret's company "Thema Engineering" are thinking in designing their concept hybrid 4 buckle rear entry performance boot. Dig into http://www.skier.ch for details. Haven't seen any in production though...

IMHO for a lot of people a well fitting rear entry boot would be more than performant enough and considerably more comfortable than the 4 buckle equivalent, just not nearly fashionable enough.
snow report
crazy_skier_jules, good fitting rear entry boots are fine, I've still got an old pair of Reichle (sp?) boots that I use at the dry ski slope, so much better than the worn out boots they tend to use
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy